Luke’s First Love!

Disclaimer: Likeness to anyone living or dead are coincidental. The McCormick family characters are my fictional characters. If you wish to use them please e-mail me. This may take awhile to complete as I really want to finish BJ Goes to Hazzard before giving this much attention. Please be patient! Thanks! Dixie

Characters

Duke Family:

Jesse Duke

Luke Duke (15 -- soon to be 16)

Bo Duke (14 -- going on 15)

Daisy Duke (Just turned 14)

Coy Duke (14)

Vance Duke (13)

Jeb Duke (12)

McCormick Family

Bill McCormick (Robin's Father)

Brenda McCormick (Robin's Mother)

Robin McCormick (15 -- soon to be 16)

Marc McCormick (16) -- (IF you remember Hardcastle & McCormick this is Marc before he meets Judge Hardcastle)

David McCormick (11)

Davenport Family

Cooter Davenport (16)

Chapter 1

Luke's First Day of High School

Walking down the Luke is the lane to catch the bus for the first time without Bo. Today is Luke’s first day a Hazzard High School. He stands in the early morning dawn waiting for the bus. He is still a little upset because Jesse didn't let him drive to school. Sure he doesn't have his license yet, but he can drive a ridge runner almost as good as any other driver in the county. This is due to Jesse letting him ride with him for several years now and the last couple of years he has even let Luke deliver a few loads on his own. Luke hears the familiar sound of the bus approaching. He steps onto the bus. There are a few people already on the bus. He spots his buddy, Cooter Davenport in the back seat. He takes the seat beside Cooter. "Hey Cooter", says Luke.

"Hey there Buddy-row". Replies Cooter.

"I hoped I'd not be riding the bus this morning." Luke states.

"Hey, I told you Jesse wasn't going to let you drive to school." laughs Cooter.

"Well, I really don't see why, after all he did have me take that "trip" the other night." Insists Luke.

Cooter knows Luke is referring to hauling a load of shine. "Yeah, Luke, but that was in the middle of the night not in daylight, right in town."

"Yeah, I know." sighs Luke.

The bus makes another stop to pick up. Getting on the bus is Luke and Cooter's good friend, Marc McCormick. Followed by his younger sister, Robin. Marc heads for the guys in the back of the bus. He sets down with Luke. "Are you all ready for today? I’ll be glad when I don’t have to go to school.†Grumbles Marc.

Barely hearing Marc, Luke is watching Robin who is wearing boots, a short leather looking shirt with a low cut blouse, her long light brown hair is falling over her shoulders. She had stopped towards the front of bus taking a seat with her friends. “Yeah, me too Marc. I didn’t know Robin was in High School.â€

Marc fusses, “Yeah, ain’t it a bummer! I won’t be able to do anything now. Miss Goody Two Shoes surely tell on me at every turn!â€

“Yeah, I know what you mean.†Agrees Luke.

After several more stops they finally arrive at the High School. Everyone gets off the bus and goes in search of their class schedules and their first classes. Luke is happy to see his first class is something he likes –Gym. He heads for the gym having been to many games there he knows where it is.

Robin and her best friend Jill are not happy seeing that their first class is gym. “Why would they schedule gym as a first class.†, says Robin.

“Yeah, we’ll have to fix our hair twice!†grumbles Jill

“And make up.†Adds Robin. Walking into the Gym she checks out the guys standing on the other side of the room. She spots Luke Duke, her brothers’ good friend. He is wearing tight jeans and a blue shirt that fits snuggly to his muscular chest and arms. “Jill this may not be so bad!â€

“Have you lost your mind?†questions Jill.

“No.†she says flatly. “I have not lost my mind at all.†She says as she elbows Jill and nodding towards Luke.

• 10 months later...

The bell rings sounding the end of the first day of school. The day was over for most, but for a selected few it was time to head off behind the parking lot to the practice field for football, cheerleader, or band practice. Luke soon met up with Marc and Cooter on his way. Though Luke was a 10 the grader his ability in Jr. High and previous practices had earned him a starting position on the Hazzard Team. Also, due to many cheerleaders graduating last year Robin and Jill also had a good chance at making the first string as cheerleaders. Walking over to the field Luke asks, "So Marc how are you getting home?"

Marc replies, "About like you I guess, being picked up by Dad."

"What do you say Jesse drops you off today and tomorrow I can hitch a ride with you." Suggests Luke.

"Hey, that's good with me, but Robin is also going to need a ride." Marc sighs.

Luke replies, "That shouldn't be a problem. Go call your Dad and tell him you all have a ride."

"OK, Cool. Tell coach I'll be right back." says Marc as he heads for the main office and the phone.

Cheer leading practice ended with the announcement that the final tryouts would be held tomorrow. Jill and Robin are walking toward the parking lot where Robin's Dad should be waiting but his truck is not there. At this point the football team races by them with Luke, Cooter and Marc in the lead. The surround Jesse's pick up using it for a base. Luke approaches Jesse's window. "Uncle Jesse, you wouldn't mind dropping off Marc and his sister today and his Dad bring me home tomorrow? And I asked Cooter to stay over tonight?"

Jesse laughs, "Why that there sounds like a plan. No need us both quitting choirs

early every day. I'm sure Cooter will help you get caught up too." Jesse supported all 'his' kids in athletics but the farm work came first.

Robin walks up to the pickup where Marc has already climbed into the back. "Marc? What are you doing and where's Dad?"

Jill has waited by Robin to make sure she had a ride before going to the old van the orphanage used to transport the kids.

Marc sighes a "Kids!" sigh then replies, "Mr. Duke is taking us home today and Dad will drop Luke off tomorrow."

Robin and Jill look at each other with a surprised look. Jill manages to say, "Call me later!" as she head for the old van thinking that Robin was very lucky. The girls had grown up around these guys yet even in junior high these guys seemed more interested in fast cars and sports than they were girls.

Jesse noticed Robin was in a skirt and said, "Robin, you can ride up here with me. This old work truck is pretty dirty back there."

Robin smiled a weak smile of thanks. She would have loved to have ridden in back to get to know Luke better, but the thought of climbing over the tailgate in a dress in front of these guys didn't seem like a good idea. She thanked Jesse as she climbed in up front. "Thank you, Mr. Duke for the ride home."

"Well now little lady, it ain't no problem. How was your first day in High School?" Jesse asked with a kind face.

Robin replied, "I can see how different it is going to be from Jr. High that's for sure."

In the back of the truck:

After the old truck starts out towards home, Marc asks, "Luke, the first game is Friday. I know a few guys who'd like to start the season out right IF you get my drift."

Luke smiles, "Yeah, I get your drift. After the regular choirs I've got to help Jesse some and that old still has been known to leak a little from time to time.

"Cooter how full is your Dad's garage this week? I'm trying to talk Jesse into letting us put a dummy tank on that runner."

Cooter smiles a devilish grin, "You just talk him into it we'll get Tilley in there. As a matter of fact, Dad has those parts that Mr. Jesse wanted put on her."

"That is great. Maybe we can get her in late one night and fix her up." Luke replies.

Cooter reminds him, "When? With school all week and the game Friday??"

"Well, OK, then how about Saturday? Marc what are you doing Saturday?" questions Luke.

They both say together, "Saturday. That's good for me."

"Great it's set. Jesse can drop Tilley off Friday night sometime and we can camp out at the garage Friday night after the game and get an early start Saturday morning." suggests Luke.

Cooter says, "Yeah, there is plenty of room over the garage for us."

"Party time after the game!" says Marc.

Cooter and Luke just grin.

• 2 weeks later...

The rest of the week followed the busy scheduled of morning choirs, school, practice, evening choirs. For Luke this was followed by added choirs at one of several of Jesse's stills. Jesse Duke was known by many as the best moonshiner in several states and Luke had the ambition to learn the trade. The most important ingrediant to Jesse's whole operation was secrecy. Though many knew he made and ran shine, only family knew where the stills were located and where and when the shine would be delivered. There were a few close friends such as the Davenports who helped keep the runners one step in front of the law. Then there were the McCormicks -- Bill nor his elders had every made or ran shine. Though on occasion they had been known to "break down" or be at a convenient location to slow the revenuers or local law down. Bill hoped he had been able to convince Marc not to participate in the shine business but he had to wonder how much this lesson had sunk in to his oldest son.

