2012 Sprint Cup Series race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Sprint Cup will be racing at Dover tomorrow...be the last time on FOX. :( Mark Martin and Jimmie Johnson will be on the front row to start the race...sadly I will not be able to watch all of it due to a birthday party. :cry: But maybe this way, Jeff Gordon will earn his first win of the season...LOL. But will read up on it and will let y'all know what happens the best that I can. Hate missing races...especially when they are on FOX. Wish they could stay on Fox all season long...

Well I got to see the first ten laps on tv and listened to about a hundred or so on the radio. There was a 13 car accident on lap 9 that put Tony Stewart, Juan Pablo Montoya and others in the garage. Stewart and Dave Blaney came out after many laps...it red flagged the race for twenty minutes.

Here is the top ten finishes:

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Kevin Harvick

3. Matt Kenseth

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr

5. Clint Bowyer

6. Aric Almirola

7. Martin Truex Jr

8. Joey Lagano

9. Kasey Kahne

10. Marcos Ambrose

Jeff Gordon finished a disappointing thirteenth after having the fastest car...by the sounds of it. Him and JJ. Sounds like he got caught on pit road due to a debri caution and a loose wheel somewhere along the way.

David Ragen...who was on my fantasy team...he finished 21st. Sorry to say don't know if something happened to him or if he just had a mediocre type car. I went to my uncle's birthday party so I missed most of the race. :(

Hopefully we both will have drivers finishing in the top five next Sunday at Pocono. It will be on Sunday at 1:00 EST...on TNT.

Well the Sprint Cup Series will be racing at the tricky triangle...Pocono...tomorrow. Remember, the race will be on TNT...not FOX. Noon on TNT.

Here is the top ten qualifiers:

1. Joey Lagano

2. Carl Edwards

3. Paul Menard

4. Kyle Busch

5. Denny Hamlin

6. Mark Martin

7. Regan Smith

8. Dale Earnhardt Jr

9. Marcos Ambrose

10. Kasey Kahne

(Jeff Gordon 12th, Tony Stewart 22, Jimmie Johnson 24th, David Ragen 34th - those are the drivers I know who have fans on the site -including myself. If anyone has someone else they like and wish I would write more of, please let me know and I will make note to include them next week.)

Well as of right now I don't know if I will be able to watch it or not...but am HOPING to do so...but may have an aunt coming over that may interrupt it for me. I don't know right now. Either way I will make sure to do my review after the race.

Pocono is known as the tricky triangle and is a triangle and not the normal oval. Denny Hamlin is known to be good at this track (if memory serves me right, his rookie year he won both races that season.). But who knows who will be good since they have repaved the track since the last time they were at Pocono.

David Ragen...34th? Shucks, I was hoping he'd have a break-out year but so far he's been struggling.

I'm from Pennsylvania but the Poconos is way over on the other end of the state from where I live on Lake Erie. We went there (for the first time) last year for my wife's 50th birthday but didn't see the triangle track. It's reputation as a tough place to race is certainly well known. I hope all the drivers have a safe race.

As always, thanks for the update Garrett!

David Ragen...34th? Shucks, I was hoping he'd have a break-out year but so far he's been struggling.

I'm from Pennsylvania but the Poconos is way over on the other end of the state from where I live on Lake Erie. We went there (for the first time) last year for my wife's 50th birthday but didn't see the triangle track. It's reputation as a tough place to race is certainly well known. I hope all the drivers have a safe race.

As always, thanks for the update Garrett!

Well Roger, David is a young and upcoming driver who races for a unfunded team...meaning they run on lower money. Hopefully he will be able to break out of that and do better. Qualifying helps a little bit but it matters where they finish more than where they start.

Too bad you live on the other side of the state perhaps you could go and give us a live report. :D Then again for noise and all the cars is is opt to bring, perhaps it is a good thing.

Hope they all have a fun and safe race.

Well sorry y'all to disappoint y'all for the second week in a row, but I did NOT get to watch the Pocono race due to my own...stupidity. Sorry but that is how I feel right now. Went on a picnic with the family thinking I would skip on the hike and go home to watch the last half the race to realize half way home that I don't have the keys to my parents' house...and I don't have cable at my apartment. :oops: So I am sitting here hating the fact that I have to miss this race as well. According to NASCAR.com a minute or so ago they have ten laps to go...

My only wish is that Gordon will do great without me. . .:mad:

Well the race is over and Jeff Gordon did NOT win without me...in fact he finishes 19th it looks. By what I read it sounds like had to pit at the end due to running out of gas to lose a top five finish. The story of his season thus far...

