2012 Sprint Cup Series race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Apparently Michael Annett had similar decals on his car for the Nationwide race at Iowa Speedway last night. I only saw the second half of the race, but don't remember the commentators mentioning it.

I missed last night's race...did want to see it since it was in Iowa. Didn't hear anything about it being on Annett's car, but they did say that they were going to be on Cassill's and Kvapil's cars today. Glad they at least showed Annett's car. But still wished they would give the case more attention for those poor girls' sake. :(

The prerace show on ESPN is about to start...we are goin' road racing today. Turning left and right. The race all road racers are happy about...Juan Pablo Montoya, Marcos Ambrose, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart...Boris Said. It is also one that Jimmie Johnson has yet to win at. One of five.

Here is the top ten starting positions...

1. Juan Pablo Montoya

2. Kyle Busch

3. Jimmie Johnson

4. Brad Keselowski

5. Marcos Ambrose

6. Ryan Newman

7. Tony Stewart

8. Clint Bowyer

9. Martin Truex Jr

10. Jamie McMurray

They may not go as fast as normal on a oval track, harder to pass, but any track my driver is good at, I am excited to be at. :D Hope everyone's driver will have a fun and safe race today.

Well the race has just got over and for the most part was just a race...it got exciting during the last half of the race. Jeff Gordon's car was junk most of the race until they put a spring rubber in and the last ten laps came to life.

Tony Stewart in second when he spun out by himself and hit the wall.

But the real excitement was at the end when Kyle Busch was leading on the last lap and spun out and then it was between Marcos Ambrose and Brad Keslewoski. Jeff Gordon came in to the tenth place until he hit the wall due to all the oil on the track...NASCK shoulda had that cleaned up instead of going for the checkered flag like that. Gordon came home 21st instead. Am not happy about Jeff Gordon. But am excited that Marcos Ambrose got the win.

Here is the top ten finishes of Watkins Glen race:

1. Marcos Ambrose

2. Brad Keselowski

3. Jimmie Johnson

4. Clint Bowyer

5. Sam Hornish Jr

6. Greg Biffle

7. Kyle Busch

8. Matt Kenseth

9. Regan Smith

10. Martin Truex Jr

We are back to turning lefts next week at Michigan...Jeff Gordon's favorite track. :D

Well the Sprint Cup Series will be racing at Michigan today at noon on ESPN...and I am really hoping to see Jeff Gordon rebound from last week's disappointing finish. My opinion, of course. ;) This is the track that Dale Jr won at last this year...MICHIGAN. Hope the best for all Hendrick cars (personally) but hope every one of our favorite drivers will have a fun and safe race today.

Here is the top ten starting line up for today's race:

1. Mark Martin

2. Carl Edwards

3. Jimmie Johnson

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Kasey Kahne

6. Trevor Bayne

7. Martin Truex Jr

8. Marcos Ambrose

9. Landon Cassill

10. Paul Menard

(Jeff Gordon starts 11th, Tony Stewart 14th, Dale Jr 22, and David Ragen 37th today.)

LET'S GO RACING BOYS!!!!! :D

Thanks for the updates Garrett. I've lost all hopes that David Ragen will get his second career victory any time soon.

Hmm, I never even heard of Landon Cassill.

Aww Roger don't give up on David...he may need your support. Perhaps it is just a bad year. Look at Gordon's year...as he is now in the garage thanks to dang engine problems. I am getting to the point where I am no longer surprised when problems him and his team. :(:cry: Very disappointed and frustrated right now.

Anyways that is jut me...

You have never heard of Landon Cassill? Don't know how you possibly not know who Landon Cassill is...LOL. Perhaps because they never talk about him or show him in the race. Very sad really. He is a good driver with a team with not as much money to run on as the top team has...so he is normally mid pack or lower probably. But do have some info for you...Landon Cassill is from Iowa...actually he is from a town that is a half hour away from where I am from/live. His parents own a car store there by the name...really hope the best for him and his team.

Well the Michigan race has just gotten over and this 24 fan is once again disappointed...more like it, this 24 and 48 fan is disappointed. But that is just me...

Mark Martin started from the pole and had the fastest car at the start of the race until Bobby Labonte and Juan Pablo Montoya got into each other that collected then race leader Mark Martin and second place driver, Kasey Kahne and sent Mark Martin into the pit road wall...and hard. Mark Martin's scary wreck What a scary accident and am so glad that Martin and everyone involved was OK after the accident.

