2012 Sprint Cup Series race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

They will be racing Saturday night at Daytona this week...hope all your drivers have a great race. I don't think I will be able to watch the race this week...hope to catch the end, but I don't know. Will read up on it and will write my review from that if I don't watch it. Hate missing a race. . .

Well to be honest I really don't know where to even start with my review. I missed the first three fourths of the race to begin with. Matt Kenseth started up front while Tony Stewart went from second qualifying spot to 42nd when he failed inspection. I read where there was a complication on pit road where three cars slid or bumped together and caused a scary moment for a crew member...Gordon was involved in that one.

Shortly after I turned it on JJ was involved in a wreck that also included Jeff Gordon. Gordon had minimal damage while JJ hit the wall hard. Glad he is OK.

Later on Denny Hamlin who was in a good run slid in front of Biffle to collect 24 cars...including the 24 car. :mad:

Then on the very last lap...really don't know what happened since the TV was focused on the winner...but Gordon, Jr and several other cars were involved in a huge looking accident.

Glad to say everyone walked away OK from all accidents.

Tony Stewart went on to win his third race of the season. Congrats to Stewart and his fans.

Here is the top ten of the race (though really don't know how many cars actually were able to finish the race...)

1. Tony Stewart

2. Jeff Burton

3. Matt Kenseth

4. Joey Lagano

5. Ryan Newman

6. Brad Keselwoski

7. Carl Edwards

8. Micheal Waltrip

9. Bobby Labonte

10. David Reutimann

On a side note...AJ Allmindinger has been suspended for failing a random drug test. Sam Hornish Jr rode in his 22 car. Guess AJ has 72 hours to request a B test if he fails that one his temporary suspension will turn into indefinate suspension. Very sad to hear this. I like AJ and feel he was a good kid...guess that shows how little I know. The last driver to fail a drug test from NASCAR was Jeremy Mayfield. Hope AJ will pass his next test and that there is a reason for the first failure. :(

Well I for one am glad to leave Daytona behind. Not my night of racing. (Jeff managed to finish 12th, Jr 15th, David Ragen 26, and JJ 36th.) We are onto Loudon next week...I for one am looking forward to some normal racing that won't require as many big ones as tonight produced. We will be back to Sunday afternoon racing as well next week...

Thanks for the update Garrett. I was at a family reunion all day so haven't seen any of the highlights on TV yet.

David Ragen...26th? Well, I guess that's better than he's done in a lot of races but I was hoping he'd surprise folks with a top 10 finish.

What state's Loudon in?

I didn't even know they gave drug tests in NASCAR. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. They're required in most jobs nowadays.

Thanks for the update Garrett. I was at a family reunion all day so haven't seen any of the highlights on TV yet.

David Ragen...26th? Well, I guess that's better than he's done in a lot of races but I was hoping he'd surprise folks with a top 10 finish.

What state's Loudon in?

I didn't even know they gave drug tests in NASCAR. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. They're required in most jobs nowadays.

Thanks Roger for responding...Yeah hopefully Ragen will find a way to get a top ten. A way to get recognized. He had better chances when he was with Rousch since Rousch has more money than his current team / car owner.

Loudon is in New Hampshire...had to think about it for a moment there.

Two or three years ago NASCAR started doing this random drug testing...Jeremy Mayfield has been the only other driver who has failed and that turned into a big fiasco type deal thanks to Mayfield and his lawyers. Hope AJ's case is nothing like that...poor Roger Penske (AJ's car owner/team owner). First he had the whole thing with Kurt Busch last year that got Busch fired and now he has this to deal with. Read that AJ will have his "B" test either Monday or Tuesday. Will keep you updated as well as I can since I currently don't have a computer at my apt as of now...but am hoping for the best.

On a side note Kevin Harvick's wife, Delana Harvick welcomed their first child into the world today. The baby that Havick has been calling Baby Otis to keep the name a secret is officially Keelen (Sp? LOL...either Keelen or Keelan) Paul Harvick. Jimmie Johnson's daughter also turned two yesterday...wow has time flew by - doesn't seem like that long ago I was reading articles on his daughter being born.

Well I apologize y'all for this coming soooo late, but I have been without a computer for the past week and looks as if I may go another week without it. Going through internet withdrawl...almost as bad as my NASCAR withdrawl in the winter. ;)

The Sprint Cup Series will be racing at Loudon New Hampshire tomorrow at noon EST on TNT. If I remember right, it is the last race on TNT before going to ESPN next week, but will keep you updated on that.

