The Hazzard Garage (Cooter's Garage)

Mark B / Scooter Davenport

I'm started down the road of a project I've had in the back of my head for some time.

My goal had been to recreate one of the iconic buildings of Hazzard to serve as a showcase for the 1/25 scale MPC DOH car kits. I quickly gravitated to Cooter's garage- for me, it has the most character and recognizability.

Following in the footsteps of HossC, I've been rearching the building inside and out. Unlike some of the facade buildings on the Warner backlot, this one actually has a practical interior- when you see scenes inside the garage, they really are inside the garage building just off Hazzard Square. However, the building inside wasn't completely built-out for being seen on screen. The first floor was pretty much complete with the exception of the 'office' room (so far I haven't seen any episodes showing the inside). The second and third floors appear to be largely one big empty space- typical of a Hollywood backlot set.

Here is my floorplan so far:

6250278503_7fbbf3a463_b.jpg

I'll be sharing images of my build soon too!

Mark

This is fantastic - I can't wait to see how the build progresses. What software package did you use to create this?.

Also, well done for identifying the gas pumps. I knew they were Tokheim, but not the model. I have vectorized artwork for the Hoggoco and Tokheim logos if they are any use for your model.

I forgot to add- if anyone has any observations or details about this building, feel free to throw it in- consider this a research thread on anything having to do with with The Hazzard Garage- even info from dialog such as the address*.

Mark

* In "Huey Hogg Strikes Again", 100 Hazzard Square was mentioned as the address of the condos Boss was going to build on the site of Cooter's Garage. Not sure if that means this is the address of the garage.

That is great!! I can't wait to see that- I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what would be on the second floor, where the stairs would be, etc.

Does anyone have the ability to do screen caps from that episode? I don't have that season of DVDs yet.

Mark

Cool project!

I didn't see it in this thread but you probably already know this. "The Ransom of Hazzard County" from season 6 has an apartment in it above the garage where the bomber is staying.

Keep up the good work Mark.

I'll do them if you can wait until tomorrow - it's getting very late here :).

Yes, you have permission to go to bed now- the sun will be up there in just a few hours!!

Boy that would be great!! I guess you know what I'm looking for; whatever would help me draw and build the inside of the garage, etc.!!

Mark

I didn't see it in this thread but you probably already know this. "The Ransom of Hazzard County" from season 6 has an apartment in it above the garage where the bomber is staying.

Roger, I think you're confusing one bombing plot episode with another. The bomber was upstairs in 'State of the County' in season 3.

These pictures are out of chronological order, but hopefully make more sense this way. We never see the bomber leaving the ground floor, but we do see Daisy starting to ascend the ladder. It's difficult to tell from this picture, but if you watch the scene you can see it's the ladder near the top left of the General in the plan view that Mark originally posted.

Upstairs7.jpg

This is the top of that ladder (we also see Daisy reach the top of the same ladder just after the previous picture). It looks like the back wall is closer to the ladder than it was downstairs, so maybe it's a partition. The walls are decorated with various car parts, and there appears to be some kind of bed in the bottom left.

Upstairs1.jpg

As the bomber walks to the front he passes the side wall which has several cardboard boxes and suitcases along it. The position of the wall would indicate that it's the left side wall of the gararge. At the front there is a window and an old gas price sign. This should be the window that is above the office. In the bottom left is the other end of the raised wooden divider that can be seen in the picture above.

Upstairs5.jpg

The final picture shows the bomber looking out of the window. It should be the left window, but is clearly the middle window because it's above the 'Service' sign. I'm not sure if this is just a simple continuity error, or if it's because they couldn't get the right shot of the window above the office.

Upstairs6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That 'apartment' space appears again in 'Play it Again Luke', but it arranged a little differently and matches the exterior of the garage better this time. I believe that both appearances are seperate sets not actually inside the garage set.

Also- just reviewed all of season 7. The season starts with 'Happy Birthday General Lee' where they make the exterior of Cooters' look years younger by dressing it up with white trim and some dectorative wood details (for Boss to step on whilst hanging on the drain pipe). For the entire rest of the season, the garage is used VERY little; just a few shots right in front where little of the building is in view and not shots inside. When you do see the building, those 'younger' details adn paintjob are still there! The only exception is when they use stock shots of Hazzard Square from previous season- then the building is back to its old dirtier self.

Its sad (to me at least!) that this pivotal setting was pretty much ignored in the last year of the series.

Mark

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
What about the loft that Bo sand Luke jumped down from?

Its that area just above those 'office' windows on the inside- you can see that area in my second round of pics of the model. In the diagram in my first post, it would be in the area where the 'ladder' is just to the left of the General Lee (orang rectangle).

Mark

• 1 month later...