People giving up the 'net for Lent?

Brian Coltrane

Just curious...does anybody know of anyone who has given up the internet (non-work related) for Lent?

I'm wondering, because our volumes are down a little bit over the past week, here at the flagship site and also the FB page. Looks like some other Dukes pages have tapered off too.

And it's not due to a lack of Dukes news, with all the cast appearances going on and such.

What do ya'll think?

I think the folks across the pond have had a rough winter though.

We've had a very mild winter here. We left it very late last year before we turned the heating on. The last couple of weeks have seen temperatures in the high 50s or low 60s. Some parts of the UK had snow in late January, but it didn't last long. We haven't had any here.

Thanks for chiming in, ya'll. I'm gonna guess that Lent might have something to do with it, since other sites and pages seem to having a lull too, and it's pretty consistent with the timing. And the internet can become all-consuming, so I imagine there may be some wisdom to taking breaks from it.

Myself, I'd find it very difficult to give up for days on end. I'd probably crack by 72 hours.

My mistake Hoss. I saw a story on the news and thought the winter was bad over there. Maybe the story was about eastern Europe.

Brian, I know what you mean about needing a break from the computer. There's nothing I do on this contraption that I couldn't live without except HazzardNet. This month marks five years since I've been here. I hadn't used a computer before that and when my daughter told me you could find anything on the internet, the first thing I asked was "Dukes of Hazzard?"

The last two years I've gotten into other things (like fantasy sports, astronomy and politics) and I'm sorry I have. They just take too much time.

My mistake Hoss. I saw a story on the news and thought the winter was bad over there. Maybe the story was about eastern Europe.

Roger, I'm not saying you're wrong - just letting you know what it's like here. I think our proximity to the Atlantic helped on this occasion. Some of Eastern Europe, and even places like Italy that are usually warmer than here, had terrible weather. I read a report claiming over 200 people had died across Europe as tempertures plunged to -20C (-4F). Even in Britain they had temperatures down to -16C (3.2F). I guess we got away lightly.

Sadly, as I'm writing this the news is reporting that over 30 people have died in tornadoes across the Midwestern US. And we complain about the amount of rain we get!.

The last two years I've gotten into other things (like fantasy sports, astronomy and politics) and I'm sorry I have. They just take too much time.

Roger- You say that like Fantasy Sports is a bad thing? :escape: LOL. To me it is just plain addicting...though sadly I kinda let my hockey and basketball teams slide a bit - though I did look at 'em last night. :( Not that they are too much time, just I've been too busy. But now with NASCAR on and almost baseball...I'll make sure to find the time to keep my roster up to date. :D

I tend to surf the net more when the weather is lousy and usually taper off during the summer months. Perhaps spring has sprung early in many places. Wish it was the case here in SW Germany. :(

I've seen trends changing with the internet, especially with mobile devices and public wi-fi spots being so commonplace. We used to be slower in the summer, but the last couple years it seems to only slow down right before school starts and the first week or two in Sept. Then once everybody is settled into their routines, it's business as usual.

I believe people spend less time on the net in the summer, overall, but they probably still long on just as often, making quick hits on social media and news sites, and checking email and such.

We got a few weeks of Lent remaining, we'll have to see how things go after that. Good to hear from you again, bwgath!

Roger- You say that like Fantasy Sports is a bad thing? :escape: LOL. To me it is just plain addicting...

Since you beat me last week in fantasy hockey I'd say that's a bad thing...LOL

You're right though, it is addicting.

We'll really be fighting this year in baseball Garrett. Last year your Cubs finished with 71 wins and my Pirates finished with 72 and I bet it's going to be close again this year.

Since you beat me last week in fantasy hockey I'd say that's a bad thing...LOL

You're right though, it is addicting.

We'll really be fighting this year in baseball Garrett. Last year your Cubs finished with 71 wins and my Pirates finished with 72 and I bet it's going to be close again this year.

What's so bad about me wining? I tend to think of it is a good thing...:-P Besides (since I am watching the pre race show) since my guys had such a hard time in Speedweeks and in Daytona, feel I deserve a win somewhere. Right?

I am thinking or hoping positive...am hoping the Cubs can at least win ninety games this year. If not more...I can always hope, right?

Talking baseball...Cubs has their first Spring Training game against the A's today. GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!! :D

What's so bad about me wining? I tend to think of it is a good thing...:-P Besides (since I am watching the pre race show) since my guys had such a hard time in Speedweeks and in Daytona, feel I deserve a win somewhere. Right?

I am thinking or hoping positive...am hoping the Cubs can at least win ninety games this year. If not more...I can always hope, right?

Talking baseball...Cubs has their first Spring Training game against the A's today. GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!! :D

Lets throw in my Mets to the mix. I think they might make the cellar in NL East. But I still love them no matter what. Best thing they did so far in the off-season is get rid of the black and go back to their classic pinstrip uniforms and blue caps.

I'm gone

Darrell