2013 NASCAR race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Wow! I didn't know about the Matt Kenseth problem. I'm not a Kenseth fan so it didn't upset me too much but it is shocking.

I wonder how the crew chief fine works. Does that 200,000 really come out of his pocket or is it more involved than that? If NASCAR determines that lower level mechanics messed up can they be fined too? I would think that would be really complicated. Everybody would want to point fingers at everybody else but they can't because they have to show team unity. There's usually someone in these cases who "takes one for the team".

I agree Garrett. I love night races!

Thanks for the updates.

according to an interview with ESPN Lee White, the president of The Toyota Racing Development took full blame for what happened. He said that the part that got Kenseth in trouble was a single connecting rod. It's a steel rod connects the piston to the crankshaft. As it turns out it was 2.7 grams or for americans less than 1/100th of an ounce. White equated it to the weight of two cotton balls. It wouldn't give Kenseth any advantage in a race but rules are rules. White said that it had nothing to do with Joe Gibbs Racing and it was all on TRD. They are hoping to appeal the decision and that TRD will do all they can to help JGR. They tested others and found one more from JGR and at least one from Michael Waltrip racing.

On a side note with the license being pulled does that mean Kenseth can't race???

Thanks Lizzy for the full explanation behind it. Did see where Toyota took credit for it, but do think that each team should examine their parts before using them. As for the owner's license do believe Matt will be able to drive, just means that Gibbs will not get any owner points during the duration that his license on that car is suspended.

Good question Roger on the fine....I remember after the altercation between Gordon and Bowyer last year where both their crew cheifs were fined that they said that the cc is responsible for ALL of the team which is why they are the ones to get fined and penalized. Do believe they said everyone pitches in or something like that for the monetary fine. Could be wrong on that last part.

Am sure Kenseth will try to appeal it as is Keselowski and Logano are doing with their penalties...will keep you updated with any other info.

This Matt Kenseth penalty seems harsh to me. I watch F1 where the cars usually have improvements and new parts for each race. Every designer tries to push the rules to the limit and find a loophole to gain some advantage. Occasionally a team is judged to have bent the rules too far and the offending part is banned. The last time I remember a driver/team being punished for illegal parts was several years ago.

With Matt Kenseth it looks like his team's supplier made a genuine mistake (which admittedly should have been spotted), and the car had a single engine component that was marginally below weight without giving any advantage. The team gets slapped with a large fine, points deductions, and crew chief ban while drivers who fight and deliberately take out other cars get nothing. I can understand a zero tolerance approach to vehicle specs, but I wish NASCAR would be a bit more consistent and proportionate with their sanctions. Surely stripping Matt of the win and the associated points would be enough.

I agree...the penalty does seem harsh since it does seem to be an mistake on Toyota's part. Do believe the engine should have been examined before they put it into the car, but still...a mistake is a mistake.

Though also do see NASCAR's view to feel like they should penalize it...I mean you allow this to slide, then it is going to be something bigger, and then bigger. Just don't agree with the extent of it.

Hoss...you reminded me of something Chad Knaus (Jimmie Johnson's crew cheif) had said when he was suspended a few years back (back when the COT was the new car and both Gordon's and Johnson's car had a part that was not the right size...they got penalized and the ccs got suspended and perhaps fined). Chad had said that the crew cheifs were paid to push the envelope (his words) as far as it will go. Sometimes they push it too far...or something like that. (Meaning that they push the rules as far as they will go...)

And I think the #1 problem I have with NASCAR would be their inconsistency with their punishments...or who gets punished for what and who doesn't get punished for the same thing. I even had sent them an e-mail about it and I just got a custom e-mail back saying they are too busy to respond but thanks for giving my time to NASCAR.

Kenseth's crew cheif will be with him this Saturday night as they are going ahead with the appeal. His suspension will start whenever they do the appeal and decide on what official penalty will go to the 20 team.

I agree completely with the last two posts. There should be punishment but this sounds excessive.

