Famous Movie and TV Cars

HossC

I'm breaking two rules here: one of HazzardNet's and one of my own! I'd promised myself that I would try not to create any more threads in 'Fan Art' (I figured I was being greedy), but here I go with a new one. Not only that, but the artwork isn't even related to the Dukes of Hazzard (I hope the mods will be gentle with me ;)).

Seeing as I had updated vector art for a Dodge Charger and a '68 Mustang I couldn't resist the urge to do this project, so I'm kicking off this new thread with the two cars from possibly the greatest chase in movie history. If you haven't guessed, it's 'Bullitt'. The baddies had the black '68 Charger (I had to change the front end, rear end and side markers), while Steve McQueen chased them in a highland green Mustang. For those of you unfamiliar with the chase, you can see most of it here.

BullittMustang2_zpsf96b45ee.jpg

BullittCharger2_zpsdf5398e7.jpg

I've got a few other movie cars in mind, and will add them as soon as they're done.

When I was thinking of other movies that featured Chargers, 'Dirty Mary Crazy Larry' (1974) came to mind. The car was mainly a '69 R/T, although a '68 and a base model also appeared. I seem to remember one scene where one of the other Chargers was used as a camera car, and can be seen in a reflection on the main car. It took a while until I was happy with the coloring on this one. The car was painted 'Limelight Yellow', which is actually a fluorescent yellow-green color. I hope y'all will think it's close enough :).

ETA: The original video I posted is no longer available (and I can't remember exactly what was in it), so here's the trailer instead:

SPOILER ALERT: Anyone who's seen the intro to 'The Fall Guy' will know how the movie ends.

AutoWorld were supposed to be making a 1:18 diecast of this car, but have run into licensing issues. It may appear sometime in 2013.

DirtyMaryCrazyLarry.jpg

While I'm doing movies with Chargers, I guess I should do 'Christine' (1983). Of course, it would be impossible to do 'Christine' without doing Christine herself. I can tell you she's a 1958 Plymouth, and is usually referred to as a Fury, although she has characteristics from a Belvedere too. I normally do the windows some kind of green/blue color but it only seemed right to do Christine's windows black. For those who don't remember, Arnie bought Christine from a guy whose "brother bought her back in September '57. That's when you got your new model year, in September. Brand-new, she was. She had the smell of a brand-new car. That's just about the finest smell in the world..." (and I'll leave that quote there!).

ChristineFury.jpg

Here's the Charger that belonged to Arnie's friend, Dennis. Apart from the wheels it looks like a pretty stock 1968 base model. There aren't any clear shots of the tires, so it took me a while to identify them. Earlier this week, over on the Facebook page, Brian Burgett asked "Was it a repainted General Lee?". I have no inside information, but based on observation, I'd say no. I can't believe they'd convert a General from a '69 to a '68 and replace the vinyl roof when an all blue '69 Charger would have worked just as well. On the other hand, since this car is almost unique in movie history - a Dodge Charger that makes it to end of the movie in one piece! - it could have been converted to a General afterwards.

The movie provides an unusual scene for us Dukes fans when Arnie first arrives at Darnell's: a Dodge Charger following a Plymouth Fury! The Charger's horn is required to open the door, but sadly it's stock, not Dixie.

ChristineCharger.jpg

I have the 1:18 Ertl model of Christine (Autoworld are rumored to be reissuing it at the end of 2012), and Danbury Mint made 1:24 models of Christine and the Charger, but they always leave out Buddy Repperton's car. It was a '67 Camaro with black stripes and a shiny set of Corvette wheels. Watch the movie carefully and you'll see that the engine is removed before the car meets its fate. I never got a clear screengrab of the emblem on the front fender, so I had to guess what it was and put something plausible there. If it's wrong and anyone knows what it should be, I'll change it.

ChristineCamaro.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

To celebrate 50 years of James Bond, and the launch of 'Skyfall', I thought it was time to do my first British car. Y'all may be expecting an Aston Martin DB5, and I may do one in the future. I also thought about doing the Lotus Esprit that turned into a submarine in 'The Spy Who Loved Me'; again, I'm tempted. In the end I went for the Lotus Esprit Turbo Series 2 (S2) from 'For Your Eyes Only'. Later generations of the car became curvier (remember the car near the start of 'Pretty Woman'), but the more angular, early-80s cars are the ones I go for.

The turbocharged Essex-spec S2 may have only had a 2.2 litre engine, but it produced 210 bhp. Coupled with a lightweight body, it was capable of around 150 mph, 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and could still return 15-20 mpg (US); not bad for a car in 1980. The white car below appeared in the Spanish sequence of the movie. Pay particular attention to triangular red sticker on the side window; one of the bad guys ignored it with explosive consequences.

LotusEspritTurbo1.jpg

The original script called for the car above to be reassembled, but they found the white body didn't show up well against the snow in Italy. A decision was made to spray the car a beautiful copper color. They also added the gold wheels and a ski rack to create one of my favorite movie cars, ever! For those of you that are interested, they are Olin Mark VI skis with Tyrolia (360D, I think) bindings.

LotusEspritTurbo2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the Wagon Queen Family Truckster from 'National Lampoon's Vacation'. It started out as a 1979 Ford LTD Country Squire, but then it was given to "King of the Kustomizers", George Barris. It ended up with eight headlights, double rear lights, over-the-top wood panels, and metallic pea green paint. Strangely, this car doesn't appear on his website, but the General Lee does, and he had nothing to do with its creation.

I didn't fancy doing the roof rack luggage from three different angles, so this is how it looked when Clark and Rusty collected it from 'Lou Glutz Motors'. Most of the decent sized photos I worked from were pictures of replicas created by fans, so I hope I got it near enough. Apparently, only one of the screen-used Trucksters survived filming, and is now at a museum in Roscoe, Illinois.

John Hughes must've liked the look, because the Chrysler LeBaron Convertible based car driven by Steve Martin and John Candy in 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' had the same color scheme. The wood paneling is also carried over to the maroon Ford Taurus Wagon belonging to the Griswold's in 'Christmas Vacation'.

You can see the Family Truckster in

(the theme from the movie). It includes the scenes where Chevy Chase tries to find the gas cap and where he tries to impress Christie Brinkley.

FamilyTruckster.jpg

After posting the Family Truckster last week I remembered that Cale Yarborough was driving an '83 Ford LTD Country Squire when he returned to Hazzard in season 7. As you can see from the pictures below, apart from the lights and side rear window, the real car is not a million miles from George Barris's creation. In fact, Cale's car has a larger area of fake wood!

CaleWagon0709.jpg

• 5 years later...

Thanks a bunch on that!

As a hint, the wheels used by those are the same as the ones on the Springville County PD Polaras (but of course, with the proper wheel covers from 1974 to 1977...)

The patrol cars that were in ‘The Blues Brothers’ included the: 1974 and 1975 Chevrolet Bel Air, 1973 Dodge Polara (those were painted all white and given the markings of the Wauconda, IL Police), 1975 Dodge Monaco and 1977 Dodge Royal Monaco [same size but different front end which has hidden headlights.] (both used in the movie by the Illinois State Police and Chicago Police with white wheels.)

Edited by Shooter2759
Extra Info...