Earthquake in Virginia

James Duke

Today at 1:51 pm Est, a 5.8 earthquake rattled the Eastern US. States as far away as Ohio felt the tremors. No deaths were reported, but there were some injuries and damage.

I live in Knox County, Ohio and I was taking a nap in my room, which is upstairs (I live in a 2 story house) at the time. I felt my bed shaking and woke up and looked around, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but I noticed my birds were making more noise than usual. My cockatiels and parakeets are usually quiet when I'm sleeping, but even they were making noise.

When I went downstairs, (about 2 hours later...yes, I stayed in my room that long xD after I woke up) my mom told me there'd been an earthquake in Virginia. I got online and looked it up and now I know what the shaking was from. Scary stuff, especially since it was my first ever experience feeling a quake like that.

18 counties in Ohio reported feeling it. As far north as Cleveland and as far south as Dayton. Ones I know for a fact are Knox, Franklin, and Licking counties (Central Ohio area).

Did anyone else feel it? And if so, where at?

I'm up here by Lake Erie near the Ohio-Pennsylvania line. I was sitting on a wooden chair that was on cement. I felt like I lost my balance and was slightly tilting left. Then I felt like I was tilting right. I heard a weird sound like some kind of woosh of wind. Ten minutes later I turned on the radio because I suspected an earthquake and sure enough it was.

My daughter teaches in Virginia. Her classroom shook a lot but no damage.

It's too bad this hurricane won't be as gentle. As I type this it's already claimed 10 lives but sadly that number will increase.

I only ever experienced one hurricane all the way up here on Lake Erie. I was 12 when Hurricane Agnus struck in 1972. I think we've had rain from other hurricanes up here but nothing as serious as Agnus.

Since I'm in western Pennsylvania I didn't even get wet from this latest hurricane but the poor folks on the other side of the state got flooded.

I've never experienced a normal hurricane. But in '08, Ike came through and transformed into an extratropical cyclone, but it collided with a cold front that was coming through the same time and made the storm worse. We usually just get some rain, maybe a thunderstorm, from hurricanes after they weakened inland.