General Lee's used in the movie...

coy&vancefan

Overall, I've heard that 26 cars were used. About half of the cars were 1968 models, half were 1969 models, with one or two 1970 thrown in. From what I understand, most of the cars were small blocks. However, Mopar Performance did supply the builders with (1) 529 HEMI prototype engine to palce in one of the cars. You should see this engine shown a few times throughout the new movie. One original Lee retained from the original series owned by Warner Bros., was reconditioned and used in the new movie. The other cars were all rounded up and purchased from all over the country.

GADuke01

I worked on teh set as an extra for a couple of weeks and asked about purchasing one of the generals. The guys basiclly told me hell no. They said they would be holding on to the cars for a year to see if there might be a sequal and if they did sell them then the starting price would be over 50, 000 dollars b\c they refurbished a lot of the cars.

OK, I checked with the stunts and special effects guys and they said NO to buying any of the cars used. I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but they're all getting crushed. Even the wheels, the wood grained steering wheels. the seats...everything. They have to do this in order to avoid future lawsuits. Warner Brothers is coverirng their a@@. If the public got ahold of one of these wrecked cars, rebuilt it and wrecked it again, they could sue WB for selling a faulty car. Don't ask me. If you could see the pics I have of the wrecked GL's, there is no rebuilding them. I know a handful of them are going Hollywood. Mostly the ones used on the Go-Car. Just the shell and interiors. No rolling stock/engines. Those will be put in storage for the (shhhh) sequel. The one Hemi car is WB property. It'll be shown around the country for promos, with the new Duke boys driving it. As far as purchasing more cars just in case of a part II, they will be bought from people's back yards again. At an extremely hefty charge. I won't say how much WB bought their cars for, big brother is watching.

Talking to those guys, they said after the movie, General Lee's will pop up everywhere. Most will say their cars were used in the movie. But you will know the truth. Don't call 'em a liar, just pat them on the backs for having an awesome ride. Then, IF a part II is made, then those fresh General Lee's will be purchased by WB. Smart thinking, huh? No searching backyards.