2013 NASCAR race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Well here it is as promised...my 2013 NASCAR race reives and results thread. With only ONE week until the Sprint Unlimited (use to be Bud Shootout) means only one thing...speed weeks is only ONE week away. Daytona 500 - the race that starts the 2013 season off- is only two weeks and one day away. And this NASCAR fan is...excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, here is a look at this year's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule.

2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

Well there has been a lot of changes done to NASCAR Sprint Cup Series during this off season. Major one being the NEW car that they got. Looks pretty slick. They are moving from the COT (car of tomorrow) to the Gen -6. Gen 6 There is a good site that will show what the new car is going to look like. Of what I have been hearing, a lot of drivers are liking the new car. Also what I have heard that this car is a lot like the old car which is more to Jeff Gordon's liking. (Sorry had to include that...)

Also with the changes to NASCAR Sprint Cup comes with testing that the drivers and teams will now be able to do indepent testing at the tracks...I guess up to four tracks.

Another change comes to qualifying. Before the top thirty-five teams in owner points were locked into the race...this year the fastest thirty-six cars will be locked into the race with the top six owner point cars being locked in.

There has also been a few changes with cars and drivers. Main big changes is that Matt Kenseth has left his long time team at Rousch Fenway Racing and is now driving for Joe Gibbs Racing. He has moved from the number 17 car to the number 20 car. Joey Logano moved from JGR car number 20 to Penske's 22 car. Ricky Stenhouse Jr who won the Nationwide Series championship last year will take over the seventeen car at Rousch Fenway Racing. And Danica Patrick will be running a full time schedule with Stewart-Haas racing from her part time gig she had ran last season. This will be Kevin Harvick's last season with Richard Childress and he will be moving to Stewart-Haas Racing next season...but we will worry about that next year. ;)

We also have five new members of the NASCAR Hall Of Fame that was inducted yesterday...Rusty Wallace, Herb Thomas, Leonard Wood (from the Wood Brothers - own Trevor Bayne's 21 car), Buck Baker, and Cotton Owens. 2013 NASCAR Hall of Fame Congrats to them all...and thanks to them all for helping NASCAR be what it is today!

With all that said, this is where I will be posting my pre race write up, my race reviews, where the top fifteen or so will qualify and how who finished where at the end of the race...starting next week for the Sprint Unimlimted...use to be Bud Shootout. Which is a non point race...first point race will be Feb. 24th at Daytona 500!

After ninety LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG days my count down is slowly coming to an end...and with it, my NASCAR withdrawal will be cured! :lol: Hope you all are as excited as I am!

Well y'all...are you ready? LOL. I know I am...but I think that goes without saying.

The Sprint Unlimimted...use to be known as the Bud Shoot out will be on TONIGHT at 8:00 EST on FOX.

The Sprint Unlimited is a pre -season race which is of 75 laps (this fan wishes it was longer, but will be happy with 75 laps. Better than what I have had for the last ninety days or so...). This year, not only the title has changed, but a lot of the elements of tonight's race falls in the hands of the fans who will get their vote or their say in it. It will be cut into three segments... thirty laps, twenty five laps, and then twenty laps.

There will only be NINETEEN drivers in tonight's race...drivers who had won pole awards this past season as well as drivers who has won in previous Bud Shootout races. The starting line up will be announced later and will be fan voted as well...sadly I didn't get in with the voting. :( (Just read that Brad Keselowski who won the Sprint Cup Championship and runner up driver Clint Bowyer will NOT be in tonight's race...)

Anyway...Engines will start at 8:17 and the green flag will drop at 8:29 PM. (You know it would be much too simple to throw the flag at 8:30...:-o) LOL.

Daytona 500 qualifying for the pole will be on tomorrow...the rest of the line up will be determined during the Duals on Thursday afternoon...while I am at WORK! ;)

I am beyond excited for tonight's race...tonight's race will mean my NASCAR withdrawal will come to an end!

