Heat Wave June/July 2012

countrygirl1986

There have been several broken records across the country due to a heat wave, not to mention severe weather has accompanied it, with more due to occur tonight... It was just a few years ago Europe went through a heat wave like what we are currently experiencing on the Eastern Seaboard.

While I have been suffering due to the heat, because I don't have air conditioning (I've been trying to visit my mother at every chance I get for the AC), there is an interesting tidbit that occurred during this heat wave that has put a smile on my face because it was funny...

You know it's hot when a plane gets delayed at the airport... Why you might ask did the plane get delayed? Because the tarmac got so hot it turned into butter! The wheels literally sank in the soft asphalt, and got stuck. This occurred, I believe yesterday, at the Washington DC International Airport!

Conversely, it makes me wonder why all the road crews are still laying asphalt on the highways... it's too hot for it to harden properly, and more likely to crack in the winter due to the asphalt shrinking.

I believe the actual name of the airport is JFK, but I could be wrong, I just know it's the international airport in DC.

Wrong ex-president I'm afraid, it was at the Reagan National Airport. JFK is in NYC and Dulles is DC's international airport. You can read the full story here.

Any chance you could send the sun over here? We've hardly seen it for the past two or three weeks, and it must be our turn by now :).

What we have had is heavy rain on virtually a daily basis. They've had it worse in the UK with extensive flooding in some areas and sporting events and summer festivals have suffered disruption as a result.

In southern Russia they had five months of rain in a few hours over the weekend, causing flash floods and killing over 170 people.

Our sky was a really strange color today - from my distant memory I think it's called "blue". Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or should I be worried? There was also a strange yellow object in the sky, sort of circular in shape, and the water had stopped falling ;).

Unfortunately the weather is wild, we somo offenders.

in December 2011 and January 2012 did not rain a single day and burned our entire crop of soybeans, corn, sunflower, etc. throughout south america. soy is rising in price in Chicago-USA, there is a danger that not enough for all countries with hunger.

That's funny, here in December and January, now in USA. For our summer forecast more rain than normal, let's hope so.

I want from here that the rains come to the U.S. immediately, just by people but I care more trees and animals die in large forest fires.

hug for everyone.

Well, I have an unusual side-effect of the heat-wave for ya. My husband is epileptic and his seizures have gotten worse over the last few years. His latest seizure became downright dangerous. He was outside in the heat for about ten minutes and he convulsed. His deal though is afterwards he has this thing that I call "A sleep-walking" episode. He hallucinates and you never know what he will see or do during these episodes. Last Sunday he walked next door after his seizure and set fire to the neighbor's junk car because he thought that it was a pile of lumber on our own land. He only cause minor damage but still...

Anyway, that was the second seizure he's had just because he was outside in the heat. Here's hoping for a frigid could front. Not to mention that my husband never mistakes the couch for a pile of lumber.:escape:

Jaded if you want we could swap houses. The rain, wind, clouds and cold might suit your husband better! Haha :D

LOL!! I might could use the change of scenery! I was getting ready to lie down of the day ( I work third shift) and was barefoot when I had to go and track him down in the neighborhood. I literally burned the bottom of my feet last week. Oh well, gives me more time to write. Too hot to do anything else. :D Have a humdinger of a plot twist planned for my current WIP!

JPB, I too am sorry to hear about your husband. That must be prettty rough on you.

We're heading for more heat here up by Lake Erie. It's supposed to be in the 90s in a couple days. We sure need rain. It's forecast tomorrow but I don't know if it's going to be enough to fill the wells. I doubt it.

The heat has returned... and I sprained my ankle so I can't exactly get out of the house to go to the mall or my mother's to escape the heat. I'd have to take the bus, and getting to and from the bus stop would be an issue, as well as getting out of my house. I can barely navigate the steps for my bedroom.

Good luck with staying cool y'all.

And keep praying for rain!

Go figure. The heat breaks again, and where do I end up again? In the hospital... where I would have rather been during the heatwave part II... oh well, looks like I might be here for a few days (they don't want to release me without anyone else being home to keep an eye on me. I can't get help if I can't breathe with my behind on crutches).

Wow, everybody's been having a tough time with this hot, dry weather. My own area is dry as a bone. It's so dry, the cows are giving powdered milk, you gotta add your own water.

My house doesn't have air conditioning, and needs some wiring upgrades before I can install it, which needs more money than I got, so....I've been roasting for weeks. I have complete sympathy for those who find their health issues worsened by the heat. It's been a challenge for me too.

But at least I have plenty of clean water. In some areas of my state, folks have wells that are drying up. We've got farmers with parched pastures, who have to pay top dollar for feed because the hay crops are failing, and the corn crops are just about a complete loss. Then, as a bonus, their wells dry up. You can get a new well drilled, but it can cost between 10 and 20 grand. Salt in the wound.

Normally we're awash in water out here, but the drought has gone on so long that things are bleak for our small farmers. All I have to worry about is my dead lawn and the fact grocery prices are going up. So I try not to complain about the heat.

Hey ya'll! I live in the area that the dercho hit June 29. Here in WV, out of the 55 counties We have, 53 did bot have power. I sat in a gas line for two and a half hours. It was nuts. Some areas it took over two weeks for the power to come on. During this time the temp was up into the 90s. I had friends staying at my house because my power came back on within 24 hours and I had air. It was crazy, trees down everywhere, telephone and power lines down. Our cell service tookabout two weeks to get back to normal. Anyone else in the path of that storm.