Thursday night Duke farm:

The telephone rings shortly before 9pm. Uncle Jesse answers it, "Duke Farm." followed by, "Luke, phones for you."

Luke comes in from the front porch, "Hello."

A male voice Luke knows to be Marc McCormick says, "Luke, you don't have to ride the bus in the morning. I just got finished doing double choirs to get to take Dad's truck to school tomorrow!"

"No way! How do you plan to do that without a license?" replies Luke disbelieving that Bill would give his truck, his pride and joy, to Marc without a license.

"Easy came the reply. I made my license today!" came the reply.

Luke tries not to sound real eager hoping that Jesse will think they are responsible enough so that he can ride with Marc in the morning. So he says lowly, "Oh, that is great! Hang on a second and I'll ask." He turns toward where Jesse is pouring himself a cup of coffee. "Uncle Jesse can I ride to school in the morning with Marc?"

Jesse looks up, "You, ah, do mean Bill is taking Marc to school?"

"No, Marc is driving Bill's truck to school." replies Luke hopefully.

Jesse is now facing one of his worst fears. He knows these boys and their love for cars. He has seen each of them go from steering not only on their Dad's laps but also his lap to driving tractors on the farms, to driving clunkers around the fields. They were all good and had the potential to be good drivers. They had more experience than most kids there age behind the wheel of a moving vehicle but they had always been supervised.

Luke sees the concern in Jesse's eyes, "Come on Uncle Jesse, you've seen Marc drive and would Bill let him drive his truck if he weren't a good driver? Besides I have to take all my stuff for the game to school in the morning." He reminded hopefully.

Jesse realizes that the kids are growing up and he has to start letting them spread their wings a bit. "Well, OK, but it's not going to be an everyday thing."

"Yee Ha! I mean, OK, your right it won't be. Thanks Uncle Jesse!" exclaims Luke. To the phone, "OK, Marc I can ride in the morning but not everyday."

"OK!!! There's only one draw back." Marc pauses not wanting to tell Luke the rest.

Luke says, "What's the problem?"

Marc half embarrassed, "Well, Robin. I have to take her too. Seems she has almost as much stuff as we do to get to school in the morning."

Luke laughs, "Well, that's the hazard of being an older brother. Believe me the others can't wait until January when I get my license. They have things all planned. Just ask any of them! Besides shouldn't Robin get her license herself soon?"

Marc growls as Robin walked by, "Not soon enough! If they get the insurance on my Fire-bird I maybe able to switch it out and take it to the garage so we can work on it some Sat."

Luke replies, "Yeah, that would be 'nice'."

Marc not catching on, says, " 'Nice???' "

"Yeah, its nice that your Mom is bringing snacks to the locker room after the game. We'll have to talk about that in the morning." replies Luke.

Trying to hide his amusement at his friend, Marc replies, "So I take it you can't talk. Guess we will have a lot to talk about in the morning! Sh---!! We can't talk in the morning, Robin will be there!"

Luke replied, "Your right about that. Look I got to go help Jesse." Catching himself and knowing Hazzards phone system. "Help Jesse, ah, string beans."

Marc replied as coolly to Luke, "Just remember I 'like' green beans too! See you about 6:30 in the morning."

Laughing at his friends innocent reply, "OK, you got it. See ya then!" Luke hangs up the phone as Jesse rises his coffee cup.

Jesse checks on Bo, Daisy, Jeb, Coy and Vance who are in various places finishing their homework. To Bo he says, "Bo, me and Luke are going to easy out of here for a spell. If you need anything I'm on channel 17 and we'll be at site 4. I want you all in bed when I get back."

Bo replies, "Yes, sir, but why can't I go too. I went all summer."

Jesse says, "Because you are the oldest here. I need you to make sure that the others are done with homework and in bed when I get back. If you remember that was Luke's duty last year. And I will be needing you more and more with me especially when Luke here gets his license and starts driving more."

McCormicks house just before 9pm:

"Marc please stay off the phone a few minutes. I'm expecting a call and you know we can't use the phone after 9pm and you can." Begs Robin.

"Oh, OK, I think I'll go wash the truck." says Marc.

Robin looks at him like he's lost his mind, "Washing the truck at 9pm. It will be dark soon."

Marc replies over his shoulder, "Never heard of drop lights? Besides, I'm not taking a dirty truck to school!"

The phone rings. Robin answers it on the second ring. "Hello."

"Man, I thought I'd NEVER get through before 9pm!" exclaims Jill.

Robin replies, "Yeah, I know, Marc has been on the phone since he got in. He got his license today and had to brag to all of Hazzard!"

Jill exclaims, "Wow! This can be good. At least one of the bunch has a license now! But what I want to know is how has it been riding home EVERY day with Luke??" Jill asks enviously.

"Well, if you've noticed after that first day I've not worn a dress so I can ride the back of the trucks with the guys. Yet, with Marc there, and him treating me like I'm a baby mostly they talk among themselves about cars and I just listen." says Robin.

Jill suggests, "Well, what if you dressed up 'for the game' tomorrow?"

Thinking Robin replied, "You may have something there. Tomorrow Marc is driving Dads truck to school then we'll all go to the field directly after school so I could do something. Will you wear a dress too? Please?"

Jill agreed, "Well, OK, I guess I can throw something together on short notice."

"Great!" Robin's Dad comes through the living room pointing at his watch. She gives him a thumbs up. "Look, I got to get off here now see you in the morning."

Jill replies, "OK, night."

Still sight #4.

Luke is bottling the shine in nothing but one gallon glass jugs as Jesse is getting another batch of mash ready to cook. Luke says, "Uncle Jesse thanks for letting me ride with Marc in the morning."

"Well, Luke, I like Marc and his family but I have this feeling that Marc is a bit wild and I can't help but worry about you with him." states Jesse honestly.

"I guess I can see where you're coming from with him but he's OK. I'd say it won't be too long before he gets his ride on the road, then I half expect him to come see you about driving for you some at least until I get my license." replies Luke.

Looking Luke in the eye, "What do you think Bill and Brenda would say about that?"

Luke reflects on this question. He has spent time with Marc at his house over the years and knows both Marc's Dad and Mother well. He meets Jesse's eyes with his, "I think Marc would hope they knew nothing about it."

"I see." replies Jesse. "He would want me to hire him at a ripe old age of 16, against his parents wishes to do a job that could get him put in jail or dead and not tell his parents about it. Getting his license does not make him grown. He still drives their vehicles and lives under their roof and I would still have to look them in the eye. This is a family tradition and yes it does help support us when the crops don't do well or when prices are low but I'm not out to be like J.D. Hogg. This is not my main income nor will it every be. I'm interested in making some quality corn whiskey for some friends and their friends to share an art that has been passed down in this family from generation to generation long before their were laws to say we couldn't make it. You can also keep in mind I do still pay taxes on everything from the corn and sugar to that there jug in your hand! Further more, I don't ask you or Bo or any of you kids to get involved in this. You all have begged from the time you could talk to ride in the runners and sometimes I think you all forget there are real dangers in this. Do you all think I carry that there shot gun up here for looks? I'm all that stands between you all and leaving this county if I were to get caught at this." Jesse goes silent. Realizing that he has went on and on and Luke had merely stated he 'thought' Marc may ask for a job.

Luke looks down, "Uncle Jesse I didn't mean to get you upset. I just wanted you not to be surprised if Marc asked to talk to you. I do realize the dangers, but you'd not really kill someone with that shot gun would you?" Before Jesse can answer Luke finishes his statement to let Jesse know he has been paying attention all these years. "Especially, with it loaded with only rock salt."

The surprise showed in Jesse's eyes. "Well, you got me there. But it could really sting someone for a spell if they got too close. Nope it is not loaded to kill, it is only to buy me sometime to get out of here."

