Opinions Needed...

CDoherty95

Hey y'all :)

One of my friends recently asked me to go with her to her debs (the Irish equivalent of a prom). We're really close and have both agreeded not to become boyfriend and girlfriend incase we end up fighting and falling out.

Anyway my problem is that I won't be 18 when the debs is on. We both thought that the age wouldnt matter, but now the parents association and venue staff are saying that all people under 18 must be out of the venue by midnight. Apparently I'm going to be one of the only if not the only 17 year old there (most will be eighteen and a half, some even nineteen).

We first started jokingly saying that I should get a fake id of some kind, but now it's become more serious because of the curfew. I've no issue with not being able to buy or consume alcohol (I do drink occasionally but can still have fun without getting drunk) so I'd only be using the id to stay after the curfew.

The least illegal document I could use is a student card, which is basically used for getting discounts in shops and on public transport. I haven't got one at the moment, and if I was to get a forged one it would only be for this occasion.

However I'm still not sure what to do. My friends are saying I should, my gut feeling is indecisive and I can't ask my parents because they'll flip and might not let me go to the debs (they're a little weary as it is because as far as they know I don't drink).

I was wondering if I could get y'alls opinions on this.

This sounds like an odd thing for someone in Ireland to be worrying about - must be because you're in a city. Are they really going to be checking IDs? Maybe the venue has had trouble before, or there's an insurance issue.

According to the law it's ok for children aged between 15-17 years to remain on the premises after 9pm (10pm May to September) where they are attending a private function at which a substantial meal is served. You can check it out on www.citizensinformation.ie. Do you get a meal? There wasn't anything equivalent to the debs or a prom in the UK - probably just as well because I went to an all boys school :). Maybe you could get an over 18 friend to enquire about the venue's policy without mentioning your name.

A few years ago I saw a group waiting for the bus that was taking them to their debs. Most of the girls looked quite grown-up in posh dresses (a few had strange fashion ideas), whereas most of the boys looked like fourteen-year-olds who'd been made to have a bath and put a suit on. It's amazing how much the age gap shows at these events.

If it is something that would get you in trouble if found out about, as it sounds like it would, I wouldn't do it. Is this event worth getting in trouble for? Plus you say now that you would use it for this one time, but I can see how it would make it easier for future events or other things you may use the fake ID for in the future.

Just my two cents worth. . .

Good answer Meadowmufn.

Here's something else I'd like to add.

Since you're a Dukes of Hazzard fan that's proof that your parents have done something right in raising you. In return for everything they've done right, it would be nice if you would return the favor and make decisions that would make them proud.

Or here's another way of looking at it. Ask yourself what Uncle Jesse Duke would say if you asked him advice. Like MM said, you know the answer to that.

By the way, thanks for respecting the opinions of folks here enough to ask.

CD, does being able to stay later really matter all that much to you and your friend? If she's OK with having to leave with you at the curfew, there's no need for a fake ID.

Coming from a background of mixed moral experience myself, lemme tell you this. Before you bend or break any rule of any kind...decide if it's really worth it. Even if you're willing to get a fake ID, so you and your friend can have a nice time and not have to leave early...there's always a risk that somebody could rat you out. If you're caught, instead of having a nice memory together, you'll have embarrasment at the least.

Once you earn a reputation of being deceitful, even if it's a modest infraction, it's very, very, hard to correct that opinion.

Doing dishonest things, for a "good" reason, seldom brings good results.

That said, I won't judge either way. I just encourage you to listen to the better side of yourself. I'm willing to bet that your friend would rather you be honest. So would I. You'll have moral tests throughout your life, and by making the right decisions now, you'll be more inclined to keep making the right decisions all the way. Life turns out better when you do.

Thanks for sharing this with us and letting us chime in.

Coming from a background of mixed moral experience myself,

ROFL

Just when I thought I'd heard everything, leave it to Brian to show me that I haven't. This is the first time I'd ever heard anyone describe themselves like this. It's funny Brian but I sure hope you don't put in on a job application when they ask about your "background".

ROFL

Just when I thought I'd heard everything, leave it to Brian to show me that I haven't. This is the first time I'd ever heard anyone describe themselves like this. It's funny Brian but I sure hope you don't put in on a job application when they ask about your "background".

Needless to say, there's some things I keep off my resume'. Don't worry though, nothing really that bad. I was pretty much in the wrong crowd in my younger years.

