2012 Sprint Cup Series race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Dang I really don't get no respect around here, now do I? First Roger hijacks my football thread with baseball and now Hoss is hijacking my NASCAR thread with golf.:(

Roger is somewhat forgiven since I do love baseball and baseball is a great sport, though it has it's own thread.

But golf? :roll: Now that is asking too much...sorry Hoss, but really? :mad: You just started talking about one of the slowest paced sports in a thread dedicated to the fastest paced sport...just don't understand.

Yeah, I really don't get any respect around here...:-P You better be getting all those golf carts and clubs outta here Hoss since Sunday they are visiting the fastest track on the circuit...your golf game just may get ran over by 43 of the fastest cars! LOL

Yeah, I really don't get any respect around here...:-P You better be getting all those golf carts and clubs outta here Hoss since Sunday they are visiting the fastest track on the circuit...your golf game just may get ran over by 43 of the fastest cars! LOL

That's alright - we only get to beat you guys at golf once every two years - I (probably) won't mention it again. ;)

Anyway, Formula 1's in Japan this weekend, so I have a motor race to watch (albeit at 7am on Sunday morning :(). Suzuka is the only track on the current F1 calendar that's a figure-8 circuit (with a bridge, not a crossroads!).

That's alright - we only get to beat you guys at golf once every two years - I (probably) won't mention it again. ;)

Anyway, Formula 1's in Japan this weekend, so I have a motor race to watch (albeit at 7am on Sunday morning :(). Suzuka is the only track on the current F1 calendar that's a figure-8 circuit (with a bridge, not a crossroads!).

So you saying we are safe to say you will not invade this great NASCAR thread with golf for another two years now? Thanks for the warning. :lol:

Wow Hoss...your races are EARLY. Am sure glad my races aren't that early...think the earliest mine are is noon and that is just fine with me. Sounds like an exciting race to watch...must be an exciting racing weekend.

Talledega gets pretty exciting...high paced and always producing the big one. Well not always a few years ago they cut down the restrictor plate size and the cars didn't go so fast...Tony Stewart acted as if he was sleeping in his car he was so bored with it. NASCAR musta got complaints about it and was pretty quick to change it back. Would love Talledega except for the constant fear of the big one...am just hoping my Hendrick team can stay out of trouble. (As well as everyone's favorite driver here...)

Hope your driver does well for you Hoss at your race. :)

Sorry Roger, I was just chipping in. You were obviously teed off with my below par comments about golf, which have a fairway to go before I impress you, and I'm not out of the woods yet. Thanks fore putting up with me and letting me in your club ;).

PS. They have drivers in golf too.

Garrett might not be happy about the NASCAR thread being hijacked (and I promise to get back to the subject) but I just have to say....

This is hilarious.

Hoss, maybe you could use that fan art stuff you do and make up a golf cart to look like Jeff Gordon's car. That should make Garrett happy.

Hoss, maybe you could use that fan art stuff you do and make up a golf cart to look like Jeff Gordon's car. That should make Garrett happy.

No need, Roger; real life beat me to it. Here's a selection of #24 themed golf carts:

JGGolf1.jpg

I also found a load of Jeff Gordon related golf products including: golf clubs; golf bags; head covers; golf umbrellas; golf balls. There's even a picture of the man himself sat on a golf cart (although I don't think he was playing). Maybe he should've stuck with the golf cart - it's probably faster and more reliable than the car he's had for most of this season :):

JGGolf2.jpg

So put your #24 ball on the tee, take aim with your #24 club, and drive to end hunger. ;)

NB.These are all real images/products - the only thing I altered was the size.

Thanks Hoss for the great images...loved seeing all that 24 even if it is for golf. Loved the picture of Jeff Gordon himself the most.

Though am deeply insulted at your implications of a little ol' golf cart being faster than his NASCAR Cup car. Never seen a golf car go two hundred miles before. . . :-o Well he'll be going two hundred miles per hour tomorrow or around that speed as they are at one of the fastest tracks of the circuit...Talledega.