Don't have much detail for y'all today and my computer I am at right now is too slow to look much up right now but will give you the top ten finishers:

1. Joey Lagano

2. Mark Martin

3. Tony Stewart

4. Jimmie Johnson

5. Denny Hamlin

6. Clint Bowyer

7. Matt Kenseth

8. Dale Earnhardt Jr

9. Paul Menard

10. Jamie McMurray

(Roger - David Ragen finishes 27th today.)

Onto Michigan next Sunday...Jeff Gordon's favorite track.

(Roger - David Ragen finishes 27th today.)

Onto Michigan next Sunday...Jeff Gordon's favorite track.

It looks like my hopes for the northern Georgia boy are fading away for this year. At least he's young. I suppose I should probably start liking two drivers or following the rest of the season is going to be pretty boring.

Since you're such a faithful JG fan maybe I should hope he wins Michigan. Just kidding. GO Jimmie Johnson!

You trader Roger. Just kidding. Know how you feel...it is a long season. Having two favorite drivers to watch makes it more interesting and gives you more to watch for. :p Though I think it should be Jeff Gordon...he needs your support. :D LOL...Though I do like Jimmie Johnson as MY second favorite driver so you did pick a good second driver to follow.

LOL

You're a Cubs fan and I'm a Pirates fan so we both know the value of having an alternate team that we like BUT that doesn't mean we like them more and doesn't mean we'd root for them if they were facing our favorite team.

After all these years of a bitter, hateful sports rivalry here on the HazzardNet it's nice to know we finally found common ground and both have JJ as our second favorite driver. If you're really interested in ending this insanity of our constant ugly feuding I suggest that you immediately abandon Jeff Gordon as your favorite and make David Ragen your #1 driver. If you don't, I'll have to assume that you're interested in keeping our rivalry alive.

Also, you should immediately dump the Cubs for the Pirates. That would go a long ways in proving you're serious about wanting to live in a peaceful environment here on the HazzardNet.

And one more thing, you should bench your best players on the weeks that you're playing me in our fantasy baseball league.

I hope I'm not being unreasonable. If you think I am that's proof that you're unreasonable.

NOT A CHANCE, ROGER!

First of all, I don't have a second favorite baseball team. If I had to chose a second one, I would go for the Yankees I guess since they got Jeter and I know more players, but don't do the AL thing if I can help it. Baseball = Cubs...Cubs = baseball to me. And if you think I would ever trade them as my favorite team, especially the Pirates, you are sadly mistaken.

Second of all, JEFF GORDON will ALWAYS be my FAVORITE NASCAR driver. End of story. You and David Ragen are just outta luck.

Third of all, I only play the best of the best in my fantasy team. Especially facing YOU. :lol: Prepare to lose, Roger. . .

So I guess you can say that I am not interested in ending this nasty rivalry of your's...that is unless you have gained a better sense of taste in sports and go for the CHICAGO CUBS and JEFF GORDON. Sounds like a great idea to me. :rofl:

(Oh by the way...tell your buddy Tim Lincecum a happy 28th birthday...since he is on one of my fantasy teams...)

Hope you know I say all that cause I care and hope only for the best for you...hurts me deeply that you go for such teams that you do. Perhaps some of my GREAT taste will rub off on you. I can only hope... :rofl:

BTW...GO CUBS GO!!!!!! GO JEFF GORDON GO!!!!!!!!!

LOL

You're a Cubs fan and I'm a Pirates fan so we both know the value of having an alternate team that we like BUT that doesn't mean we like them more and doesn't mean we'd root for them if they were facing our favorite team.

After all these years of a bitter, hateful sports rivalry here on the HazzardNet it's nice to know we finally found common ground and both have JJ as our second favorite driver. If you're really interested in ending this insanity of our constant ugly feuding I suggest that you immediately abandon Jeff Gordon as your favorite and make David Ragen your #1 driver. If you don't, I'll have to assume that you're interested in keeping our rivalry alive.

Also, you should immediately dump the Cubs for the Pirates. That would go a long ways in proving you're serious about wanting to live in a peaceful environment here on the HazzardNet.

And one more thing, you should bench your best players on the weeks that you're playing me in our fantasy baseball league.

I hope I'm not being unreasonable. If you think I am that's proof that you're unreasonable.

The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will race at Brooklyn Michigan tomorrow at noon on TNT. They have repaved Michigan's track since the last time they visited and seems like they have had issues with tires during practices and qualifying. HOpe that won't be a factor in who will win tomorrow...

Here is the top ten qualifiers:

1. Marcos Ambrose

2. Kevin Harvick

3. Greg Biffle

4. Kasey Kahne

5. Ryan Newman

6. Matt Kenseth

7. Trevor Bayne

8. Tony Stewart

9. Joey Lagano (who won the Nationwide Series race today...Saturday)

10. Jimmie Johnson

This is the track where Dale Earnhardt Jr last won at four years ago...he starts 17th at Michigan. Long time to wait for a win, but with how his season is going, it is bound to come.