Luke smiles knowing that under Jesse's gruff exterior he has a heart of gold. He caps the last full jug of shine. "Uncle Jesse tomorrow after the game and you get this load delivered why don't you bring Tilly to the garage and Cooter, Marc and I will stay there and Saturday will put all those parts Luther (Cooter's Dad) ordered for you on old Tilly. "Well, that sounds like a winner to me. So you all are staying at the garage Friday night?" Since school had been out all summer this had been something that the boys had started doing every so often.

Luke looked at Jesse hopefully, "Well, yes, with no school Saturday I hoped you wouldn't mind. I have talked with Jeb and he will do mine and Bo's Sat. morning choirs so that Bo can go too and I'll get his choirs Sat. night and Sunday."

Jesse shakes his head, "OK, I don't mind. I'm glad to see you thought of the farm first. So what do you all have planned?"

"Well, we figured on hanging out after the game until you get there with Tilly and then work on her a bit. We should be home by afternoon.", replies Luke.

Jesse nods, "Well, I think we can call her a night. Looks like we have everything ready except for loading up tomorrow night. No one should expect me out after the game tomorrow night." Laughs Jesse.

Luke asks, "Are you sure you won't need any help loading?"

"What do I look like some kind of old geezer to you? I've been totting this here stuff since before you where a thought!" exclaims Jesse. "Besides Old Tilly can slide right in here to be loaded. That's why I chose this sight for this run you'll see you got to consider a lot when you plan these things out."

Luke smiles, "No, Sir, you'll never be an old geezer to me! Just let me box the rest of this before we go. Are you sure you don't want me to go with you or anything tomorrow night; not that you need me or anything."

Jesse replies, "No, you all go have a good time after the game. This is your first year in High School. These next three years will fly by but they can be the best years of your life if you let them. I want you to learn responsibility but I also want you to enjoy this time in your life." states Jesse.

"Yes, Sir, I will." says Luke as he watches Jesse finish cleaning up as he is boxing the gallons of shine. He carefully reaches for his blue jean jacket laying on a stump and slips two quart Mason jars filled with Jesse's finest in the pockets of the jacket. He had fully intended to ask Jesse for them but since Jesse got so upset when he told him Mark "may" want to drive for him he had reconsidered the asking part. Of course for Luke and the others shine had always been around and it was nothing for them to take sips from Jesse's own glass at the house. They had even done it as small children when their own Dad's had been sipping on a taste of shine to show off in front of company and on special occasions. The Duke family had always felt that by not hiding the shine and the fact that it was a family business that it would be no big deal to the young ones. Thus when they became young adults that it would be no big deal to be able to drink some of the "fruits" of their labor and thus would be less likely to over indulge.

Friday morning Duke Farm:

Mark and Robin pull up to the kitchen door of the Duke farm house. Mark is careful not to do anything to seem reckless. Luke hears the truck and grabs all his football gear from the back porch and heads for the truck. He tosses the gear into the back of the truck and opens the door. Robin slides over closer to Mark to let Luke in. She as on a white off the shoulders type blouse on with a denim floor length skirt and high heeled sandals. Mark complains, "Robin why don't just just get in the king cab?"

"No, way Mark, not in a dress and heels am I climbing into the back seat!" Exclaims Robin.

Luke checks her out from head to toe as he agrees with her, "Mark, it's no big deal. There is plenty of room for us three up here." He says as he climb in beside Robin.

With sweaty hands and a lump in her throat she manages to say, "Thanks Luke."

"It's nothing. I'm just glad to not have to ride the bus with all that stuff. Mark you couldn't have planned this better."

Mark replies, "Yes, I could have! They are getting the Fire-bird legal today! Dad will drive it to the game and we'll switch then. Is everything set for tonight with Cooter?"

"Well, if you stop and pick him up we'll ask him." Luke says as they approach the Davenport farm where Cooter is waiting on the bus.

Mark pulls to the side of the road where Cooter is standing. "Toss your stuff in back." Mark says as he exits the truck to let Cooter into the king cab behind him."Sorry about you having to ride back there."

Cooter replies, "Well anything beats riding that slow bus! Hi all!"

Friday evening Hazzard County High School locker room -- Home of the Cougars!:

The football players are arriving from their long walk or short drive from the school. Luke looks at Mark. "I hope your Dad gets here soon with the Fire-bird I have something I NEED to put in it before the game starts."

"Oh?" asks Mark.

"Yes, its something for later." replies Luke.

Mark just smiles.

Luke grins in return. "I'm going to get a head start and fill our water bottles so they can get cold in the frig."

"OK.", says Mark. "Sounds like a good idea."

Luke finds the water bottles and labels the twelve starters bottles with a permanent marker. He then takes them to the counter where the jug of water is setting. As everyone is busy no one really pays him any attention. He pours the contents of one mason jar into the water bottles of fellow player he knows he can trust then tops then off with clear pop. He then fills the other players bottles with water and places all them in the refrigerator to chill. As the coach walks in Luke has just finished getting suited up for his first High School game.

• 2 weeks later...

Game Announcer 1:" That's then end of the first quarter. Leading with a score of 18 to 12 Hazzard Cougars take an early lead over the Placid Beavers. The surprise of the evening has been Luke Duke, the quarterback for the Hazzard Cougars. Luke has scored two of the three touchdowns thus far and get this, is a Sophomore! This is his first High School game. The other touchdown for the Cougars was made by Wide Receiver Mark McCormick a Junior this year. Both touchdowns for the Beavers were made by Mike Miller a Senior."

As the teams switch ends of the field the players take advantage of the chance to grab a sip on their "Water" bottles. They line back up. Its the Cougars ball. The Beavers Defensive End, Ralph Green, is trying his best to intimidate Luke who is not being intimidated in the least. The ball snaps, Luke the ball carrier fakes out the Beavers, then manages to get out in front for another Hazzard touchdown! As the game continues, the Hazzard Cougars are becoming more and more confident due to the increasing score and also to Jesse's finest. The Beavers on the other hand are becoming more and more agitated. They had been the favorite to win. They had seasoned players and Hazzard had beginners. The Beavers were becoming careless and begin racking up penalties. A large part of the penalties were being earned by Ralph Green who was hearing about it after every play from the coach.

At halftime all eyes were on the Hazzard Band and Cheerleaders as they put on a well rehearsed show. In the the Cougar locker room the Hazzard Coach was extremely proud of his team. He was so excited that he didn't notice that several of his players had a bit of a glow to them that was not game induced. The guys were careful to refill their own water bottles with water so that no one caught on. Luke had managed to get to a position where he could catch some of the halftime show, namely Robin's part. Mark walked up behind Luke, "So which one of the cheerleaders are you sizing up?"

"Me? No one in particular. Just kinda studying the whole field." Luke lied since it was Marks sister he was checking out.

"Well, you better get over there and listen to Coach and get your mind back on the game. I think that Defensive End has it out for you." suggests Mark.

Luke laughs, "You know I think your right on both counts."

Game Announcer 1: "Wow!! Can you believe this?? We are about to start the 4th quarter here at the home field of the Hazzard Cougars and what a game this has been. The Cougars are leading the Beavers with a score of 42 - 18. As you know the Placid Beavers were favored to win tonight largely due to the fact that the Cougars only have three Seniors on their whole team."

Game Announcer 2: "Well, From my seat here I'd never known that! This Hazzard team is just that a "team"! On the other hand the Beavers who should be a seasoned team seem to be coming unglued! They are racking up unheard of penalties! Ralph Green, Defensive End, for the Beavers has received four of the penalties for Ruffing the Passer and several more.

Game Announcer 1: "Yes, it is beginning to look like Ralph Green and Luke Duke for the Cougars are taking this game personally."

Game Announcer 2: "Well, it appears the Green is trying to intimidate Duke from Hazzard. But folks we are seeing no signs of 'backing up' from the Cougars' Sophomore Quarterback. It looks like we are ready to begin the final quarter of this surprising start to the High School football season."