Here is the starting line up for the race tomorrow:

1. Kyle Busch

2. Kasey Kahne

3. Denny Hamlin

4. Martin Truex Jr.

5. Clint Bowyer

6. Ryan Newman

7. Jimmie Johnson

8. Jeff Gordon

9. Dale Earnhardt Jr

10. Tony Stewart

I am really looking forward to the race tomorrow...especially seeing all four Hendrick drivers are starting in the top ten. Plus Stewart and Newman both have Hendrick engines under 'em as well. Looks as if it may be a Hendrick race...HA HA. I can only hope. LOL Michael Waltrip has two drivers in the top ten as well as Joe Gibbs - perhaps it is just all a team effort. Hope everyone's driver will have a good race for you. Starting position is great, but it is the end that counts. :D

I'm kinda depressed about David Ragen not being up there anymore. I understand it's because he switched teams and all but still it's getting me down and not making the season as interesting as it was last year.

Hey Garrett, you're pretty well connected in the world of NASCAR. Next time you're in one of the meetings at NASCAR corporate headquarters could you tell them my story and maybe use your influence to get Ragen up there in the top 10? They don't take bribes do they?.....'cause I have $152 in my savings if that will help.

I'm kinda depressed about David Ragen not being up there anymore. I understand it's because he switched teams and all but still it's getting me down and not making the season as interesting as it was last year.

Hey Garrett, you're pretty well connected in the world of NASCAR. Next time you're in one of the meetings at NASCAR corporate headquarters could you tell them my story and maybe use your influence to get Ragen up there in the top 10? They don't take bribes do they?.....'cause I have $152 in my savings if that will help.

Wow Roger...I think you got me mixed up with someone else cause I have yet to recieve my invitation to go to any NASCAR meeting or to any NASCAR coprorate headquarters. Dang I would think I'd have died and went to heaven if that ever happened.

As for influence...um, I hate to inform you I have little to no inflluence in the world of NASCAR. If I did, I'd be sitting in Gordon and Johnson's pit box at every race and be buying them Christmas gifts every year.

Though in case they change their mind, what's this story of your's you want me to tell them? :-o

Poor Roger...don't get discouraged with David Ragen. I wish I had some good news and say that he is up in the top ten, but at least he isn't in the news for failing a drug test or for blowing his cool or getting mad at an reporter. It is easy to get discouraged...trust me, I know. With all the bad luck that has hounded the 24 team I have found myself getting a bit discouraged. But don't give up on David, he needs your support. He is young and can still prove himself...he just needs to find a way to show his talent and hope a higher profit team will pick him up next year or in the future.

I'm kinda depressed about David Ragen not being up there anymore...

David Ragan is starting tonight's race in 19th with some big names behind him, so maybe he'll get a better result.

...'cause I have $152 in my savings if that will help.

Maybe you should call Stewart-Haas Racing - they're losing their US Army sponsorship at the end of the year, so could probably use the money :).

Well the race has just gotten over and not much to report other than they raced 301 laps for Kasey Kahne to take home his second trophy home for the second time this season. He has more than likely grabbed a wild card for the chase.

Denny Hamlin led the most laps until his last pit stop where he told his crew cheif all he needed was tires and his cheif thought he needed four. His four tire pit stop handed Kasey Kahne the lead. Hamlin fought hard after that and almost caught Kasey at the end, but he didn't have enough car to do that. He came home second.

Here is the top ten:

1. Kasey Kahne

2. Denny Hamlin

3. Clint Bowyer

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr

5. Brad Keselowski

6. Jeff Gordon

7. Jimmie Johnson

8. Kevin Harvick

9. Greg Biffle

10. Ryan Newman

Stewart didn't have much of a car today and came home 12th. Sorry Roger to bring you more bad news but it looks like David Ragen didn't finish the race today...they didn't say anything about why other than that he was out of the race. He came home 34th today.

:-o Sadly NASCAR has given the Sprint Cup Series a week off next week. :cry: The next race for the Sprint Cup is July 29th at Indy. The race will be at noon ESP on ESPN. (Today was the last race of the season on TNT...am not too sad about that since they played more commercials than race it seems to me. Still wish it was on FOX. ;) )

Maybe you should call Stewart-Haas Racing - they're losing their US Army sponsorship at the end of the year, so could probably use the money :).

Thanks for the update Garrett. I still like your updates even though I'm disappointed to hear you're not a big wig in NASCAR's corporate headquarters. With your knowledge I though for sure you were up there.

Hoss, do you think $152 is enough money to sponser a car?

