Baseball

Garrett Duke

Even though today is April 1 (April Fools Day) I won't kid about what's happening today. Today is Opening Day for the Reds. The parade was said to be smaller this year but we're playing the Los Angeles Angels.

For all of you that don't know, Opening Day in Cincinnati is practically a holiday. I even think that last year, they tried to get it to be an official holiday for the city. Didn't happen though.

Even though today is April 1 (April Fools Day) I won't kid about what's happening today. Today is Opening Day for the Reds. The parade was said to be smaller this year but we're playing the Los Angeles Angels.

For all of you that don't know, Opening Day in Cincinnati is practically a holiday. I even think that last year, they tried to get it to be an official holiday for the city. Didn't happen though.

Well hopefully your Reds did as good as the Cubs. My Cubs beat Roger's Pirates 3-1. :D GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought of you K-Duke. In June I am going to a Cubs game in Chicago and they will be playing your Reds...GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

After Dusty Baker's health scare last year, is he still their manager? Hope and pray he is better. Still miss him in the Cubs dugout.

Well hopefully your Reds did as good as the Cubs. My Cubs beat Roger's Pirates 3-1. :D GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought of you K-Duke. In June I am going to a Cubs game in Chicago and they will be playing your Reds...GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

After Dusty Baker's health scare last year, is he still their manager? Hope and pray he is better. Still miss him in the Cubs dugout.

We sadly didn't win. It was a close game through the whole thing. I think it went into 13 innings.

We'll see who wins that game. Then that person will get some bragging rights. ;)

I really don't know if he's still the manager. I hadn't heard anything about him not being it. He got a two year extension last year so the only way he could get out of it is if his health was too bad when the season started. I think he's gotten better since then though.

We sadly didn't win. It was a close game through the whole thing. I think it went into 13 innings.

We'll see who wins that game. Then that person will get some bragging rights. ;)

I really don't know if he's still the manager. I hadn't heard anything about him not being it. He got a two year extension last year so the only way he could get out of it is if his health was too bad when the season started. I think he's gotten better since then though.

Ah K-Duke I have faith in my Cubs that they will win...after all, they haven't lost yet this 2013 season. :-o:lol: Sorry I have to say that while I can. Either way I am looking forward to the game. Last year when I went to Wrigley they played the Detriot Tigers. My first interleague game I went to. Was great to see Verlander pitch and to see Prince Fielder in person. The Cubs did lose but it was a good game...

I hope Baker will still be the manage. I always liked him and was sad when he left Chicago. :(

Sorry to hear they lost for you yesterday.

Ah K-Duke I have faith in my Cubs that they will win...after all, they haven't lost yet this 2013 season. :-o:lol: Sorry I have to say that while I can. Either way I am looking forward to the game. Last year when I went to Wrigley they played the Detriot Tigers. My first interleague game I went to. Was great to see Verlander pitch and to see Prince Fielder in person. The Cubs did lose but it was a good game...

I hope Baker will still be the manage. I always liked him and was sad when he left Chicago. :(

Sorry to hear they lost for you yesterday.

Things can change in an instant, Garrett. My cousin is going to see the Reds and Cubs play at the end of April with her boyfriend. It's at Great American Ball Park but it will be cool if we win.

I'll admit though, I have never been to a baseball game. Not even a school one. It's pretty sad.

I know something you'll love though. I can't remember who played the Reds during the game but my dad helped set up fireworks on top of Great American Ball Park. He was on top of the over hang above the seats and he had no safety harness on. He had fun doing it. I think it was one of our last games of the season.

• 2 weeks later...
Things can change in an instant, Garrett. My cousin is going to see the Reds and Cubs play at the end of April with her boyfriend. It's at Great American Ball Park but it will be cool if we win.

I'll admit though, I have never been to a baseball game. Not even a school one. It's pretty sad.

I know something you'll love though. I can't remember who played the Reds during the game but my dad helped set up fireworks on top of Great American Ball Park. He was on top of the over hang above the seats and he had no safety harness on. He had fun doing it. I think it was one of our last games of the season.

Wow K Duke I bet your dad had a blast doing that...would love to have a job at Wrigley Field - the ideal one would be the score keeper. :D

Talk about baseball what y'all think of that fight last night between Carlos Quinton of the Padres and Zach Greinke of the Dodgers? Personally I think Quinton should be benched for a looooonnnnnngggggg time...I'm sorry, but to hit someone that hard to fracture or break Greinke's shoulder bone? He should be on the bench way longer than Greinke is sidelined due to his injury. I understand being upset over getting hit by a ball, but really? That is way overly excessive if you ask me. (Which no one did...LOL)

*SNORES*

You two are putting me to sleep. Your gibberish is so boring. Everybody knows that the Pirates are going to win the World Series this year so why are you wasting your and my time by talking about other teams?....so boring.

HA...you may say that now, but you won't be saying that in September! THIS IS THE CUBS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but watching a bunch guys hit a ball then run to bases is boring to me. But I love to watch little kids playing baseball their parents and coaches crack me up.

I have to agree. My second grandson is four and will play his first year of T-ball starting in early May. I'd much rather watch that than the major leagues, even if it was a game where my Pirates beat Garrett's Cubs.

I have to agree. My second grandson is four and will play his first year of T-ball starting in early May. I'd much rather watch that than the major leagues, even if it was a game where my Pirates beat Garrett's Cubs.

