Ducklings I hatched

James Duke

Here's some pics of 3 little ducklings I hatched in September. The little duck with the funky hairdo is Sgt Quackers, the other little black one is Beatle, and the little silver one is Lucky. My babies are getting bigger everyday and now, almost 4 months later, they're almost the same size as their parents. Lucky is a girl, Sgt. and Beatle are boys. All three have the same daddy, but Lucky has a different mom than the boys.

Sgt Quackers was born 9-9-12. Beatle and Lucky were born 9-10-12.

newborn_ducklings_by_beatles_fan-d5ee9we_zpsde4cafec.jpg

lucky__quackers__and_beatle_by_beatles_fan-d5eedj6_zpsc4f688bf.jpg

ducklings__d_by_beatles_fan-d5hlflp_zps20487fe9.jpg

sgt_quackers_and_beatle_in_the_brooder_by_beatles_fan-d5ed63h-Copy_zps25d67af8.jpg

@Garret- Thanks :D These three are my babies and I love them to death! I can't wait for spring so I can try for a few more duckies. Can you tell I love ducks? xD Started with four, now I got seven and I'm hoping to add to that number :D So we'll have to wait and see what happens this spring once the girls are laying again.

@Roger- Yep, I'm still doing my artwork. Sadly though, my hard drive decided to bite the big one and most of my stuff (things I hadn't gotten online yet) was lost, then last night my tablet cable crapped out so I need to get a new cable lol I can find them for a $1 here, so it's no biggie. I'm thinking of saving some of the pics I managed to save on a website and either do a new topic for them here or add them to my album here.

I've gotten into the habit of doing a kind of paleoart, if you can call it that, lately. I've been finding different pictures of different kinds of dinosaurs and morphing them together into what I call hybrids. And then I've been doing some fanart of an anime I really like and some new stuff of one of my OCs.

@MeadowMufn- It's best to hatch them out yourself, then they're more likely to trust you than if you got them as ducklings from a store or what-not, but either way they're still great :D The adults I have don't care much for people, though they'll come around me since I feed them and such lol. The babies on the other hand, still follow me around the yard, love to beak around (it's what I call that nibbling thing ducks do) on my pant legs and shoes and they still haven't quite realized they can't swim or take a bath in snow lol They hate being picked up though xD But I've had my babies since they were nothing more than eggs and I was the first one they saw after they hatched. It was supposed to take around 28 days to incubate them, but the little stinkers came almost a week early.

I'm really hoping I get some more crested ducks (that's what you can call Quackers because of the little afro he's got lol) this year. It's tricky getting them though. If the parents both have the gene that causes the crest and one passes it onto the baby, then there's a 25% chance one duckling will have it. So pretty much 1 out of every 4 ducklings will have it. But if both parents give the gene to the baby, it'll die in the shell and there's no chance at all to save it.

Incubating is a lot of work, but in the end it's more than worth the effort. I want to do turkeys this year, but I think my incubator is too small for turkey chicks :/ But as long as I can hatch at least one more ducky, I'll be happy :3

I want a ducky now. LOL. I think Troy would be fine with a duck. We took him to the lake shortly after we got him. He showed no interest in the ducks at all. Sadie, on the other hand, would have gone splashing out into the water to try to get at them. LOL.

Speaking of birds it looks like the Falcons are going to be beating the Seahawks this weekend.

(sorry James, sometimes competition just spills over to other threads around here)

Aw!!! Cute!! I should post my pics of my chickens I got back on Halloween. 3 roosters and 10 hens (I think since they are still a little young to really be sure). They are my babies and love it when they gather around for some goodies.

BTW: We had a "Guard Duck" when I was little. "Quackers" was yard trained to only go to one particular spot to potty and never left the yard. He would attack any one or any thing that got into the yard. LOL!!!

Aw!!! Cute!! I should post my pics of my chickens I got back on Halloween. 3 roosters and 10 hens (I think since they are still a little young to really be sure). They are my babies and love it when they gather around for some goodies.

BTW: We had a "Guard Duck" when I was little. "Quackers" was yard trained to only go to one particular spot to potty and never left the yard. He would attack any one or any thing that got into the yard. LOL!!!

lmao! I love my duckies to death. Sadly though, Beatle will never get to enjoy flying. He's got angel wing, which is a deformity in their wing wrist joint. It normally affects the left wing and starts when they're little. It can be fixed if it's treated in time, but I didn't have anything to bind his wing with at the time, so he's stuck like that now. Aside from keeping the feathers on that wings trimmed down, he's happy as can be with his older brother and little sister :3