I just hope that the Commissioner of my fantasy NASCAR league (a certain Jeff Gordon fan) doesn't fine me for being the worst fantasy NASCAR player on yahoo....and if she does, a hockey fantasy Commissioner who I know personally (a certain Jesse Duke fan) will fine her for having too many Chicago Blackhawks players on her team.

I agree completely with the last two posts. There should be punishment but this sounds excessive.

I just hope that the Commissioner of my fantasy NASCAR league (a certain Jeff Gordon fan) doesn't fine me for being the worst fantasy NASCAR player on yahoo....and if she does, a hockey fantasy Commissioner who I know personally (a certain Jesse Duke fan) will fine her for having too many Chicago Blackhawks players on her team.

Worst fantasy NASCAR player? I think you are doing pretty good especially for your first year...keep positive. Plus I can't punish you when I am not doing much better. :D

To many Chicago Blackhawk palyers on my team? Never heard of such a thing! :D

Well we are back to some Saturday night racing tomorrow at Richmond...and this fan is excited! LOL.

Official starting order for Saturday night's race:

1 Matt Kenseth

2 Brian Vickers

3 Jeff Gordon

4 Kasey Kahne

5 Clint Bowyer

6 Juan Pablo Montoya

7 Joey Logano

8 Kyle Busch

9 Martin Truex Jr

10 Mark Martin

11 Marcos Ambrose

12 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

13 Jamie McMurray

14 Kurt Busch

15 Ryan Newman

16 Jeff Burton

17 Kevin Harvick

18 Dave Blaney

19 Dale Earnhardt Jr

20 David Ragan

21 Tony Stewart

22 David Reutimann

23 Brad Keselowski

24 AJ Allmendinger

25 David Stremme

26 Jimmie Johnson

27 Josh Wise

28 Carl Edwards

29 Paul Menard

30 Danica Patrick

31 Landon Cassill

32 Bobby Labonte

33 Greg Biffle

34 Aric Almirola

35 Michael McDowell

36 Travis Kvapil

37 David Gilliland

38 Mike Bliss

39 J.J. Yeley

40 Casey Mears

41 Joe Nemechek

42 Timmy Hill

43 Brian Keselowski

Well looks like Kenseth's penalty either fired his team up or it didn't effect his running ability as he gains another pole for the second time in a row. Am very excited with Gordon's third starting spot and am encouraged to hear that he had the top speed in first practice today. Hopefully the 24 team can turn thier sour luck around into some GREAT luck!

The Richmond race will be on tomorrow night (Saturday, April 27th) at 8:00 PM EST on FOX.

(Just thought I would include a little news that I have read about...Denny Hamlin is hoping to start the Talledega race next weekend and be able to jump out and let a relief driver finish for him. Depending on if he can get cleared by his doctor I am guessing. He said that if he is not able to be in the car by Darlington (week after Talledega) he may decide that his chance at making the chase is unlikely and MAY opt to have back surgery now instead of during the off season as was planned in order to have a healthier 2014. If he does have the surgery he would be out for at least six weeks...could come back for the last few races but would have no hope at getting the championship...but then joked about Kenseth's penalty by saying "''if everyone keeps getting these penalties, I'm going to be the points leader soon.'' LOL that cracked me up! Anyway...will keep you posted on anything else I hear about Hamlin. Am not a Hamlin fan at all but do feel for him. This has got to be discouraging and frustrating to him.

Also....Country singer Billy Curington was suppose to be the opening act for the All Star Race but he has been replaced by Josh Turner. I guess Curington got arrested on Thursday for making terroristic threats and for abusing an eldery person. He is out on bail...my respect for Curington has just gone down the drain....

Am so ready for some positive and uplifting news to share with y'all...perhaps after tomorrow's race I will be sharing a win by the 24 team...now that will be postive and uplifting! :D )

Well the Richmond race has just gotten over and have to say that the first half was pretty uneventful. Matt Kenseth started from the pole and led the most laps...or tied laps led with Clint Bowyer who led a lot of laps. Kenseth has led the most laps thus far into the 2013 season.