Anyhow, we never did find out what CD decided to do! Dude, fill us in, eh?

I'm still looking for someone who can make a good fake id for me. I won't go into specifics but my friend knows someone who can do very realistic fake ids, so hopefully it will work out. I need it only to get into the debs, I'm not going to be using it to buy drink or cigarettes after the debs ( I don't smoke anyway, I can't stand the smell of smoke).

Thanks for answering, I was curious as to what you'd decided. No judgment here or anything.

Because I had a fake ID once too, in my teens. Seldom had to use it though because I looked older for my age. I used it to get into (censored) and wasn't using it to buy beer for other underage people or anything like that.

Just make sure this thing is decent quality before you fork over money for it - have a legit ID from a buddy with you, so you can compare. Anything can look good by itself.

I was talking to my friend Jen yesterday ( the girl I'm going to the debs with) about trying to find someone to do a good fake id, and she suggested I try and borrow our friend Ian's id. He's still 17 now, but will be 18 by October ( when the debs is on). Apparently we look quite similar although I can't see the resemblance. Ian is on the left and I'm on the right. Can anyone see the resemblance?

c8e7c6a7.jpg

And I suppose y'all deserve to see a picture of me and Jen. This was taken last year in our dressing room.

44896450.jpg

Nice pics! You might get away with using Ian's ID, if you get your hair cut to look close to what he has on his ID. And, if each of you check in at different points, so the door person doesn't see the same name twice.

Your hair looks lighter than your friend's, and I don't know how sophisticated these ID cards are. If they list hair and eye color, and yours is different than Ian's, the best you can do is dye your hair darker and make only brief eye contact with the person checking ID's. Avoiding eye contact all together too suspicious.

To pull that off, it helps to pretend you're involved in a very animated conversation with the people going in ahead and behind you. If you're in the middle of a group of "legit" people and you're all chattering and laughing, odds are you'll be swept inside without a problem.

But if everybody's quiet and tense going in and holding their breath to see if you "pass", that nervous tension can tip off the ID checker.

Keep in mind that people with fake or borrowed ID's have tried to get into these things since the dawn of time. Whether or not you get away with it also depends on the caliber and alertness of the ID checker. Before you pick a line to get in (hopefully there's more than one) watch the checkers to see who seems to be examining things real close and who seems to be just giving the ID's a glance and keeping the lines moving.

Let us know how it goes! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

I don't think you should be giving someone advice on how to get away with a fake ID Brian but we've disagreed before just like all friends do and I'm sure this won't affect our friendship. It's always good for folks to hear both sides of the story and (as a play it by the rules guy) my advice is not to make a fake ID for any reason unless your life depends on it.

Also, remember that everything you put on a forum is pretty much public information. It's not a good idea to say that you're going to do something wrong then post your picture. Things in cyber space can come back to haunt you, especially if you ever want to get a job with a security clearance.

Thanks Brian! Ian isn't going to the debs so we wouldn't have the problem of sharing an id. I've still got a few months to think about this and plan it out, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Roger, I know what you mean (about the pictures) but I'm going to delete th off my photobucket so they won't show up in the post.

So Brian, since your pretty well versed in the mechanics of fake IDs, you gonna get yourself a fake AARP card so you can get the senior citizen's discount at Denny's? ;)

:-o

Ya know, I was all set to give you a smack in the head, but you may be on to something there. I looked up the AARP discount at Denny's and it's like 20%! Might just be worth it.

Of course, it doesn't surprise me that you know all about senior discounts, given how many times you've turned 21. :wink:

Back to the discounts...oh, lookit! Dunkin' Donuts gives AARP members a free donut with any large or extra large coffee purchase. I'll go ahead and make you a fake AARP card too, 'cause I know you want in on that one.

:-o

Ya know, I was all set to give you a smack in the head, but you may be on to something there. I looked up the AARP discount at Denny's and it's like 20%! Might just be worth it.

Of course, it doesn't surprise me that you know all about senior discounts, given how many times you've turned 21. :wink:

Back to the discounts...oh, lookit! Dunkin' Donuts gives AARP members a free donut with any large or extra large coffee purchase. I'll go ahead and make you a fake AARP card too, 'cause I know you want in on that one.

Now Brian, you know that would be considered a form of fraud and---

Wait. Did you say a free donut with a large coffee purchase? Well sonofagun...

