The Dukes of Mexico

RogerDuke

Okay, the Dukes haven't moved to Mexico despite the thread title. And for those of you familiar with the episode titles of the Dukes cartoon series and the world travels of the Dukes in that series, The Dukes of Mexico isn't a title of one of the episodes.

But I thought folks might like this story.

Earlier today my wife was watching a movie called "The Mexican" on TBS. It stars Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts. I was in the dining room reading the Sunday paper when all the sudden I heard Boss call Rosco on the CB and Rosco responsing....

Sure enough there's a brief moment in the movie where The Dukes of Hazzard appears in a motel in Mexico in the middle of a Brad Pitt scene.

What a thrill! If I would of known that was on the movie I wouldn't have been so thrilled but when you're not expecting something like that it sure puts a smile on a Duke fan's face!

That was a great spot, Roger. There's only a couple of shots of the TV, and the dialog is in Spanish.

Mexican1.jpg

The episode they're watching is 'Mary Kaye's Baby'. When Brad Pitt is in the foreground you can just see Bo and Luke finding the moonshine on the back seat. It was difficult to get a clear grab of that, but here's the same shots as above, taken from my DVD.

Mexican2.jpg

There was almost another Dukes tie-in. The guy who goes to meet Brad picks up a rental car in the previous scene. He asks what sort of car he's getting, and is told it's a new Chrysler. He then asks the rental guy for an alternative. When he arrives we see he's been given an orange Dodge Charger, although it's a '71.

Mexican3.jpg

• 2 months later...
i remember another thing when knight rider goes against a orange charger as well

I thought there were some screengrabs from this episode somewhere on HNet, but I couldn't find them when I looked yesterday. The episode was called 'Give Me Liberty... or Give Me Death' (S01E15), and concerned an alternative fuel race with a large cash prize. The reasons for the Dukes/General Lee comparisons are obvious when you see one of the race cars:

KR1_0115.jpg

An orange '69 Dodge Charger with Vector wheels does sound kinda familiar. Added to that, the car was driven by a couple of Southerners called Sonny and Lester Prince, who wore Confederate flags on their jackets. The car itself ran on moonshine (as did its drivers!). I love the way that the props department had to come up with a fake racing team name and ended up with "Racing Team".

KR2_0115.jpg

Here's the complete line-up of all six entrants. It's amazing that all six looked and sounded like regular petrol engines when they were introduced. Maybe we're more used to some of these alternative fuels being real-life realities nowadays.

KR3_0115.jpg

The orange car did differ from the General in one very noticeable way - the doors opened!

KR4_0115.jpg

Not only did the car run on moonshine, it also had its own still in the trunk. Just for the novelty value, here's a car jumping over an orange Charger.

KR5_0115.jpg

What a surprise - the Dodge doesn't make it to the end of the show.

KR6_0115.jpg

A second, massive explosion rips through the car as it comes to rest. It looks like the pyrotechnics guys had fun with this one.

KR7_0115.jpg

It's not all bad news for Charger fans - by the time Michael has run 50 yards from KITT, the Charger has become a black 4-door Fury or Monaco (and all the hay bales have disappeared).

KR8_0115.jpg

So there you have it - between two 'Knight Rider' episodes they manage to blow up a General Lee look-alike and burn down the Duke Farm.

• 2 years later...

Not only did the car run on moonshine, it also had its own still in the trunk. Just for the novelty value, here's a car jumping over an orange Charger.

KR5_0115.jpg

What a surprise - the Dodge doesn't make it to the end of the show.

KR6_0115.jpg

A second, massive explosion rips through the car as it comes to rest. It looks like the pyrotechnics guys had fun with this one.

KR7_0115.jpg

It's not all bad news for Charger fans - by the time Michael has run 50 yards from KITT, the Charger has become a black 4-door Fury or Monaco (and all the hay bales have disappeared).

KR8_0115.jpg

So there you have it - between two 'Knight Rider' episodes they manage to blow up a General Lee look-alike and burn down the Duke Farm.

In which Knight Rider episode was the Duke farm blown up?

S04E14 Out of the Woods, some or most of it is recorded on the same ranch as the Dukes from season 5 to 7. The Duke farm gets set on fire and the Boars nest is a Lumberyard. Although it's not fully destroyed as it shows up later in an episode of Murder she wrote. And again after that it's visible in the movie Nothing but trouble from the 90s.

• 3 weeks later...