Kasey Kahne had a good race going on until Mark Martin wrecked him into the wall...they said something was going on between the two of them, but didn't say what.

Tony Stewart had a good race, but did cause a bit of a problem when he got lose and spun JIMMIE JOHNSON into the wall...as well as Kyle Busch who had been having a good night until then. Not a Kyle Busch fan, but am getting frustrated that majority of my fantasy drivers end up having some sort of an issue. :p

2012 Champion Brad Keselowski had a rough night as he had a tire go down and then later on NASCAR blackflagged him when he couldn't keep it up to speed.

Then towards the end Vickers had something fail in his car and he hit the wall...to bring out the yellow. Making it a green-white-checkered finish. Surprisingly nothing big came out of it other than Kurt Busch making Tony Stewart mad. Don't see what really happened...looked more like a racing deal. But once the race ended, Tony kept running into the side of Kurt and then in the garage area they had a shouting match at one another. Stewart telling Kurt to "deal with it". Looks like they have sparked their old rivalry back...those two have a history of fights (though it has been awhile since Stewart last punched Kurt...) Nothing seemed to come out of it tonight...no punching or unlike last night, no kicking.

Kevin Harvick went on to win the win at Richmond tonight.

1 Kevin Harvick

2 Clint Bowyer

3 Joey Logano

4 Juan Pablo Montoya

5 Jeff Burton

6 Carl Edwards

7 Matt Kenseth

8 Aric Almirola

9 Kurt Busch

10 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

11 Jeff Gordon

12 Jimmie Johnson

13 Paul Menard

14 A J Allmendinger

15 Ryan Newman

16 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

17 Martin Truex Jr.

18 Tony Stewart

19 Bobby Labonte

20 David Ragan

21 Kasey Kahne

22 David Reutimann

23 Dave Blaney

24 Kyle Busch

25 Landon Cassill

26 Jamie McMurray

27 David Gilliland

28 Josh Wise

29 Danica Patrick

30 Casey Mears

31 David Stremme

32 J.J. Yeley

33 Brad Keselowski

34 Timmy Hill

35 Brian Vickers

36 Greg Biffle

37 Travis Kvapil

38 Mark Martin

39 Joe Nemechek

40 Brian Keselowski

41 Michael McDowell

42 Marcos Ambrose

43 Mike Bliss

Well eleventh place isn't where I was wanting to see the 24 car at, but after spending a lot of time in the 20s and 30s, I will be somewhat satisified with eleventh...proud of his efforts to fight back for eleventh. Proud of Jimmie Johnson to fight back from being in the top five before getting wrecked and to come home twelveth. You can never count out the 48 team - no matter what.

We will be racing at Talledega next Sunday...where anything can happen. And generally does...:) Hopefully the 24 team can turn thier bad luck around.

I thought JPM was unlucky not to get his first oval win last night. He stayed out of trouble and looked strong until that late caution.

Not quite sure what happened to Ricky last night. I think he pitted early near the start of the race, and never got back near the top 10. He seemed to be dueling with the #24 for quite a bit of the race.

Garrett, I know you weren't happy about Tony Stewart spinning out Jimmie, but he did take the blame straight away and ask his team to apologize. I'm afraid I missed the Stewart/Busch incident. The G-W-C meant that the race finished really late, and I turned it off as soon as the checkered flag fell.

I thought JPM was unlucky not to get his first oval win last night. He stayed out of trouble and looked strong until that late caution.

Not quite sure what happened to Ricky last night. I think he pitted early near the start of the race, and never got back near the top 10. He seemed to be dueling with the #24 for quite a bit of the race.

Garrett, I know you weren't happy about Tony Stewart spinning out Jimmie, but he did take the blame straight away and ask his team to apologize. I'm afraid I missed the Stewart/Busch incident. The G-W-C meant that the race finished really late, and I turned it off as soon as the checkered flag fell.

Yes Tony did own up to it and was glad to hear that...he got lose. So Tony didn't do it on purpose - should have said that. I was upset that it happened, not by who started it.

Thanks for the update Garrett.