Well, I am hoping to get to watch the whole race, but don't know if I will be able to or not. Either way I will do a write up on it afterwards or on Monday...so if it is not right away, it isn't that I forgot, but that I didn't have time. But fingers crossed that I will be able to watch the race and do my review afterwards...

The NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Talledega will start at 1:00 PM EST (or the pre-race show) on ESPN. Here is the starting top ten:

1. Kasey Kahen

2. Ryan Newman

3. Clint Bowyer

4. Tony Stewart

5. Greg Biffle

6. Jeff Gordon

7. Carl Edwards

8. Trevor Bayne

9. Martin Truex Jr.

10. Sam Hornish Jr

Once again, thanks for the images Hoss...love the 24s. Golf carts may not go as fast as Jeff Gordon's race cars, but ask Jimmie Johnson they can be just as dangerous. Think it was after his first championship he won, perhaps his second, during the off season Jimmie Johnson fell off of a golf cart and broke his arm. Though if my memory serves me correctly, he was goofing around when it happened so perhaps that had something to do with the broken arm :roll: more than that golf cart, but still, he broke it thanks to a golf cart.

Well I got to watch the first half of the race and just got to see the scary wreck. Wow...amazing how people can walk away from that. Know people watch Talledega for the big one, I for one can live without the big one. Today's big one There is a link to the wreck...never good to see the bottom of a race car...glad Tony Stewart and everyone in the BIG ONE is OK. Too scary to watch.

The half that I did watch...only a couple of cautions due to smaller type accidents. Today was the last race for Kurt Busch as he will be taking over Ragen Smith's 78 car next week...he was leading the race when he ran out of gas and someone hit him from behind. He hit the wall...took his helmet off. It is requirement when the driver's car won't start up, that they have to be taken to the incare field center in the ambulance...well the ambulance came up and the paramedics placed their medical bag on top of Kurt Busch's car...then Busch got his car restarted and drove off. NASCAR kept yelling at Kurt to stop and since Kurt didn't have his helmet on (Driving on track) he didn't hear NASCAR. NASCAR then parked Kurt and his entire 51 team for the rest of the race...

Well I apologize for not watching the entire race as I was hoping to, but got to go visit family and see the first half of the race. Talledega seems to always produce the big one and it did not disapoint today...sadly. I seen teh replay of the accident and even Stewart said he went down too early and Michael Waltrip was already there to create the big one.

Here is the top ten finishes of today's race:

1. Matt Kenseth

2. Jeff Gordon

3. Kyle Busch

(Roger you are going to LOVE this...)

4. DAVID RAGEN

5. Ragen Smith

6. Greg Biffle

7. Brad Keselowski

8. Travis Kvapil

9. Ryan Newman

10. Jeff Burton

Talledega and Daytona the restrictor plate races is always good for shaking things up and seeing drivers up front you don't normally see. As they said in pre race, Talledega is out of the driver's control.

Next race will be Charolette...we'll be going night racing Saturday night at 7:00 PM EST on ABC.

NASCAR Sprint Cup will be racing TOMORROW night (Saturday) on ABC (not ESPN) at Charlotte...I think at 7 EST. Have some racing under the lights - love it!

Though what I am not loving about tomorrow's race is the fact that Jr will be watching the race on the sideline or where ever he choses to watch the race and not in the 88. Nothing against Ragen Smith. He's a good kid and deserves the chance to prove himself with a top team...this his his chance to prove himself to the NASCAR world. But it will just seem wrong not to have Jr in the 88...in fact it will be just wrong not to have an Earnhardt in the race. Been YEARS since there was a race without an Earnhardt. (Read how long it has been yesterday, but can't remember exactly.) Before there was Dale Jr, there was Dale Sr...before Dale Sr there was Ralph Earnhardt (Dale Jr's grand daddy). And now two races, at least, without an Earnhardt. Though am glad Jr has stepped forward to take care of his health to get feeling better and not just go out there and race with it, he needs to take care of himself if he wants to be in the car for many more years. Just hate it for him and hope he will recover quickly and smoothly.

