2012 Sprint Cup Series race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Well I may be premature in adding this thread here, but with 54 more days remaining until Daytona, I need something to fix my NASCAR withdrawl! So I will start this year's race review and results thread by posting the 2012 Spring Cup Series schedule (thanks to Jayski... a site that seems to have everything NASCAR related on it!):

2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule

Am very excited that my birthday is on a Sunday this year...and they will be at Talledega. :) Just hope that by February they will find a way to change that two by two racing at restrictor plate racing...

Good point...with David Ragen out of Rousch now, who is # 6 Roger? :rofl: Though I know what you mean...am glad to hear you are going with Ragen over Kurt Busch. But then again, I am not a Kurt Busch fan and all of that is my measely opinion that don't amount to anything. :D Ragen is such a great kid and has a lot of potential. Still don't think Roucsh gave him enough chance to grow and mature into his ride.

As for me....

GO #24 - Jeff Gordon's drive for FIVE is ON! :D

yeah you know that Clint Bowyer change team and new number for 2012 and Kahne with new #5 team with new scheme but Tony's bit new scheme as well.. lot new things for schemes on #88, 48, etc hope see forward that season and I notice that Oct for kansas change first week to end week not know why oh well I use went on firs weekend on friday for practice watching with my dad oh boy. hope no plan on end of Oct for Kansas 2nd sprint cup chase... oh well... I hate change some date schedule. it okay. I like went on oct than june because of weather and people are. hope forward to watch Daytona 500 next month soon... can't wait... lol here link about Clint's team are:

http://www.nascar.com/news/120104/2012-miss-expectations/index.html

as for me I like Go Tony's Smoke!..... and #88 Dale Earnhardt Jr.....

thanks enjoy :)

• 1 month later...

Well y'all I got some exciting news...in just an hour and a half the Budweiser Shootout will start on channel FOX. They drew their starting positions last night...Martin Truex starts from the pole. And opposed to what I posted earlier, I will be watching the Shootout...and will make sure to post my review about it afterwards. :popcorn::D Am so excited that the season is about to get started as Speed Weeks will start tonight...

And tomorrow will be qualifying for the Daytona 500 race!

Anyone else excited for the 2012 season to start?:lol:

Well the Bud Shoot out has just ended and I dont' even know where to begin. It was a fast paced race that was jam packed with wrecks. NASCAR has worked hard during the off season to put an end to the two by two racing and so now instead of doing the two by two, they are drafting in packs. Which causes bigger accidents. Every time a driver went to push on the left slide it ends in a big wreck.

First wreck came on lap ten that had Michael Waltrip in flames. Took out a few drivers. Micheal then went into the booth for the rest of the night. Wasn't his night at all, his other two drivers : Clint Bowyer and Martin Truex Jr was in a couple of wrecks of their own later on in the race.

In another wreck it took out eight cars as Kevin Harvick left on fire...which also took out fan favorite Dale Jr.

Gordon had a great race and led a lot of laps. Was great until right before the white flag dropped he went to move around Kyle Busch or tried moving Kyle Busch out of the way and he slid sideways and got caught up on Kurt Busch's car side ways. He then slid a thousand feet on his driver's door before rolling several times and coming to a stop on the roof. That wreck took out several good drivers as well...including Jimmie Johnson. :( Not my race at all!

I went from being disappointed that he was wrecking to being scared to being relieved to see him walk away. Still very relieved that they have so much safety devices within the car and on the uniform. That was one SCARY wreck.

Kyle Busch was sideways most of the night from going out of control, but held on to fight for the win...passing Tony Stewart right at the last second.

Top five finishes:

1. Kyle Busch

2. Tony Stewart

3. Marcos Ambrose

4. Brad Keselowski

5. Denny Hamlin

There ended up only being ten cars on the lead lap when the checkered flag did drop...only thirteen or so cars on track. If this is any indication of what the Daytona 500 is going to be like, we are in for a crazy ride. I am only hoping it will be better on my top three drivers...Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, and Dale Jr. . .all of whom where wrecked out of the Bud Shoot out.

Qualifying for the 500 will be on FOX at 1:00 ET (I think...so check your local listings to be sure on the time.).

Well they had qualifying for the Daytona 500 today...of which I missed. :( But sounds like Gordon had a fast car for it though...too bad he didn't win the pole. Especially since they changed the qualifcations for getting into the Bud Shootout in 2013...now the drivers have to have at least one pole qualification for this year plus a past Shootout win to get into the SHootout next year. Looks like Carl Edwards is in no matter what now...

Here will be the starting fifteen drivers of the Daytona 500...