Let me think on that one. Meantime, you and I both have turned 21 multiple times there Mr. Kettle. ;)

LOL The year before I turned 50 I started getting things in the mail from AARP. At first I thought it was a mistake or some prankster had turned my name into them as a joke but then I found out that they do that to everybody after they turn 49.

AARP's supposed to be a good organization but they ruined my life. Before they started sending me stuff that reminded me I'm getting old I felt like I was young. I'd sue them for emotional suffering for depressing me but every time I get out of my rocking chair to call my lawyer I trip over my false teeth and kick them across the room. By the time I find my glasses to locate my teeth I can't remember what I got out of my rocking chair for.

LOL The year before I turned 50 I started getting things in the mail from AARP. At first I thought it was a mistake or some prankster had turned my name into them as a joke but then I found out that they do that to everybody after they turn 49.

AARP's supposed to be a good organization but they ruined my life. Before they started sending me stuff that reminded me I'm getting old I felt like I was young. I'd sue them for emotional suffering for depressing me but every time I get out of my rocking chair to call my lawyer I trip over my false teeth and kick them across the room. By the time I find my glasses to locate my teeth I can't remember what I got out of my rocking chair for.

That's a bummer, dude, but you still get 20% off at Denny's! Don't forget your teeth. ;)

I suppose the immoral of the story here, is that we all become the age we want to be, sooner or later. If only we could make those special years last a little longer. I remember that it took forever to be 18, and just when I was really starting to enjoy it, I turned around and found out I was 30. And so it goes.

And if I could do it all over again, yes I'd do some things differently. Absolutely. But I'd probably make the fun mistakes all over again. :D

I was talking to my friend Jen yesterday ( the girl I'm going to the debs with) about trying to find someone to do a good fake id, and she suggested I try and borrow our friend Ian's id. He's still 17 now, but will be 18 by October ( when the debs is on). Apparently we look quite similar although I can't see the resemblance. Ian is on the left and I'm on the right. Can anyone see the resemblance?

c8e7c6a7.jpg

And I suppose y'all deserve to see a picture of me and Jen. This was taken last year in our dressing room.

44896450.jpg

I'm not going to repeat several great comments by others in this thread.

RBBM (respectfully bolded by me) - What if the friend was injured. Taken to the hospital and couldn't be identified due to no id?

Maybe that is something you have already considered. Whether you stay until the official ending, I wish you & your friend to have a great time!

What if the friend was injured. Taken to the hospital and couldn't be identified due to no id?

Daney, I think CDoherty's away for a couple of days, so let me put your mind at rest. Unlike some parts of mainland Europe, there are no compulsory or voluntary ID cards for the general population of either the UK or Ireland. What Ireland does have is a voluntary system called the "National Age Card Scheme" which is a proof of age card and not an identity card. Legal drinking age is 18, so most people with these cards are in their late teens or early 20s. They cost €10 - more info here. For the rest of the population there are alternative forms of identification. In Ireland you are legally required to carry your driver's license if you're driving (not the case in the UK). There is also a higher proportion of the country that holds a passport: about 70% in Ireland (similar in the UK), compared to 35% in the US. CD's friend may also have a student card, so if the worst happens, there should still be ways to identify him.

LOL The year before I turned 50 I started getting things in the mail from AARP.

I'm still a tad more than a decade from 49 and I was getting stuff from AARP 10 years ago. LOL!

The biggest problem I have with them is they keep circulating that article about Robert Culp's death. He's been dead two years already...

• 3 months later...

I'm sure some of y'all have been wondering what I was going to eventually do.

Well I spoke to my friend, and she said that the place we're going to is fairly lax when it comes to security and ids. This makes sense, as 90% of people going are already 18. I'm going to bring my drivers licence just in case, as it's the only form of id I have (besides my passport which I'd lose :-P ). In a way I'm glad I'm not getting a fake id made, because I would probably look guilty and get caught out.

If I get refused, well I haven't really planned that far ahead yet, but I'm sure I'll come up with some sort of plan.

I'm going tuxedo shopping tomorrow, which should be an experience as I only ever go clothes shopping for jeans,tshirts and hoodies.

The debs is on the 3rd of October, which is a Wednesday. The bus back to the school isn't until 9 on Thursday morning, so hopefully I'll be able to make it into school...not!! Haha!