Dallas

RogerDuke

Tonight's the night Dallas fans have been waiting for.

Dallas returns to prime time. It will debut on TNT at 9:00 EST.

It will be interesting how it will be presented and if it will attract those who used to be fans. Well, I should say.....they've already been attracted to the idea of a new Dallas but the big question is, can it hold their attention?

Having J.R., Bobby and Sue Ellen back should help ratings but we'll see if that's enough.

I'll post a review right after it airs tonight.

I have to hand it to the makers of the new series. They've done a great job with it.

TNT is going to be running the first two episodes over so I won't give too much away but J.R., Bobby, Sue Ellen, Ray and Lucy are all back. The producers did a great job of blending the old with the new. Christopher (Bobby's adopted son) and John Ross (JR's son) started right off the bat feuding hard, just like their daddies used to do....it took JR awhile to get going with his latest scheme but once he started he dove in with full force.

The show started out with the same music as the original and Southfork Ranch is looking as majestic as always.

My early guess is that this new series has success written all over it. It's certainly worth giving it a try even if you weren't a Dallas fan from the get-go. I have to admit, I only became a Dallas fan because it came on after the Dukes. Otherwise I probably never would have watched it. I don't know if I'd like a new series based on the Dukes...it would depend on how it was done....but I sure like the new Dallas.

We'll have to wait for the new series over here. TV3 managed to secure the rights to show it in Ireland, and have said it will be part of their Sunday night schedule. I checked the listings and it's not in there this week. In the UK it will be shown by Channel 5, but apparently not until September. If you have satellite you can still watch episodes of the original series on CBS Drama.

Let us know what you think of it after you watch it Capt Redneck.

Hoss, I'm surprised it wasn't available because I figured there would be a big demand for it because, as I recall, it was pretty big over there when it was originally being aired.

My wife is just as excited about Dallas as I am. It's nice that we both like it because we don't have a lot of TV shows that we both like. She's not even a big Dukes fan. Oh well, that's pretty much her only fault. It's a big one though but it didn't stop me from marrying her.

Hoss, I'm surprised it wasn't available because I figured there would be a big demand for it because, as I recall, it was pretty big over there when it was originally being aired.

I'm surprised too, because nowadays it's likely to be available online almost immediately, even if the sources aren't always official. I think it will be shown pretty soon in Ireland, but Channel 5 in the UK have only just started a new season of 'Big Brother', so that will probably go on all summer.

Dallas certainly was popular over here. Although Dallas and Dukes were both originally shown on BBC1 in the UK, they were shown on different nights. Even years later you could still see references in other shows. Here's Irish comic/actor Pat Shortt in the first episode of the great British/Irish comedy 'Father Ted'. This originally aired 15 years after Dallas season 3 cliffhanger.

IShotJR.jpg

There was also a British show in 2007 called 'Bring Back... Dallas'. Presenter Justin Lee Collins flew to the USA to try to organize a reunion of the original cast members. He also did similar shows for 'Star Wars', 'Star Trek', 'Fame' and 'The A-Team'.

• 3 weeks later...
JR idol!! (but very bad).

This new Dallas is pretty interesting. Bobby tried to sell SouthFork Ranch but JR stopped him. Now I really hate to be on JRs side but I sure didn't want to see the ranch get sold. Dallas wouldn't be the same without it....so I've become a JR fan for a little while.

Dallas without SouthFork would be like the Dukes without their farm....like that time they almost moved to Hatchapee....perish the thought.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't think they could pull it off but the new Dallas exceeded all my expectations. I'm only sorry it's over for now. I don't think the new episodes come out for months....hmm.....I think my wife heard it was January or something.

They sure had me fooled with Rebecca. I never would have guessed who her father was.

It looks like TNT have ordered a second season consisting of 15 episodes of the show to air from January 2013 onward.

Would you believe that I only saw the first trailer for the UK showing this week? The UK, Ireland and several other European countries have to wait until early September to see the new episodes.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks like JR Ewing will die on March 4th. If he doesn't die on that day it will be the episode that will lead to his eventual death. Tonight (Monday Feb 25) may have been the last time we saw an original scene with him in it.

Judging by the scenes they showed for the upcoming episode they looked like a review of past scenes and not anything new.

In a way this is also the end of an era for The Dukes of Hazzard since the shows were linked backed to back for all seven years of original Dukes episodes. Back then you could hardly talk about one show without the other coming up in the conversation....and since there were only three channels the shows just seemed bigger and more epic than the watered down television of today.

I'll miss JR. He certainly was a scoundrel but so was Boss Hogg and I miss him too. It's times like this that I think of my own mortality and the mortality of all of us. I suppose the one thing that matters most of all is our relationship with God.