I will write my review of the race once the race has ended tonight!

Well y'all the Sprint Unlimited has just ended and Kevin Harvick took home his third Sprint Unlimited win trophy. Matt Kenseth, Tony Stewart, and Kevin Harvick were all real strong today and were going back and forth for the win.

Though I think the big event happened on lap FIFTEEN when TONY STEWART took out SEVEN drivers out of the race. He tried getting in between Matt Kenseth who was leading at the time and second place driver Marcos Ambrose...but there was not room enough for Stewart and he ended up bumping Ambrose's front bumper and started a domino effect of wrecking behind. The accident took out Jimmie Johnson, Denny Hamlin, Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Kyle Bush, and Kurt Busch. Needless to say this 24/48 fan was not happy...not only that Stewart had another mishap later on when Joey Logano went down and bobbled him and Jr together. Not a day for Hendrick drivers I guess...Stewart took responsiblity for the 15 lap accident and after the race said it was all on him...that his spotter didn't clear him, he was just enjoying passing people and felt racey and thought there was room for him. Lap 15 wreck

Other than that there wasn't much else that happened. Carl Edwards kept going to the front then to the back a nd front again. Kenseth was shuffled around a lot too. .Drivers are getting to know the new Gen-6 car.

Qualifying for the POLE position for the Daytona 500 will be on FOX tomorrow from 1-4 PM EST.

Here is the finishing order of tonight's race:

1. Kevin Harvick

2. Greg Biffle

3. Joey Logano

4. Tony Stewart

5. Matt Kenseth

6. Aric Almorila

7. Kasey Kahne

8. Dale Earnhardt Jr

9. Martin Truex Jr.

10. Juan Pablo Montoya

11. Marcos Ambrose

12. Carl Edwards

13. Kurt Busch

14. Jimmie Johnson

15. Denny Hamlin

16. Kyle Busch

17. Jeff Gordon

18. Mark Martin

19. Ken Shrader

Well a couple of hours and a week to go for the 2013 NASCAR season to OFFICIALLY begin...who else is excited? :D

Well the Daytona 500 Qualifying must have just got over...today's qualifying only determined who will start on the front row...position one and two. The rest of the field will be picked for position on the outcome of the Duels on Thursday.

Anyone wanna guess who's up front for the season opener?

Danica Patrick who was the fastest at practice on Friday was once again the fastest at qualifying to become the first female to win a pole at Sprint Cup...

And the second fastest driver in qualifying was JEFF GORDON and team 24! Great way to rebound from last night's huge accident that pulled him out on lap 15.

So far the starting line up for the Daytona 500 (NEXT SUNDAY!!!!!!!!Woo Hoo! One week to go...!!!!!!!!!!!!) is:

1. Danica Patrick

2. Jeff Gordon

As I said the rest will be determined at the Duels this upcoming Thursday. The Duels consist of two short races with two different sets of drivers...I do believe they set the drivers in which duel race they will be in on where they qualified. But could be wrong about that.

The first Duel race is Thursday at 2:00 PM EST on SPEED and I think FOX...

The second Duel race is Thursday at 3:30 PM EST on SPEED...and perhaps FOX. (Both races are Thursday, Feb. 21st.)

Both of which I will miss because I will have to work and won't have any cable nearby even if I didn't...so will have to look it up and post it on here as I guess I would any other qualifying. LOL. Just hate to say I am missing a race...thanks to work. HA. Jeff Gordon and Danica Patrick will both be in the Duels...think Patrick is in the first one and Gordon is in the second one...just their positions are locked in. :)

One more week...seven more days and the 2013 NASCAR season will open with the Super Bowl of NASCAR. The biggest race of the season. And if anyone is still interested in joining my NASCAR fantasy league...there is still time and room to do so. Just let me know! :) A lot of fun, easy, and all for free. :D

Anyone else excited for Daytona 500 here? Any bold predictions for who may win the big race? Who will hold the championship at the end of November?