Tony Stewart was in, out, and back into the garage with HENDRICK engine problems. Later on Jeff Gordon went into the garage with engine problems of his own and was in there for I think around thirty laps or something like that. Earlier Gordon let Jr know his displeasure at him for making it go four wide and then sliding in front of Gordon.

Brad Keselowski had another great race and was able to beat Jimmie Johnson out of the pit roads close to the end of the race. Jimmie was later able to pass him with ten laps to go only for his engine to blow with five laps to go. Greg Biffle had passed Keslewski earlier and on the restart was able to hold off Keselowski and Kasey kahne who had a good charge on the final restart.

Here is the top ten finishes of the race:

1. Greg Biffle

2. Brad Keselwoski

3. Kasey Kahne

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr

5. Marcos Ambrose

6. Carl Edwards

7. Clint Bowyer

8. Ryan Newman

9. Paul Menard

10. Martin Truex Jr.

We are off to one of my favorite races of the season...the night race at Bristol! The one race I look forward to...sadly I will be out of town and will most likely miss it. So I will have to do my write up next week once I return home Monday or Tuesday next week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Just don't forget...Sprint Cup Race will be next Saturday night.

Well the Bristol race has just gotten done with and Denny Hamlin has won his first race at Bristol. Jimmie Johnson came home second. Jeff Gordon came home third.

To be honest I only watched the lat half of the race and even that was spotty since I had to drive through some of it and was drafting my football team.

Seemed like there was some rubbing going on...including between Matt Kenseth and Tony Stewart. THey were going for the lead when Matt and Tony got into to wreck Tony...Tony got mad and threw his helmet at Matt on pit road. Could be wrong, but do see penalities coming to the 14 team for that.

Several drivers clinched their chase including Dale Jr, Greg Biffle, Jimmie Johnson. That is all that I am sure that I knew of.

Here is the top ten finishers of the Bristol race:

1. Denny Hamlin

2. Jimmie Johnson

3. Jeff Gordon

4. Brian Vickers

5. Marcos Ambrose

6. Kyle Busch

7. Clint Bowyer

8. Joey Lagano

9. Paul Menard

10. Martin Truex Jr

(Dale finished 12, Stewart finished 27, and Ragen finished 32)

We are off to Atlanta next Sunday...where Jeff Gordon won last year. :) Hopefully he can get a wild card slot next week. My opinion of course. :D

Thanks for the update Garrett and thanks for posting David Ragen's place at the end.

Maybe heading off to northern Georgia next week will give (Georgia native) Ragen some luck.

Hey, did you see the Miranda Lambert music video with Danika Patrick in it?

Not a problem Roger...perhaps while you are in Georgia next weekend you can go to the race and root Ragen ... your presense at the track may give him the extra boost he needs for a win. :D Hope you enjoy your trip.

No I missed Miranda's music video with Patrick in it...will have to keep an eye open for it. :) Thanks for the info.

Well I apologize for my slow preview of today's race...shame on me! LOL.

The boys are racing at Atlanta today...or Hotlanta as they often call it. This is the race where Jeff Gordon won at last year...though it was raced on Monday due to rain. It is also the race where twenty years ago Jeff Gordon made his first appearance in NASCAR...it was also Richard Petty's last race. Though back then, it was raced on November 15, 1992 - the seasons last race. Back then, it was the season's last race of the season...they had 29 races to their season that year. After today's race we have eleven more races left of the 2012 season...Richmond next week will be the last regular season race. Then Chicagoland after that will be the start of the ten week chase...so depressing that the season is that close to being done. :(

Anyway today's race at Atlanta will start at 6:30 ET on ESPN...here is the top ten starting drivers:

1. Tony Stewart

2. Greg Biffle

3. Kyle Busch

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Jeff Gordon

6. Mark Martin

7. Denny Hamlin

8. Jimmie Johnson

9. Joey Lagono

10. Marcos Ambrose (who had a birthday yesterday...happy b-day Marcos!)

Well today's race is crucial for those drivers outside of the top ten...they need to win (sorry to say Gordon is in that category this year...) they need to win today and next week if they are going to get in the chase in two weeks. Right now the drivers 11 -19 in points are going for the wild car slots who are now sitting with Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch.

