The Hazzard Garage (Cooter's Garage)

Mark B / Scooter Davenport

• 1 month later...

Since enough is never enough, I'm moving on down the road and creating the buildings directly adjacent to the garage- Rhuebottoms General Store and O'Connor's Paint Supply.

Unlike the garage set, these buildings were just facades with very little depth.  In fact, O'Connor's Paint Supply was just a front wall attached on one side to a telephone pole type post for stability. 

For my model, I'm treating the buildings as 'real' and completing the backs- we saw the back door of Rhuebottoms at least once (using a generic metal shed wall someplace on the Warner lot), so I'll match that.  We did see the inside of Rhuebottoms store a couple times (as well as the store room where Boss was stashing stolen fur coats), but I won't be adding interior details like I did with the garage.  These buildings are just to add 'atmosphere' next to the garage and provide additional locations for some more model cars, trucks, and my Rhuebottoms delivery van.

I'm using HossC's excellent drawings as my starting point!

23576499111_07dd6452e1_k.jpgUntitled by mommydawn2000, on Flickr​

23391924140_2eab913117_k.jpgblueline by mommydawn2000, on Flickr​

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Or somebody tricked a local kid into whitewashing the whole building.

Hey, don't knock it. I made an apple, a kite, a dead rat, twelve marbles, part of a jews-harp, a piece of blue bottle-glass to look through, a spool cannon, a key that wouldn't unlock anything, a fragment of chalk, a glass stopper of a decanter, a tin soldier, a couple of tadpoles, six fire-crackers, a kitten with only one eye, a brass doorknob, a dog-collar -- but no dog -- the handle of a knife, four pieces of orange-peel, and a dilapidated old window sash out of that deal :).

4 hours ago, jacobsoj74 said:

I'm building several building from hazzard square in 1/43.  I was wondering how you figured out the actual size of the buildings and then scaled them down to 1/25?  Do you have computer software or a special program to design them on?  Thanks so much!

I use CorelDraw exclusively.  I'd suggest buying an older copy as the current versions can be quite expensive.

I import screen captures from the show and draw directly over them, then find some element as a scale reference- for instance, the size of a standard door is around 80 inches.  You then enlarge everything to fit, and/or down to the correct model scale (80 inches in 1/25 is 3.2 inches) and print.

You won't get it 100% perfect, but very close.

26 minutes ago, Mark B / Scooter Davenport said:

I use CorelDraw exclusively.  I'd suggest buying an older copy as the current versions can be quite expensive.

I've just checked out a well-known auction site, and you can get a 3-user Home and Student version of CorelDraw X6 for $49.99. The latest version (X7) is $129.99 for the Home and Student version from coreldraw.com. The full commercial-use version is $499!

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 0:57 PM, Mark B / Scooter Davenport said:

I import screen captures from the show and draw directly over them, then find some element as a scale reference- for instance, the size of a standard door is around 80 inches.  You then enlarge everything to fit, and/or down to the correct model scale (80 inches in 1/25 is 3.2 inches) and print.

You won't get it 100% perfect, but very close.

Thanks so much! I cant wait to play with it! 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:36 PM, HossC said:

I've just checked out a well-known auction site, and you can get a 3-user Home and Student version of CorelDraw X6 for $49.99. The latest version (X7) is $129.99 for the Home and Student version from coreldraw.com. The full commercial-use version is $499!

Thanks Hoss I'll be checking into this!!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 0:31 PM, Mark B / Scooter Davenport said:

This will be the newest addition to the Hazzard Garage fleet!  Anyone who follows HossC's research will know that this particular configuration isn't actually a wrecker that appeared during the series, but to the casual viewer (or even most hard-core fans), you would never know it.  It combines elements of several wreckers seen in the series, but isn't a match for any one vehicle.  It is, however, a match to the wrecker that you will find if you visit the Cooter's Place in Nashville.  That particular wrecker also appears on all the merchandise sold at the Cooter's Place museums and website.  So I figured since my garage model will be at the Gatlinburg Cooter's for this month's Hazzard Run, I should have their tow truck parked out front.

I combined parts from two different model kits, but had to scratch build most of the rear towing rig to match the pics I took of the real thing in Nashville this past January (I can't believe I thought ahead to take that many pics!).

21757275009_c14436cd9d_b.jpgUntitled by mommydawn2000, on Flickr

21756292288_f4d9fd8a71_b.jpgUntitled by mommydawn2000, on Flickr

21932100362_5c73075130_b.jpgUntitled by mommydawn2000, on Flickr

Mark! Where did you find that 1969 Chevy grill??? I need one!