I guess if you knew a kid playing it would make it fun to watch. Or even if you didn't...but MLB boring? Wow...well perhaps it is because I don't have any kids to go watch play ball or what, but do have to disagree... I'd much rather watch MLB on TV...mainly the Cubs.

Baseball and boring should NEVER even be mentioned in the same sentence! My opinion...for what it counts.

I've said before that I don't really watch baseball but I hear about it all the time on the news. Though I might watch some high school games with my friend since her boyfriend plays in it.

Sadly, I really doubt Red will get to the World Series. We've lost pretty much all of our games so far. And it was even the Cubs and Pirates, just to name a few. ugh.

I've said before that I don't really watch baseball but I hear about it all the time on the news. Though I might watch some high school games with my friend since her boyfriend plays in it.

Sadly, I really doubt Red will get to the World Series. We've lost pretty much all of our games so far. And it was even the Cubs and Pirates, just to name a few. ugh.

It was even to the Cubs and Pirates? Gee thanks...you say that as if they are the worst teams in baseball and can't win a single game. :-o Wait a minute...that describes Roger's Pirates perfectly well! :lol::innocent: (I kid because I care, Roger :D )

Just not my Cubs...I don't care how many games they have lost this season and where they are in the standings...this is going to be the CUBS YEAR!!!!!!!!! It has to be...after how many times I have said that, one of these times I am going to be RIGHT and it might as well as be this year. GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry I am a hopeless Cubs fan and REFUSE to give up hope on the Cubs...even if it does seem like there is no hope. :) )

Season is still young KDuke...don't give up on 'em now...

It was even to the Cubs and Pirates? Gee thanks...you say that as if they are the worst teams in baseball and can't win a single game. :-o Wait a minute...that describes Roger's Pirates perfectly well! :lol::innocent: (I kid because I care, Roger :D )

Just not my Cubs...I don't care how many games they have lost this season and where they are in the standings...this is going to be the CUBS YEAR!!!!!!!!! It has to be...after how many times I have said that, one of these times I am going to be RIGHT and it might as well as be this year. GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry I am a hopeless Cubs fan and REFUSE to give up hope on the Cubs...even if it does seem like there is no hope. :) )

Season is still young KDuke...don't give up on 'em now...

I know the season is still young. We've been doing better now.

But I wasn't meaning that your guys' teams were bad. I just meant that we lost to you. I'm not saying anything bad about the Cubs or Pirates.

I know the season is still young. We've been doing better now.

But I wasn't meaning that your guys' teams were bad. I just meant that we lost to you. I'm not saying anything bad about the Cubs or Pirates.

Ah I was just giving you and Roger a hard time in my last post. :) I knew you didn't mean anything about our teams...:D

K-Duke, I wouldn't mind if you did describe my Pirates as "bad". LOL They've had a losing record for 20 straight years, the longest, not just in baseball, but in all of the big league American sports. They've certainly earned the description "bad". I've followed them since the late 60s and will be a fan as long as I'm alive but I'm also realistic.

It's fun that you, Garrett and I have favorite teams that are in the same division. It will give us a lot to talk about here on the bb thread.

• 2 weeks later...

There's good news, bad news and good news in the baseball world.

The good news is that the Pirates are in first place.

The bad news is that I'm struggling in my fantasy baseball league.

The good news is that a certain Cubs fan (namely Garrett Duke) is in first place in our division in our fantasy league. This is an impressive accomplishment considering the league is comprised mostly of folks who make their living in the sports world, including knowledgable sports reporters. Congratulations Garrett!

There's good news, bad news and good news in the baseball world.

The good news is that the Pirates are in first place.

The bad news is that I'm struggling in my fantasy baseball league.

The good news is that a certain Cubs fan (namely Garrett Duke) is in first place in our division in our fantasy league. This is an impressive accomplishment considering the league is comprised mostly of folks who make their living in the sports world, including knowledgable sports reporters. Congratulations Garrett!

Thanks Roger! Honestly don't know how I am doing it since I am doing HORRIBLE in my other two fantasy baseball, but as long as I am doing good in one, I am happy. It has been fun so far...hopefully can keep it up. :D

Really? Your Pirates, first place? Saweet! LOL. That is something to be happy about...wish I could say the same about the Cubs. Sadly I can't. Aw well...I will take my lead in your fantasy baseball league and be happy with it. Especially knowing who I am up against - makes it even better.

Thanks Roger. :D

Being in first place is tough in a league like ours. Holding your first place spot is much tougher than tough.

Oh well, I can't think of anybody else that I'd rather see in first than you Garrett. Woops, yes I can.....me!

Very true...it is hard in any league to keep the number one spot. Especially with a lot of people who are into sports like you described.

Thanks for the smile...you are deserving of first place. Except for the fact that you already won your fantasy hockey league...think it is my turn to win. :D HA HA.

• 1 month later...

It looks like my Pirates are off to a good start in their weekend series with Garrett's Cubs.

The Buccos beat the Cubbies 2-0 Friday night. It was a little scary for Pittsburgh fans when the Cubs had two runners on base and the winning run at bat in the bottom of the ninth but the story had a happy ending.....although Garrett wouldn't agree.

Well Garrett, it looks like the Penguins are going to be eliminated so I'll be rooting for your Blackhawks to win the Stanley Cup.