Its Hazzards ball as the 4th quarter begins. The Offensive team lines up with Cooter Davenport a Junior as Center. Cooter snaps the ball to Luke who calmly passes the ball to Wide Receiver Mark McCormick just as the Beaver's Defensive line swamps Luke again. The whistle blows as flags fly on the play. The penalty is once again called on the Beaver Defensive End, Ralph Green. A time out is called by the Beaver Coach who motions for Green to come off the field. Ralph expecting to get taken out of the game begins shouting threats and obscenities to Luke. Luke walks toward the much bigger Receiver and stands his ground, followed by the entire Cougar line. Referees and Coaches scurry to get in between the two whole teams. It takes several minutes to get the two teams back to their respective positions. The Beaver Coach benches Ralph Green for the rest of the game, while Hazzard's Coach replaces Luke for a few plays to let him calm down some.

From Robin McCormick's place with the cheerleaders, she had had a close up view of the events between Luke and Ralph. She was definitely impressed by Luke who had stood up to the larger player but then again Robin was impressed by Luke period. "Robin?" Jill questioned, "Earth to Robin. Hey, we need to get back at it. Which cheer is next?"

Robin smiles, "Huh?"

Jill is getting hipper, "Huh? What do you mean Huh? You didn't' hear a word i said did you?"

Admittedly, Robin blushes, "No, guess I didn't."

"Cheer? Which one? Remember that's why we are so 'lucky' to have this kinda view. Think we'd better earn our keep after that out there."

Robin who was acting as the head cheerleader until one could be voted on the next week, knew it was important to get the crowds attention off the mess on the field and side lines before they became upset and fights started in the crowds. However, she was so interested in what was going on with Luke she was having a hard time concentrating. "Your right. OK, let's do number 5." They lined to begin the cheer.

Game Announcer 1: "Touchdown Beavers! The Beavers are still trailing the Cougars with a score of 42-24 with 8 minutes on the clock in the 4th quarter."

Game Announcer 2: "It seems the Cougars were not able to gain as much ground on that last series of plays which made it easier for the Beavers to score."

Game Announcer 1: "I think you're right there. Since the Hazzard Coach took Luke Duke out the team has struggled to advance up the field. I for see that young man being a valuable player for the Cougars."

On the Hazzard side line the Coach searches his players. "Duke. Get back in there!"

Luke runs past putting his helmet back on, "Yes, sir!"

Game Announcer 2 "It seems the Hazzard Coach agrees with you. Look there goes #68. Yes, fokes, Luke Duke is going back into the game!"

Cooter and Mark see Luke approach. "Alright! Luke's coming back in!" shouts Cooter. "Let's move this ball. We got Luke back and that gorilla is still out!"

Luke hears Cooter. "You got that right. They expect me to run it, I'm handing off to Mark."

The ball snaps, Luke hands off to Mark and breaks to the left side of the field as Mark heads back and down the right side of the field. The Beavers are certain Luke has the ball. Luke lets them follow him all the way to the in field as Mark scored another touchdown for the Cougars unopposed!

Game Announcer 1: "Touchdown Cougars! 48 - 24 is now the score!" shouts the announcer who is obviously enjoying the game.

When the Cougars offense lines back up Luke says, "Same play. This time I'm carrying the ball but Mark make it look like you have the ball."

Cooter snaps the ball and charges the oncoming players to buy Luke and Mark some time. Luke acts like he has handed the ball to Mark and the separate. The Beavers all head towards Mark who is tackled at the 10 yard line as Luke crosses into the infield!

Game Announcer 1: "Touchdown Cougars! With only 3 minutes left on the clock the score is now 54 - 24!"

Game Announcer 2: "Man, the Cougars have scored twice in 5 minutes!"

The Beavers are only able to gain 5 yards on there next four carries. The Cougar offensive team quickly lines up.

Game Announcer 1: "As the Cougars line up at their 45 yard line the score remains 54 - 24 with the Beavers trailing. The time is 58 seconds on a running clock. Do you think the Cougars will just let the time run out?"

Game Announcer 2: "Not from what I've seen tonight. I think they will try another touchdown. Let's see!"

The ball snaps, Luke runs toward the left side of the field and is tackled on the Beaver's 45. They line back up. The ball snaps, Luke hands the ball to Mark and they both head down the right side of the field. The timer sounds just before Mark crosses into the infield.

Game Announcer 1: "Mark McCormick, the ball carrier, was able to complete the play after the buzzed sounded! Final score Hazzard Cougars 60, Placid Beavers 24!"

Game Announcer 2: "This is going to be an interesting season as these same two teams play each other again on Nov. 1st in Placid County."

• 2 weeks later...

After changing Luke, Mark and Cooter exit the Hazzard locker room. Luke asks, "Mark you are OK now to drive?"

Mark replies, "Yeah, sure that was several hours ago." As the trio heads for Marks' FireBird they hear someone call to them.

"Hey, guys!", called Robin. "Wait up a sec."

Mark sighes, "What now?"

Robin startes breathlessly, "Can Jill and I ride into town with you? Mom and Dad said they'd kill some time and let us go eat before going home."

"Oh, alright, but we have some importat stuff to do at the garage. So don't come over bothering us.", Mark fusses.

Knowing the Fire Bird will be crowded Cooter calls, "Shotgun!"

Luke just smiled. "Mark you know that it is nothing that can't wait at the garage. In fact I was going to suggest we stop off at the diner for a pizza before getting to work. My treat."

Cooter says, "Well, you sure talked me into it! What do you say Mark?"

"Alright. Alright. I know when I'm beat." Sighs Mark as they finish putting all their gear into the trunk.

Getting her courage up Robin suggests, "Luke, I have coupons for 'Buy 1 get 1 Free'. Jill and I could go in half with you and use a coupon and we'd both come out better."

"Tell you what just let me use the coupon and I'll still treat." insists Luke. Since Cooter has called 'shotgun' and Mark is driving, Luke heads towards Marks side of the car to get into the back seat.

On Cooters's side, Jill stands back to let Robin in first, who has to scoot over really close to Luke so that Jill can get in.

Narrator: "Kinda makes you wonder who's setting who up there don't it?"

Outside the Hazzard Diner, Mark parks the Fire Bird. He and Cooter jump out and are heading for the dinner. Luke releases the drivers seat so he can get out and hold the door and seat for Robin to get out as Jill is fighting with the seat on her side. Going into the dinner Luke holds the door for the girls. They head for a large table where Luke holds Robin's chair for her. There is much comotion as the diner is rapidly filling up with high school students so Lukes' sudle flirting goes unnoticed by everyone but Robin. Several more friends of theirs show up and they end up rearranging the whole dining room of the diner by scooting another larger table together with theirs. After stuffing on pizza and pop the crew was still talking about the game when an airhorn could be heard outside the dinner.

"Jill that's our ride." says Robin as she gets up. "Here Luke is that coupon."

"Thanks," replies Luke as he also gets up. "I'll go take care of the ticket now." He says to the others. As they round the corner, Luke asks, "Care to wait a second and I'll walk you all out to the truck."

"Sure. " says Robin.

Luke hands the cashier the ticket, coupon, and money. "I'll be back in a minute." Not wanting to keep Robin's father waiting. He reaches for Robin's hand before exiting the diner and says for only her to hear, "Can I call you tomorrow?"

Robin tries to keep her composure but is obviously happy, "I'd like that." she smiles and blushes.

Reaching the truck, Luke says, "Hey, Bill. Brenda."

Robin's father reponds, "That was some game tonight. Luke you did really well."

"Thanks. Figured I'd walk these two out and keep them out of trouble." Laughs Luke.

"Well, I appreciate you keeping an eye on them. I think." laughs Bill as the girls get into the truck.

A little later at the Hazzard Garage

Cooter unlocks the door, then he and Luke swing open the large doors so that Mark can put the Fire Bird inside. Once in they shut the doors back. No need in all of Hazzard knowing where they were. "So what time do you expect Jesse?" asks Cooter.

"Oh, I didn't tell you. He's not bringing Tilly until in the morning." replies Luke.

Mark suggests as he pops his trunk open, "Let's get our stuff upstairs then we can give this thing a once over to see where we need to start."

After taking the sleeping bags upstairs they begin to look over Marks' car. Cooter gets his tools out and covers the front fenders so they won't be scrated. Luke has gotten several of his and Cooters' car magazine's out. After a couple hours of checking the Fire Bird, Luke suggests, "If you all are about done here, I have a surprise upstairs. What do ya think we leave this until daylight and take some magaizes up and I'll show you what I brought?"

