Boss Hogg....CNN

RogerDuke

Boss always wanted to be Governor of Georgia but lately a different Governor has been getting a little publicity for Boss.

Before leaving office Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi pardoned a few people from jail and that's been stirring up a lot of controversy on a national level.

Since the moderators here are smart enough to not let us talk about politics, I'll be careful how I word this and not discuss the pardons themselves. Yesterday morning, a panel of folks were talking on CNN about Haley Barbour and several references were made comparing him to Boss Hogg. Tonight on CNN the attorney general of Mississippi was also making references to Boss Hogg.

I sure got a chuckle out of it.

By the way, CNN is based it Atlanta. That's just a coincidence of course but it does make the story even funnier.

Well spotted Roger. I'd read the story of the pardons on the BBC, but they didn't make any Boss Hogg references. I try to avoid CNN in case I see Piers Morgan - it was nice of you guys to take him, but don't transmit him back here :).

I watched a video I found about Barbour, and thought I was going to be disappointed about a Dukes reference until this caption came up near the end (it's a shame that CNN can't spell, although I'd expect such inaccuracies from Fox ;)):

CNN_BossHogg.jpg

Here's an interesting article that explains Barbour's reasonings:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/13/2588714/amid-furor-barbour-defends-pardons.html

Ya know while reading all this, I kept thinking about how Uncle Jesse won probation for Bo and Luke by promising not to make any more moonshine. A deal like that wouldn't fly in today's judicial and political climate, would it.

What is the penalty for transporting moonshine with the intent to deliver, anyhow?

It's got nothing to do with Haley Barbour, but a story I read this morning did remind me of Boss Hogg. A group of thieves in Manchester, England spent a considerable amount of time tunneling 30m (100ft) into a Blockbuster store to steal a cash machine. It not that far from the plot of 'Lawman of the Year'. You can see the full story here.

Manhole0503.jpg

Hoss, those are three of the people who were on the panel I was talking about. The guy on the left didn't know who Boss Hogg was. When one of the ladies explained that he was on Starsky and Hutch she was quickly corrected by someone else who knew what she was talking about. The guy on the left (I think his name is Jeff Toobin) is CNN's legal expert. He might know a lot about the law but I kinda feel sorry for the poor feller, not being exposed to the finer things in life when he was a young man.

By the way, look at the bottom of the sceeen on that CNN shot. Them fancy folks from the big city don't even know how to spell Hogg.

Hoss, those are three of the people who were on the panel I was talking about. The guy on the left didn't know who Boss Hogg was. When one of the ladies explained that he was on Starsky and Hutch she was quickly corrected by someone else who knew what she was talking about. The guy on the left (I think his name is Jeff Toobin) is CNN's legal expert. He might know a lot about the law but I kinda feel sorry for the poor feller, not being exposed to the finer things in life when he was a young man.

By the way, look at the bottom of the sceeen on that CNN shot. Them fancy folks from the big city don't even know how to spell Hogg.

Good Lord. Further evidence as to why I don't watch CNN anymore! LOL

CNN may be based in Atlanta, but I think if Atlanta had it's choice, it would be located somewhere other than in the south.

CNN may be based in Atlanta, but I think if Atlanta had it's choice, it would be located somewhere other than in the south.

Good point MaryAnne. They don't even have any folks with southern drawls as news-people. CNN certainly doesn't respresent Hazzard County Georgia that's for sure....but I suppose they're not trying to.

LOL for some reason I'm reminded of Uncle Jesse's quote...."And don't go taking advantage of those city folks just 'cause they don't know no better."