RogerDuke almost died

RogerDuke

I had a little accident at work today. A heavy piece of metal fell on my head and cut it open and knocked me out. I came back to the real world before the ambulance arrived but then fell unconscience again. I woke up again and got loaded in the ambulance and barely remained awake but was confused on the way to the hospital. Luckily the cat scan showed no serious damage and I was released under the watch of my wife. I feel fine but she's going to have to keep an eye on me for a couple days. I have a severe concussion and 7 metal staples but things look good.

Here's the amazing part. I've always heard stories like this but never thought I'd experience one. For a while I saw the white light everybody always talks about. At first I was really scared but then I felt a really deep peace like I've never felt before. I was a little disappointed when the paramedic yelled at me and woke me up because the feeling was so soothing.

Okay, I'm being a little dramatic with the headline of my post. I don't really know if I was close to death or not. I probably wasn't but I'll never really know how close I was. The deep peaceful feeling was an emotion I've never felt and something I'll never forget. When I'm fully recovered I have a lot of people to thank.

Every once in a while we get a reminder how precious life is.

Wow Roger are you sure you're ok?

Thanks, I'm doing fine. I had a good night last night except for making a mess on my pillow because the bandage didn't stay on. It's been over 24 hours now and I haven't even had a headache or anything. In fact the whole experience wasn't even that painful except for the time they cleaned out the wound and put the staples in.

I'll never forget the white light though. It's something that will always be with me. Even though I enjoyed it I hope I go another 50 years before I see it again. LOL

Thank you everybody.

I know I've said this many times but you folks really are like family.

I went back to work today and then went to meet the paramedics after work. I heard lots of stories and learned a lot I didn't know because I was temporarily out of reality.

I have to admit I got a chill up my spine when talking to one of the paramedics. I guess I was a little closer to the Pearly Gates than I realized. I'll spare you folks the gorey details but the whole experience had a happy ending and it is something that has changed my life for the better.

I was grateful to meet 3 of the 4 people most responsible for coming to my rescue (actually there were more than that). I gave them all hugs and the whole visit was an emotional celebration.

Embrace life folks.

And thank an emergency medical professional the next time you see one. The next life they save might be yours.

WOW...I miss a couple of days and I miss everything.

How scary Roger! I pray that you will have a safe and speedy recovery. I bet that was a very awakening experience, especially the white light and what you later learned. Thank-you for letting us know and pleas keep us updated. Very scary and am glad to hear that you have survived the horrorific experience and seem to be on the road to recovery.

Thanks again everybody. I didn't think this thread would last this long when I started it but I sure appreciate all the well wishes.

Hey Bo, it was nice to hear from you. You'd better log in more often because if you're not careful I'll be passing you in posts.

(Actually I don't really care if I pass you or not, but I know you're competitive and if that little challenge will get you to log in more often I will have succeeded.)

• 9 years later...
On 7/6/2011 at 10:57 PM, RogerDuke said:

I had a little accident at work today. A heavy piece of metal fell on my head and cut it open and knocked me out. I came back to the real world before the ambulance arrived but then fell unconscience again. I woke up again and got loaded in the ambulance and barely remained awake but was confused on the way to the hospital. Luckily the cat scan showed no serious damage and I was released under the watch of my wife. I feel fine but she's going to have to keep an eye on me for a couple days. I have a severe concussion and 7 metal staples but things look good.

Here's the amazing part. I've always heard stories like this but never thought I'd experience one. For a while I saw the white light everybody always talks about. At first I was really scared but then I felt a really deep peace like I've never felt before. I was a little disappointed when the paramedic yelled at me and woke me up because the feeling was so soothing.

Okay, I'm being a little dramatic with the headline of my post. I don't really know if I was close to death or not. I probably wasn't but I'll never really know how close I was. The deep peaceful feeling was an emotion I've never felt and something I'll never forget. When I'm fully recovered I have a lot of people to thank.

Every once in a while we get a reminder how precious life is.

Wow, this brings back memories. Thanks for digging this up Skipper. I still think about this incident often. It helps me to appreciate life a lot more.