Matt Kenseth was strong last night and he won Daytona last year as well. Daytona is unpredictable, but do think he has a chance. Then again, Gordon has a good chance to win it as well. Stewart and Harvick was real strong last night as well...hard to tell. Everyone is still learning about the new Generation 6 car...will be interesting to see! :-o

Well the Gatorade Duels were today...two races. Duel one was won by Kevin Harvick...second one was won by Kyle Busch. I am currently not seeing how the drivers will line up for Sunday's race...but will let you know when I do. I am thinking that the first four will look like this: 1. Danica Patrick 2. Jeff Gordon 3. Kevin Harvick 4. Kyle Busch. But I could be wrong...will post an official starting order when I get it. :D

As for the Duels themselves...I didn't get to watch them since most people have to work at the odd hour they put it. . .or at least I did. Will never understand why they have the races so early. Ah well. Gordon was in the first one and led 39 or so laps before being caught speeding on pit road trying to get a head of Kasey Kahne...really hope he has gotten that out of his system. Don't want to be seeing that on Sunday! I promise my race reviews will be much more detailed on Sunday...

THREE MORE DAYS UNTIL DAYTONA 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to SportingNews.com the top 10 is:

1. Danica Patrick, No. 10 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet

2. Jeff Gordon, No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet

3. Kevin Harvick, No. 29 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet

4. Kyle Busch, No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota

5. Greg Biffle, No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Ford

6. Kasey Kahne, No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet

7. Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Earnhardt Ganassi Racing Chevrolet

8. Austin Dillon, No. 33 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet

9. Jimmie Johnson, No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet

10. Clint Bowyer, No. 15 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota

You can see the full lineup here.

According to SportingNews.com the top 10 is:

1. Danica Patrick, No. 10 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet

2. Jeff Gordon, No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet

3. Kevin Harvick, No. 29 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet

4. Kyle Busch, No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota

5. Greg Biffle, No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Ford

6. Kasey Kahne, No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet

7. Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Earnhardt Ganassi Racing Chevrolet

8. Austin Dillon, No. 33 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet

9. Jimmie Johnson, No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet

10. Clint Bowyer, No. 15 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota

You can see the full lineup here.

Thanks Hoss for doing my job for me. ;)

Well y'all guess what?! Tomorrow is the big day that I have been waiting for and counting down to for the past 90 some days...TOMORROW IS THE DAYTONA 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Super Bowl of NASCAR!!!!!!!!!! THE 2013 NASCAR SPRINT CUP SERIES WILL START TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am excited...if you can't tell. ;)

The Daytona 500 will be on FOX and SPEED at 11:00 Central time.

Who else will be watching? I know I will be...and will write up a reivew of the race here tomorrow once it is over.

Well the Daytona 500 has just gotten over...that has got to be the fastest race ever. LOL. Luckily there was not a HUGE wreck like last night's but there was a few wrecks.

Starting with Kyle Busch pushing Hendrick driver Kasey Kahne into the infield and taking out Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick, Juan Pablo Montoya, Jamie McMurray. I think most of them did come back out but many laps down. Harvick ended his day early due to not being able to pass anyone else.

Jeff Gordon passed Danica and led the first lap plus several laps and while doing so had some garbage on his grill to cause some water pressure problems. He fell back to 24th for a while due to it. He did later race back to the front towards the end of the race. But at the end had no help and finished a sad twentieth.

Danica Patrick broke some more records with being the first woman to lead laps at Daytona...and the first woman to finish eightth in the Daytona 500!

Carl Edwards wrecked his fifth car in the past 30 days to take him out of the race. Edwards had wrecked Trevor Bayne. JJ told him he could borrow his five time title. LOL.

Matt Kenseth led the most laps (last year's Daytona 500) only for his engine to blow while on the lead lap. A couple of laps later, Kyle Busch, another Toyota driver and team mate had engine problems that took him to the garage. Martin Truex Jr had dropped a throttle t hat sent him back - Truex also drives a Toyota.

