I'm street legal!!

CDoherty95

Hey y'all :)

After putting it off all summer, I've finally done it! I passed my driver theory test which allows me to drive any car so long as I have a full licensed driver with me, and have "L" plates displayed on the car I'm driving.

After I've done 12 lessons with a certified instructor, and after I've had my first licence I'm able to apply for my full licence. That means I can drive alone and without "L" plates on the car I'm driving.

I drove home from the motor tax center earlier (where I filled out the form to get my licence) and couldn't help smiling uncontrollably.

I'm driving my parents cars at the moment, but I'm slowly saving up for a small Suzuki Jimny, or Samurai as it's known as in America. I plan to add big off road tires, lights and bull bars. Insurance would also be cheap, because technically it's classified as a commercial vehicle. The standard engine size is a 1.3 liter, which may sound tiny, but this would cause fuel,insurance and tax to be considerably cheaper than most other cars of that size.

11BA1349-A98D-4ACD-A7FD-1CF3194FF4EA-4926-00000747C521E80B.jpg

Congrats. But I guess you might be congratulating me in a few months 'cause I can get my driver's permit in October. It's exciting. But I still need to read the little book we get and have to read before we take our test. It's goin' to be interesting to see which of my parent's cars I have to take my driving test in. It's between a 2004 Dodge Caravan and a 2000 Chrysler something:-P. I might have to years switched but it's close enough.

Congratulations!

Just remember, all the stunts on The Dukes of Hazzard were done by professionals so don't go crazy.

Be safe CDoherty......and you too later on K-Duke!

Thanks Roger. I know not to do anything on the Dukes. I wouldn't hear the end of it from my parents if I did.

With CD driving on the east side of the big pond and KD getting ready to drive here on the west side of the big pond I'm starting to wonder if any continent is safe.....hmmmm, maybe Australia and Antarctica.

Boy, you gave me a chuckle Roger. I guess everyone should watch out for us. Even all of western Ohio when I start driving to my grandparents when we do trips up. Which the first time might be in November.

Boy, you gave me a chuckle Roger. I guess everyone should watch out for us. Even all of western Ohio when I start driving to my grandparents when we do trips up. Which the first time might be in November.

Thanks for the warning. I live in western Pennsylvania so I should be safe when you drive up to western Ohio. Ohio is a pretty wide state so I'm not too nervous about you being in this part of the country. Still, I'm going to be a little extra cautious in November since you're only going to be about 300 miles away.

I'm more worried about my youngest nephew who turns 16 later this year and lives in the same county I do. LOL

Thanks for the warning. I live in western Pennsylvania so I should be safe when you drive up to western Ohio. Ohio is a pretty wide state so I'm not too nervous about you being in this part of the country. Still, I'm going to be a little extra cautious in November since you're only going to be about 300 miles away.

I'm more worried about my youngest nephew who turns 16 later this year and lives in the same county I do. LOL

You should still be cautious. Just keep a ear open to the news. :lol: But I feel sorry for you that you have to worry about your nephew. I know all my aunts and uncles on my mom's side are going to be worried about their youngest niece (aka me :)). I know everyone's going to be worried about me though but not as much as whenever my brother starts driving, which I don't know when my parents will let him.

• 2 months later...

Congratulations K-Duke.

I've driven for 36 years without an accident or moving violation so I've earned the right to give young drivers like you advice. Here's my top 10 in no particular order.

1) Always consider the possibility that another driver is going to do something stupid.

2) Look twice in both directions before pulling out. Blind spots between windshields and side windows can be deadly if not considered.

3) Don't use your cell phone, smart phone, I-phone or any similiar device ever. (If you don't believe me just look at the driver the next time you see someone else coming toward you and crossing the center line in your path. 80% of the time you'll see them looking at an electronic device).

4) If you take a curve at 50 mph on Monday, 51 mph Tuesday and 52 mph Wednesday don't think you can go faster every day around that curve. Everything has its limits. Don't push them.

5) Don't tailgate. PLEASE DON't TAILGATE. It's stupid and dangerous.

6) If you think you can go as fast in the snow you'll soon find out that you can't. Hopefully you won't learn the hard way. Leave earlier to get to your destination.

7) Make sure your vehicle is safe, especially your tires and brakes.

8) Don't give into peers who want you to do something unsafe. You're better off being a live nerd than a dead cool kid.

9) Use your turn signals...not just for safety but for common courtesy as well.

10) Don't ever think you're the master of your vehicle. My grandfather once told me "As soon as you think you're in charge of a piece of machinery, be it a drill press, chain saw, lawn mower or vehicle, it'll show you real fast that you're not the boss. Overconfidence can kill."