Having an idea what Luke may be talking about, both said, "Sounds good!" together.

Upstairs Luke pulls out the other quart of Moonshine from his things. "I was goingt o ask Jesse for this but it just didnt' seem like the right time, so don't mention it. OK?"

"You got it", responds Mark.

"No, Problem here." Replies Cooter. "Luke did you notice that that Defensive End was out to get you tonight?"

Luke laughs, "Well, Cooter it was kinda hard not to notice there Buddy!"

NARRATOR:The evening went by with the guys talking cars and sipping on Jesse's finest. In the wee hours of the morning the topic changed to more important things -- WOMEN!

It was Mark who changed the subject, "So you have both had time to check out field. Have either of you found a target yet??"

Cooter was at the point of feeling no pain and his wits were dimmer than normal, "Field? What kind of target?"

Mark smiles, "Girls!?"

Cooter laughs at himself, "Oh. OK! Well, there is that Kathy Roberts. Man, would I ever... " Cooter lets the thought go unsaid.

They all have a good laugh. Mark asks, "What about you there Luke?"

"Well, I think I'll just keep my options open for now." says Luke. Hoping that Mark hadn't seen or thought anyting about the exchange with his sister.

The conversation and shine dewindled -- soon it was past time for bed. Knowing that Jesse would be there just after chores with Tilly, the boys decided it was time to head off to bed. They each drifted off into slumber as dreams of the game, cars and girls crossed their minds.

6:30 am Hazzard Garage:

New Character : Luther Davenport ---Cooter's father, also a good friend of Jesse and all the Dukes

Luke was the first to wake to the knocks at the front garage door. He grabbed his jeans, quickly putting them on and heading for the door while still trying to shake out the cob webs in his head. Bare footed and no shirt he opened the door to find his Uncle Jesse and Bo impatiently waiting for the garage door to open to get Tilly out of sight. After opening the main door, Luke finished getting dressed and woke Cooter and Mark. Along with Jesse and Luther, the boys spent most of the morning helping to put all the new parts on Tilly. They got some needed advice about Marks' Fire Bird before the older two men left them at the garage around noon.

As the guys all began to sand down some of the ruff spots on the Fire Bird, Luke took the opportunity to grab the phone and headed toward the back door unnoticed by the others. He took a deep breath and dialed the number from memory (as he called Mark often). The phone only rang twice when Luke heard Robin answer, "Hello."

"Robin?" he asked to make sure it was her.

"Yes, this is Robin." she answered.

"Good. This is Luke." He began. "I know I had asked if I could call but wasn't sure how your parents might feel about me calling for you instead of Mark."

Robin replied, "Well, I dont' know how they would feel about it either. So, I'm glad I answered the phone."

"Well, I'm glad you answered to. I couldn't very well ask for Mark as they know we are together at the garage." stated Luke.

Turning beet red, Robin asked surprised, "You're calling from the garage? Who all is there?"

Luke replied, "Yeah, I'm still at the garage. Mark, Cooter, Bo and myself are here."

Trying not to care if they knew Luke called her, but knowing Mark would make her live hard. She asked, "Do they know who you're talking to?"

Luke laughed, "I don't even think they know I'm on the phone. Does it matter?"

Quickly. A little too quickly, Robin replied, "No. Of course not." she paused, "It's just you know how Mark can be."

Luke again laughed, "You mean him being as annoying as Bo?"

"That's exactly what I mean. You've been at the house when he starts on me." she said.

"Yes, I have. Well, I won't let them know who I'm talking to if you dont' want me too...." Luke is interupted by Robin.

"I just think it would be better if I talk to Mom and Dad about you calling before they all know." she explains.

Luke can see her point, "Ok, I see where you're coming from. If you want me too I could talk to them and see if they mind my calling."

Robin considered this. Knowing her Dad had told her she could not date until she was sixteen, she thought it may take some doing to be able to get phone calls from guys. "Thanks. But, I think I may have better luck."

"Well, Ok. Let me know if you change your mind about it...." Luke is interupted by the guys. All three were standing in the doorway.

Bo said, "Who ya talking to there Luke?"

"Change their mind about what?" asked Cooter.

"Keeping your options open huh??" said Mark.

If looks could kill they would have all been dead meat when Luke turned toward them. Into the phone Luke said, "Hang on a sec." To the three stooges behind him, "I'll be in there in a minute. Give me a second, huh?"

Again Bo asked, "Who are you talking to Luke?" not knowing when he was ahead.

"Bo!" Luke shouted as he began to get up from the pile of tires he was setting on.

Cooter and Mark both grabbed Bo to rescue him. "Come on Bo!" They said as they took him inside to the 'safety' of the garage.

Luke sighed, "Sorry about that. I have been discovered."

Robin laughed, "So I hear. Who are you going to tell them you were talking to?"

"Well, I just won't tell them. If they push I'll make up some one. So if you hear Mark harassing me about talking to someone else, just remember it was you."

Robin laughed again, "I will. Should I let you go before they come back?"

"Probably, but I'm really not ready to get off the phone." answered Luke.

"Me either." Robin said blushing.

"Can you call me back later?" asked Luke.

Robin considered this. "I'd love to, but I think it would be better for you to call me. I'm not allowed to call..."

Luke smiled. He had been priviledged to this decussion at the McCormick's before, yet it had slipped his mind. "Say no more. Daisy can't call guys back either. Would it be OK for me to call later?"

"I think it will be. I'll try talking to them before you call and I'll try to answer the phone. If it doesn't work, I'll tell you Mark is or isn't home."

Luke replied, "Ok, got ya. I really had better go see what they are up to or they will be back."

"Ok. Luke...." Robin said.

"Yeah, " said Luke.

"I'm glad you called and I had fun the other night at the diner." Robin said through a blush.

"I did too. Maybe I'll see you this weekend. Might come over to see, ah, Mark." Luke hears the guys heading his way. "Hear they come. Got to go."

Thinking it would be nice if Luke came to see 'Mark'. She said, "Sounds good. Bye, Luke." As she hangs up the phone she sqeals, "YES!!!" about the time her younger brother walks in and gives her a look like she had lost her mind. She smiles timidly and walks out of the kitchen to the TV room with the phone. She had to call Jill.

Later at the McCormick house:

Robin is fixing dinner as Brenda is setting the table.

NARRATOR: See a lot of things are different here in Hazzard County. Brenda hates to cook.

Brenda turns to her daughter, "Since all the guys (meaning Bill, Mark, and David) all are working or have plans why don't you call your friends and we will all go skating."

"Sounds great. I'll tell them we'll pick them up in about an hour?" replied Robin.

With supper left on the stove for the men Robin and her Mother left to pick up Jill and a few other girl friends of Robin's. Unlike most parants Brenda liked to skate as much as the teenagers did. They all enjoyed the early evening session of skating and were headed back home when Robin saw her chance to ask about Luke calling. "Mom you know that you all say I can't go out on dates until I'm 16, right?" asked Robin.

"Right." replies Brenda.

"I'll be 16 in a few months. If I can't go out until then, can I at least have some friends who are guys?" asked Robin.

"Do you mean boyfriends?" asked her Mother wanting to be very clear what was being asked here.

Robin replied, "No, not exactly. Just friends who are guys. Like when we all go skating next time could we maybe have some guy friends to go with us as a group? Since you will be there you'd know what was going on. And you all have known most of the guys in our class for years."

Again Brenda is considering this very carefully before answering. "Well, I'll talk to your Dad. If its OK by him I don't have a problem with it. Just no 'necking' in the back seat!" she said jokingly.

Robins' friend Kathy Roberts spoke up, "Ok, then I want the front seat!"

Brenda was speechless as the teen explained, "If I'm going to 'neck' with a guy then I'm not going to be ashamed of him, so it doesn't matter to me if you see!" They all had a good laugh!

"So, Mom, since you all know these guys, would it be OK if one of them called occassionaly?" Robin asked while holding her breath slightly.