1. Carl Edwards

2. Greg Biffle

3. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

4. Marcos Ambrose

5. Casey Mears

6. Jeff Gordon

7. Martin Truex Jr

8. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

9. Trevor Bayne

10. Tony Stewart

11. Mark Martin

12. Jimmie Johson

13. Aric Almirola

14. Paul Menard

15. David Ragen

SEVEN MORE DAYS TIL DAYTONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else excited? :popcorn:

Last night was just the start of speedweeks...what y'all think of the racing now that it was back to old school racing? I liked it better than the two car tandem, but also worries me about the accidents. Mixed emotions here. Didn't like the two car tandem, but also want a fun and safe race as well...

The Duals will be Thursday afternoon...I will be at work so I will miss them as I always do. It is where they devide the field into two sets. One set will race in the first group, the other will be in the second group. They are fun to watch if you are home at noon to watch them...which I never am. Can't recall the purpose of the duals, but I think it provides a chance to better a driver's starting position...can't recall, but will update the starting line up for the 500 if it does change the line up for the 500 race...

You're right about that being a scarey wreck Garrett. I didn't see the race but I saw the wreck on ESPN.

I'm happy for your sake that NASCAR's back Garrett. I know it was a long winter for you.

So, how are the experts predicting David Ragen's year is going to go?

He's from Georgia so he's my favorite.

By the way, he's from the northern part of the state like the Dukes isn't he?

You're right about that being a scarey wreck Garrett. I didn't see the race but I saw the wreck on ESPN.

I'm happy for your sake that NASCAR's back Garrett. I know it was a long winter for you.

So, how are the experts predicting David Ragen's year is going to go?

He's from Georgia so he's my favorite.

By the way, he's from the northern part of the state like the Dukes isn't he?

Too scary for me. Think I didn't breathe until Gordon climbed out of the car. In all his twenty years in racing, that was the first time his car stopped on the hood like that.

Thanks Roger...it has been a long winter. A long off season...seemed a lot longer than past off seasons...then again NASCAR had the non smart idea of pushing Daytona 500 back a week so thanks to them, I had an extra week to wait. Meaning today would have been the Superbowl of NASCAR if they went by past traditions. :(

Haven't really heard. But if the team he is with what I am thinking, it is kinda an underdog team or an unfunded team so hopefully he will make a name for himself and for the team. He's a talented driver so it will be interesting to see what he can do with what he now has.

As for what part of Georgia he is from...he is from Peachtree, GA. Don't exactly know where that is located in Georgia, but can look it up when I have time. Did know he was from Georgia though and somehow can always remember Peachtree as well. ;)

Well the Gatorade Duels were this afternoon to help organize the starting line up for the Sprint Cup Daytona 500 line up. I for one missed it. I for one had to work. Sad when I get off at 2:30 and I miss both races...sad when I miss any race. :( :( :( Anyway...

Tony Stewart won the first race followed by Dale Jr. Danica Patrick was in a horrible accident where it seems she hit the wall hard (I only saw pictures...my internet is too slow for video...) but she was able to walk away. She was already garaunteed a spot in the line up, so it didn't affect whether or not she would be in as it did for some. Robby Gordon was one that was able to race himself into the 500 as did Dave Blaney, Michael McDowell, and Joe Nemechek.

Matt Kenseth won the second Duel. Reagen Smith finished second, JJ finished third.

Am so glad the 2012 NASCAR season is about to start...THREE MORE DAYS!!!! This has been a long off season for me...am glad to see the cure to my NASCAR withdrawl within sight. :D

Well NASCAR.com has finally put up the final lineup for the Daytona 500...the top two positions were locked in with the qualifying runs on last Sunday. While the rest of the field was placed as to where they finished today. Carl Edwards won the pole and Biffle got second place from qualifying...

HERE IS THE TOP TEN STARTING POSITIONS FOR SUNDAY:

1. Carl Edwards

2. Greg Biffle

3. Tony Stewart

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Dale Earnhardt Jr

6. Regen Smith

7. Marcos Ambrose

8. Jimmie Johnson

9. Jeff Burton

10. Elliot Sadler

Well I for one liked the qualifying run line up better since Gordon qualified sixth or seventh but since he finished eightth today, he will now be starting sixteenth. Oh well, sometimes it seems like he does better when he starts mid pack like that. Have to say am glad to see Elliot Sadler back in a cup race...don't know if it is for the season or if it just Daytona. After not doing so well and his contract ending (I think) he dropped out last season and had just concentrated on the Nationwide Series...which he did pretty good at.

Anyone planning on any big Daytona parties? I'm not ... unless hanging out with four dogs and a cat classifies as a party. HA HA. :rofl:

GO JEFF GORDON GO! GORDON'S DRIVE FOR FIVE IS ON IN 2012!!

(Just in case y'all forgot who I am going for... :D )

Pre-race show is on NOW on FOX...anyone else excited?