I picked Kevin Harvick to win so this is my first victory in fantasy NASCAR. I guess you'd call it a hysterical day.....Um, I mean historical day. It's too bad my other drivers didn't do so good. I didn't even move up in the rankings on Garrett's fantasy league even though I picked the winner.

I did have a lot of fun Friday night at the local dirt track though!

Thanks for the update Garrett.

I picked Kevin Harvick to win so this is my first victory in fantasy NASCAR. I guess you'd call it a hysterical day.....Um, I mean historical day. It's too bad my other drivers didn't do so good. I didn't even move up in the rankings on Garrett's fantasy league even though I picked the winner.

I did have a lot of fun Friday night at the local dirt track though!

That is frustrating when your drivers do well and it doesn't help your team any...I had that happen a couple weeks ago when I had JJ and he led the most laps and won the race...and nothing to my team. Though I guess it helps if the other drivers did good too. ;) Congrats on your win with Harvick t hough. :D

You are welcome for the update. Enjoy writing them. :D

Glad you had fun at the dirt track, Roger. :)

Well Mother Nature got in the way of qualifying today...hope she got all the rain out of her system until at least Monday. Qualifying was rained out so they will line up on how they finished in practice on Friday.

Here is the starting grid for tomorrow's Talladega race:

1. (99) Carl Edwards

2. (56) Martin Truex Jr.

3. (9) Marcos Ambrose

4. (22) Joey Logano

5. (39) Ryan Newman

6. (20) Matt Kenseth

7. (11) Denny Hamlin

8. (48) Jimmie Johnson

9. (24) Jeff Gordon

10. (5) Kasey Kahne

11. (2) Brad Keselowski

12. (88) Dale Earnhardt Jr.

13. (18) Kyle Busch

14. (55) Michael Waltrip

15. (21) Trevor Bayne

16. (27) Paul Menard

17. (16) Greg Biffle

18. (43) Aric Almirola

19. (34) David Ragan

20. (15) Clint Bowyer

21. (17) Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

22. (13) Casey Mears

23. (10) Danica Patrick

24. (29) Kevin Harvick

25. (14) Tony Stewart

26. (35) Josh Wise

27. (30) David Stremme

28. (1) Jamie McMurray

29. (31) Jeff Burton

30. (42) Juan Pablo Montoya

31. (38) David Gilliland

32. (93) Travis Kvapil

33. (78) Kurt Busch

34. (51) Regan Smith

35. (83) David Reutimann

36. (95) Scott Speed

37. (32) Terry Labonte

38. (98) Michael McDowell

39. (47) Bobby Labonte

40. (7) Dave Blaney

41. (87) Joe Nemechek

42. (33) Landon Cassill

43. (36) JJ Yeley,

Well I have learned not to just go by Yahoo! Sports on their line up once again this week. Jimmie Johnson said on Facebook that he would be starting eighth...and Jeff Gordon said he would start nineth if qualifying got rained out. So when I went to Yahoo! Sports to see it showed Jeff Gordon 13th and I don't know where they had Jimmie Johnson lined up at, but it wasn't in the top ten. Back to using NASCAR.com on Chrome for info...

Tomorrow's Sprint Cup race at Talladega will be on Fox at 2:00 EST...

You cut that close, Garrett - I was about half and hour away from posting the starting lineup myself :).

It looks like several of the cars will have quite different paint schemes for tomorrow's race. Here's Jeff Gordon's:

24jeff_gordon_imron_elite_922x300.png

Personally, I wish they wouldn't change them so much and so often, but I guess the teams are more likely to listen to their sponsors than me :).

You cut that close, Garrett - I was about half and hour away from posting the starting lineup myself :).

It looks like several of the cars will have quite different paint schemes for tomorrow's race. Here's Jeff Gordon's:

24jeff_gordon_imron_elite_922x300.png

Personally, I wish they wouldn't change them so much and so often, but I guess the teams are more likely to listen to their sponsors than me :).