Now that I got that out of the way, have fun.....the right kind of fun. We're a big happy family here and we care about our young folks. You're the future of the HazzardNet!

Congratulations K-Duke!

I just thought I'd add a few tips of my own that I've picked up over the past few months.

- Never cross your arms while you're driving. It's easier and safer to shuffle the wheel between your hands.

- Always drive with the drivers window down half an inch or so. It stops the windows fogging up.

- If you're driving a manual, or stick shift, never drive with one hand resting on the shifter. You don't have as much control of the car if you're hit.

- Don't leave you're foot resting on the clutch. It wears it out quicker.

- Whenever you stop while driving always put the parking brake on and then put it in park. This means that if you're hit from behind you won't be sent flying forward.

- And finally, if you see a construction site, dip in the road, or broken bridge make sure you're doing at least 60mph to make the jump!

Safe driving!

I've driven for 36 years without an accident or moving violation ...

You reminded me of a British comedian called Jasper Carrott. He's the real-life father of the actress who played the receptionist in the original version of 'The Office'. One of the routines he's best known for is funny insurance claims, and one of them includes:

"I had been driving for 40 years when I fell asleep at the wheel." :)

You can see some more of them here.

Joking aside, you and CD give some very good advice for young drivers. I'll add something that I was genuinely told when I was learning to drive:

"Driving at night is just like driving in the day, except it's dark!"

You guys are quite funny.

Roger, in Ohio it's illegal for us to drive and text and I think for everyone under the age of 18, we can't use any kind of electronic.

CD, I'll remember that tip. :)

Hoss, night driving will be hard for me at most times because I have Nystagmus which is involuntary shaking of the eyes. It's not super bad for me but can increase when I'm tired or have spun around in circles for a minute or two. It can make it hard for me to concentrate on certain things. So that will be a challenge.

But to everyone, it's nice to know that there are so many people that can help and give support. We sure are one big family.

I've just remembered some unhelpful advice as well. It's a sketch from a British sketch show that pokes fun at old British public information films (the UK equivalent of public service announcements) and old-fashioned sexist attitudes:

The Harry Enfield Show - Women Drivers

At least times had changed by the time 'Officer Daisy Duke' came around:

"This here Equal Opportunities law says that the sheriff's office has gotta open jobs for ladies now, just like regular people." ;)

In Ohio it's illegal for us to drive and text and I think for everyone under the age of 18, we can't use any kind of electronic.

Really? In Ireland it's illegal to use any sort of electronic device while driving at any age. That also includes talking to someone on the phone with the speaker on. I think it's an automatic €500 fine, and two penalty points on our licence.

The penalty points are basically like a black mark on your licence, and if you get twelve points you have your licence taken off you and you can't apply for a new one for two years. Is that right Hoss?

Our police are also very strict with speeding. They have speed cameras on most main roads, and consider 52mph in a 50mph zone to be speeding. My dads mom learnt that the hard way unfortunately.

On a lighter note, now that you have your permit you'll have to perfect your hood slide and jump through the window! :)

Really? In Ireland it's illegal to use any sort of electronic device while driving at any age. That also includes talking to someone on the phone with the speaker on. I think it's an automatic €500 fine, and two penalty points on our licence.

The penalty points are basically like a black mark on your licence, and if you get twelve points you have your licence taken off you and you can't apply for a new one for two years. Is that right Hoss?

From the Road Safety Authority website:

Driving while using a mobile phone: 2 penalty points and fixed-charge of €60; 4 penalty points and possible €2,000 fine on conviction in court for non-payment of fixed charge.

You can see the other offences that incur penalty points here.

You're right about the 12 point limit, and points stay on your licence for three years. From the RSA website again:

Any driver accumulating 12 penalty points within any given three-year period will be automatically disqualified from driving for six months. The driver is required to surrender his/her licence to the appropriate licensing authority within 14 days of receiving notification of the disqualification. It is an offence not to surrender a licence. It is also an offence to drive while disqualified.

We also have the points thing here.

Here is a link for the texting ban. This says what the bill is.

I also think it would be kind of hard to hood slide a van or climb through a window in a van since that's what I'm probably going to be driving most of the time.

Though I do wish to have a mustang, charger, challenger, truck, or the new Volkswagen bug. :)

"I had been driving for 40 years when I fell asleep at the wheel." :)"

That's funny Hoss! And it does a great job of backing up my tenth point.

You'd have to be pretty confident in your driving skills to nap at the wheel.

That reminds me of the scene where Bo was driving and Luke covered his eyes and said "I can't look."

Bo did the same and said "Me neither."