Am hoping for a fun and safe race today and to see all four Hendrick boys in the top ten today...with JEFF GORDON coming home number 1. :D:popcorn:

That is if it doesn't rain...RAIN RAIN GO AWAY COME BACK ANOTHER DAY! Am hoping the sun will start to shine on Daytona and on the drivers!!!!!!

Pre-race show is on NOW on FOX...anyone else excited?

Am hoping for a fun and safe race today and to see all four Hendrick boys in the top ten today...with JEFF GORDON coming home number 1. :popcorn:

That is if it doesn't rain...RAIN RAIN GO AWAY COME BACK ANOTHER DAY! Am hoping the sun will start to shine on Daytona and on the drivers!!!!!!

Well it has been rain delayed...but the good news is is that they have put the jet dryers out on the track. So hopefully it is about done raining...though Danica just said it is really raining now. :( :( :(

RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY, DON'T COME BACK ANOTHER DAY!!!!

Well y'all I've got some HORRIBLE news for you...well to me it is horrible. Right now am very upset...

For the first time ever Daytona 500 has been post poned. It will be raced at noon ET (11:00 my time...central) on FOX.

So frustrated right now. I watched five hours of them talking to about everyone about anything, they started to make it sound like it was getting better. And then they post pone it! Wouldn't be half as bad if they would put the race at a time that most peoplel could at least watch the end of the race...but noon? (or eleven if you are like me) I get off at two thirty and I still won't be able to watch it. After ninety some days of counting down and waiting for it to come and this happens. :mad::(

Well y'all guess I'll be doing my race write up to what I read from online...:cry:

Well I got some good news to share with y'all...well I hope at least. Could change...

But the Daytona 500 has been delayed and rescheduled (again due to weather) to 7:02 PM EST on FOX...6:02 my time central time...in eighteen minutes!!!!! :D:popcorn:

NO MORE RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY COME BACK ANOTHER DAY!!!!!!!!! NO MORE RAIN!!!!!!!!!!:-o

Well they have forty laps to go and I should get ready for bed...work comes early tomorrow morning. :( So I don't know if I'll have time to write a write up tonight...all I say is that I just saw something that I never saw before. Darrell Waltrip said the same thing.

Under caution Juan Pablo Montoya was speeding up to catch up with the pack when his breaks broke and he shot up the track and hit the jet dryer! It went up in fire as did the track! So scary. Juan Pablo walked away, the driver of the truck was taken to the hospital for further observation. So scary! They had to life the truck off the track since the tires were melted to the track and it scraped up the surface real bad. Now they are under red flag...meaning the race is halted.

If they do finish now, Dave Blaney would win and Landon Cassill would come in second...looks like this could take awhile. :(

So relieved that everyone is OK...very scary accident. This race has had everything thrown at it. Rain and now fire...

Well I didn't stay up to watch the end of the race...went to bed too late as it was waiting for it to end. :( Just glad everyone is OK after Montoya's wreck.

Breif summary: Elliot Sadler bumped Johnson on the second lap to send him spinning. He got hit hard a couple of times. One included Danica Patrick who sat in the garage for sixty some laps. The other was by David Ragen who was taken out...as was Johnson.

Under half way, Jeff Gordon's engine blew - he said his crank broke? Said it normally happens when things are too hot, but it was on the cool side and didn't understand how that happened. Anyway, my top two drivers didn't make it to the half way mark.

Martin Truex Jr led at the half way mark to win the two hundred thousand dollars.

Then with forty laps to go they were under caution and Juan Pablo Montoya was speeding up to get caught up only for his transmission or breaks to snap. It sent him up the track and hard into a jet dryer truck that burst into flames and spread on the track. Very scary looking. Glad they are both OK. :) They red flagged the race for an hour and a half...they used TIDE laundry detergent to clean the track afterwards. Interesting to watch them pick the truck up and off the track since it's tires were melted to the track.

Here is the top ten finishing spots:

1. Matt Kenseth

2. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

3. Greg Biffle

4. Denny Hamlin

5. Jeff Burton

6. Paul Menard

7. Kevin Harvick

8. Carl Edwards

9. Joey Lagano

10. Mark Martin

We are onto Phoenix next Sunday...where Jeff Gordon broke his winnless streak at. :D

I think I got to about half distance before I had to call it a night - it was just too late for me. How Danica slipped between the other two cars in the early accident I'll never know. I thought Jeff Gordon might have a good race after he briefly led, but then I saw his engine go not long before I had to turn off. I saw a video of JPM's crash this morning - that delay really would have made a late night of it if I'd tried to stay up.

I still have to wait until the 18th of March for the first race of the F1 season, and seeing as it's back to its usual starting point of Australia it will be a late night/early morning for me!.