Forward...LOL. Charlotte use to be named Jimmie's house due to how well he use to drive here...he still does, but not as dominate as he use to. Though read he has came in fourth in both practices, so he very well may have the car to beat tomorrow.

Jeff Gordon on the other hand will have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on his car (Leonardo on the hood for his son Leo) and has said several weeks ago that if he wins at Charlotte, he will break dance in victory lane. I for one, hope to see him breakdance again. :D He'll have turtle power on his side. ;)

Well here is the top ten qualifiers to tomorrow night's race:

1. Greg Biffle

2. Mark Martin

3. Ryan Newman

4. Clint Bowyer

5. Jimmie Johnson

6. Martin Truex Jr

7. Matt Kenseth

8. Kyle Busch

9. Denny Hamlin

10. Kasey Kahne

Enjoy the race Garrett.

I'm logging out to head off to a wedding reception but I'll catch the highlights and your review.

Good luck to JG.

Hope you enjoy your reception...but couldn't they have had it tomorrow when there is no race? :rofl:

Thanks Roger...hope Gordon can get the win tonight. If he does, he'll be doing some break dancing afterwards. Can't wait...only five races left after tonight. :-?

Well, if you missed today's race, well, you didn't miss much of anything.. Personally, I hate missing any race, but today's race has left little for me to talk about. The race started off with a bang with Kenseth getting a flat on lap eleven (Tony Stewart got caught up in it), then on the restart David Ragen and Jeff Burton ran into each other to cause another caution. There was two other cautions after that throughout the race, but think they both were for debris.

Jeff Gordon finished 18th...so no breakdancing tonight. Didn't have much of a car to begin with, but then got caught speeding in pit road...shame on him! Finished two laps down. This 24 fan isn't too happy as his championship hopes probably took a big hit tonight (Yep...from sixth in points to nineth. Fifty points down.)

Ragen Smith was doing pretty great in Jr's 88 car, took it from 26th starting spot to tenth only for him to lose his engine and had to take it to the garage early.

At the end of the race there was only six drivers on the lead lap...still don't understand how that happens. Has to do something with gas...once again, came down to a gas fuelage deal.

Here is the top ten finishers of today's race:

1. Clint Bowyer (on my fantasy team this week :) )

2. Denny Hamlin

3. Jimmie Johnson (on my fantasy team this week)

4. Greg Biffles

5. Kyle Busch

6. Mark Martin

7. Carl Edwards

8. Kasey Kahne

9. Joey Logano

10. Martin Truex Jr. (on my fantasy team)

We are onto Kansas next Sunday...we are half way through the chase.

18th? Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Well, at least you grabbed the #1 and 3 spot on your fantasy team.

I saw in the paper that your man JG stirred up a little controversy by saying that Dale Jr should have kept his mouth shut about the headache. Have you heard any response about that comment from Jr?

Yeah 18th hurt a little...very disappointing race for this 24 fan. Think his championship hopes are pretty much flat right now. Not giving up hope but sooner or later you got to face reality. But looking back at his season, am just thankful he made the chase. If he can't win the championship then a fifth or at least in the top ten would be great...top ten drivers in points get to go to the championship dinner or whatnot they call it.

You telling me Roger that you know something about JG that I didn't know? :-o I read an article that JG said he wouldn't have came forth with the concussion/headache if he was going for the championship, but have yet to hear him say that Dale should have kept his mouth shut about it. That has got to stir up some controversy - especially in Jr Nation. I will have to go look up at that and let you know if it went any farther. Did read an article that someone said this concussion COULD end Jr's career, but don't know how much I would put into that.

Personally I think Dale needs to take care of Dale - even if it is sitting out a few races. Hate seeing him out of his car like this, but he needs to make sure he is healthy before going 200 mph. Heck...(it hurts me to say this, really it does. Dale is my third favorite and really am sad for Jr with all this) but it wouldn't hurt Dale to sit out the rest of the season to make sure he is all better. I mean we have five races left, he is out at least one more, and has no chance at all at making the championship this year - he has nothing to prove or to lose by sitting out and taking care of himself. Dale needs to do what is best for Dale...not for his fans, or for the sport. .But for himself.