2012 Sprint cup Champion Brad Keselowski got in a couple of the accident and had led several laps towards the end before getting passed by Jimmie Johnson who went on to win his second Daytona 500. The seventh 500 win for team owner Rick Hendrick.

Here is the finishing order for the Daytona 500:

1. Jimmie Johnson

2 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

3 Mark Martin

4 Brad Keselowski

5 Ryan Newman

6 Greg Biffle

7 Regan Smith

8 Danica Patrick

9 Michael McDowell

10 J.J. Yeley

11 Clint Bowyer

12 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

13 Aric Almirola

14 Denny Hamlin

15 Bobby Labonte

16 David Reutimann

17 Dave Blaney

18 Marcos Ambrose

19 Joey Logano

20 Jeff Gordon

21 Paul Menard

22 Michael Waltrip

23 Scott Speed

24 Martin Truex Jr.

25 Travis Kvapil

26 Terry Labonte

27 Trevor Bayne

28 Kurt Busch

29 Casey Mears

30 Jeff Burton

31 Austin Dillon

32 Jamie McMurray

33 Carl Edwards

34 Kyle Busch

35 David Ragan

36 Kasey Kahne

37 Matt Kenseth

38 David Gilliland

39 Juan Pablo Montoya

40 Josh Wise

41 Tony Stewart

42 Kevin Harvick

43 Joe Nemechek

We are onto Phoenix next Sunday at 2:30 ET on FOX! Am already looking forward to it!!!!!

I wore my HazzardNet shirt and orange 01 hat to the NASCAR party I attended but not a single person commented on them. Needless to say that was disappointing since there were about 200 people there and I knew 40-50 of them. I think I'll sit home next year for Daytona. Big parties are fun (especially when they benefit charity) but I sure missed hearing the commentary since there was no sound and a band was playing.

I suppose if it would have been a country band playing it wouldn't have been as bad but these guys have probably never heard of Waylon.

The best part is when I'd walk up to the big screen TV to get a close up. It almost made me want to replace out little TV.

I was happy to see Junior do well.

I don't know whether Garrett plans a race review, but here's the top ten in tomorrow's lineup for the Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix:

1 Mark Martin (55)

2 Kasey Kahne (5)

3 Jimmie Johnson (48)

4 Kyle Busch (18)

5 Jeff Gordon (24)

6 Tony Stewart (14)

7 Kevin Harvick (29)

8 Denny Hamlin (11)

9 Matt Kenseth (20)

10 Ryan Newman (39)

You can get the full lineup here. The race starts at 3 PM ET.

I don't know whether Garrett plans a race review, but here's the top ten in tomorrow's lineup for the Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix:

1 Mark Martin (55)

2 Kasey Kahne (5)

3 Jimmie Johnson (48)

4 Kyle Busch (18)

5 Jeff Gordon (24)

6 Tony Stewart (14)

7 Kevin Harvick (29)

8 Denny Hamlin (11)

9 Matt Kenseth (20)

10 Ryan Newman (39)

You can get the full lineup here. The race starts at 3 PM ET.

URGH Hoss...I was just coming here to post my race preview and look who got impatient and beat me to it? YOU. Am I getting fired from my job or what?

Well Denny Hamlin won this race last year...and well Kyle Busch started the Nationwide Series Race today from the pole and went on to dominate and win the race.

Will make sure my race REVIEW will be on a more timely matter...;)

URGH Hoss...I was just coming here to post my race preview and look who got impatient and beat me to it? YOU. Am I getting fired from my job or what?

Well Denny Hamlin won this race last year...and well Kyle Busch started the Nationwide Series Race today from the pole and went on to dominate and win the race.

Will make sure my race REVIEW will be on a more timely matter...;)

Thanks Hoss for keeping us updated on the qualifying order. :)