Hey there folks ^o^

Ina

I'm a newbie, my name is Ina.

I'm from Germany. Originally of the so called eldest town of Germany, Trier. This town lies next to the Luxembourgian border. We are told to speak in a very funny non understandable dialect. I can understand it, but not speak it myself.

I currently live in a village in the Midwest of Germany in an area called the Oberer Westerwald (literally Upper Western Forest). In some cases our valley looks a bit like Hazzard County, regarding the streets and the car chases the Wäller (that's how the people are called here) are performing very often. Wäller are very fast drivers, the roads are long and abandoned. Only thing is that it isn't that dry and we don't have that many dirt roads, but considering the quality of our roads, who needs dirt roads of you have truck tired big potholes. XD

Unfortunately I have no car and no drivers liscence (too expensive). And it really is a pain in the neck, if you have to walk for miles and literally climb up hills, if you want to get to a supermarket. *phew*

I first saw the Dukes in 85 in the US, when I was there on vacation. I was 12 years old and completely fascinated of the many TV channels. In Germany we only had 3 or 4 or so at that time... The only thing I remembered of the Dukes was the orange car. In 89 the Dukes ran on german TV for the first time and I remembered the car and started watching and had a crush on John Schneider the moment I started watching. XD Me and my back then best friend watched every episode possible. But unfortunately the Dukes weren't a big success in Germany, so the TV stations did only run the show for 3 or so times over the last 21 years. Same happened to the DVD releases. They stopped production after series 3, but thank god all others, which we had to buy from the UK, France and/or Netherlands had the german dub or sub. Really I enjoy watching series in the original without subs, but for someone with english not as a native tongue the slang was really badass to understand (at first), especially Boss Hogg. XD Yeah, that's how I came to watch the Dukes. Thanks to the awsomeness of the show we have a small but very stable fandome in Germany.

God, I'm talking to much. Hope I don't get on your nerves.

I'll make the rest short:

Interested in muscle cars, music, especially The Ramones, The Beach Boys, James Horner, Ska-Punk, Neue Deutsche Welle (german pop and punk of the 80ties), Merry and MUCC and J-Rock in general, football (soccer), my fav football club Borussia Dortmund, reading, writing, making friends, hanging out with friends, Anime/Manga, Games... oh yeah and trying to play the bassguitar. I guess that's it.

Cya... :D

Welcome to HNet, Ina.

We are told to speak in a very funny non understandable dialect. I can understand it, but not speak it myself.

I bet it's not as funny as my German accent :).

I first saw the Dukes in 85 in the US, when I was there on vacation. I was 12 years old and completely fascinated of the many TV channels. In Germany we only had 3 or 4 or so at that time...

You're just a bit younger than me. We only had 4 TV channels in the UK back then too.

Did the German version have the same intro?. I found French and Italian versions on YouTube (see this thread), but nothing in German.

Guten tag! Welcome to HNet!

You're not getting on anybody's nerves. LOL. When it comes to the Dukes you've found the best place to yak it up about the show. :wink:

Hehe, thanks. That's good to now, because my best friend (not the one I used to watch the Dukes with) doesn't like the series that much and since we share the same household I always get on her nerves. If I start talking about what I like, I often don't come to an end and I would be considered a chatterbox, I guess. XD

And a Guten Morgen to you, it's about 5 am here. Heck I think I haven't slept for about 36 hours... but I'm not tired... strange...

Welcome to HNet, Ina.

I bet it's not as funny as my German accent :).

Thank you. Haha... don't know, it really sounds strange to someone not used to it. Do you know how Luxembourgian sounds? That sounds a bit alike. To strangers it sounds kinda like French mixed up with Flemish.

Hmh @MaryAnn: Would it be okay to post a Youtube link of it?

You're just a bit younger than me. We only had 4 TV channels in the UK back then too.

Hehe... I also remember the closedown. Plus the TV program started somewhat in the middle of the day. I was so fascinated that the Americans had so many channels running all day long. My mother almost wasn't able to get me off the screen. XD

Did the German version have the same intro?. I found French and Italian versions on YouTube (see this thread), but nothing in German.

I don't remember exactely if the show originally running in 89 had the same intro, because the germans used to translate everything back then. It was like "what the german doesn't know, he doesn't eat" mentality (originates from an old saying: "Was der Bauer nicht kennt, frisst er nicht." - "What the farmer doesn't know, he doesn't eat"). And the comedy in the Dukes plus the car craze seemed to be too far away of what germans do like, that they tried to make it as german as possible. So it might be that the intro was another one. On the german DVDs they used the same intro.

What I found rather funny was, the german dub or better saying the german voiceactors. Bo and Luke both had much higher voices as the original. Luke really sounded like a kiddo and I always think about Michael J.Fox, when hearing him, because that voiceactor did all german Michael J. Fox stuff way before they did the Dukes. Same is with Bo, he had the main voice of the Jean Claude van Damme voiceactor. *huzzah* let me show you some martial arts... XD But the funniest were Boss Hogg and Rosco. Boss had the german voice of Barney of the Flintstones... he sounds so friggin funny with that voice XD And Rosco was the Steve Martin voiceactor... he sometimes sounds a bit gay in the german version... ''o.O'' But everything is better then the french or the italian dub... My oh my... both boys sound like bored as hell old people... x_X

I can try to find a german dubbed part... if that would be okay to post.^^

If interested: In Germany The Dukes were called "Ein Duke kommt selten allein" it refers to the old saying "Ein Unglück kommt selten allein", which means "Misfortune seldom comes single/A Duke seldom comes single" and haha it's not that untrue, if you see it from Boss' point of view. If he attacks one of the Dukes, he has the whole family in his neck XD

Edited by Ina

Howdy there. Feel welcome to post the German Dukes link, we're always up for some cultural exchange.

With the music you've listed, you're making me remember German bands like Nena and Falco. Wait, Falco was Austrian, but he sang in German so it's confusing. Anyway, welcome to HazzardNet!

Hehe, thanks. I will see if I can find one in german. If not, I will upload it by myself to Youtube.^^

Nena... *swoon over* she was my first fav band/singer. I remember that I got her first album at my 10th birthday. ^^

Edit:

*mergh you only do find the movie on YT* I have to do it by myself...

Welcome to the HazzardNet Ina. We're excited to have you here and look forward to hearing a lot more from you. My wife lived in Germany for a couple years so I often hear her family tell stories of all the good times they had there.

Thank you. ^^ Really, that's cool. Where did your wife live? I know that many americans did live in Wiesbaden, where I spent most of my life. I grew up with the german/american friendship festival and was very sad, when they stopped, because the americans left Wiesbaden. ;.;

Oh and if interested, that's the dialect of my hometown. This clip is a parody of another one, that was shown on german TV, where a senior did yell to his employe, because he did something wrong. He asked him why he didn't read the sign at the wall and made the mistake again and again. And then another employe comes and tells the senior, that this man can't read, that's why he did the mistake again.

Here it is a bit other situation, but the scenery is the same. The employe does something wrong and the senior is yelling at him, why he did that. The other employe then comes around and says, that the man can't understand the dialect. At the end of the clip is said, that 81,9 Millions of Germans don't understand Trierer dialect and we are 82 Millions in Germany. XD

I understand it, but if someone talks that fast, even I have my problems. XD