Dang idiots!!!

CDoherty95

I've been searching for a classic bicycle for a while now,and whilst cycling home last night I saw one in a dumpster.

I went up to the house and offered them €5 for it,and went off to take it out and bring it home.

Today I got my first proper look at it...

All i can say is this beautiful pre 1970's ladies racer had been ruined by presumably a drunk ape with a can of white spraypaint. They didn't bother to tape off any areas,they just sprayed any available spot. My first thoughts were that this was going to be a ghostbike (a bike that's sprayed white and left in a spot where cyclists have been killed,but after a few phone calls it turns out that the organization that organises thr ghostbikes only use modern bikes),but now it just seems to be a poorly painted vintage racer.

Anyway that's my rant over,ill post pictures when i get a chance!!

Is that an overseas thing? I used to cycle (mountain bike) in college many moons ago and have never heard of that. As well, we don't have too many accidents over here (I'm in So Cal) on the street. Last one I recall was over two years ago when a drunk man plowed his car thru a family of four on a simple cruise around their neighborhood. Here -- we set up crosses, flowers, pictures, etc. But, never seen a bike painted white. Touching concept (couldn't think of any other acceptable adjective; as death is horrible)

As far as I know its only done in Ireland. I don't know what the circumstances surrounding each bike is,but I can't image them putting a bike at every single death location.

In Ireland we're much simpler with car crash deaths. Its usually just a simple white wooden cross with flowers and occasionally a candle in a jar.

There's one road near our holiday home (Hoss you might know it) on the outskirts of Sligo town that's known locally as Death Road,because its twists,turns,blind spots and hills cause dozens of serious crashes every year.

On a brighter note,does anyone have any name ideas for the bike? I was thinking of a girls name because its a woman's bike.

Thanks y'all :D

On a brighter note,does anyone have any name ideas for the bike? I was thinking of a girls name because its a woman's bike.

Thanks y'all :D

Why not name it "Dixie" like Daisy's Jeep? It's already white, so maybe it's a sign. If you do the Dixie Jeep paint job on it, you'll have another fine vehicle in your Hazzard County bike fleet. Completely appropriate as a ladies bike, too. I don't think you could have planned it better.

Thanks for the name suggestions guys and gals!!But none of them seemed quite right for this ancient racer.

Don't ask me where I got it from (I'm still trying to figure that out myself) but I'm gonna call it Ivan. The guy I got it from wasn't called Ivan,and he didnt tell me that the bike was called Ivan. But Ivan just seems to suit this bike. There's just something about its styling,its small sleek front wheel and chunky off road back wheel,its old gear shift and brakes system or maybe it's racing handlebars with duct tape grips. Whatever the reason, he's called Ivan. Even I amaze myself sometimes with the stuff I come up with,and this is no different.

Unlike every other bike I own, I'm going to leave Ivan the way he is. Its not that I'm afraid I might damage him or anything,its just that he's survived for 40 years unmodified,so why should I be the straw that breaks the camels back? Ill only work on him when I have to.