2012 Indianapolis 500

Garrett Duke

Well it may not be NASCAR and Jeff Gordon may not be in Indy, but did sit down and watched the Indianapolis 500 today and am glad I did. Anyone else watch it? If so, what you think?

I thought it was exciting...but their late race restarts are just as crazy as they are in NASCAR.

A lot of names were familiar to me. Don't know if it was of past Indy 500 I have watched or what, but the one that I knew the most, Dario Franchitti went on to win the race. He got hit from behind in an early pit stop taht sent him into a few tires...he had to replace the nose of his car in the pits and he came out 28th after that. He was quick to make it into the top five or so. Was surprised and impressed at how fast he recovered from that. He almost was passed on the last lap but the other driver went on the white line and lost control...Dario won under yellow. All three of Dario's Indy 500's were won under yellow.

Dario Franchitti spent a year in NASCAR a few years ago but never really did much and dropped out of NASCAR after a season or two. I assume it was because he didn't do much and probably ran out of contract with either his car or sponsors. :( But am glad to see him doing well in Indy and to see him get the win.

Also NASCAR connection...his car and second place finisher Scott Dixon (I think...not so good with their names as I am in NASCAR...but if I sat down and watched them more than once a year, I bet I could change that...) both cars are owned by Chip Ganassi who co-owns Juan Pablo Montoya's and Jamie McMurray's car. (Co owns their cars with Dale Jr's step mom Teresa Earnhardt).

It was 90 degrees in Indianapolis...and 130 on the track. One of the drivers called in and said his boot was melting on the brake petal. Too hot for me. Hopefully it isn't too hot in Charlotte in another hour and a half when the Coca-Cola starts up for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

Marco Andretti was doing well and did lead a lot of laps but lost control of his car. There was one big accident when a car lost control and another driver ran into him. So glad they were both OK.

Different watching a race without having a prominient driver to go for such as I do with Jeff Gordon. But have to admit, once I saw Dario in there, I was going for him and was disappointed when he had the trouble on pits...and excited when he won.

Now onto the Coca-Cola 600 race in another hour and a half...GO JEFF GORDON GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: