2012 Sprint Cup Points

Garrett Duke

This is where I will post the point position after every race...or later on in the week. Points aren't made official until Monday after the officials review everything.

Here is the top ten in points after yesterday's Phoenix race:

1. Denny Hamlin

2 Greg Biffle

3. Kevin Harvick

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Dale Earnhardt Jr

6. Martin Truex Jr

7. Mark Martin

8. Joey Lagano

9. Kyle Busch

10. Carl Edwards

Here are the official top ten in points after the Las Vegas race on Sunday:

1. Greg Biffle

2. Kevin Harvick

3. Denny Hamlin

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr

5. Matt Kenseth

6. Carl Edwards

7. Tony Stewart

8. Martin Truex Jr

9. Joey Lagano

10. Mark Martin

After the horrible year Greg Biffle had last year...he may not be a Hendrick driver...but am glad to see him finding success early on this year. If not one of my Hendrick boys or Carl Edwards...am glad to see "the Biff" up there. :)

• 1 month later...

Well I have been told that I have been slacking in my NASCAR duties on HNet and I greatly apologize. Coming to this thread only proves that I have slacked a tiny bit. HA. Guess it is kinda sad for me to look at the points to see Jeff Gordon all the way down to the seventeenth spot as of now. Though he is getting ever so closer to the top twelve...if anyone can do it, it is Big Daddy himself. :D

OK enough with my excuses...I apologize for slacking on this thread and will try to do more better at posting the points. NO MATTER where my drivers are. HA HA.

Here is the top ten in points after the Texas race:

1. Greg Biffle

2. Matt Kenseth

3. Dale Earnhardt Jr (Dale and Matt are tied pointwise, but gets the edge since he has a win and Dale doesn't...though the way ol' Dale's been racing this season, that win is soon to come!)

4. Martin Truex Jr.

5. Kevin Harvick

6. Denny Hamlin

7. Tony Stewart (-4 positions due to the race yesterday)

8. Jimmie Johnson

9. Ryan Newman

We are onto Kansas next Sunday afternoon on FOX.

10. Clint Bowyer

Well y'all hold on to your seats because here it is Monday and I am here to post the OFFICIAL standings after the Kansas race. (Roger, you no longer can call me a slacker in other words. :-P)

Here is the top ten in driver points:

1. Greg Biffle

2. Martin Truex Jr

3. Matt Kenseth

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr

5. Denny Hamlin

6. Kevin Harvick

7. Jimmie Johnson

8. Tony Stewart

9. Carl Edwards

10. Ryan Newman

And well I know how much y'all like Jeff Gordon (after all he's only the best on the track!) :lol:... well OK perhaps that is of my opinion and as far as I know, I'm the only Jeff Gordon fan on this great board. But in case y'all are interested Jeff Gordon now resides in the 18th spot and -112 points behind Greg Biffle. Yep. This 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup season is looking pretty dismal for this 24 fan...all the same, refuse to give up hope. The only good thing I can think of is...it can only get better from here. Right?

We are onto Richmond next Saturday night for some night racing...and then a week after that they will be racing at Talledega for my birthday. Perhaps Big Daddy will give me a win for my birthday. *Sigh* I can only hope. He'll have to avoid the 'big one' in order to do so since Talledega is known to have lot of BIG wrecks...Richmond is next Saturday night. Love night racing!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Figured it was about time I updated this page...

1. Dale Earnhardt Jr

2. Matt Kenseth (-5 points)

3. Greg Biffle

4. Jimmie Johnson

5. Martin Truex Jr

6. Tony Stewart

7. Brad Keselowski

8. Denny Hamlin

9. Kevin Harvick

10. Clint Bowyer

As of right now the two wild card spots for the chase are:

11. Kasey Kahne

12. Jeff Gordon

• 2 months later...

Here is the official top twelve points after the Talledega race:

1. Brad Keselowski

2. Jimmie Johnson (-14)

3. Denny Hamlin

4. Kasey Kahne

5. Clint Bowyer

6. Jeff Gordon

7. Tony Stewart

8. Martin Truex Jr

9. Greg Biffle

10. Kevin Harvick

11. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

12. Matt Kenseth

Well Talledega mixed up the Chase field a little bit, but not as much as I had thought it would. With Jeff Gordon in sixth place instead of eleventh, he is 42 points behind the leader...up six points than last week. Though have to admit it sounds better saying he is sixth in points than eleventh...my opinion of course...for what little that amounts to. :)

As of right now (October 8th) there is six races left of the 2012 season...or should I say, six more weeks before my NASCAR withdrawl officially starts. :( Am sure the break is good for the drivers and their families, but personally, wish they would go back to how it was when Richard Petty raced...pretty much year round...and more than one race a week. Ah well, I guess I will enjoy the rest of the 2012 season while it is here and worry about the three month NASCAR drought when it comes...:lol:

I heard a commentator say that the next six tracks heavily favor Jimmie Johnson when you look at past performances. I'm not sure but I think it was someone on ESPN. I know it wasn't Brad Dougherty....LOL

Whatcha think Garrett? JJ got it wrapped up?

Don't answer that. I know you think JG's taking it all. That's okay I'm still hoping for a David Ragen win. Come on buddy...I know you're not in the running for the Chase but please....just one win. Is that too much to ask for?

Go ahead and say it Garrett....yes it is.

I heard a commentator say that the next six tracks heavily favor Jimmie Johnson when you look at past performances. I'm not sure but I think it was someone on ESPN. I know it wasn't Brad Dougherty....LOL

Whatcha think Garrett? JJ got it wrapped up?

Don't answer that. I know you think JG's taking it all. That's okay I'm still hoping for a David Ragen win. Come on buddy...I know you're not in the running for the Chase but please....just one win. Is that too much to ask for?

Go ahead and say it Garrett....yes it is.

Well Roger, I am not ranking David Ragen out completely, but if he were to win, Talledega woulda been his best bet. Restrictor plate racing is anyone's race to win...just look at Trevor Bayne winning his first restrictor plate race last year at Daytona 500. 'Dega and Daytona the track is in control and it all depends on who can stay out of the big accidents to hang on to the end of the race - where as the other races the drivers' and the crew are more in control. Meaning talent (not saying David isn't talented, just doesn't have the experience that JG and JJ have) as well as the money they put into the car comes more into play. David Ragen is driving for an underfunded race team meaning he don't have the high price equipment JG and JJ have driving for Rick Hendrick who is the biggest team in NASCAR has. Ragen had that with Jack Rousch last year before they dropped his contract, he didn't do too much for Rousch which was why they dropped David, but always felt that he should have given David more time to learn and to gain the experience...but once again, he didn't ask me. Sorry Roger, know that is not what you wanted to hear about Davide Ragen.

As for the rest of the tracks and Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon. Know you told me not to answer your question, but I will anyway. ;)

I would love to say Jeff Gordon has it wrapped up and that he can win his fifth championship this year. I am definately not giving up hope on Jeff Gordon or on the 24 team...if anyone can do it, it would be them. But it is looking very unlikely. Right now he is sixth in points (position wise) but still sits forty-two points behind Brad Keselowski who is in first place at the moment. Just as Ragen's chance at a win at Talledega, Gordon's best chance to gain in points was at Talledega. He finished second while other chase contenders did get wrapped in the wreck like JJ and Jr (Jr lost four position spots thanks to 'Dega...while Gordon gained four position spots thanks to 'Dega), but only gained six points on Keselowski who finished fourth or something like that. Know they are saying that the top three in points (Keselowski, Johnson, Hamlin) are in the best spots for the championship right now.

As I said, I back Gordon and his team a hundred percent and refuse to give up hope just as he is. It is still possible, he just needs a couple of wins and the top five guys to have some bad races. So far Gordon has finished 35th, third, second, and third in the chase...it is that 35th finish spot at the Chase opener at Chicagoland (thanks to a broken throttle that stole a fifth place finish if not better in that race) that is haunting him right now.

As for Jimmie Johnson, it may as well as be his to win...or to lose either way you look at it. They are racing at Charolette this Saturday which was or is known as Jimmie's house thanks to how good he runs there. The other tracks on that follow, do think Jimmie is good at...only tracks he isn't too good at is the restrictor plate races where he failed to finish or do well at any this year. Or Bristol or road races...though he finally got a win at Bristol and at a road race last year.

And yeah, Brad Daughtery is too negative to say something that positive about JJ...my opinion. Am tired of hearing him say week after week that Gordon is done with...

Anyway, yeah it may be JJ's championship again this year...though JG has a few tracks he is good at coming up with as well. Refuse to give up hope - but if JG doesn't get it, I want it to go to JJ or perhaps Kasey Kahne who is fourth in points right now. Would love to see JG to finish in the top five in points at least - with his season and how it had gone thus far, that would almost feel like a win.

Great questions Roger...hope your Ragen will get another top ten Saturday night for you. Or perhaps a win....:wink:

Thanks for your analysis Garrett. You sure know your NASCAR.

I hope Jeff Gordon gets back in it so the rest of the Chase is a little more exciting for you. He only needs one race to turn things around. (of course once you turn things around you have to keep them going in the right direction).

At least your NASCAR season is still going on. David Ragen was out of it a long time ago. Now I have to wait several months for the real excitement to begin.....me beating you in fantasy NASCAR.