Thanks for the update Garrett. I still like your updates even though I'm disappointed to hear you're not a big wig in NASCAR's corporate headquarters. With your knowledge I though for sure you were up there.

Hoss, do you think $152 is enough money to sponser a car?

Sorry to disappoint you Roger...if you know where I can apply, I'd be more than excited to apply. That has got to be the best job...either that or the person who drops the flags...

Thanks for the update Garrett.

Hey, this week off will give me more time to add to my $152 in savings so I can sponsor a car!

You are welcome, Roger. Wish I was updating on a race this weekend...*sigh*...but I guess even they need a break. Though Jeff Gordon isn't getting much of a break. He is in Rwanda right now with Bill Clinton to open up a children's cancer facility or something like that. It is his third trip down there to help with cancer and help the people down there. With all his charities...JG must have a heart of gold. So I guess the break does benefit a lot of people, so at least it does have a cause.

You're going to sponsor Jeff Gordon, Roger? Perhaps your name on his car will move him towards his first win of the season. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't put up the starting line up as of now...been busy and away from the computer. In fact, I will NOT be watching the race today. :-o It is so wrong to miss a race...but especially when NASCAR comes to INDY as they are today. Will be reading it up once I get home and will be writing my review on that. I am sorry to be a disappoint to y'all this weekend. :( Perhaps Gordon will win without me...

Here is the first top ten starters of the race:

1. Denny Hamlin

2. Carl Edwards

3. Joey Lagano

4. Aric Almirola

5. Greg Biffle

6. Jimmie Johnson

7. Kyle Busch

8. Paul Menard (last year's Indy winner...due to gas fuelage...OVER JEFF GORDON! LOL)

9. Jeff Gordon

10. Matt Kenseth

The race will start at noon EST on ESPN. Hopefully will do a better job at this next weekend...

Well as I said I was unable to watch the race yesterday. Always hate missing a race, but missing a big race like Indy is all that much worse. But I guess family should come first...LOL.

I really don't have a lot of info right now other than Jimmie Johnson won his fourth Indy race...to tie Jeff Gordon. It looks like Jimmie dominated the race yesterday.

Here is the top ten finishes of yesterday's race:

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Kyle Busch

3. Greg Biffle

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr

5. Jeff Gordon

6. Denny Hamlin

7. Ryan Newman

8. Martin Truex Jr

9. Brad Keselwoski

10. Tony Stewart

Here is the top ten in points:

1. Dale Earnhardt Jr

2. Matt Kenseth

3. Greg Biffle

4. Jimmie Johnson

5. Denny Hamlin

6. Kevin Harvick

7. Martin Truex Jr

8. Tony Stewart

9. Brad Keselowski

10. Clint Bowyer

We will be racing at Pocono next Sunday and unless something major comes up, I will be watching it. Sorry for the lack of info at the time...

You may be pleased to hear that Jeff Gordon had a pretty strong race and spent quite a few laps in second behind Jimmie Johnson. Unfortunately he dropped a couple of places in the last pit stop and got on the outside at the restart. I think he dropped down to eighth before fighting back to finish fifth - he was fastest on the final lap. Aside from that it was fairly uneventful - there were only five cautions, and the most serious was the final one involving Joey Logano, Matt Kenseth and Bobby Labonte.

For Roger, David Ragan was the last car on the lead lap and finished 28th.

You may be pleased to hear that Jeff Gordon had a pretty strong race and spent quite a few laps in second behind Jimmie Johnson. Unfortunately he dropped a couple of places in the last pit stop and got on the outside at the restart. I think he dropped down to eighth before fighting back to finish fifth - he was fastest on the final lap. Aside from that it was fairly uneventful - there were only five cautions, and the most serious was the final one involving Joey Logano, Matt Kenseth and Bobby Labonte.

For Roger, David Ragan was the last car on the lead lap and finished 28th.

Thanks Hoss for the update...I am very happy to hear that Jeff had a strong car. He has had strong cars this year, just not the finishes to show for it due to outside (mainly) sources. Glad to hear he had the fastest car on the last lap and am happy with fifth place finish . . . and to see my number two driver, Jimmie Johnson won. Though if Jeff doesn't get a couple of wins between now and September, he will not make the chase. :( Guess that will give him time to gamble and work on how to get the championship next year. NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Hope Joey, Matt, and Bobby were OK in that wreck. I tried looking for an article on Yahoo's NASCAR page but couldn't find one to read...NASCAR.com takes too long on my apt computer and didn't feel like waiting for it to load up, so thanks Hoss for the update. Glad to hear I didn't miss much excitement, but still hate it that I missed the Indy race. Ah well...will be watching Pocono this weekend unless something comes up...Jeff Gordon's 41st birthday is Saturday, so maybe he'll get a win for his birthday. :D

Thanks for looking up Ragen's place for Roger. Doh me didn't even look that far or think that far.