David Ragen starts 38th and Jeff Gordon will start 28th.

I don't know as of yet if I will get to watch the whole race or not...again. But it is Father's Day...but will do my write up either tomorrow night when I get home or Monday afternoon whenever I get the time to get online again. Hope to be reporting a fun and safe race for ALL the drivers.

Hope all you Fathers will have a great FATHER'S DAY!

Well thanks to the dang rain delay they were in, I only got to watch sixty percent or so of the race on TV...the rest I listened to on the radio on the way home. Glad for the radio, but I am a visual person and felt like I missed alot by just listening to the race. But it was better than nothing.

They had two cautions that NASCAR put out due to the rain and the new tires...Jimmie Johnson and a few had tire issues. With the tires blistering or the chord showing through.

Trevor Bayne and another younger driver (can't recall his name at the moment) had engine failures towards the start of the race. Kurt Busch had something with his car where he spun out to cause the first caution and then he did it again towards the end. Kyle Busch was quick to make it to the front of the race after starting towards the rear of the field...only for his engine to blow. Third race in a row that he had to take his car to the garage. Have to admit, never have been a Busch fan of either brother. But have to admit Kyle has came a long way and he is starting to grow on me (he'll never be considered my favorite) but I did feel bad for him.

Jimmie Johnson and Carl Edwards both had to start at the rear of the field due to changing their engine and both worked their way up towards the front, but never conteded for the win. Jeff Gordon who started 28th was slow to move to the front, but he did and led a few laps under green flag pit stops. He was second for a long time but came home sixth. Am happy with a top ten, but he NEEDS to get WINS if he wants to make the chase.

Well y'all I shoulda put money where my words were with Dale Jr when I stated his win is about to come...since he broke his FOUR YEAR winless streak...143 races without that beloved W next to his name. But it came to an end yesterday as he led a lot of laps...playing cat and mouse with Smoke...and went on to win the race. Wish I could have seen it and not just heard it. Am very happy and excited for the entire 88 team...which had been Gordon's team a couple of years ago. Very hard earned win.

Though it does leave me questioning NASCAR a bit. A car was on the apron, so it was off the track, but the announcers on the radio made it sound like the tire was ripping off the wheel or something like that. Well that was with six or so laps to go...and NASCAR did NOT throw a caution. Which I normally would agree with. If it is off the track, there is no need to throw a caution. But there has been other times where a car was off the track and they throw a caution...don't get me wrong. I do understand. Jr is the most popular driver and when he wins it is good for the sport as a whole. But at the same time if they put the field back together again for another restart for something like that, it should be done everytime. Not depending on who is leading the race at that time.

Though as I said, the win was well earned and well deserved and am happy for the 88 team on breaking their winnless streak. Next time it's Gordon's turn to win. :D

Here is the top ten finishers of the race:

1. Dale Jr

2. Tony Stewart

3. Matt Kenseth

4. Greg Biffle

5. Jimmie Johnson

6. Jeff Gordon

7. Clint Bowyer

8. Juan Pablo Montoya

9. Marcos Ambrose

10. Kevin Harvick

(Roger - David Ragen finished 23rd yesterday.)

Well Johnson won a couple of races this season so far, Kasey Kahne has won a race, and now Dale Jr. Gotta be Gordon's turn and they are road racing next Sunday. Gordon had been named the road race king and am hoping he lives up to that title next Sunday. :D Though he has a couple other road racers to deal with such as Marcos Ambrose, JP Montoya, and probably Boris Said.

Thanks for the review Garrett. There sure are a lot of folks happy about Dale Jr's win after 143 races of not finishing first. I know NASCAR is because he's their poster boy. The average (non NASCAR fan) on the street has never heard of Jimmie Johnson but everybody knows Dale Jr. so it was a big win for NASCAR in general. Poor JJ, after all those titles he's still second to Junior.

Thanks for keeping me updated about David Ragen Garrett.

You are welcome Roger.

You are right about Jr Roger. This is good for the sport as whole. Junior Nation is one happy nation this week. ;) Guess you can include me in there...though he is my third favorite...not first. Gordon will always be number one in my book.

You are welcome about Ragen. I like Ragen and wish him the best. For him and you.

Jr may have more fans and a bigger name than Gordon or JJ...but they all drive for the same man (though JJ's car is majority owned by Gordon) and that makes them all great to me. As well as Kasey Kahne. GO TEAM HENDRICK! :)

And I root for the Cubs because I like you so much.

But when they play the Pirates you're my biggest enemy. Grrrrrrr!

