Life is Too Short

CDoherty95

Hi y'all.*

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I've been really busy with school exams and studying and things like that.

I'd just like y'all to take a minute to remember a teacher who I had last year who unfortunately passed away the other day.

Orlaith Donahue, was my religion teacher for part of last year. She had finished her teaching degree in 2011. It was always her dream to work in Terenure College, where I go to school. She had extra Irish classes with one of the teachers in the school, and was passionate about religion and teaching.

Her dream came true over the summer months of 2011, when Orlaith was offered a permanent job as a religion and English teacher in Terenure.

She formed a close bond with pupils and staff, and enjoyed working with her colleagues and students.

Orlaith was also very sports orientated. This was perhaps her only downfall, as when she felt a lump on her stomach last Easter, she assumed it to be stomach muscle. Unfortunately it was discovered to be stomach cancer.*

She was immidiately hospitalized, and treated for the tumor.*

However, the cancer continued to spread, and Orlaith was unable to return to work at the start of this year as previously hoped.*

Nobody in school was aware of how severe Orlaith's condition was. I wish I had been more aware, as I never got a chance to say goodbye.

My English teacher had been particularly close to Orlaith, and regularly visited the hospital where she was staying. It was my english teacher that broke the news of Orlaith's death, after a brief 24 years on this planet, and I felt stunned.*

I was determined to go to the funeral. It just felt like the right thing to do. Fortunately the school realized this was the intention of many students, so buses were organized to take us to the church.

I was fortunate enough to be given the task of doing a reading. I only wish I could have done more.

I am not generally emotional, but seeing Orlaith's family completely broken moved me to tears. As the coffin was carried out of the church, the teachers who attended the funeral turned to one another for support.*

Rest in Peace Orlaith*

Life is indeed too short. There are really no words adequate to describe the feelings when going through the loss of someone you admired, especially when they die so young. My condolences.

I learned a few years ago that one of my former teammates from our high school fastpitch softball team died of a heart attack at the age of 31. She was in excellent physical condition, even played on the women's professional beach volleyball circuit, but had an undiagnosed heart problem which took her life suddenly. I was shocked, to say the least. Something like that is just difficult to process.