"Is there someone your especially asking about or is this just a general question?" questioned Brenda.

Robin thought tact was the best course of action, "Well, its pretty much a general question. I mean how can I expect to start dating at 16, a few months away, if I haven't got to talk to anyone other than at school in front of their friends?"

Brenda replied with a smile, "Well, its not as if you have to have your first date booked before your sixteen birthday."

"I know." said Robin.

"I think it would be OK but not after 9pm and your home work is done first. And you have to remember their is one phone line for 5 people." cautioned Brenda.

Smiling Robin agreed, "That's fine by me! Thanks Mom!" she paused, "There was this one guy last night who asked if he could call me tonight. I told him it would be OK for him to call tonight, but that he may not be able to continue to call."

Knowing she had been roped in Brenda smiled. She could see the excitement in Robin's eyes, "Who was this 'guy'?" she inquired.

Here was the moment Robin kind of dreaded. She knew that her parents liked Luke as Mark's friend, but how would they feel about him wanting to call her. Robin knew they had heard all the stories about Luke that she had heard. Even at this young age Luke's reputation with girls was not the best, though he seemed like a really nice guy. Robin knew the truth was best so she answered Brenda truthfully, "Luke Duke." And held her breath waiting for the reply.

"Robin, ...." Brenda started.

"Mom, I know that you have heard all those stories too. You saw when he walked us to the truck. Believe me, he said or did nothing out of the way. He asked could he call me and held my hand from the cash register to the truck. Do you really think he'd try something and have to deal with Mark, not to mention Dad?" Robin said trying not to sound as if she was begging.

Brenda sighed, "OK, he can call you. I'm not promising that you'll be able to date him, but he can call occassionally between homework and 9pm."

Robin agreed, "Thanks Mom!"

Mark drove Luke, Bo and Cooter out to the Duke Farm with plenty of time for Luke to get all his and Bo's evening chores done. Being the friends the guys were they all pitched in and had them done in time for supper. "Since you guys helped out so much least I can do is invite you to stay for supper." stated Luke.

They readily excepted.

As the supper dishes were being cleared from the table Jesse motioned for Luke. Once in the living room he asked, "Are you wanting to invite the guys to stay over?"

"Well, I hadn't mentioned it, but if you wouldn't mind." replied Luke.

Jesse smiled, "Luke, I don't mind having company. It's just that there is a trip tonight."

Lukes' eyes lite up, "Am I driving?" He asked hopefully.

"Not tonight. This is going to be tricky tonight. Think they would mind hanging out with Bo and the others until we get back and they can stay." suggested Jesse.

Luke replied, "I'm sure they can play cards or find something to do for a few hours."

"Ok, then we're all set. Are you ready?" asked Jesse.

Looking at the clock which showed 8:30 pm. "Uncle Jesse, can I have a few minutes on the phone? There is someone I'm supposed to call."

Jesse smiled, "Sounds kinda important? Who's the lucky girl."

"It's just she wasn't sure if her parents will let her have calls from guys. I'd kinda like to call and see where I stand before everybody makes something out of nothing." explained Luke.

"Ok, but don't stay on the phone too long. I'll grab a cup of coffee and meet you on the porch." says Jesse.

"I'll only be a few minutes. Can you keep it quiet about where I am?" asked Luke hopefully.

On the way back from skating a powerfull motor can be heard quickly coming up behind Brenda's car and shortly passes the ladies. They have a ring side seat as in the intersection before them State Police and Revernuers block the car from entering the other roads. The speedy car slides into a 180 degree turn, then peels out to speed back the way it came, past Brenda and the girls who had slowed down to watch. All the cars blocking the roads and the unseen one following it take off after the speedy car.

"Wow! Did you see that?" Asked Kathy.

"I sure can't wait to learn how to drive like that. They must have been going really fast. Did you hear the tires sqeal?"

Jill agrees, "They had to be really good drivers to do that!"

Brenda shakes her head. "They were moving pretty fast there but you don't really have to be going that fast to do some of those things."

Jill disagreed, "Oh, yes you do. You saw them."

Giving the girls a knowing smile, "You can probably do that at 25 to 30 miles per hour."

All the girls at the same time replied, "No way!"

"I'm telling you that you can." replied Brenda.

Robin had to ask, "You sound like you know this for a fact?"

Brenda smiles smuggly, "I do."

Together the girls ask, "How?" unbelievingly.

"You know the straight stretch out by the County line?"

The girls nodded yes.

Brenda continues, "Well, my friends and I used to go out with my brother and we would all race out there on Friday and Saturday nights."

"No way!" replied Robin.

"Really", asked Kathy.

"You are kidding?", questioned Jill.

Laughing at the reactions Brenda said, "I'm seriours. Wait until we get out of town." When she got out of town and came to a 'Stop' sign she said, "All you have to do to peel out is hold the brake and gas at the same time." She said as she did this the car sqealed its tires just enough to be heard. "See I'm not going fast at all," she checked her mirrors before continueing the thought, "to slide just hit the brakes pretty quick." The car slide to a stop.

The girls eyes were as big as saucers!

"Ok, what about when they sqealed around the curve back there? They had to go fast to do that.", insisted Jill.

Brenda checked her speed. She was doing 27 miles per hour. "Watch this. I'm just going to cut the curve a little steep." As she took the next turn more steeply than normal the tires began to cry. Brenda strightened the car up some and they quit. "Now you all seen how to do it. You will be getting your licenses soon and driving my car. All that wears out the tires. If my tires begin to wear out too fast after you all start driving then you won't get the car anymore. Got it?"

They all agreed. "Mom can the girls stay over tonight? Please?"

"It's OK by my if it's alright at your homes.", Brenda responded for Jill's benefit not saying 'with your parents'.

"Can we stop off somewhere to call?" Asked Robin.

Brenda suggested, "What do you say we stop by Jill's and call Kathy's house from there, since her house is further out?"

"Great!", replied the girls.

The fall sun had set by the time the ladies got to the McCormick's house. The mob of females came into the quiet house. The relative silence Bill had been enjoying while reading his book was no more. His younger son was off with his cousin for the night. His older son had phoned to say he was staying at the Duke farm tonight. Now he was being invaded by a house full of females. The phone could barely be heard ringing over the noise.

However, Robin did hear it and raced for the phone. "Hello." She said above the noise of her friends in the background.

Luke could hear the comotion on the other end, "Did I call at a bad time?"

"No.", Robin said waving her arms at the others behind her to try to quieten them down.

Bill gave Brenda a questining look.

Robin continued, "We just got back from skating. That's Mom, Jill and Kathy in the background."

"Did you have fun?" Luke asked.

Robin stretched the phone to the furthest corner away from her father especially, "Yes, maybe you all can go next time." She suggested lowly.

Luke replied, "Sounds good to me. I take it that it is OK I called?" He said hopefully.

"I talked to Mom and its OK. She just hasn't talked to Dad yet. But I'm sure it will be OK." Explained Robin.

"OK, I see. I just had a few minutes to call and see what was up. I have to help Jesse do somethings tonight." Luke vaguely explained. "So it is OK for me to call tomorrow?"

"Yes, should be OK as long as it's before 9pm and I have all my homework done which it is for this weekend." said Robin. "Guess what was going on out on Rt 4 tonight?"

Robin had Luke's full attention as she told him of the car chase they had seen.

"State Police? What did the other chase cars look like?" questioned Luke trying not to act as interested as he was.

"The cars were unmarked but Mom thought it may have been revenurers. They were driving plan black sedans." replied Robin.

Luke had to ask about the car being chased, "What about the car that past you all? What did it look like?"

"I don't know much about cars, but it was a really big Black car. The paint on it was not shiny at all. A real dull looking car.", Robin described.

It was enough description for Luke. "That's Ok. Just wondered what it looked like. Doesn't sound like a car I've seen before." he lied. "Mark is staying here tonight. Maybe I can come over with him tomrrow afternoon for awhile."

Robin had totally forgot about Lukes' questions about the cars, "I'd like that." she smiled.

"I'll do my best. I really have to get off here and get to work. If I don't come over I'll call before nine." said Luke.