Talking about Lagono...I should wait til Tuesday to make sure it is accurate, but I have read this morning that his car owner, Joe /JD Gibbs, have said they will be coming forth Tuessday to say Matt Kenseth will be driving Joey Lagono's number 20 car next year. It has been rumored that Kenseth will be going there ever since Kenths has made it known that he is leaving his team he has been with his entire Sprint Cup career with...Roucsh, that he would be going to Gibbs. But Kenseth has been sealed lips about where he is going so it wasn't official. Looks like Tuesday it will be official. It also said Lagono's future is currently up in the air...Gibbs may look into having a fourth car next year (Gibbs only has three right now...Lagono, Hamlin, and Kyle Busch. Car owners are limited to own up to four teams.). Will make sure to put it in the news section once it is made official....just giving y'all a heads up.

In case y'all are interested in a little history of NASCAR, here is an article about Richard Petty's last and Jeff Gordon's first race of the season. Richard Petty and Jeff Gordon. Good NASCAR history of the 1992 season finale as well (not just focused on Gordon...)...

The Sprint race at Atlanta has just gotten over and do have mixed emotions about it all. The first half was uneventful with Kyle Busch leading a lot of laps, then Harvick led alot of laps as did Denny Hamlin.

The last half of the race was a bit more exciting with some of the drivers chasing the wild card slots had problems. Starting with Carl Edwards as his engine failed on him and ended his night early...then Jimmie Johnson wrecked. ESPN seemed to think it was Jimmie, but to me it looked like he got hit from behind from Sam Hornish Jr and that sent him into Ryan Newman who is looking for the wild card chase. (Well I just saw the replay a couple of times, it does look like Jimmie went up the track. Still disappointing for the 48 team.)

Jeff Gordon had an up and down night today and he fought hard to come back to chase after Martin Truex Jr until Jamie McMurray's tire blew with seven or so laps to go. Denny Hamlin was able to beat Truex out of the pits to take the lead. Gordon restarted third and was able to pass for second. Came close to passing Hamlin, but not quite enough. Gordon came home second.

Here is the top ten finishers of the Atlanta race:

1. Denny Hamlin

2. Jeff Gordon

3. Brad Keselowski

4. Martin Truex Jr

5. Kevin Harvick

6. Kyle Busch

7. Dale Earnhardt Jr

8. Paul Menard

9. Matt Kenseth

10. Mark Martin

We are off to Richmond next SATURDAY NIGHT for some more night racing, this time short track racing. It will be the last race of the regular season where several drivers will have to go for the win to get into the chase or to keep their wild card slot. Drivers like Kasey Kahne, Kyle Busch, Jeff Gordon, Ryan Newman, and Carl Edwards will have to go for the win or a great race and hope the others don't win. Richmond is a track Kyle Busch is good at...

So as George Jones and Sawyer Brown has said...The Race is on. As for me...am hoping Jeff Gordon will be able to grab one of them wild card slots. He came close to tonight...just not quiet close enough.

Thanks for the summary Garrett. I made it up to about lap 175, but it was too late for me to see the end. I looked up some of the highlights on NASCAR.com this morning and checked the full result list. I see Danica made it to the end this time, even if it was a few laps down. With Home Depot ending their sponsorship of the #14 car and the Army pulling their sponsorship of the #39 that leaves Danica with the only fully funded car in the Stewart-Haas team next year.

Thanks for the summary Garrett. I made it up to about lap 175, but it was too late for me to see the end. I looked up some of the highlights on NASCAR.com this morning and checked the full result list. I see Danica made it to the end this time, even if it was a few laps down. With Home Depot ending their sponsorship of the #14 car and the Army pulling their sponsorship of the #39 that leaves Danica with the only fully funded car in the Stewart-Haas team next year.

