2013 Fantasy NASCAR on Yahoo!

Garrett Duke

Well the NASCAR season won't start for another 61 days . . . *SIGH*. . . and I for one am anxious for the arrival of speed weeks. Or better yet for Daytona 500...NASCAR's Super Bowl race.

I just checked Yahoo's Fantasy Auto Racing (NASCAR) and they say that the season has concluded (sigh) but will reopen in early January. Only a week or so away! Which got me somewhat excited...for a fresh start in fantasy sports. Though I did make it into the play off section for my fantasy football team...

Anyway, once again, am interested in creating my own Fantasy NASCAR league if I can find anyone interested in joining. Otherwise, I could create one and make it public...but it would be more fun playing with people that I know.

For all that is somewhat interested, here are some of the rules or how it works:

*Every week you chose eight drivers to be in your team that week (or if you don't change it the next week, it will stay with last week's picks.)

* Four of the drivers are starters, the other four are bench drivers. The starter drivers you will get points for where they qualify at, for laps led, and where they finish the race at. Whereas the bench drivers will get you points for where they qualify at ... so for them it don't matter if they finish first or last or last.

*There are three groups of drivers. Group A (the more seasoned drivers, drivers that win more...) Group B (drivers that are good, but don't win as often) and Group C (the underdog drivers...the rookies and the drivers that you don't think of to win races.)

*From Group A you pick one starter driver and one bench driver. From Group B you pick two starters and two bench. From Group C you pick one starter, one bench. On Yahoo they do have driver stats and expert picks that you can use from race to race - though it don't neccesarily mean a great finish

(Here is an example of what a roster may look like:

Group A: Jeff Gordon (S) Jimmie Johnson (B)

Group B: Dale Jr (S) Jamie McMurray (S) Ryan Newman (B) AJ Allmendinger (B)

Group C: Michael Waltrip (S) Paul Menard (B))

*For starters, you can only use a driver nine times (Bummer, I know. I'd love to use Gordon all 36 races...oh well. )

That is all I can think of as rules right now...I find it fun and entertaining. It gives me more than just Gordon, Johnson, and Jr to follow throughout the whole race.

If you have questions about the game please ask them here or message me and I would be glad to answer them the best that I could. If you are interested in joining my league, please let me know here or message me...Never thought I would be for fantasy sports, but now that I am in it, find it fun and addicting. My league would just be for fun and NOT for any money.

(Thanks Roger for the idea of starting a new thread for the 2013 league...had thought of doing that but didn't know if I should or not. Probably best for a new thread. Thanks for letting me know that you are interested, Roger. I can't wait to play you in NASCAR...perhaps in one league I'll get to beat you. Though I will not take that for granted and will have to keep a close eye on you...wouldn't want you to beat me in NASCAR. LOL. ;) )

Count me in as your first official challenger Garrett.

This will be a much more exciting NASCAR season for me now that I'm going to have an opportunity to show you my vast cavern of NASCAR knowledge.

Well, maybe I shouldn't call it a vast cavern. Tiny pothole is more like it

For those of you unsure about fantasy sports, trust me....yahoo makes it real easy to play....and that's coming from me, someone who's terrible with computers. I think you have to have a free yahoo e-mail account first though. Although I'm not sure if that's still the case.

When you get the league registered find out what the minimum number of players needed is. I was wondering if you're going to try and have this be a HazzardNet league even if it's small. I think that would be fun but if we can't get enough Hazzard folks maybe we'll have to find others. I know at least two guys who might be interested if it comes to that.

Are you going to have Hazzard in the league name? LOL

When you get the league registered find out what the minimum number of players needed is. I was wondering if you're going to try and have this be a HazzardNet league even if it's small. I think that would be fun but if we can't get enough Hazzard folks maybe we'll have to find others. I know at least two guys who might be interested if it comes to that.

Are you going to have Hazzard in the league name? LOL

Yeah I will have to find that out...am not sure if there is a limit. The first time I played anything fantasy was Yahoo! Fantasy Auto Racing (Yahoo calls NASCAR Auto racing...) was with my cousin and his friend. Was just the three of us that played. And guess what? Give up yet? LOL. I won. And that is the only time I have won at fantasy...though for my football league I have made it to the playoffs...down to the last game and all. Me and another guy. Wish me luck...Yahoo has picked the other guy as a favorite over me. :(

As for the name...last year I did have a Hazzard name picked out if I did get enough people for a league. Though I didn't find anyone last year interested in joining and the I seemed to forget the title at the moment that I had. I did ask my cousin if he would want to play...though have yet to hear back from him one way or another. Will let y'all know...