Can't help it I like the better team...HA HA. GO CUBS :escape:

Well the NASCAR Sprint Cup boys will be turning left and RIGHT tomorrow at Sonoma at the year's first of two road races on the circuit. And for once in a long time, I know I will be around to watch it...all of it. :popcorn: That is if it doesn't rain...it better NOT rain at Sonoma tomorrow.

Here is the top ten starting position drivers for tomorrow's race:

1. Marcos Ambrose (second pole for the driver from down under! Way to go Marcos!)

2. Jeff Gordon

3. Jimmie Johnson

4. Greg Biffle

5. Martin Truex Jr

6. Clint Bowyer

7. Kyle Busch

8. Kurt Busch

9. Matt Kenseth

10. Ryan Newman

The race will start at 3:00 EST on ESPN...

Well I will try this again since my dumb computer has been fighting me all afternoon and lost my last post. :( Am frustrated right now.

Anyway...

The race has just got over and went eighty or so laps caution free. NOt a lot of excitement through the first three fourths of the race. Ambrose led the first few before Gordon passed him to lead a few laps before his car went away on him. Martin Truex Jr led a lot of laps as well as Clint Bowyer.

Jeff Gordon was doing well until he ran out of gas with thirty laps to go...luckily he was close to pit road when he ran out and was able to slowly make it to his pit stall. But lost a lot of time on pit road. Went in third, came out 15th. He raced hard to come home sixth. Not the win he should have had, but am happy with it with all things considered. But if Gordon wants to get into the chase come chase time, he NEEDS to win races. Not just get top tens. But am happy with it for now.

Jr got involved in an accident on the final restart and come home 23rd after winning last week. Roger - David Ragen made it home 27th today.

Kurt Busch gave Clint Bowyer a good run today, fighting hard for the win. His back end of the car was going out and got passed by Tony Stewart on the final couple of laps. Clint Bowyer went on to get his first win for Michael Waltrip Racing.

Here is the final ten drivers at Sonoma:

1. Clint Bowyer

2. Tony Stewart

3. Kurt Busch

4. Brian Vickers (his third race of the season...overcame a speeding penalty on pit road)

5. Jimmie Johnson

6. Jeff Gordon

7. Greg Biffle

8. Marcos Ambrose

9. AJ Allmendinger

10. Joey Lagono

We are going NIGHT racing next SATURDAY night at Kentucky. The race will start 6:30 EST on TNT.

The Sprint Cup races at Kentucky TOMORROW night at 6:30 EST on TNT...or you can watch the race or certain drivers on RaceBuddy...or do both as I do. :popcorn:

Here is the starting line up:

1. Jimme Johnson

2. Kyle Busch

3. Denny Hamlin

4. Kevin Harvick

5. Ryan Newman

6. Clint Bowyer

7. Dale Earnhardt Jr

8. Brad Keselowski

9. Jeff Gordon

10. Martin Truex Jr.

This will be the second time we raced at Kentucky ... last year Kyle Busch won it. Am really looking forward to the race tomorrow night and hope to see the 24 car in Victory Lane... but hope everyone's favorite driver will have a fun, safe, and good race. :D

Well Kentucky just got over and once again it there wasn't much to write about as in accidents and so forth. In fact there wasn't any accidents. A few cautions for debri and one for Ryan Newman whose engine blew on track. Not a night for Stewart Haas Racing since Stewart had to go to the garage for his throttle or something like that.

Personally am excited for my Hendrick team.. Kahne had issues at one point and had to go the pits. Went two laps down and came home second. Jr came home fourth, Gordon fifth, and Johnson sixth. Wish one of 'em got the win, but close just not enough laps for Kahne.

Brad Keselowski has won his third race of the season tonight.

Here is the top ten:

1. Brad Keselowski

2. Kasey Kahne

3. Denny Hamlin

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr

5. Jeff Gordon

6. Jimmie Johnson

7. Matt Kenseth

8. Martin Truex Jr

9. AJ Allmindinger

10. Kyle Busch

(David Ragen came home 29th tonight, Stewart was 32nd)

Onto Daytona next weekend...

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr

5. Jeff Gordon

6. Jimmie Johnson

(David Ragen came home 29th tonight, .

Wow, I bet that 4,5,6 matchup gave the commentators a lot to talk about. You don't too often see these three future hall of famers bunched up that close together.

Thanks for the update Garrett and thanks again for letting me know about David Ragen.

It is something to be remembered Dale Jr, Gordon, and Johnson all up in the top six like that. Kasey Kahen was second so all of Hendrick's drivers were in the top ten. Got me last night when the announcer made the comment that three Hendrick drivers were in the top five when they coulda went one more and said all four were in the top six. :p

You are welcome. Always think of you when I see Ragen or they say something about Ragen. Hope he can turn things around sometime soon...