"Yeah, I need to get back to my company too. Night."

"Good Night, Robin. You girls stay out of trouble." he said as he hung up and went straight to the porch.

"Well, its about time you got finished in there." Jesse laughed. "Are you ready?"

Luke nodded. "Guys I'll be back soon." He said to his friends and cousins who were setting on the porch. Luke and Jesse walked to the barn. After getting to the barn he began to tell Jesse what Robin had unknowingly told him..... "Uncle Jesse, I was just talking to Robin McCormick, "

Jesse interrupts, "Oh, so she's the special lady!" states Jesse.

Luke slightly embarassed, "Yeah, well, she's the one I was telling you about calling. The important thing, right now, is what she told me. She said when they were on their way back from skating out on Rt. 4. there was a car chase going on right out in broad daylight!" exclaimed Luke. He continued, "She said there was State Police and what her Mom figured as Revenuers. The car that she said they were chasing sure sounded like Old Mr. Harper's runner."

"Well, if I know Charles, you don't have anything to worry about, but we'll check it out before we load." Jesse paused thoughtfully, "So how do you feel about having your first shake down tonight?" He questioned Luke.

Luke gave him a surprised look, "Me? Shook down? You said I wasn't driving."

"You won't be running the shine, but you will be driving the runner. They may ticket you for not having a license but if you play it just right they may think you're only joy riding in the car and call me. Are you game?" asked Jesse.

Game to get one over on the police? And Jesse encouraging it? How could old Luke refuse, "You bet ya!" He said with wide eyes!

Jesse began to explain what he wanted Luke to do........

A couple of hours later. True to Jesse's' words Charles Harper had indeed managed to loose the law. After briefing Bo and Daisy what to say if anyone called for him Jesse and Luke took off to still site number 2 with Jesse's' pickup and old Tilly. Both vehicles were backed up the bank into the bushes that hide them pretty well. After loading 50 gallons of Jesse's' finest on to the pick up they took off in different directions. Jesse's' plan surrounded newest thing on the market which the law in Hazzard County did not have yet. Both vehicles were equipped with those new Citizen Band Radios -- CBs! Jesse took the handle of "Shepard". Luke would be "Lost Sheep 1". They had both radios on channel 17 -- later known as Shepard's' channel.

Luke headed straight for Rt. 4 as Jesse had instructed. Robin's information proved correct, Luke noted as he shot passed the State Police cruiser. Knowing Tilly was a runner the State Police pulled out behind Luke. "Shepard, this is Lost Sheep." Luke said into the CB mic.

"This is Shepard coming back at you Lost Sheep." replied Uncle Jesse.

"Shepard, I've got that fish on the line." responded Luke.

Jesse smiled at the youth's calmness, "10-4, just give him enough line to hang himself." Jesse replied. Still not trusting the new gizmo he simply said, "Keep up the good work and remember what I told you."

Luke replied, "10-4. Lost Sheep out."

This was more fun than he expected as he geared Tilly down into passing gear. Luke rounded a bend in the road and saw the Revenuers car blocking the road. Thinking fast he turned old Tilly into the open field on the right. After a couple of laps Luke headed back to the main road followed only by the State Police. The revenuers had gotten stuck up in a gofer hole. With dust flying Luke leads the State Police on away from town. Checking his mirrors and slowing just a bit, Luke was careful not to loose the cruiser too soon. He checked his watch, seeing that he had kept up the chase as long as Jesse wanted him too. Luke smiled, "Well, OK! Now I might get to drive more!" he exclaimed to no one.

A second cruiser joined the first State car. Luke rounded a steep bend where the road narrowed. The dim lights of the moon runner hit the star of the Hazzard County Cruiser broad side in the road blocking both lanes. Luke checked his mirrors. Both cruisers behind him where side by side. Realizing he was boxed in by the cruisers, a hill on one side and a steep drop off on the other, Luke swore to himself as he locked up the car sliding to a stop just inches away from the Hazzard Cruiser.

As Tilly came to a stop Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane stepped off the hillside toward the drivers door. "OK, Hold it right there Jesse Duke. Shut off the engine." He said before seeing that it was Luke driving.

Luke did shut down the cars engine.

By this time the Revenuers had gotten unstuck and had caught up to the group. The first Revenuer came up, "Well, we finally got you Jesse. Just get on out of there." In the darkness he could not see the driver only the car as he approached.

Luke opened the door and the dome light came on. For the first time the group saw it was not Jesse Duke driving but his teenage nephew. Trooper Blevins spoke first, "Luke Duke?" He said unbelievingly, "What are you doing out here and trying to out run us?"

Rosco exclaimed, "Luke Duke?!"

Luke trying to look a bit ashamed of himself while answering Trooper Blevins, "Well, Sir. I'm sorry. I was just going to drive over to a friends when you all pulled out behind me. I didn't want Uncle Jesse to know I had the car."

"You mean Jesse doesn't know you have the car?" asked Rosco.

Looking at his shoes, "No, he was gone. Figured I could go and get back before he got home."

The second Revenuer asked, "Well, why in the world didn't you just ask for the car?" Not realizing Luke was not licensed.

"I didn't figure he'd let me take in on the road." replied Luke.

First Revenuer, "Well, why wouldn't he?"

Trying to hide a grin and look really innocent, "Because I can't get my license for another three months."

The Second Revenuer said barely heard by the others, "Great! We have this much trouble catching this kid and he's not even got his license yet!"

The First Revenuer said shaking his head, "Heaven help us when he does get his license. Out ran by a 15 year old!"

Also trying to hide his laughter, Trooper Blevins asks, "Can you drive this thing to town?" Trooper Blevins had little options of dealing with a 15 year old but to just call Jesse.

Surprised Luke replied, "Sure, that is if you'll let me."

The Trooper exclaimed, "Let you. Hell, I wished most of my guys drove that well!' Then suggests to the others, "What do you all think about me following our young friend to town where I can get a hold of Jesse to come pick him up?"

A disappointed group nodded their approval.

Luke shyly asked, "Ah, do you have to call Uncle Jesse? I won't see daylight until I'm ninety."

With a slight smile, "Well, I might be able to get some work done if you don't see daylight until you ninety. Come on. Take it slow and I'll follow you to town. I'll meet you guys back out here in a bit."

Looking really unhappy, Luke said, "Yes, Sir." He got into Tilly, started her and turned her around heading back to town followed by Trooper Blevins. After pulling out from the group and back into the darkness, Luke allowed himself to smile at the traffic stop. He had gotten out of it with only a phone call to Jesse and got to drive the car to town!

Chickasaw County:

Jesse had just delivered the shine without a hitch and was heading home. He wondered just how Luke's shuck-and-jive had turned out. He reached the farm about 45 minutes later. As he pulled up to the porch he was meet by Bo, Daisy, Jeb, Coy, Vance, Mark and Cooter. Bo delivered the message that he expected.

"Uncle Jesse," Bo began, "Trooper Blevins called about 10 minutes ago. We told him you were visiting a sick friend and would be home soon, like you told us to. Luke is at his office with Tilly. Trooper Blevins said just come down and pick them both up." Bo said all in one sentence. He said worriedly. He was worried even though Jesse's plan had went off with out a hitch and was glad Luke wasn't in trouble with the law.

Jesse studied the group. "Mark you say you got your license? I'm going to need another licensed driver to get Tilly home. Unless I just leave her at the garage."

Proud that Jesse had asked for his assistance, no matter how small a part, he said beaming, "Yes, Sir. I have my license and will help out how ever I can."

"Good. You can go with me. I'll drive Tilly back home and you and Luke can bring the pickup. Just remember, I'm supposed to be really mad at Luke." said Jesse.

Standing just a bit taller. Mark said, "Yes, Sir. I'm ready when you are." He said heading for Jesse's truck.

Duke Farm Sunday afternoon

After everyone gathered for a quick lunch Jeb, Coy, Bo, Cooter and Vance planned a fishing trip for their afternoon entertainment. Bo asked, "Luke are you sure you and Mark don't want to come fishing with us?"

"Well, I'd hoped to go to Mark's for a bit if you don't mind Uncle Jesse?" he questioned.

