Building the General's Push Bar

CDoherty95

Hey y'all :) as some of you may know i built a General Lee bike over the summer.

Now Ive come up with the crazy idea to build and mount a push bar onto the front of the bike!!

And I'm going over to New York next week so ill pick up some bike accessories while I'm there :)

I'm sure if anybody can do it, you can! Show us pictures when you've added it.

Ya know, you should do another bike up, like a Hazzard County patrol car. Be kinda fun to have one of your friends chase you around the neighborhood with it. Of course, you'd have to make sure that patrol car bike was a little slower. :wink:

Ya know, you should do another bike up, like a Hazzard County patrol car.

Believe it or not Brian but I've been toying with that idea since christmas. I was going to build one over the summer but I had to build the second Lee.

Hopefully I could get started on one when I get back from New York,although I'm not sure if it's legal to have lights and sirens on a civilians bike (it would be fun to use them though :D )

Believe it or not Brian but I've been toying with that idea since christmas. I was going to build one over the summer but I had to build the second Lee.

Hopefully I could get started on one when I get back from New York,although I'm not sure if it's legal to have lights and sirens on a civilians bike (it would be fun to use them though :D )

Go for it! As long as the bike doesn't look like your local official police bikes, and you're not trying to impersonate an officer, or pull over people, (other than your friends) it shouldn't be that big of deal. Then again, I consider most things legal unless I have a citation to prove otherwise.

This is what british and irish police bicycles look like.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Police_bicycle.jpg

Id say providing i don't pull people over or use the lights and sirens to get people out of my way i should be ok.

Besides, judging by all the police chases I've ever seen the police will all crash if they give chase :D haha

But on a more serious note,did anyone with a rosco car have any legal issues with the lights,siren,and badges?

I'd say you should be alright. As Dara O'Briain (Irish comedian) says:

"There are three states of legality in Irish law. There is all this stuff which comes under 'That's grand', then it moves into 'Ah now don't push it', and finally it comes under 'Right now you're takin the p***', and that's when the police come in."

I'm sure you're covered by the first two :).

• 3 months later...

I started on the pushbar today with some scrap bike I had lying around in my back yard.

Unfortunately the General is in a workshop until Friday,so I'll have to wait until then to mount it.

So far I've got it all drilled and bolted together (I couldn't find anyone with a welder willing to do such a small job) and I've put body filler in the gaps and holes.

I'll try and upload pictures later when my camera charges up.

Firstly apolgies for the poor quality. I had to take these on my phone.

Secondly the pushbar is nowhere near finished yet. It still has to be sanded,primered,painted and mounted.

2713e5bc.jpg

This is a side view showing how it fit together. Because I didn't have access to a welder I just used whatever bolts I had in my garage.

5eb066ee.jpg

And finally a side view of the whole pushbar

5c13f03d.jpg

The bike in the left background isn't the General Lee,it's my brothers jump bike.

And speaking of jump bikes.....

DSCI0338.jpg

That's me and what was left of the 2nd unit Rosco replica. It was built for the final scene in a short video I'm making with my friends featuring the General Lee,Rosco and moonshine...

I won't say what happens in the video but as you can see a drop in the background of the picture I think you can probably tell what ends up happening...