Noticed something in Daisy's Song

JRC99

Sorry, I would've replied earlier, but I was halfway through getting screengrabs from a disc from season six. Also I misunderstood which car I was looking at. Initially I thought you meant that LEE 2 had been redressed (like when LEE 1 became the Richard Petty car in 'Repo Men') and was the car that got knocked off the pile.

Junkyard0102.jpg

After digging out the DVD and realizing that you couldn't mistake a 1955 Chevy Bel Air for a 1969 Dosge Charger I decided that you were talking about the General itself. As you can see from the pictures below, the damge changes back and forth throughout the scene. I can't see a scratch on it when it enters the junkyard. Then the bumper, nudge bar and front fender get bent during the first shunt. The first picture below shows a dent about halfway along the front fender (sorry, it was really difficult to grab this one), although we never see how it got this damage. Next time we see the General, all the damage has disappeared. After the next shunt the damage caused by the original shunt is back again. In the last picture the General has considerable damage down the left side caused by scraping along the white 1963 Chevy Bel Air in the bottom right. Of course the General is spotless again before it leaves the junkyard :). I don't know which car they used - now the screengrabs are up I'll let y'all decide.

GeneralDamage0102.jpg

The other cars in the top picture are a 1967/68 Mustang coupe and a 1967 Ford Fairlane. I think the car under the Mustang is a 1970-72 Chevelle. There are several old muscle/pony cars in the yard - I spotted a couple of Mustangs and a 1970 Coronet Super Bee for starters.

I don't know if anyone else has the Jon Holland book, but I'll try my best to explain what Lee did what shot in the junkyard.

This is all taken directly from Jon Holland's "The Roads Back to Early Hazzard".

***"Daisy's Song" used Lee 2, Lee 3 and the "High Octane" Lee (the Lee that performs the jump in the first scene of High Octane) to film the scene in the junkyard. Lee 3 was used as for both first and second unit filming in the junkyard. Lee 2 was used for the heavy duty stunt work and took the brunt of the damage. The High Octane Lee was used to exit the junkyard.***

Just skipping down to the FBI car getting rammed.

***When Lee 3 rammed into the FBI car, the front bumper was significantly damaged. It could no longer be used for unit one filming; this is where the High Octane Lee drove into action, being used in a brief shot as the General Lee exits the junkyard.***

This means that Lee 3 was used for most of the junkyard scene, except the exit shot and car falling shot.

Remember Lee 3 was damaged in One Armed Bandits as well. It spun out during the first chase and the drivers door had to be replaced. They replaced the damaged door with Lee 1's door.

Then in Daisy's Song the Lee that rams the Atlanta police car behind Starr's studio is Lee 3. Lee 3 was also scene driving down the highway into Atlanta.

For all the close up shots in front of Starr's, they used Lee 4, which was a red 1968 charger quickly converted to a 69. The conversion was so quick that the builders didn't have time to paint the numbers on the drivers door. As a result of this the film crew had to use Lee 4's passenger side for all the close up shots that showed the front of the charger. They used Lee 3 to filmed Daisy waiting behind Starr's, and for Daisy driving around to the back of Starr's. This is because the front end damage wouldn't be seen by the camera.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've never paid much attention to which car was being used even though I do notice some of the differences and continuity mistakes. That link has a load of pictures identifying the early cars, although I nearly missed the link to the LEE 2 pictures under the Boss/Rosco picture in the top left because it's yellow on white.