Wow Hoss...didn't even think about that with Danica and sponsors. Stewart is a big name, he should be able to grab someone...hopefully Newman as well. Heard that Dupont MAY be leaving Gordon next year...not sure where the person online got that info at so I am not holding my breath until I read it on NASCAR.com or another NASCAR site. Sad to see sponsorships drying up like this...:(

Well this upcoming race for the Sprint Cup is Saturday night is at 7:30 on ABC...and is is a big one. It is the last race until the chase starts...the last ten races. And eight drivers are chasing to get into the chase's twelve car field. Drivers like: Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, Ryan Newman, Kyle Busch, Kasey Kahne, Paul Menard, Marcos Ambrose, and Joey Logano. Though just read an article that said that in reality the wild card chase (the last two spots of the twelve car roster) is really between Jeff Gordon and Kyle Busch. Kasey Kahne is the only one with two wins (at this moment) as the rest only have one. For Jeff Gordon to get into the chase he needs to be 13 cars ahead of Kyle Busch (which would equal out to thirteen points...) As for Kyle Busch he needs to win the race or to finish 12 points ahead of Jeff Gordon. (Am sure the other drivers have a chance at the chase as well...but mainly have to do better than Kyle and Jeff).

That alone makes this 24 fan really nervous...but to add to it that Richmond, where they will be racing Saturday night, is a race that Kyle Busch is great at. Don't know Gordon's stat for this track, but do think he has won here before. Am hoping he will do it again. Dang...I wish Gordon was locked in on points right now, but with all the bad luck that plagued him earlier (hopefully all that bad luck is passed and he'll have all good luck for the rest of the season!) he is lucky to be in contention for the chase at all.

With all that said, I don't know how much of the race I will be able to watch if at all since I am going out. Hate missing a race...especially one this important, but oh well I guess. Perhaps this will help me not to get so crazy as I know I'll be nervous for the 24 team. :-o Perhaps I'll remember to breathe again Sunday morning.

Though I will definately read up on it and see what has happened (especially if I don't catch the end of the race, but am hoping to at least watch that part!) and will write my review as well as the new points.

All that means, is there is ONLY ELEVEN MORE RACES of the season left...sigh. Already dreading the off season. LOL :roll:

Well y'all looks like I lied to y'all...well not really, just plans have changed and looks like I'll be home to watch the race tomorrow night. Don't know if I should be relieved to do so or not...kinda making me more nervous to know I'll be watching the race. Hopefully I'll remember to breathe sometime during the race...LOL.

Well here is the fist ten starting positions for tomorrow night's race:

1. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

2. Jeff Gordon

3. Regan Smith

4. Clint Bower

5. Jimmie Johnson

6. Mark Martin

7. Denny Hamlin

8. Joey Logano

9. Martin Truex Jr.

10. Brad Keselowski

I will make sure to write my normal post race review after the race is over and will include who will be seeded in the top twelve of the chase. I think y'all know who I hope to be in the chase after tomorrow night. :D

Well NASCAR is rain delayed...they are waiting for the jet dryers to dry the track, but they are expecting more rain at Richmond. Guess I'll be listening to them talking for the next two hours before they either go racing or post pone it til tomorrow. Am not happy with this at all...

Brad Daughtery of ESPN NASCAR announcer is not helping at all. For the past three weeks he has said several times how Jeff Gordon and his team is done for and how he can't make the chase. Am tired of his negativity based on Jeff Gordon and his team...Jeff needs to go and win this race and show Brad just how great he and his team is. Personally, (my opinion), am so ready for NASCAR to be back on FOX and wish they would stay on FOX. FOX announcers are positive about ALL drivers and not just SOME drivers. Tired of all the negativity on ESPN and ABC.

Talking of which they were just talking to Carl Edwards and now Jeff Gordon will be in the studio next to face Brad and his negativity...

Sorry all that is of my opinion...sorry to vent. :(

Well the Richmond race has just gotten over for the Sprint Cup Series and it was an up and down race for everyone I think. The race started out ninety minutes late due to rain delay. Dale Jr started out on pole and had let Jeff Gordon take the lead early on before racing up and taking the lead back from Gordon.

Gordon started second and went for the lead as I said, but once passed he lost his car and lost his car fast. Was very disappointed when Gordon lost a lap.

Fifty or so laps under the half way mark, it had began to rain again to bring out the caution and then the red flag and they covered up the cars. Jeff Gordon was 22nd (I think) at that time. One of the pit road reporters had talked to Jeff Gordon (as well as other drivers) and Jeff sounded so disappointed on how bad his car was. Saying they just missed the set up...

Meanwhile Kyle was in or around the top ten for the most of the first half of the race, complained his car was junk several times and was at one point like 24 points ahead of Jeff Gordon.

They eventually went back to green thinking there could be more rain...though only went to caution one other time for a brief sprinkle later on. Not much accidents or major wrecks to talk about. David Ragen spun out once (Sorry Roger...David was shown on TV tonight, but the way you want to see him.) and then Juan Pablo Montoya spun Clint Bowyer out.