I shouldn't have worded it "kept his mouth shut." That wasn't an actual quote and I apologize.

I agree that Junior should do what's best for himself. If I was him I'd take the rest of the season off. But I'm not him and he's more competitive than me so he probably won't miss more than he has to unless his doctors recommend it.

I'm very sorry things aren't looking good for JG. I know how much it means to you. There is a bright side. You weren't a big David Ragen fan this year.

I shouldn't have worded it "kept his mouth shut." That wasn't an actual quote and I apologize.

I agree that Junior should do what's best for himself. If I was him I'd take the rest of the season off. But I'm not him and he's more competitive than me so he probably won't miss more than he has to unless his doctors recommend it.

I'm very sorry things aren't looking good for JG. I know how much it means to you. There is a bright side. You weren't a big David Ragen fan this year.

No problem, Roger. Was wondering if that was the same article or not. Doubt Jr will sit out the rest of the season...it's probably killing him (not literally, of course) to be sitting out these two races. Plus with fans and sponsors, he has a lot of people to keep happy. Guess there is a price to pay for being voted the most popular driver for nine years in a row...

Thanks Roger...it is very disappointing to see how Gordon's season has gone this year. He has had his good races and has had very good and fast cars, just not the finishes he needs and deserves thanks to good ol' bad luck.

There is a bright side to this year? Believe it or not, I do like David Ragen...perhaps not as much as I like my Hendrick drivers, but do wish him all the best in his racing career. But yeah I guess Gordon could be where David is in points and all that.

My hope for the next five races is that Gordon can have great races with at least one win (is that too much to ask for?) and perhaps to finish lower than nineth in points...and that either Kasey Kahne or JJ will win the championship. Really don't think I am asking too much, am I? :-o

The Sprint Cup Series will be racing at Kansas tomorrow afternoon at 1:00 PM EST on ESPN - well I should say the pre-race show will start at 1:00...pre-race show is normally an hour or so long with commercials, driver interviews, more commercials, some talk, more commercials...LOL.

They will be driving on a repaved Kansas track, so track conditions and the such may be different than how it was before...

Here is the top ten qualifiers:

1. Kasey Kahne

2. Mark Martin

3. Clint Bowyer (Kansas native)

4. Kyle Busch

5. Aric Almirola

6. Ryan Newman

7. Jimmie Johnson

8. Joey Logano

9. Denny Hamlin

10. Kevin Harvick

Thanks for the update Garrett.

I'm going to be spending the day trying to find my way out of corn mazes tomorrow with my grandson so I won't be home until after the race....

....but I'll look for your review then.

You are very welcome, Roger...thank you for reading them. Thanks to the Dukes and the General Lee, I love talking about NASCAR. Am grateful that y'all gave me the platform to talk about NASCAR and their races. :D

I hope you enjoy your corn maze with your grandson :). Perhaps you and your grandson can have a race to see who can make it through the corn maze the fastest. :-o

Am looking forward to watching the race tomorrow and hope to write a review of a great race...one with Gordon in Victory Lane. Fingers crossed. LOL. Either way, will make sure to write my un-biased review after the race. ;)

I think the highlight of today's race was that we had fourteen cautions...a new record for Kansas...newly repaved. Goodyear will have their hands full trying to find a softer tire since most of the issues were tire related...hard tires.

Am proud of Jimmie Johnson and the entire 48 crew. They had led a lot of laps before getting shoved back mid pack due to a pit stop. Back there he spun out and hit the wall. They had talked about taking it to the garage, instead they fixed it on pit road. Took the car home nineth today...great example to never give up.

Aric Almirola led teh most laps today. Was leading until he wrecked, he fought back, was going for the lead and spun again. Several laps later he spun out and hit the wall hard - car caught fire for a bit and knocked the air out of Aric. Bet Richard Petty was proud of his driver today for the fight he gave today.