As I said, if anyone is interested in joining, let me know and will make sure to send you info and what not...if you are unsure about NASCAR, would be glad to help you out the first couple of weeks or so...

I'm not sure but I think that in FB, BB, BB and hockey there's a minumum of 6 people and a maximum of 20. I know yahoo baseball has a maximum of 20.

Smaller leagues are fun because you have a better chance of winning but winning a big league will bring a lot more satisfaction since the challenge is tougher. Normally I like bigger leagues in the other sports but since I'm a rookie at this I wouldn't mind having a smaller one....like ten at the maximum. This means we'll have to get folks not in the HazzardNet if we want ten. After getting the league ID and password I think posting it in on our fantasty basketball league message board would be a great idea....after you've asked anyone else you might want.

I sure hope Hazzard is in the league name!

I'm not sure but I think that in FB, BB, BB and hockey there's a minumum of 6 people and a maximum of 20. I know yahoo baseball has a maximum of 20.

Smaller leagues are fun because you have a better chance of winning but winning a big league will bring a lot more satisfaction since the challenge is tougher. Normally I like bigger leagues in the other sports but since I'm a rookie at this I wouldn't mind having a smaller one....like ten at the maximum. This means we'll have to get folks not in the HazzardNet if we want ten. After getting the league ID and password I think posting it in on our fantasty basketball league message board would be a great idea....after you've asked anyone else you might want.

I sure hope Hazzard is in the league name!

Well I did ask my cousin, but he has yet to respond. May have to prod him again to see if he is interested...LOL. I wouldn't want more than ten. Would be happy with ten. Yahoo said it won't open until the first week of Jan. though wouldn't be surprised if it was more like the middle of January that it got opened. I will be glad to post it on your fantasy BB league if you wish. :)

Know other sports do have a max and a min amout of players on the team...but the first year I pladed Auto Racing it was just the three of us. So perhaps it is different in Auto Racing. Also different is in in FB, BB, baseball, is that if you are in more than one Auto Racing league when you set the field for each race you set it for all the leagues at once...where in the other leagues you get to chose different players and the such.. Was disappointed last year when I found out that I had to settle for the same team in both leagues rather than chose different teams. Ah well I guess.

Will let you know when I know more. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well y'all with 43 days remaining until the Daytona 500 Yahoo has finally opened up their Fantasy Auto Racing and I have just opened up my first league! Am super excited. If you are interested please let me know and I will send you the info. Once again, if you have questions, let me know and I will be glad to answer them the best I can. It is super fun, super easy, and all for free.

It's a shame that David Reutimann is no longer in the #00 - then you could've finished your countdown with Brad Keselowski, Jamie McMurray, David Reutimann :).

You impress me Hoss that you are now able to identify the number with the driver...I am no longer the only one it seems. *sighs* You know all this and yet have to tell me who your favorite NASCAR driver is...I can always assign you one if you wish. :rofl:

Well Garrett I'm all signed up for your NASCAR league. I'm pretty competitive in fantasy sports but I'm getting the feeling of impending doom.....you know, the kind of feeling you get when you're tied to the railroad tracks and a train is coming around the corner and the engineer isn't paying attention because he's playing Angry Birds on his smart phone.

I just get the feeling this isn't going to end well for me.

Well Garrett I'm all signed up for your NASCAR league. I'm pretty competitive in fantasy sports but I'm getting the feeling of impending doom.....you know, the kind of feeling you get when you're tied to the railroad tracks and a train is coming around the corner and the engineer isn't paying attention because he's playing Angry Birds on his smart phone.

I just get the feeling this isn't going to end well for me.

Ahhh Roger...what at scary thought and feeling. Don't feel that way. Just think of it as a new experience. You never know you may love Fantasy NASCAR so much that you get addicted to NASCAR the sport...heck you may be good at it and end up winning the whole thing.

By the way if anyone else is interested in joining...let me know and I'll let you know how to get signed up. Still got 41 days til the first point race...got plenty of time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far the only HNet member that is interested in joining my Fantasy NASCAR league on Yahoo is Roger (thank-you Roger! :D)...but there is still plenty of time to sign up. Still 32 days left to the Daytona 500! All are welcome and as I said before, it is all for free and all for fun. Would be glad to help you sign up as well as help you learn how to play - it is super easy.