The Wild Card Chase was a big story through out the night with all the scenerios that could have happened. Kyle Busch continued to have problems. Denny Hamlin led a lot of laps and Ryan Newman had led a few laps after passing his boss, Tony Stewart (who battled from like 28th starting spot). If Newman woulda won, he coulda made the chase...

(Sorry I know I am going out of sequence right now...but can't exactly remember how it all went perfectly.)

As I said, Kyle continued to have problems, while Jeff Gordon excelled after they came back to green from red flag. He was fast and after the caution for the sprinkles, Gordon got his lap down lap back to be on the lead lap. He was passing cars and at a few points throughout the last half of the race, was the fastest car on the lead lap.

Don't know about if you all watched the race and how close you were paying attention to the points, but this 24 fan kept paying attention to where Gordon was and to where Kyle was. Jeff needed to finish 13 spots ahead of Kyle Busch to make the chase...

Clint Bowyer ended up winning the race and running out of gas right afterwards (even thanked Montoya for wrecking him when they interviewed him in the winner's circle.).

Jeff Gordon on the other hand came home second...and guess what y'all? He has MADE THE CHASE by three points over Kyle Busch who finished two laps down.

This has been a pretty long race starting around 8:30 central time and ending around 12:30 central time...four hours isn't too long, but when it comes that late? Never remembered staying up that late for a race...here it is 1:14 central time and I am up writing my report. HA...so if it isn't all that good, that may be why. ;)

The outcome of the race is well worth it though...love seeing Jeff Gordon this happy. He was so disappointed when they talked to him d uring the rain delay If elt so bad for him. Jeff said during his interview on Press Pass "Second place went from so disappointing last week to feeliing like a win this week." :)

The first half of the race I was ready to claim that Gordon was not going to be in the chase to gaining hope when they went back racing to being real nervous with fifty or so laps to go. Jeff Gordon is a great example to NEVER GIVE UP HOPE, NO MATTER WHAT! (This past paragraph is of my own opinion.) I am also excited that Hendrick has all FOUR drivers/cars in the chase...just awesome! :) Once again, my opinion...

Well I will stop my rambling...here is the top ten finishes of the Richmond race:

1. Clint Bowyer

2. Jeff Gordon

3. Mark Martin

4. Tony Stewart

5. Matt Kenseth

6. Jeff Burton

7. Brad Keselowski

8. Ryan Newman

9. Greg Biffle

10. Kevin Harvick

Here is the top twelve chase drivers:

1. Denny Hamlin +3 points

2. Jimmie Johnson

3. Tony Stewart

4. Brad Keselowski

5. Greg Biffle

6. Clint Bowyer

7. Dale Earnhardt Jr

8. Matt Kenseth

9. Kevin Harvick

10. Martin Truex Jr.

-------------------

WILD CARD SLOTS

11. Kasey Kahne

12. Jeff Gordon

NASCAR seeds the chase drivers to amount of wins the drivers have...so the driver with the most wins starts with the leads points. If that makes sense. Right now, there is ONLY 12 points seperating Denny Hamlin from Jeff Gordon. The top twelve drivers are the only drivers with a chance to win the championship while all the other drivers will be racing for a million dollars that the 13th place driver gets at the end of the season.

The chase will start next week (SUNDAY) at Chicagoland...

Thanks for the detailed update Garrett, including the spin out incident with Ragen.

Congratulations on your man Jeff pulling through.

Since David Ragen is out I guess I'll be pulling for Dale Jr only because he's the biggest redneck in the bunch. (unless you can convince me that one of the other contenders is a bigger redneck)

If Dale doesn't win I'll be pulling for JG just 'cause I like you so much.

As far as your Brad Daugherty comments goes, isn't he the former center for the Cleveland Cavs? (if I have him mixed up with someone else I'm going to be real embarressed) You have to consider that Cleveland is the hardest luck city in America when it comes to sports. You have to expect that the folks from there would be negative.

By the way, I knew a guy who was Brad Daugherty's auto mechanic when he was playing in Cleveland. I use the word "knew" because he died about 5 years ago.

Thanks for the detailed update Garrett, including the spin out incident with Ragen.

Congratulations on your man Jeff pulling through.

