I just got a free bike to trash. Any good ideas?

Hi y'all!!

My brother recently got a new bike, and he gave me the old one to use for parts. Well when I say he gave me it, it was more like," I'm giving you this bike, but you have to go and get it".

I should explain at this point that he left it at our grandparents house three years ago, and never got round to collecting it. It sat neglected and forgotten, slowly being swallowed by the ivy in their back yard.

Anyway I went round to their house today, and after taking off the seized front brake and pumping up the tires managed to cycle it part of the way home, at which point the rear gears locked up which caused the bike to skid. I tried using brute force to unlock the gears but ended up breaking the support for the gears. Fortunately this freed the gears and the bike managed to limp home.

When I got it home I discovered more problems. The pedals and pedal assembly are loose which means the ballbearings are gone, the rear wheel is badly buckled, it hasn't got rear gears or a front brake, the back brake is on it's last legs, the front wheel is too big for the front forks and the frame is badly rusted in places.

So in plain English, the bike is beyond economical repair, and I'm going to salvage the few parts I can off it before scrapping it.

However I'm curious to see what methods of destruction y'all can come up with! Judging by the fanfics and threads in general HazzardNet has a very large number of creative people!

Anyway here's a few pictures of the bike. The pictures can't convey how badly damaged the bike is.

bbe3f604.jpg

18a207ad.jpg

I'm not too sure how this happened...

26b36042.jpg

I like the gate idea, but unfortunately I can't use the wheels or pedals from this bike :( I'm going on holidays next sunday, so I might try and bring it with me and jump it off the pier a few times, and I'm sure my brother and his friends would love to do that as well.

I have another idea for this bike though. Has anyone ever heard of the Redneck Rollercoaster? It's a 91 chevy caviliar with the seats mounted 5 feet over the front bumper. As a result of this when the driver steps on the gas and quickly slams on the brakes the car nose dives. I don't know if it would be possible to do in bike form, but it's worth a try I suppose.

I like the gate idea, but unfortunately I can't use the wheels or pedals from this bike :( I'm going on holidays next sunday, so I might try and bring it with me and jump it off the pier a few times...

If you can't use the original wheels and you plan to jump it into the water, then how about this? :)

white-trash-repairs-dont-drink-and-drive-or-drive-your-drink.jpg

Earlier today I stipped this bike down to it's frame and salvaged what I could. It was mostly nuts, bolts and washers that I could save, but I also got the saddle, left pedal and crank,chain, tires and tubes and the back brake. Ever since I built the Fall Guy Bike it's become standard practice to cut the back end off every bike I scrap. The end result usually looks like this.

98abc066.jpg

However as the day progressed I came up with a brainwave. Why not use the remaining frame from this bike and somehow mount it to a wheelchair?

So I went back outside and pulled the bike from the scrap pile, and set to work rebuilding the front end. I put back on the original front forks, but fitted the handlebars that came off the lawnmower I got a few weeks ago.

Does anyone remember the recumbent bike I built? Well I don't blame you if you don't remember it because it never really got off the ground. After work stopped on the recumbent I saved the pedal/front fork assembly for future use. They've been sitting in my garage ever since, and today I took them out and fitted them to the bike.

To do this I drilled a hole in the frame of the red bike, and slotted an axle through the hole. I then slipped the forks onto the axle and tightened the bolts on the axle, which holds the forks in place. I did this twice to secure the forks.

It isn't shown in the pictures in this post, but the stem of the forks (the bit where the handlebars usually go) is the exact same size as the seat post slot on the pedal assembly. Because of this I can slide the forks into the seat post, and because I fitted a quick release bolt, the pedals can be moved forwards or back depending on the riders size.

d114c1de.jpg

6616e9f5.jpg

The reason the seat post and pedals are still attached to the red bike is because I don't know where to mount the wheelchair yet. Once I have the wheelchair I'll cut off more of the bike.

And finally...

I'm having a really good stroke of luck at the moment. I got this red bike for free a few days ago, and then today look what I got.

7a19fe2f.jpg

I was cycling back from my uncles house earlier, and passed a dumpster outside a house. I saw a man in the yard wheeling this bike towards the dumpster. I stopped and asked what was wrong with the bike. He said that the gears started acting up so he left it for a while. Then when he tried to use it again the brakes jammed up. He then just left it lying in his yard, apparently fed up with it.

I asked if I could buy it off him, and he said that I could just take it for free, because it was worthless to him.

When I got it home I discovered that a little wheel had gone missing from the gears, which cause them to act up. I fitted a new wheel in under five minutes and the gears were as good as new. The jammed brakes were solved with a

quick squirt of oil on the cables, and the front tire was a little low. So within ten minutes of getting the bike home I had a fully functioning, essentially brand new free bike.

It has a steel frame, and amazingly hasn't got a single spot of rust on the frame, even though it spent most of it's life outside. I don't want to destroy or modify this bike in any way, because it's just too nice to wreck.

For now I'm just going to use it as a daily rider.

I got given this wheelchair today.

e770fd49.jpg

3a1944a2.jpg

A neighbor a few doors up from me died a few years ago, and left her next door neighbor her wheelchair. Today i was passing by her house and saw the wheelchair through the open garage door, under a pile of boxes.

I stopped and asked if I could buy it, and she said I could just have it.

I'm going to somehow marry the wheelchair and wrecked red bike, and form a weird looking wheelchair bike.

My goal is to have the design both sturdy and robust, but can also for in the trunk of a car. I also want the bike part to be easily detachable, which would allow the wheelchair to be used for conventional use.

Unfortunately it's summer in Ireland, so it rains and rains and rains. Therefore I can only work when it doesn't rain. It began raining before I got a chance to do any real work. I only got a chance to take off the footrests.

Here's a few pictures of the progress so far.

c0e7f762.jpg

e738463b.jpg

Hello friend, I am following his invention, it looks great. I congratulate you because you no longer use wood in their projects. Attach a motor vehicle and not have to esforzarce for walking.

Remember to put mud tires, ajajajajajajajajaaaa.

It is a blessing which receive much rain, rain here so hopefully next summer. I am NOT sow corn farmer but to make wiski, ajajajajajajaja, here CAN NOT.

You already thought of the name of his invention?

Good luck, do well.

hug.

Yes I've stopped using wood now. It is very sturdy if used properly, but it's easier to use steel tubing.

The lawnmower bike is on hold at the moment. The engine I had wasn't powerful enough, so I'm on the lookout for a more powerful engine.

The only name I've come up with so far is the "Wheelchair Bike". Unfortunately the project has reached a standstill because I'm going away on holidays tomorrow, and won't be able to take it with me to work on. I've already got a bike for the mud, the Fall Guy Bike!

I've really got to stop building new bikes though, keeping track of each individual lock key is a nightmare!! Especially since all the locks I own have the same style of key.