In case you are interested in joining my league - my league ID is 1062. My password is JGRules. The league name is Gordon's Drive for Five. Though all you need to know to sign up is the league ID # and the password. It is on Yahoo.com.

If you have any questions or concerns about it, let me know and I'll be glad to help you out in anyway I can. Even if you don't know a lot about NASCAR, Yahoo gives out driver info, track info that you can count on as well as placing their own fantasy leagues up to go by as well. You don't have to watch the races to play either...

Garrett is right. This is super easy. A lot of folks here know how bad I am with computers but yahoo fantasy sports is even easy for an old timer like me.

You do need a yahoo e-mail address to sign up. A lot of people (like me) don't use their yahoo e-mail since they already had a different e-mail account before beginning fantasy sports but I'm pretty sure it's still required.

Also, I think Garrett is permitting anybody to join the league so you can write down the info and pass it on to anybody who is a NASCAR and/or fantasy sports fan.

Start your engines!.....

next month.

Garrett is right. This is super easy. A lot of folks here know how bad I am with computers but yahoo fantasy sports is even easy for an old timer like me.

You do need a yahoo e-mail address to sign up. A lot of people (like me) don't use their yahoo e-mail since they already had a different e-mail account before beginning fantasy sports but I'm pretty sure it's still required.

Also, I think Garrett is permitting anybody to join the league so you can write down the info and pass it on to anybody who is a NASCAR and/or fantasy sports fan.

Start your engines!.....

next month.

Thanks Roger for your support. Yeah if you do know any NASCAR fans please let them know or send the info. Right now there is only a select few signed up...then again we still got a month to go. *sigh*

We've picked up another member in Garrett's league and it looks promising that more are on the way so hop in here if you haven't joined yet.

In the meantime I'm picking this thread to make a major NASCAR announcement that is bound to shake up the sport and make big headlines tomorrow.

(in my dreams)

Starting right now, I am now officially a Dale Jr fan.

I know, I know, Garrett's probably saying, is this guy serious? He goes through favorite drivers like Sheriff Coltrane goes though cars.

Let me explain.

I'm a pretty loyal guy. The Pirates and Steelers have been my favorite teams since the 60s (before the Steelers had even won their first Super Bowl). My favorite show since 1979 has been the Dukes of Hazzard. I still live in the same rural neighborhood I'v lived in since birth. Yep, I stick with things.

That's why I'm embarressed to have switched drivers like I have. The last two years I've followed David Ragen since he's a north Georgia boy but he's going to struggle again this year to finish above 30th every race so I'm going to make the season more interesting and hop on the Dale Jr bandwagon...after all he is a redneck at heart.

Take note people, the first year I was a Jimmie Johnson fan he won it all. So if Dale Jr wins it all this year I get some of the credit.

I still like David Ragen though!

Of course if Cale Yarborough still raced I never would be having this loyalty problem. He'll always be my all-time favorite.

We've picked up another member in Garrett's league and it looks promising that more are on the way so hop in here if you haven't joined yet.

In the meantime I'm picking this thread to make a major NASCAR announcement that is bound to shake up the sport and make big headlines tomorrow.

(in my dreams)

Starting right now, I am now officially a Dale Jr fan.

I know, I know, Garrett's probably saying, is this guy serious? He goes through favorite drivers like Sheriff Coltrane goes though cars.

Let me explain.

I'm a pretty loyal guy. The Pirates and Steelers have been my favorite teams since the 60s (before the Steelers had even won their first Super Bowl). My favorite show since 1979 has been the Dukes of Hazzard. I still live in the same rural neighborhood I'v lived in since birth. Yep, I stick with things.

That's why I'm embarressed to have switched drivers like I have. The last two years I've followed David Ragen since he's a north Georgia boy but he's going to struggle again this year to finish above 30th every race so I'm going to make the season more interesting and hop on the Dale Jr bandwagon...after all he is a redneck at heart.

Take note people, the first year I was a Jimmie Johnson fan he won it all. So if Dale Jr wins it all this year I get some of the credit.

I still like David Ragen though!

Of course if Cale Yarborough still raced I never would be having this loyalty problem. He'll always be my all-time favorite.