"I don't mind just remember school tomorrow." Jesse reminded.

Luke looked at Jesse hopeful, "I'll remember. Are you going anywhere today?"

Reading his nephews mind, "Ok, I'll be by around 5 for you."

Luke grinned from ear to ear, "Thanks Uncle Jesse! Come on Mark." He said as he hurried to Mark's car.

Daisy saw the look on Luke's face, "Gee, he looks like you gave him a season pass to the NASCAR races. What's his rush Mark?"

"Beats me!" exclaimed Mark in his rush to catch up with Luke.

McCormick house

Marks car could be heard pulling into the yard. Robin about broke her neck to see outside without being seen. Yes, Luke was with Mark. The girls had left earlier so now all she had to do was act like she didn't expect him. She hurried to her room to brush her long hair. She checked the mirror. She had on a snug red T-Shirt with some sort of Logo on it with a pair of cut off jean shorts. It would have to do. If she changed now her parents were sure to suspect it was for Luke's benefit. She listened, the big house was still quite. She checked out front nothing. They must be in the garage she thought. What could she do to check out what was up outside? She had it. Monday is trash day. She quickly bagged the trash and headed out to the outside barrels.

Mark had backed up under the carport in front of the garage to get the Firebird out of the sun thinking he and Luke might wash it. Bill and Brenda were working on some yard decorations for Fall that would be the basis for the Halloween decorations to come later. As promised Brenda had talked to Bill about Luke calling Robin last night and they were continuing their talk when the boys pulled in.

Luke spotted Marks parents in the yard before Mark got parked. He sighed thining to himself, "OK, Moment of truth here." He spoke to Marks parents politely as he usually did when he visited their home as Mark pulled out the water hose.

"I thought we'd give the car a wash job if you don't care?" he said as a question though he was already making prepartions to do so.

Bill replied, "That's fine Mark. Luke I'd like to talk to you."

Meeting Bill's eyes Luke said much to Bill's surprise. "I was hoping to talk to you also."

Mark looked at them questioning then to his Mother. It was this time the back door slammed as Robin took out the trash. Three sets of eyes looked at her as Mark looked at all of them thinking he had missed something. Then, Bill began watching Luke watch Robin who was looking to see what they were doing.

NARRATOR: Let's see Robin went out to watch Luke, who was watching her, while her Dad watched him, while being watched by Mark. Now that we have everyone watching everyone, don't go away folks.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing that all eyes were now on them, Bill nodded towards the house, "Come on let's take this inside." They crossed the driveway and past Robin who was trying to act busy with the trash. Entering through the laundry room Luke paused to remove his boots. Bill poured two Cokes and then headed through the TV room, main living room into 'his' room. Luke followed Bill into the unfamiliar rooms of the house he had often visited. The living room was used only during holidays and special occassions though he had been to Bill's room a couple of times. Bill closed the door behind them.

Narrator: "Now most young men would begin to worry about now!" The walls and desks are covered with guns of all shapes and calibers, gun parts, loading equipment to reload ammunition, books, etc dealing with guns.

Bill reaches over on the desk and picks up a .357 Magnum. "This is the newsest addition."

Luke eyes the pistol, "That is a nice one." Bill opened the cyclinder and unloaded it. Leaving the cyclinder open he handed it to Luke who closed it and held the gun to get the 'feel' of it. "I like the wooden stocks on it. It fits your hand good." stated Luke.

Bill nodded, "Yes, it does. Now, Luke, your family and mine go way back. I have always liked you, but, where Robin is concerned....."

"Bill I know you have heard stories about me just like Robin and most of this County has and I'm sure that you know how guys talk. True or not they talk adding to the stories as it goes and being guys we don't usually try to deny the untruths. I can understand your concern for your daughter being the reputation that I do have. I would only like to get to know Robin better." Luke interupts Bill.

"Luke, Robin is 15. I do not want her hurt or her reputation in question at 15." Bill states.

Luke is quick to reply, "I have no intention of hurting her nor will I let her reputation be in question. I've known her through Mark for a long time I respect her. I respect you not wanting her hurt." Luke pauses. Looking Bill in the eye, "I give you my word I will be the most proper gentleman around your daughter. I also give you my word that no one will make any unfavorable remarks about her as long as I'm around."

Bill has been studying Luke throughout his conversation. He also knew how Jesse felt and had installed in his nephews the importance of keeping your word. "Luke, Robin is my only daughter. I will not stand for her to be hurt in any way. If you are willing to give me your word, I expect it to be kept. I also expect you to come talk to me before things go further than 'getting to know each other' if you get my drift and that conversation better be a long way off. I'll take your word only if you are willilng to 'spit and shake' on it.

Luke looked a bit surprised. Bill was asking him to give him his word 'as a moonshiner' with this request. Without a moments hesistation he looked Bill in the eye, held up his hand, spit and held his hand out to Bill. Bill met his eyes, also holding up his hand, spit and met Lukes hand, they shook hands sealing the deal with Luke giving Bill his word as a moonshiner not to let Robin be hurt. With a tear in Bill's eye he turned before Luke could notice. Bill reached for a small tool box which held hearing and eye protectors. He also picked you a box of .357 shells and asked Luke who was still holding the gun, "Let's you, me and Mark go have some fun.

Luke grinned ear to ear, "You got it!" he replied knowing that he and Bill had not only reached an agreement but that he was being accepted and tested at the same time. He still wondered how Bill knew about the 'word of a moonshiner'. As far as he knew Bill was not into such things, he'd have to ask Uncle Jesse sometime. They went outside, got Mark and went up the road shooting. No sooner had they returned and placed the tool box inside Rosco showed up. Bill denied being the one shooting and said he'd heard it too coming from up the road. Rosco took off to find the person shooting the guns and destrubing the peace. Mark, Luke and Bill had a good laugh as Rosco went on a 'wild goose chase'! Bill said "I'm going in let me know if Rosco doesn't come back in a little while. We may have to go looking for him." as he entered the house Robin was at the sink. Bill mischievously said, "What are you doing in here with your 'bow' outside?"

Robin looked a bit shocked. "You mean its OK for me to go out and talk to Luke?" she asked.

Bill looked at his only daughter, "Yes, its OK. Luke and me have an understanding. Just remember you are still not 'dating' until you are at least 16."

Robin hugged her Dad in a big bear hug, smiling ear to ear, "Thanks Daddy!" she said before almost running out the door.

Sunday night found the Dukes setting on the porch enjoying the cool breezes of early fall. Jesse sipped his coffee while whittling a piece of wood. Off in the distance a whirperwill called to its mate then its mate was heard further off. Jesse finished his coffee and checked his watch, "Ok, kids its about time for you all to head in." The group of teens got up heading inside. Jesse stopped Luke waiting until all the others had gotten into the house, "Luke the other night," Jesse paused, "I want you to know you did a good job."

"I tried to do what you asked." replied Luke proudly.

"You did more than what I asked. You kept your cool, stayed calm, and played it real well. That can mean a lot in this business. A good head on your shoulders is just as important, maybe more so, than a lead foot and fast car. Sometimes out smarting the other side ahead of time has better results than having to out run them." Jesse advised.

Luke was listening intently, "Kinda like in football? Who ever uses the right plays advances more yards?"

Jesse smiled, "Exactly. Do you like learning History in school?"

Confused, Luke replied, "No, not really. I think it is boring. What does History have to do with football or moonshining?"

That was the response he thought he'd get from his oldest nephew, "Strategy! Unless they have changed things this year you should be studying the Civil War, right?"

"Yeah, but we haven't gotten into too much yet." replied Luke.

Jesse advised, "You can learn a lot from the great Generals on both sides about strategy. Generals Robert E. Lee, Jeb Stewart, Stonewall Jackson, Ulysses S. Grant, Robert E. Rodes, Thomas F. Meagher just to name a few. War strategy can be applied to life in many ways." he said thoughtfully.

Jesse's pep talk had at least given Luke a different outlook on History. He thought about the things Jesse said as he layed in bed. Maybe he would try to get interested in History this year. After all he wanted to be a good moonshiner and football player so he'd give it a try.