Howdy from the UK!

Cooperman

Hello Dukes people!

I'm Steve from Cambridge, England and I'm a long-time fan of the show.

I began watching the Dukes when it first aired on British TV in '79 when I was the grand age of 12, so I'll let you work out how old I am!

I've been reading as many posts as I can since I joined a few days ago. I love HossC's grab-by-grab analysis of the WB Hazzard set. Amazing stuff! I love to look for goofs in the show - my favourite is the open driver's door on the General in the closing credits - and after all these years Ive only just spotted that one!

Late '60's Chargers are difficult to find over here, not impossible but I always thought they were well out of reach financially for me. It wasn't until 4 years ago that I finally decided enough was enough and I imported a part-restored '68 Charger in Hemi Orange with a 440 and not much else (!) from West Virginia.

I've been working on it ever since and now it's finally on the road and making me and my son very happy! I built my own Georgia-style pushbar; not show accurate but I think it fits the contours of the car well. I've fitted an AMD tail-panel along with the '69 grille, and the side markers will be removed over the next winter. The interior is black, but I own a garage so a tan interior would never work for me! The wheels are 8.5x15s out back, the fronts are 7x15s and I was told they had been used in the '05 Dukes movie, but I have nothing to substantiate this. I've upgraded the brakes and suspension so it stops and handles, and I run it a little lower than it was in the show.

I guess it's my interpretation of a General Lee. I'll post some pics as soon as I'm allowed to do so.

Thanks, and I look forward to talking with all of you! Yeeee-Hawww! 8-)

Hi Steve, welcome aboard. I'm glad you're enjoying the Hazzard Square thread. I'm nearly the same age as you, so I was wondering: does your screen name have anything to do with the Russ Abbot character from his '80s TV show, or is it just based on your surname?

Like MaryAnne, I look forward to seeing the pictures of your Charger.

Hi Steve, welcome aboard. I'm glad you're enjoying the Hazzard Square thread. I'm nearly the same age as you, so I was wondering: does your screen name have anything to do with the Russ Abbot character from his '80s TV show, or is it just based on your surname?

Like MaryAnne, I look forward to seeing the pictures of your Charger.

Thanks Hoss (and MaryAnn!)

Hoss, I truly wish the information in the Square thread was available in a book format. Your dedication and level of accuracy is astounding to this Dukes fan. I think you need to consider publishing it before someone else does!

Ahh, the screen name... I remember very well the Russ Abbott 'Cooperman' character, loosely based on Tommy Cooper's act. Right now, our US cousins are saying "Wha...?" No, my surname is Cooper, and I'm so used to ''Cooper' being taken, that Cooperman is my username everywhere I go! I have to admit, I didn't even check to see if my surname was available.

As soon as I'm able, I'll post pics.

Thanks for the welcome!

Right now, our US cousins are saying "Wha...?"

Just for those not in-the-know, here's a picture I found of Russ Abbot's Cooperman:

Russ_Abbot_in_Cooperman_s_Hotel.jpg

He dressed like Superman, talked like Tommy Cooper. There's a video

- it features Bella Emberg as Blunder Woman and Les Dennis as the customer. I saw Russ Abbot once, in a show on Great Yarmouth pier somewhen around 1980, although I can't remember if he did this character.