Sorry Hoss but at least on my computer your picture didn't come through...but do have to say I love Jeff Gordon's car that he will be racing tomorrow! I agree . . . it does make it hard to find them sometimes when their cars are different, but it is nice to see different paint schemes every once in awhile.

And yeah, the sponsors would NOT be happy if they would stick with only one paint scheme. And at a time like this when sponsors are dropping left and right and are getting more hard to find, I think it would be wise if they would do all things possible to keep them HAPPY.

As for the time... I do the best that I can. Sorry if that is not satisfactory for you Hoss...went out for lunch and church. Got to it when I got home afterwards. I didn't know you were an impatient NASCAR fan...that it was only me who got impatient to see who starts where. ;)

I'm not sure why that didn't work for you. It shows up for me on IE, Firefox and Chrome (both in my post and the quoted bit of your reply). Here's a link to the NASCAR page where I found it, along with a few of the other cars:

Paint scheme preview: Talladega

That works...don't know why it wasn't showing up on my computer. :( Sorry Hoss. Though don't understand why they show Danica driving the number 34 car when she normally drives number 10? Or perhaps my memory is fading...LOL

Thanks Hoss.

Though don't understand why they show Danica driving the number 34 car when she normally drives number 10? Or perhaps my memory is fading...LOL

I bet Roger would be wondering what had happened to David Ragan too :). David Ragan's car is already shown on that page - what they forgot to say was that Danica's driving the #34 in the Nationwide race (if you look carefully there are differences between the car outlines). I only discovered the truth when I found this page:

Danica Patrick to run in Talladega Nationwide race

I bet Roger would be wondering what had happened to David Ragan too :). David Ragan's car is already shown on that page - what they forgot to say was that Danica's driving the #34 in the Nationwide race (if you look carefully there are differences between the car outlines). I only discovered the truth when I found this page:

Danica Patrick to run in Talladega Nationwide race

Ah OK Hoss...you had me wondering there for a minute if I was losing my touch. I am generally really good with who races with what number so when I saw the 34 on the car it didn't register as her. Had me arguing with myself if it was ten or if it was just me...guess it wasn't. HA.

Yeah I bet David Regan would miss the 34 on his car if she stole it from him too. :)

Talking about the Nationwide Series sounds like it was a lot of accidents. I didn't get to see it but sounds like they had a three hour delay, the big accident, and then had to call the race short due to the lack of day light left. Congrats to Regan Smith who ended up the winner in what sounds like a close finish between him and Kasey Kahne. Regan Smith was driving for Dale Jr in today's race. So congrats to Regan Smith and Dale Jr for today's...er...tonight's win. :D

Well the race is on right now...earlier than what I thought it was going to be on. Sorry I didn't write this sooner. Dale Jr got tagged by another driver (think it was Kvapil. Could be wrong) gave him a flat tire and JR now a lap down. They are now under caution as Trevor Bayne's car went up in smoke as his transmission blew...

Will write my full review once the race is over...

Well the race is on right now...earlier than what I thought it was going to be on.

I missed the first eight laps, but I don't think I missed much action.

After moaning about the paint scheme changes yesterday, I think Jeff Gordon's car is easier to spot than usual. Scott Speed's car looks almost all red from the side - coupled with his number, it's getting close to Lightning McQueen :).

My Pittsburgh Penguins just won in overtime so I just turned it to NASCAR. They just went to a commercial while playing Danger Zone from Top Gun...NICE!

Congrats to your Penguins...you are having a pretty good day. Even David Ragen led a lap. Sadly Jr got hit by Kvapil..

We are now under rain delay, but they are talking about getting it started again. Carl Edwards is in front followed by Hoss' Stenhouse Jr.

Busch and Kasey Kahne and several other drivers (will talk more about it in my review). Gordon can get his car fixed if we do go back to green and Gordon can find another driver or two to help him out...

C'mon...this is my birthday race. Can't Gordon at least have a top ten? A good point race? This race is soooo frustrating to me right now...:mad: Ah well.

Though am HAPPY to hear that they are planning on going back to racing...now if only Mother Nature will hold off for the race to finish...am hoping for a good finish from the 24 team!