Wow Roger...where did I ever steer you wrong?! Don't get me wrong, I do like Dale Jr. He's my third favorite driver. He's a great guy. Great driver..but really? He just got done being voted as the most popular driver for the ninthe time in a row...you really think he needs another fan? What's so wrong with Jeff Gordon or Jimmie Johnson? Oh that's right...they are from California...talk about discrimination of drivers here Roger. As I said, I do like Dale Jr...nothing against him or his fans. If I did, I'd have something against myself.

Yep do agree with you. You change drivers like Coltrane changes cars. Like Hogg changes lisence plates.

Guess I'll ride this phase out...sooner or later, your favorite driver will have to be Jeff Gordon. Who has 87 Sprint Cup wins, twenty years in Sprint, four championships...and an all in all great guy. Just because he is not a redneck and is from California doesn't make him a bad driver or a bad person...in fact he now has a big ol' house in North Carolina. Is that good enough for you Roger?

Ah well if you can't tell, Roger, I am pretty loyal myself. Been a Cubs fan since I was four years old. My favorite TV show has been the Dukes since '97 (I know I know not as long as you...don't rub it in. I can't help it I was born too late! Though I do remember liking the show way back when before they took the show off...if you want to count that.), been a NASCAR / Gordon fan since '98 (somewhere around there), and been a Bears fan for the past few years (took me forever to truly understand the sport of football..as it did with NASCAR). I have only moved away from my home town for a year before going back...though about now I would love to move somewhere WARMER than here. HA HA.

So I guess we have that in common, we are loyal. I just like the better teams and driver! :lol:

If Jr wins it all this year, I will be excited and happy for him. As I said, I do like him. He is a Hendrick driver. He deserves to have a great year...though Roger I do have to tell you what your new favorite driver did at testing in Daytona a couple of weeks ago. He was out with ten other cars...and guess what? He managed to wreck all ten cars! INCLUDING JEFF GORDON!!!!!!! Don't worry Jr drove off while Gordon had to go to the garage...all thanks to your little Dale Jr.(Though guess it is not entirely his fault. I was told he was trying to bump draft with Ambrose - Ambrose drives a Ford. Jr a Chevy. Guess the rear ends of the Fords don't match up with other makes and that is what had caused the accident.) Still it was Jr who caused it...ten cars on the track and he wrecks 'em all...way to go Jr. :-o LOL

But I wouldn't count on it (on ol' June Bug (JR) winning it all) Roger...it is Jeff Gordon's turn to shine. After all the bad luck he went through last year, it is about time that luck turns his way. His drive for five is ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And oh yeah, btw, thanks for advertising my league and bringing more people aboard. You seem to be doing better than I am at it. :( Please feel free to join my league...it will be fun and I promise not to pick on you as much as I do Roger. ;)

Also...ONE MONTH from today is the Daytona 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else excited?

Wow, I gotta hand it to you Garrett. That was one very powerfully written guilt trip. The whole time I was reading it I was hanging my head in shame like a six year old who just got caught stealing cookies. I don't know if I'll ever recover from this deep seeded feeling of guilt that you have laid upon me. I may possibly be scarred for the rest of my life because of my horrible actions and your scathing accusations.

Wait a minute.....

I'm all better now....

GO DALE JR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I gotta hand it to you Garrett. That was one very powerfully written guilt trip. The whole time I was reading it I was hanging my head in shame like a six year old who just got caught stealing cookies. I don't know if I'll ever recover from this deep seeded feeling of guilt that you have laid upon me. I may possibly be scarred for the rest of my life because of my horrible actions and your scathing accusations.

Wait a minute.....

I'm all better now....

GO DALE JR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What guilt trip and accusations, Roger? I was just laying down the facts. You can't argue the facts, can you?

Ah well...was just giving you a hard time. I wouldn't get all upset about it. Jr is a good guy and a great driver. Can't go wrong by going with Jr...though you could do better to.

Like going for JEFF GORDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guess what y'all...there is ONLY 20 LOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG days until the Daytona 500! Who else is excited?????

Or "Matt Kenseth" days to go (he's driving Joey Logano's old number this year for Joe Gibbs Racing). I've looked at pictures of the 2013 Fords and Chevys, but I think this is the first time I've seen the 2013 Toyota:

Husky2013-fb.jpg