I don't know what to do.

K-Duke15

I need some help from people that aren't my real life friends. I don't know whether or not to join my school marching band. I'd be the only bass clarinet player. The band really needs one because apparently they're the only one that doesn't have one. All my friends that are in it are saying that I should. I can't decide though. Any thoughts?

Well I dont know how good my advice will be. I never was in band or anything of the like.

Sounds like the band would benefit from having you in it, but at the same time, it something that YOU want to do? Would enjoy doing? Or would it be soemthing that you felt like you should or that you had to and would dread it? I think the bottom line is what YOU want to do. Not your friends or what would work best for the band, but what would work best for you. Because if you won't have fun with it or enjoy it, it won't be worth it.

I guess what I am saying is, is that you need to ask yourself what you want. Not your school or your friends, but what YOU want to do. And then go with that. :)

Wishing you the best of luck with your choice here. Hope that helps you some...

Speaking as someone who can't play a note, it would be a shame if you didn't use your talent in some way. As Garrett said, you'll have to decide if the marching band is the right outlet. What's the down side?. Do you like playing in a band?.

I wasn't even sure how a bass clarinet differed from a regular clarinet (other than playing lower notes) until I Googled it. Apparently it's not used very often in pop music, but I'm sure most of y'all will be familiar with

that features it prominently.

I need some help from people that aren't my real life friends. I don't know whether or not to join my school marching band. I'd be the only bass clarinet player. The band really needs one because apparently they're the only one that doesn't have one. All my friends that are in it are saying that I should. I can't decide though. Any thoughts?

As a drummer and former band captain, I have great memories of this kinda stuff.

But it sounds like you're feeling a little pressured by your friends. At the same time, you're curious.

Whether it's band, sports, or what have ya, there's always a certain commitment level that goes along with this stuff. Your heart has to be in it to keep showing up to practice and to do well at performances.

If you're having a great time, it'll never seem like work. If you don't enjoy it tho', it'll be an obligation of your time that you could come to regret.

Why not discuss this with the band director, and see if you can join on a trial basis? Give yourself an out if you need it.

If you have enough friends already in it, you'll probably enjoy yourself - as well as make new friends in the process. It kinda depends what other sort of demands you have on your time though, and what other activities you may have to cut back on.

Good luck!

Yea they are right...talk to the band director and go to a practice...I think you will know if you want to join after a practice. Do not let what others want interfere with what you want...But I do know from personal experience one practice did it for me...

When I was told to join the high school marching band by my advisor I thought ok that will be really cool and I will get to be in the local parades. Then they started sending the forms and information...I thought ok I will try it...I was in the percussion section...Girls were deemed to girly to play the drums so they got put on the keyboards, which I was fine with that...until they stuck me with playing the symbols...Not fun...at all...I did not like it, they did not pay any attention to the percussion section...I sat there through one song and didn't play...they never said a word or mentioned it. I did not like the music or the vibe from the group. It was an all day practice. We played for like 3 hours...3 hours banging annoying symbols together...HA.. and then watched the movie that our music was coming from. Not very productive...

I didn't like it at all... but I went...and because I went I knew what I wanted. Cause you never know until you try...and it is an interestin learning experience...Hopefully your school has a better marching band and what not than ours did. :)

I wasn't even sure how a bass clarinet differed from a regular clarinet (other than playing lower notes) until I Googled it. Apparently it's not used very often in pop music, but I'm sure most of y'all will be familiar with
that features it prominently.

The song's really cool. I never knew about it. I've seen the band play because Mr. Spradlin (my instructer) has play video of them in class. The music's cool and seems cool. I think I might like it. I will probably talk with him when it gets closer to sign ups. (Hopefully I remember to.:))This is a

that I found on youtube. I will be honest, I can't play this good but I can play.

I had a similar problem when it came to singing for a show last year. I was convinced I couldn't sing a note and would embarrass myself,and become a laughing stock. But my friends convinced me to take the chance,and I'm glad I did because a local vocal coach was in the audience and offered me a years worth of free voice lessons.

I'd take any opportunity you can,because you never know who'd be at your performance...

Hope I helped :D

I had a similar problem when it came to singing for a show last year. I was convinced I couldn't sing a note and would embarrass myself,and become a laughing stock. But my friends convinced me to take the chance,and I'm glad I did because a local vocal coach was in the audience and offered me a years worth of free voice lessons.

I'd take any opportunity you can,because you never know who'd be at your performance...

Hope I helped :D

I'm not sure. There might not be someone special at the performances but I had the thought, if I don't like it the first year, I don't have to do it again. So I guess you might have helped.