dukes at work

Jamanda

I have a story! ROFL

One of the classes I took in college (back in like 96/97 when the Dukes were on TNN) was called "Juvenile Justice" (I was originally thinking to be a paralegal so I ended up taking a lot of the same classes as the criminal justice folks. Imagine that? LOL)

Anyway, the teacher presented us with the following situation: You receive a call that there is a loud party going on at a house and there are approximately 20 kids there, some underage and there is alcohol. What do you do?

Well one kid said "I'd call for some back up first."

The teacher said that there was no backup available.

To which another kid said "Well wait a minute, what is this some one horse town with Rosco P. Coltrane?"

Then sombody at the back of the class went "Khee khee! I love it, I love it!" (and no it was't me, but I was laughing my posterior off with everyone else)

:)

I have a friend who buys crappy old cars really cheap, and tries to drive like the Dukes sometimes on country backroads. I'm not actually sure if he does this alot, or maybe just once in a great while. I know he landed a 1983 Chevy Blazer that he got for free (imagine what this heap looked like, being it was for free) in a ditch, and a local farmer retrieved it for him using the bucket of his backhoe!!! Put a big dent in the roof, and smashed the rear window in the process. The farmer was just passing by in his backhoe when he saw him purposely do a 180 degree bootlegger's turn, losing control and went into the ditch. Does this count as a "Dukes Moment?"

when i was younger my older sister used to call a "dipstick" alot.

i have 2 sisters, and we lived on a farm, my grandfather always had a few cars/trucks around ...my sister used to roll down the windows & lock to doors, and played "dukes of hazzards" with our older sister being "roscoe". we slide across the hood and slide into the window.

Then off we went on another exciting adventure.

lol! My dad used to let us climb in and out of the windows of his little Mazda truck. He'd always be Cooter for us, since he was a mechanic.

And this is another one of those things that may or may not be Duke's related, but there is this kid in my English class, who, without fail, will exclaim, "Hot Da--!"

lol!

• 5 years later...

Every time I listen to the Jean Ritchie song 'The L & N Don't Stop Here Anymore' (I have versions by Johnny Cash and Michelle Shocked) I think of the Dukes because of this verse:

I was born and raised at the mouth of the Hazard Holler

Where the coal cars rolled and rumbled past my door

But now they stand in a rusty row of all empties

Because the L & N don't stop here anymore

It was written many years before DoH, and I assume refers the Hazard, Kentucky as she grew up in a house in the Cumberland Mountains. That doesn't stop me imagining the Dukes growing up with coal cars rumbling by when I hear it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know where my parents live, there is a gravel road for about a half of mile. Well, I love coming off the black top and sliding on the gravel, yelling "Yeeeehaaaaw" the whole way. Plus I tell friends of mine to "keep 'em between the ditches". I have even been know to tell people I need "cash on the barrelhead". Plus I lived in Georgia, and even though I have been gone for a few years, my southern drawl comes out sometimes. Possum on a gumbush!