Thanks Hoss :p

Hope Joey, Matt, and Bobby were OK in that wreck.

It wasn't a really bad wreck. Bobby finished on the lead lap in 26th, and Joey completed 12 laps after the crash. Only Matt had to retire due to damage and an impressive fire. When he came to a standstill he calmly climbed out, took off his gloves and helmet and reached back into his burning car to get his cap! There's a video of the crash

628x471.jpg

Well the prerace show is on ESPN as of right now but it is very depressing looking to see that it is RAINING at Pocono right now. :roll: Go figure...I stay home to watch the race and it is raining. Am not happy right now.

But when the race starts, whenever that is,this is the top ten starters:

1. Juan Pablo Montoya

2. Denny Hamlin

3. Paul Menard

4. Kasey Kahne

5. Marcos Ambrose

6. Kurt Busch

7. Matt Kenseth

8. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

9. Ryan Newman

10. Jimmie Johnson

There is an Iowa connection for today's race. Three weeks ago two girls, cousins 10 and 8, disappeared while going on a bike ride and they have little to no info on where they may be. Just a very sad and scary case and my t houghts and prayers remain with them. Well Landon Cassill is from Iowa...BK racing where Landon Cassill and Travis Kvapil race for, both cars will have the girls pictures on them with info on thier cars. Hope ESPN will give them good covereage whenever the race starts. . .

Well the race just may be over due to rain and I have never been so HAPPY to see it rain during the race. Never thought I would say that, but before I say any more I will start to write my review as they interview the drivers...

Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart started 27th and 28th today. But they both were quick to pass and move towards the front.

Kyle Busch hit the wall early on in the race, he came back out and later on got caught speeding on pit road. He refused to go in at first and NASCAR was giving him warning they were about to stop counting him on the scoreboard before he went into pits.

Kurt Busch hit the wall as well...not a Busch kind of race today it looks.

Am very disappointed with ESPN. As I mentioned Cassill and Kvapil had the two missing girls on their car, but I heard no one mention the two girls nor did I not seen any of the two cars as of yet during the race. Know and understand that they are not top names nor up there in points or position, but would think they would take a moment to put their cause in the spotlight. Shame on ESPN and the reporters. Very disappointed with all that.

Dale Earnhardt Jr finished 32nd today after finishg 18 laps down due to losing his transmission. Had fallen from first in points to fourth due to this...

Well they started talking about rain as soon as the race went half way done...if the race goes halfway, then the race is over if weather interupts enough.

Well on lap 95 or so after Kurt Busch's wreck's caution went green Jimmie Johnson was trying to keep in first from Matt Kenseth, Johnson's car got lose to hit Kenseth...Jeff Gordon who was fifth was able to drive around them to take the LEAD! (And since Matt was taken out in the wreck, Dale Jr is now back in first place in points.)

During the caution, the rain everyone had predicted and talked about, came. They had parked the cars before it downpoured, lightning, and thundering...NASCAR had called the race...giving the win to JEFF GORDON!!!! Not only that, but now one of the wild card chases for the chase will most likely going to Jeff Gordon due to his position and his top fives...hope he sticks with it. They are racing at Watkins Glen...road course...where Gordon excels at. (This is Gordon's sixth Pocono win btw).

I am a little excited as y'all may guess...LOL. I am on cloud nine right now as they say...

Here is the top ten finishes of the race:

1. Jeff Gordon

2. Kasey Kahne (who finished with a flat tire)

3. Martin Truex Jr

4. Brad Keselowski

5. Tony Stewart

6. Ryan Newman

7. Carl Edwards

8. Clint Bowyer

9. Regan Smith

10. Marcos Ambrose

Am very disappointed with ESPN. As I mentioned Cassill and Kvapil had the two missing girls on their car, but I heard no one mention the two girls nor did I not seen any of the two cars as of yet during the race. Know and understand that they are not top names nor up there in points or position, but would think they would take a moment to put their cause in the spotlight. Shame on ESPN and the reporters. Very disappointed with all that.

Apparently Michael Annett had similar decals on his car for the Nationwide race at Iowa Speedway last night. I only saw the second half of the race, but don't remember the commentators mentioning it.