Is Where YOU Live Anything Like Hazzard County?

426GeneralLee

I know where I live it is....all kinds of convinient back roads to drive off on to with lots of fun shortcuts and dips and humps to jump over. I may not have ramped very high because my little 82 Corolla would never handle it, but I have had him flyin a few times. Plus there's always someone around to have a race with and around here a lot of people ever talk like the country boys do. With a lot of "improper" english. I even have my own CB...although, it's not in my car....yet...

We have our own speed traps and Rosco clones staking them out here. The highway into town has four signs less than a mile apart Reduced Speed 55, Speed Limit 55, Reduced Speed 50, Speed Limit 50, and then a stop light. The cops also have end-of-the-month quotas they have to meet by catching out-of-county drivers. There's also a 30 mph zone in town that the cops are also staking out.

Oh golly! Where I grew up reminded me soooooo much like Hazzard. The village I use to live in when I was a kid, had no real fire station. Just volunteers. The volunteers pretty much not only knew how to drive fire trucks but they drove tractors too. On Sundays they would have someone sit up there to listen for a call and sound the siren, while the rest were in church. Sometimes you'd be sitting in church and all of the sudden you see five or six guys stand up and quickly rush out of the church. There was a tiny grocer and a small hardware store on the main road that runs through town, called 'Main Street'. My Grandfather grew up there, my father grew up there, then I grew up there. The elementary school had only one class of each grade. There was only one law officer in the area, he was a deputy sheriff and oddly enough, everyone calls him by his nickname 'Smokey'. Call Smokey! He'll take care of it! My brother use to up railroad tracks with his truck, when he was in high school. Ah... I could go on and on. I loved growing up were I did. Brian's right we watch the show because it reminds us of home. It gives us a feeling of that old hometown values we had when we were younger. It's a sense of community that we all love. Home is where your heart is.

There's little bit of hazzard county every where. For me 2 1/2 hours away. We had one cop that would pull anyone over. Even if you where walking on the sidewalks. We had volunteer fire department that just about very one's father worked for. We had the best back roads great for jumping cars. It was the best place for a kid to grow up at. The only sad part about my Hazzard County. Is over year ago we lost our Jesse. He was my grandfather. He do anything for any one even someone he didn't know. He made very one feel like they belong. He was someone you would want to know and made sure he taught us kids family values.

Jessi Duke :cry:

Well, there's not much in my neck of the woods that remind me of Hazzard. I know that if I drive not too far out, I could find some country roads that I don't know about to goof around on. We even have an Indian Reservation near me (Tuscaroran Tribe) that probably has some dirt roads to goof around on. (Personally, being of Europen decent, I wouldn't want to piss the Natives off. I don't know what they'll do to a white boy that they don't know!!! :o )

Then, of course, there's a small tavern not far at all from me that has been there since prohibition. It used to be a speakeasy. So, there was probably moonshine flowin' there at one point. Even though it's a small tavern with a grove out back (had some great parties out there, but that's besides the point. hehe :D ), it is still the closest thing to the Boar's Nest for me. I've gotten tons and tons of great free advice from the old timers in there.

Well, Kensington is just like Hazzard, a small town. The mayor (or county commisioner) is just like Boss Hogg, mean and corrupt. The police chief (or sheriff) is like Rosco, out to get anyone, he would stop anyone for a dumb reason (he hasn't caught me yet because I follow the road rules). The former police chief was more like Enos or Cletus, couldn't even catch a cold. We also have a few mechanics like Cooter, including my dad. I'm not gonna try jumping over creeks or roadblocks with my Z-24, it couldn't take it because it's a 15 year old car.

I had to laugh when I saw this question!

The county I live in is known as the "Free State of --------- ". It is not even part of our State! I swear when I went to the Correctional Acdemy they would say this applies to everyone but -----------.

I hadn't worked as a Correctional Officer long when one of the Circuit Judges and the Sheriff got into it over two reserved parking spaces. They were reserved for two people that no longer worked for the County. The Sheriff wanted a handicap ramp added to make the Sheriff's Dept. accessible. The Circuit Judge in Court ordered them not to use the spots and to stop work (until he gave peremission or checked it out or something to that effect). In the meantime they figured a way to build a ramp without taking the spots and began work. The Judge came by to look the spots over during lunch and they were working on it. He sent our Sheriff and two County Commissioners to jail for contempt! Image the Duke in me when I got to put the Sheriff (who signs my payday) behind bars!

There are plenty of dirt and curvy roads here and I know where an operating still or two still exists here. We have several volunteer fire departments here in the county which I volunteer for one of them. My first Fire Chief reminded me of Uncle Jesse. If you live here and don't know this man you are a hermit. Here it is several City police that have the 'speed traps'. -- Last night they did DUI patrols. This morning we had 6 that had been put in jail - 3 by Cities 3 by State Police. Our City's Chief of police has a nickname too -- Big show. Kinda reminds you of Big Ed Little but has a heart of Gold. This week one of the towns Chiefs left his keys in the cruiser and it was taken to another County to a department store!

Yes there is a real Hazzard County. HAZARD (one Z) in Kentucky. My father went there in like the 50's it was a dry (no alcoholic drinks) county. Several of the workers from here went there to teach them how to run a preparation plant (that cleans coal). The guys my father included took 2 suit cases -- one with clothes the other with alcohol!!! Which was 'bootlegging' since they took it across State lines!

I too could go on and on about this County. I don't think there is anoter County to equal it except Hazzard!!!!

Dixie

yes, the police officer really reminds me of our local small town cops.

you always knew where the cops where at, usually sleeping in the park or down by the dam., and knew when they switch shifts.

i grew up in a small town, that never had stop lights,just maybe one or two stop signs, if the local teens didn't steal them or used them for bullet practice.

Everyone knew eachother & what you're up to, or planning on doing, before you did.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

My small town has dirt roads... never jumped on one but I did off-road down a steep hillside once (to avoid an accident by some out-of-town nut behind me who was taking a turn too fast), and in truth I was able to do it because of watching the Dukes. So I have to say thanks to the Dukes! for more than my just loving the show. Watching Bo, Luke, and Daisy so much literally probably saved my own and my sister's lives since the hillside sloped down to the truck lane of a major freeway and *no one* else had ever taught me just how to turn the wheels to keep control of the car, drive down the hill without crashing or flipping over, and turn in a controlled manner before being struck by an eighteen-wheeler. I actually just drove right out of that one...

Some of our buildings look similar... some don't. Most are probably about that age though. We have just one two-lane highway (55 MPH limit) into town, and we *do* have cops with speed traps, only in our case it's the highway patrol. On Thursdays you always have to be real careful because they're *everywhere* trying to make their weekly quota, even in town where they're not supposed to be. Our own Sheriff's dept is nice though.

Right in my 10 mile radius of where I live, our "Sherriff Roscoe" is our own "Sgt. Baker." I believe he's with the Town of Amherst police dept., not a State Trooper or Sherriff. I'll let y'all know once he has a chance to pull me over for something small and stupid. Everyone talks about him around here.