Since David Ragen is out I guess I'll be pulling for Dale Jr only because he's the biggest redneck in the bunch. (unless you can convince me that one of the other contenders is a bigger redneck)

If Dale doesn't win I'll be pulling for JG just 'cause I like you so much.

As far as your Brad Daugherty comments goes, isn't he the former center for the Cleveland Cavs? (if I have him mixed up with someone else I'm going to be real embarressed) You have to consider that Cleveland is the hardest luck city in America when it comes to sports. You have to expect that the folks from there would be negative.

By the way, I knew a guy who was Brad Daugherty's auto mechanic when he was playing in Cleveland. I use the word "knew" because he died about 5 years ago.

You are very welcome Roger. I enjoyed writing that review...if it finished differently, probably wouldn't have been so excited to write it like that. Thanks for the congrats on Gordon. I can now say I am excited for the chase :).

Did think of youwhen Ragen spun out...just not his year. Ah another Jr fan huh? How 'bout this...I'll tell JG to stay out in the sun today and get sun burned on his neck...that way he'll have a red neck. That enough redneck for you? HA HA HA.

I am just excited to have all four Hendrick drivers in the chase...

And yeah...Brad Daughtery did play pro basketball but don't know what team...that could be it. Really hope he is eating his words now that Jeff Gordon is in the chase. So glad Jeff Gordon proved him wrong. No matter where Brad played basketball...

I am sorry about your friend Roger

Edited by Garrett Duke

Well the Chase starts tomorrow at Chicago Land at 1:00 PM EST on ESPN. This is where the top twelve will put everything on the line to earn the championship in November and the rest of the field will be racing for 13th place and a million dollars. As of right now there is a total of twelve points seperating twelveth place Jeff Gordon and first place Denny Hamlin in the top twelve...meaning ANYTHING is possible. For anyone in the top twelve in points...even Jeff Gordon who has been struck with bad luck for half of the regular season if not more so - he had squeaked into the chase last week thanks to bad luck turning good for him and bad luck striking Kyle Busch.

Oh and talking about Jeff Gordon, guess I should warn y'all before you see him tomorrow. He had told his crew last week if made the chase he would bring his stache back...he had a mustache twenty years ago when he came into NASCAR to help distinguish him old enough to be a driver. And well as Jeff had said via Facebook, he is a man of his word. So the stache is back. LOL. His drive for five is ON!!! :)

Here is the top ten starting position for the Chicago race tomorrow...

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Aric Almorila

3. Matt Kenseth

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

5. Carl Edwards

6. Kasey Kahne

7. Regan Smith

8. Denny Hamlin

9. Clint Bowyer

10. Joey Logano

(Jeff Gordon will start 19th, David Regan starts 37th, and Tony Stewart will start 29th tomorrow...)

Well the Chase starts tomorrow at Chicago Land at 1:00 PM EST on ESPN. This is where the top twelve will put everything on the line to earn the championship in November and the rest of the field will be racing for 13th place and a million dollars. As of right now there is a total of twelve points seperating twelveth place Jeff Gordon and first place Denny Hamlin in the top twelve...meaning ANYTHING is possible. For anyone in the top twelve in points...even Jeff Gordon who has been struck with bad luck for half of the regular season if not more so - he had squeaked into the chase last week thanks to bad luck turning good for him and bad luck striking Kyle Busch.

Oh and talking about Jeff Gordon, guess I should warn y'all before you see him tomorrow. He had told his crew last week if made the chase he would bring his stache back...he had a mustache twenty years ago when he came into NASCAR to help distinguish him old enough to be a driver. And well as Jeff had said via Facebook, he is a man of his word. So the stache is back. LOL. His drive for five is ON!!! :)

Here is the top ten starting position for the Chicago race tomorrow...

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Aric Almorila

3. Matt Kenseth

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

5. Carl Edwards

6. Kasey Kahne

7. Regan Smith

8. Denny Hamlin

9. Clint Bowyer

10. Joey Logano

(Jeff Gordon will start 19th, David Regan starts 37th, and Tony Stewart will start 29th tomorrow...)

Oops I lied...well not really. But thanks to an engine change, Dale Jr and the 88 team will give up their fourth place starting spot for tomorrow's Chicagoland race and will start way in the back in the 43rd spot. :( Not exactly a great way to start his 2012 chase...hopefully he'll have a fast car for tomorrow's race. :(