Blue Screen of Death

RogerDuke

It looks like our 10 year old Dell has breathed its last. While viewing a newspaper website it started acting up and apparently it is now toast. After describing it to people I've been told that I have witnessed the dreaded "blue screen of death" and it's time to go computer shopping. I still have to consult my son-in-law who is a computer engineer but there's a chance I'll be out of the HazzardNet loop for a few days (or longer).

I'm typing this on a computer somewhere else but don't have a lot of access to other computers so I'll be back after I'm back online at home.

I wonder if there would have been computers in Hazzard and the Rosco's would have crashed if he would have said...."That was a horrendous crash. It would have kilt 10 ordinary computers"

Sorry to hear that, Roger. A dead computer indicates a hardware problem. The (in)famous "Blue Screen Of Death" (BSOD) is the result of Windows crashing, and therefore a software fault. Having said that, Windows may have crashed because of a hardware fault - faulty memory and overheating chips can cause all sorts of issues.

I'll try to cheer you up with some relevant haiku poems. They were part of a fake story that a Japanese company had replaced Microsoft's error messages:

Windows XP crashed.

I am the Blue Screen of Death.

No one hears your screams.

Yesterday it worked.

Today it is not working.

Windows is like that.

A crash reduces

your expensive computer

to a simple stone.

Computers are strange things. Here's a story that I originally heard about 20 years ago (there are variations with plumbers etc.):

One morning a business owner discovers that their server is broken. It won’t boot up, won’t turn on. He calls a computer technician to come out and see what he can do.

The expert shows up, looks at the machine carefully for a few minutes, and even gives it a careful listen. He runs his fingers lightly on the side of the computer, and then taps it with a small hammer. The computer starts right up, the business owner is happy, and the expert goes away.

Two days later, the expert’s bill shows up. “Computer repair, $500,†it says.

Angrily the business owner calls up the expert. “$500?! All you did was tap the computer, and you charged me $500?! I want you to send me an itemized version of your bill, to see why you thought that was worth $500.â€

Two days later, the new bill arrives in the mail. “Tapping the computer with a hammer, $1. Knowing where to tap it, $499.†:)

Computers are strange things. Here's a story that I originally heard about 20 years ago (there are variations with plumbers etc.):

One morning a business owner discovers that their server is broken. It won’t boot up, won’t turn on. He calls a computer technician to come out and see what he can do.

The expert shows up, looks at the machine carefully for a few minutes, and even gives it a careful listen. He runs his fingers lightly on the side of the computer, and then taps it with a small hammer. The computer starts right up, the business owner is happy, and the expert goes away.

Two days later, the expert’s bill shows up. “Computer repair, $500,†it says.

Angrily the business owner calls up the expert. “$500?! All you did was tap the computer, and you charged me $500?! I want you to send me an itemized version of your bill, to see why you thought that was worth $500.â€

Two days later, the new bill arrives in the mail. “Tapping the computer with a hammer, $1. Knowing where to tap it, $499.†:)

That is one EXPENSIVE tap...

Rog, that's what happens when you're on a website other than HazzardNet. :-o

Seriously tho', I hope you get a new PC soon. I feel your pain.

I've blown up my fair share of computers over the years. IBM, Compaq, Dell...crash, boom, bang.

The brand I've had the best luck with, hands down, is Toshiba. I've used Toshiba laptops for a number of years and they've endured amazing use and abuse.

My current Toshiba Satellite survived a long fall to a hardwood floor a couple years ago. Only damage was the external USB net card and port. I immediately got another USB net thing and put it in another port, and all's good. The day-to-day reliability and performance has been excellent.

I've had to get more familiar with Mac's in the past year, due to the assignments I work with, and I can see where Apple wins for mobile use. Would take a lot to tear me away from my Toshiba at home, though.

We've been dragging our feet on the new computer so I'm not sure how much longer it's going to be before I'm back. I'm at my daughter's house right now. Her husband is the computer engineer I was talking about. Unfortunately he's not home right now and has been working 12 hour days 7 days a week on a big project and hasn't been able to help us pick up a new computer, hook it up and install the virus protection. It could be awhile before I'm up and running again. The only thing I really miss the computer for is HazzardNet so I'm not really pushing the issue too much but my wife is really missing her Facebook so I'm guessing she'll be going to a plan B real quick if my son-in-law can't help.

We just got our new computer running!

YAY Roger is back! So glad you are back Roger so I can tell you just how great the Cubs are and how they are better than your Pirates (just don't look at the Central NL standings or stats...they're lying) and how you should ditch the Pirates for the Cubs. :escape: After all, who wouldn't want to be a fan of the greatest team of all of baseball..the CHICAGO CUBS????????????? I can't even begin to imagine why anyone wouldn't want to be a Cubs fan...it's great to be a Cubs fan. You should try it. ;):rofl:

Well now that I got that out of my system, welcome back Roger. Glad to see you got a new computer or a computer up and running at least. I know I would be lost without my computer...

Thanks Garrett. I'm still struggling with this mouse. Well, I guess it isn't called a mouse. It's a laptop so it's just a flat spot that you rub your finger on. I'm the type of person who doesn't like change but I'll adjust since I have no choice.

It looks like I have a lot to catch up on, including bragging about my Pittsburgh Pirates. I'm almost afraid to check up on your NASCAR thread. I suspect David Ragen hasn't gotten any better since I've been gone.

Thanks Garrett. I'm still struggling with this mouse. Well, I guess it isn't called a mouse. It's a laptop so it's just a flat spot that you rub your finger on. I'm the type of person who doesn't like change but I'll adjust since I have no choice.

It looks like I have a lot to catch up on, including bragging about my Pittsburgh Pirates. I'm almost afraid to check up on your NASCAR thread. I suspect David Ragen hasn't gotten any better since I've been gone.

Hey Roger...I got a lap top with that too, but my dad bought me a cordless mouse to use with it. It's great.

David Ragen hasn't done much of anything since you left. Sorry to report that Roger. But you have missed my NASCAR news on AJ probably and you missed Jeff Gordon's rain shortened WIN at Pocono a week and a half ago. Also his poor finish yesterday due to oil on the track...errr. You do have some catching up on. LOL.

GO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!! ;)8-)