Traveller???

roy1elvis

I searched the forum, but didn't see any mention of this. In episode 2 -- Daisy's Song -- the cousin's go to talk to Cooter. He's working on a white car that looks A LOT like a Chrysler 300(?) from the mid-late '50's. Now, in what little I know -- that was the car that Jerry Rushing used and the car that was in "Moonrunners" -- the 1975 picture penned by Gy Waldron, the Dukes creator. So, the question is: Was that the actual "Traveller" from the movie? Funny too, that Cooter drives the same color scheme Gran Torino in the first episode that Starsky (or Hutch) had in that tv show. Surprised they shipped the GT all the way to Georgia...and, as far as I know, that car never re-appears in series. Course, it coulda been a locals car??? But I do think the car Cooter was wrenching on was "Traveller". What y'all think?

I don't know about the car Cooter's working on in Daisy's Song, but I can say this about the Starsky & Hutch car. After S&H premiered and became quite popular, Ford actually produced Grand Torinos with that specific paint scheme, so my guess is it was probably found locally and used in filming. You're correct though that it's only seen in that first episode.

In episode 2 -- Daisy's Song -- the cousin's go to talk to Cooter. He's working on a white car that looks A LOT like a Chrysler 300(?) from the mid-late '50's. Now, in what little I know -- that was the car that Jerry Rushing used and the car that was in "Moonrunners" -- the 1975 picture penned by Gy Waldron, the Dukes creator. So, the question is: Was that the actual "Traveller" from the movie?

Both cars are white 1958 models. Jerry Rushing's 'Traveler' was a 1958 Chrysler 300D similar to the one below:

Chrysler300D.jpg

The car you mention in 'Daisy's Song' was a 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88:

CooterCar0102.jpg

Here's what they look like in better condition:

OldsSuper88.jpg

I haven't seen 'Moonrunners' for a while, but I thought the main car was a 1971 Chevy Bel Air. I don't recall 'Traveler' appearing in any episode of Dukes, but Jerry Rushing himself appeared as Ace Parker in 'Repo Men'.

It's hard not to just message HossC directly!!

But if ya did that, the rest of us would be left in the dark on these matters.

The car "Traveler" in the movie "Moonrunners" was a stock car owned by the Hagg cousins. It was a 1955 Chevy. It was kept to the racetrack and wasn't used in any of their highway antics.

There's a rough copy of Moonrunners on YouTube, for any of ya'll curious. You can find part one here:

Moonrunners Part 1

The car "Traveler" in the movie "Moonrunners" was a stock car owned by the Hagg cousins. It was a 1955 Chevy. It was kept to the racetrack and wasn't used in any of their highway antics.

Thanks for the reminder Brian. As I said, it's been a while since I watched it. It was hard to get a grab of the '55 Chevy because it's only seen at night or in a dark shed. The car I remembered was the one that Beth Ann Eubanks stole from her step-daddy (the Mississippi sheriff). Uncle Jesse had to make the 'shine run in this car because Grady got things "bass ackwards" and forgot his role in the scheme.

MoonrunnersCars.jpg

If you want to read more about Jerry Rushing's 'Traveler', there's a whole chapter about it in the book The Real Duke of Hazzard: The Jerry Rushing Story. It was bought for just $150 from an auction after it had been confiscated from another moonshiner. It already had upgraded rear suspension and the lower back seat had been removed to allow more space. Jerry's mechanic friend Buck tweaked the stock HEMI to give the car a top speed of over 170 mph. He also added a couple of toggle switches to the dash. The first would turn off all the rear lights, including the reverse lights, so he could back into a building without being seen. The second just cut the brake lights. When the revenuers were chasing him on a twisty road he would brake normally on the first few bends to get the chaser to follow his braking pattern. He'd then flick the switch and brake hard around a sharp bend - the revenuer would realise too late and crash off the road.

• 1 month later...
I heard somewhere that the Starsky & Hutch Torino Cooter drove was a leftover from filming the series. I thought John said this in an interview somewhere, possibly in the series DVD extras?

I haven't heard this one. I know that S&H's last season was in 1979 - last show airdate was 5/15/79, and they completed filming months prior to that. So it's possible that WB picked up a Torino on the cheap and shipped it out there with the GL's and such. Though that seems to be a lot of hassle for a car they used once, ya know?

If I find the answer I'll post it, I'm going through the DVD's anyhow.

This is a weird coincidence. If you go to the "Boss Hogg...CNN" thread that I just posted the one person on the panel I was talking about thought Boss Hogg was from Starsky and Hutch. Fortunately someone corrected her right away. I'm just surprised that I would hear about two Dukes-Starsky connections in two days...weird.

This is a weird coincidence. If you go to the "Boss Hogg...CNN" thread that I just posted the one person on the panel I was talking about thought Boss Hogg was from Starsky and Hutch. Fortunately someone corrected her right away. I'm just surprised that I would hear about two Dukes-Starsky connections in two days...weird.

Maybe she was confusing him with Huggy Bear - an amusing mix-up considering some of Governor Barbour's past comments :).

But if ya did that, the rest of us would be left in the dark on these matters.

There's a rough copy of Moonrunners on YouTube, for any of ya'll curious. You can find part one here:

Moonrunners Part 1

Thank you for the movie link!