I'm going to be facing the difficult decision of dumping DR as my fave. In every other sport I've been loyal to the same (Pittsburgh) teams my whole life but NASCAR is a little more complicated. It would be easy if Cale Yarborough was still racing...LOL

Thanks for your analysis Garrett. You sure know your NASCAR.

I hope Jeff Gordon gets back in it so the rest of the Chase is a little more exciting for you. He only needs one race to turn things around. (of course once you turn things around you have to keep them going in the right direction).

At least your NASCAR season is still going on. David Ragen was out of it a long time ago. Now I have to wait several months for the real excitement to begin.....me beating you in fantasy NASCAR.

I'm going to be facing the difficult decision of dumping DR as my fave. In every other sport I've been loyal to the same (Pittsburgh) teams my whole life but NASCAR is a little more complicated. It would be easy if Cale Yarborough was still racing...LOL

You are welcome...I enjoyed writing that. I may not know much of anything else, but I do know a thing or two when it comes to NASCAR. ;)

Thanks Roger. That is a great way to look at it...one race will turn it around to him and he can prove Brad Daughtery wrong...again. But yeah, he'll need to keep it going right from then on out - but it can happen.

Ah DR may be out of it, but he is still out there giving it all he has and they will be starting all over in February. Can't wait to play fantasy NASCAR too...even if it did entitle me getting beat by you. :) I understand where you are coming from...in my other fantasy sports I have been able to support my Chicago teams, but NASCAR, well I can only chose Jeff Gordon to start nine times out of 36 races...or any other driver. I think I have three or four more times for both JJ and JG on my teams ... while Jr and Kasey Kahne I have only one more turn left to use them. (They are in the B categories and in the B category you start two drivers. A category where JJ and JG are in you only chose one driver to start per race.) That is the hard part, but it also gives me other drivers to keep an eye on throughout the race - of course if it comes down to it, I'd much rather Jeff Gordon win it all whether or not he is on my fantasy team. :-o

It would be awesome to see Cale race...like to see how he would do with the cars they have today compared to the cars he drove. Or Richard Petty.

• 1 month later...

Well sadly the 2012 NASCAR season is over...now the dreaded off season.

Here is the official point standings for the 2012 season:

1 - Brad Keselowski

2 - Clint Bowyer

3 - Jimmie Johnson

4 - Kasey Kahne

5 - Greg Biffle

6 - Denny Hamlin

7 - Matt Kenseth

8 - Kevin Harvick

9 - Tony Stewart

10 - Jeff Gordon

11 - Martin Truex Jr.

12 - Dale Earnhardt Jr.

NON CHASE DRIVERS

13 - Kyle Busch

14 - Ryan Newman

15 - Carl Edwards

16 - Paul Menard

17 - Joey Logano

18 - Marcos Ambrose

19 - Jeff Burton

20 - Jamie McMurray

21 - Aric Almirola

22 - Juan Pablo Montoya

23 - Bobby Labonte

24 - Regan Smith

25 - Kurt Busch

26 - Mark Martin

27 - Travis Kvapil

28 - David Ragan

29 - Casey Mears

30 - David Gilliland

31 - Landon Cassill

32 - A J Allmendinger

33 - Dave Blaney

34 - David Reutimann

35 - Brian Vickers

36 - David Stremme

37 - Michael McDowell

38 - J.J. Yeley

39 - Josh Wise

40 - Ken Schrader

41 - Stephen Leicht

42 - Scott Speed

43 - Michael Waltrip

96 more days until Daytona...I already can't wait!

Thanks for posting this Garrett.

I see David Ragan finished 28. That kinda surprised me since he finished in the lower 30s in so many races.

96 more days until I start beating Garrett in fantasy NASCAR!

I noticed that too Roger when I posted it and thought of you. ;) I perscribe to NASCAR Illustrated and this month's magazine has a nice article on David Ragen that made me think of you too. Seems like a nice kid.

I will let you believe that Roger...btw I finished second and fourth in the two fantasy NASCAR leagues I am in. In the second place one I was like eight points out of first place or so...did win the playoff segment of the season. :lol: Did something right at least.

I finished second and fourth in the two fantasy NASCAR leagues I am in. In the second place one I was like eight points out of first place or so...did win the playoff segment of the season. :lol: Did something right at least.

As I recall from clicking on your yahoo fantasy sports profile you're pretty good at NASCAR so maybe I should back off on my bragging a little....

NAHHH, I'm gonna crush you!

As I recall from clicking on your yahoo fantasy sports profile you're pretty good at NASCAR so maybe I should back off on my bragging a little....

NAHHH, I'm gonna crush you!

You and your friends may be crushing me in fantasy basketball...am horrible this year at basketball it seems...but no one crushes me in NASCAR. Including you...:innocent: This oughta be fun. :p