Baseball

Garrett Duke

Well we are two thirds through the regular baseball season and a lot of you know how big of a NASCAR fan I am, well I am just a big of a fan of baseball as I am with NASCAR. Anyone else a big baseball fan? If so, which teams and players do you like or follow? How's your season going?

I am a big Chicago Cubs fan and has been since I was four or five years old and will be a Cubs fan til the day I die. My baseball season starts and ends when the Cubs season starts and ends...am interested in who wins the World Series, but don't get too excited about it unless by chance the Cubs would ever make it to the WS.

As for their season, well, if I had to be honest, would say they are having a pretty bad season. They are now fifth out of six in the National League and 17.5 games behind first place. If that isn't bad enough, their ace pitcher, Carlos Zambrano was ejected from yesterday's game after almost hitting Braves third baseman Chipper Jones with a pitch. Where Big Z declared retirement (which he has done in the past) and then cleared out his locker...and when he didnt' show up for today's game, he was disqualified for a month. Zambrano is known as for his temper and for being over emotional, but that was very unexcusable if you ask me. He walked out on his team mates, his fans, his sports.

Anyway, my favorite baseball team is the Chicago Cubs and I am sticking with my repeative statement that I seem to say every year...next year is going to be their year. Would love to see them make it post season in 2012!

I think I jinxed my Pittsburgh Pirates. They were the surprise team of 2011 before the all-star break, even rising to first place in July....not bad for a team that has been the joke of MLB for nearly two decades now.

Then I went to my first game in many years. My Pirates beat Garrett's Cubs 9-1 on the last game before the all-star break. I might have brought them good luck for the game I attended, but after that they've sunk like a rock. The last I checked they were 10 games behind the Brewers. In fact, they recently faced the Cubs again in a 4 game series. The Cubbies won them all. It was the first time since 1959 that the Cubs have won all 4 games of a 4 game series in Pittsburgh.

I think I jinxed my Pittsburgh Pirates. They were the surprise team of 2011 before the all-star break, even rising to first place in July....not bad for a team that has been the joke of MLB for nearly two decades now.

Then I went to my first game in many years. My Pirates beat Garrett's Cubs 9-1 on the last game before the all-star break. I might have brought them good luck for the game I attended, but after that they've sunk like a rock. The last I checked they were 10 games behind the Brewers. In fact, they recently faced the Cubs again in a 4 game series. The Cubbies won them all. It was the first time since 1959 that the Cubs have won all 4 games of a 4 game series in Pittsburgh.

Well Roger...don't think you jinxed them. What goes up, sometimes has to go down. Saw they were ranked ahead of the Cubs and felt bad for you. At least they had a great first half...the Cubs didn't have a great first half and they are not having a great last half either. Just too bad they didn't keep it up. :(

Just think of it this way, your Pirates just felt bad for my Cubbies so they let the Cubs have the series. That is if it helps you feel better. I for one was happy they got a winning streak going and will take it against any team out there. Though for yoursake, wish it was another team.

Well there is still another month and a half to go, Roger, perhaps they'll get their own winning streak going on the teams above t hem will start losing. You can always hope. :)

As for me, my hope for this year is over (still love the Cubs though!). My hope is now for next year! :D

• 3 weeks later...

You sound pretty certain there Roger. Last I saw the Brew crew was at least ten games ahead of their local competition...

Not that I care that much...my concern with baseball ends when the Cubs. Will be interested to see who will win the WS, but for me, baseball ends when the Cubs season ends. :( Which is in a couple of weeks...very depressing for me. :(

With money being such a driving force in the success and failure of professional sports teams it's not a surprise that wealthy cities like New York have teams like the Yankees and they do well. It really surprises me that the Cubs haven't won a World Series in over 100 years. I mean, it's not like Chicago hasn't had a lot of money since 1907. For many of those 100 years they've been the third largest city in the United States. I just can't figure out why they can't win the big one.

With money being such a driving force in the success and failure of professional sports teams it's not a surprise that wealthy cities like New York have teams like the Yankees and they do well. It really surprises me that the Cubs haven't won a World Series in over 100 years. I mean, it's not like Chicago hasn't had a lot of money since 1907. For many of those 100 years they've been the third largest city in the United States. I just can't figure out why they can't win the big one.

You trying to rub it all in, huh Roger? LOL. Good question. Perhaps they just don't know how to destribute the money properly. They do have a few players that are getting a pretty penny right now (Aramis Rameriz and Alfonso Soriano for example)...and now are rumored trying to get either Prince Fielder or Albert Pujols for next year... Pujols is asking for a two hundred mil contract and it sounds like Fielder is asking about the same as well. Personally I think the Cubs should stick with Pena who they have at first and destribute that kinda money across the field where they need the help at. As I said, that all is just rumors flying around right now so am not getting too worried about it. But it does make you wonder why the Yankees can afford a new ball park plus Jeter and all the other top name players that takes them to the post season and the Cubs are just stuck...

Perhaps that goat they didnt let on the field all them years ago really did put a bad luck spell on 'em after all...;)

Sorry about your Cubs not making the playoffs Garrett. My Pirates aren't going to make it either but that doesn't stop me from picking an alternate to win the World Series. I have the Braves and Brian has the Brewers, What playoff team are you saying will win it all?

Well my baseball ends when the Cubs end...but since you asked, I'm going for the Yankees though I am not a big fan of American League baseball.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewers are darn close, though the Cubs slowed 'em down a bit. Which should make you feel a little better about the Cubs season. ;)

Well at least there is a positive about the Cubs season. So sad that today is their last game...I can't even watch it. Hope they can at least go out with a win!

See the Brewers are in...six games above the Cardinals. HA HA. Being a die hard Cubs fan, it is good to see the Cards get beat...even by the Brewers.

As for me, I'll stick to my yearly saying...next year is their (Cubs) year! LET'S GO CUBS!!!! :D