Story of Coy

I figured that I'd put up a sample of the story to see if anyone would be interested in helping me as a Beta. Any thoughts or suggestions (Even if you aren't interested in being a Beta) are welcomed.

Coy walked up the old drive that was nearly non-existent after all of these years. Trees had grown up just like he'd known that they would have. If someone hadn't known that a house used to be up this way they would never have found it. Coy picked his way through the thick undergrowth until he finally came across the first remnants of an old burnt out cabin in the woods.

His mother had loved living out here. She hadn't wanted to live in a more traditional farmhouse; said that living out here felt more like her home where she'd grown up in the mountains. Coy smiled as he remembered his mother and how much his father had loved her. Here in the small cabin under the shade of the trees that surrounded it there had been many great times.

Coy didn't know why he'd felt drawn to his childhood home; even when he'd come to stay with Jesse while Bo and Luke were off in NASCAR he'd steered clear of this small corner of the Duke Farm. He suspected that it had something to do with the funeral that he'd come to Hazzard for. He knew that his uncle wouldn't live forever but he really hadn't expected to get that call while he was up in Detroit. Coy and Vance had made it a point to check in on their uncle every chance that they could. It just didn't seem right that their uncle was now gone.

Now out of the original eight Duke Boys there were only two left; two of the first Duke Boys that tore up the back roads of Hazzard in speeding automobiles.

Coy walked over to the remaining hearth where the fireplace had stood and sat down while looking around the old burned out room. Sitting here he could almost see himself sitting in front of the fire while playing with his toys as a child. Then there was Vance after his parents had died when he was six. He'd come to live with his family even though Jesse and Lavinia had been willing to take him in. Coy's parents had insisted that since he already had the Bo and Luke (Daisy came in less than a year after Vance's parents died) that they should raise Vance. Vance and Coy got along just like brothers anyway so it was only right that they should be raised as them as well.

Coy recalled as he and Vance would roughhouse and come running through the room at high-speed while playing or fighting. It seemed just like yesterday…

Coy sat in front of the warm fire with his wooden cars while he listened to his father on the phone. At five years old he didn't understand most of what was said but it didn't stop him from listening anyway.

"Jack and Caroline are what?... But how… Is Vance alright…Then he's…But Jesse…Yes I know full well that you always take it on yourself to look after everyone but in this case… Jesse…Jack's my brother too ya know which means that I'm just as much Vance's family as you are…No that ain't what I mean but you've already got Bo and Luke to take care of…Vance can share Coy's room. Just like they do when he would come and spend the night. You know these boys are nearly inseparable…Yes I'm sure. You and Lavinia have your hands full as it is…You know that Helen will agree to it to; she's always loved Vance and you know it…Alright, I'm on my way."

Coy then watched as his father walked into the modest kitchen and talked with his mother briefly before he left out the back door and drove off. After he was gone his mother came in and sat on the couch to watch her son play. He noticed that his mother looked like she'd been crying so he left his place on the floor and climbed up in his mother's lap. She'd hugged him close to herself and only later did he find out what had made his mother so upset.

Earlier that day Vance and his parents had been in a car accident; of the three only a six year old Vance had survived. He'd been thrown clear of the accident just before the car had tumbled down the side of Iron Mountain. That had been the only saving grace; sparing the young boy from suffering the same fate as his parents.

So after Vance was released from the hospital the Dukes mournfully set about the task of planning a double funeral for Jack and Caroline Duke. Meanwhile, Vance was moved into Coy's room; his new home on the Duke land.