Tony Stewart who started towards the back due to a poor qualifing effort...was tagged with a pit road penalty when his crew left the wrench in the back of his window. Served that...then spun out. Came home with a fifth spot finish.

Danica Patrick purposely spun out Iowa native Landon Cassill...they were fighting for space for a while. According to Danica Landon had hit her on the side for no reason...Danica spun Landon out and she ended up hitting the wall hard and taking herself out of the race. As Landon had said "Rule of thumb, you going to spin someone out, don't wreck yourself." Or something like that. Even Danica's own crew cheif called into her after the wreck and told her there was no call for that. (Something like that...)

Kyle Busch had spun out towards the beginning of the race and had continued racing until Ryan Newman spun him out to end his night...took Newman out as well. They interviewed Kyle and he said that at least Newman took himself out of the race as well and that he'll have another one coming later on. Kyle was loose all race long, Ryan surely didn't help him any - or make him any happier.

Greg Biffle was another good car that had spun out and later had taken himself to the garage...chase car as well.

Kurt Busch had hit the wall towards the end of the race, but not hard enough to draw a caution...

As I said earlier, it was a CRAZY race. With all the cautions going on and everyone spinning, one would think we were at Daytona or Talledega - just not going as fast...though they were going faster than normal for Kansas due to the new track. I was just glad Jeff Gordon was able to stay clear away from all trouble today...had a hard week before Kansas, started out mediocre, before gaining ten positions in pits and stayed in the top ten...came home tenth today.

Here is the top ten finishes of today's race:

1. Matt Kenseth

2. Martin Truex Jr

3. Paul Menard

4. Kasey Kahne

5. Tony Stewart

6. Clint Bowyer

7. Regan Smith

8. Brad Keselowski

9. Jimmie Johnson

10. Jeff Gordon

Was happy to see that Regan Smith finish seventh today -proving how good he can be with great equimpent under him. Bet Dale Jr was pretty happy himself as well. Rick Hendrick (Dale Jr's, Johnson's, Gordon's, and Kahne's car owner) said before the race that Jr was cleared to race next weekend, but later came out and said that Jr had an incar test tomorrow he had to pass and an office type test on Tuesday he would need to pass to get cleared. So far so good for Dale Jr, so if he passes the tests, he will be back in the 88 car at Martinsville next Sunday. Will know for sure on Tuesday afternoon. :)

Thanks for the update Garrett.

It sure sounds like it was chaos.

How often do places repave their tracks?

Judging by the way you started your review I suspect that first races on new tracks can be challenging.

It was chaos and heartbreak for some drivers. Had to feel bad for Almirola going for his first win with the best car he has ever driven only for the win be taken away from him due to his tires. Bet Goodyear is back at the shop working hard on getting a better and softer tire for the track when they visit it again in the spring.

Newly repaved tracks do present challenge. The old track the drivers know what to expect, how to build their car to fit the track. A newly repaved track leaves everyone guessing and not knowing what to expect. Plus the track has NO grip at all, which leaves for the slippery conditions and what not.

Don't know how often they repave tracks...want to say ten years or so sounds about right, but that would be a guess. Really don't know for sure.

They are going to Martinsville, short track racing. Hope for less wrecks than last week...always leaves me holding my breath hoping it doesn't collect to one of my favorite drivers.

Was going to post this in news, but will just post it here...DALE EARNHARDT JR has been medically cleared to RACE AT MARTINSVILLE this Sunday. :D I for one am excited and glad to hear Jr is back to racing shape. ;)

Don't know if I should say anything, don't want to jinx myself. I am in two NASCAR fantasy leagues in NASCAR this year. First half of the season I did horrible...think I cursed my drivers I chose for my team thoses weeks. Hung out seventh or nineth in both of them for a long while. Had no hope of ever really accomplishing much in either league. But with four races remaining to the season, in one league I have climbed three or so spots last week to be sitting in third...in the other league, I am currently proudly sitting FIRST for the second week in a row. :-o Never expected to get this high and now holding my breath that I can pick the right drivers to get me a win in one of my leagues...but know that is probably asking too much. :roll: