• 2 weeks later...
Hey y'all,

I just got season 5 as a present from my sister.I'm just wondering what to expect.I know that most people don't like season 5 because Bo and Luke aren't in it,but the stunts are meant to be really good.

I'm just wondering what y'all think of season 5 and why :)

Season 5 is worth watching for the Boss/Rosco moments, even if you're not fond of Coy and Vance. Denver Pyle also had some good scenes during this vintage. I think in the absence of Tom and John, the rest of the cast did their best to carry the show.

Season 5 of The Dukes of Hazzard reminds us that the show was about more than Bo, Luke, and the General Lee. Sure, they're a big part of it, but Hazzard County was a true community and everyone made an impact.

The writing was just as good even though Coy and Vance weren't as good of actors but I'll give them credit. They did a great job under the circumstances.

Also, season 5 brought us great episodes like Lawman of the Year, Enos in Trouble, A Little Game of Pool, Welcome Back Bo 'n Luke and Daisy's Shotgun Wedding.

Besides, if season 5 wouldn't have happened, the whole show might have been canceled and then we wouldn't have 6 and 7.

• 6 months later...

I always wondered what episode like "A little game of pool" would be like with Bo and Luke there....hmmmmm

To be honest....the show fell off after season 5 (for me)...Rosco and Boss became more cartoon like silly and the storylines became more unrealistic. It seemed like Bo and Luke aged 10 years during that one year. I don't know...the show just didn't seem the same. They were still a hell of a lot better than Coy and Vance. lol!

The writing was just as good even though Coy and Vance weren't as good of actors but I'll give them credit. They did a great job under the circumstances.

Also, season 5 brought us great episodes like Lawman of the Year, Enos in Trouble, A Little Game of Pool, Welcome Back Bo 'n Luke and Daisy's Shotgun Wedding.

Besides, if season 5 wouldn't have happened, the whole show might have been canceled and then we wouldn't have 6 and 7.

Having watched the first five eps from GA...man, a totally different show! And not just because of the scenery. Rosco really is a different sheriff. And, the boys were a little more edgy. I know that the show "changed" when they found out the demo was more kids/family, but it would be neat to rewind history and see how the show would have progressed with the adult themes that were present at the beginning (Bo and Luke cussing, Rosco fighting the system b/c of his lost pension and making more sense, the whole "brothel" in the mobile home, Boss Hogg being a womanizer {episode 2} and really not eating anything more than raw liver in the series opener). Oh well, to dream....

Having watched the first five eps from GA...man, a totally different show! And not just because of the scenery. Rosco really is a different sheriff. And, the boys were a little more edgy. I know that the show "changed" when they found out the demo was more kids/family, but it would be neat to rewind history and see how the show would have progressed with the adult themes that were present at the beginning (Bo and Luke cussing, Rosco fighting the system b/c of his lost pension and making more sense, the whole "brothel" in the mobile home, Boss Hogg being a womanizer {episode 2} and really not eating anything more than raw liver in the series opener). Oh well, to dream....

Yeah...that would have been interesting. Uncle Jesse was more edgy as well.

• 2 years later...

Season 5 is certainly where everything changed, where a lot of fans were driven away and when, even after the return of Bo and Luke at the end of the season, the show was somehow never quite the same again.

But I gotta say, after all these years, we know that Bo and Luke eventually return. There is no angry "If they don't get the original actors back I refuse to watch any more". We know that Coy and Vance aren't exactly the greatest (carbon copies of the originals, the only single difference being that they flipped their shirt colours over for the characters!).

But... it's still Dukes. Still some decent General jumps, other characters that are welcome to see (and let's not forget the return of Enos), and whilst I do agree with other comments that by this stage, Boss and Rosco were often becoming too cartoony and slapstick, it still gives us some classic Boss and Rosco moments. In fact, in one sense, it might even be argued that Boss and Rosco save much of s5 and make it still watchable! :)

Also, whilst as with every single season of 'Dukes' the plots are a mixed bunch in terms of quality, I've long thought that plot-wise (and bear in mind that the original Coy and Vance scripts were written for Bo and Luke, and the names merely changed), that many of the plots were actually stronger, in concept at least, than many fourth season ones (where the generic, formulaic nature setting in was criticized by both some cast, and fans).

It's not the best season of Dukes, but I still find it managable. And actually possibly more watchable than the "dying breaths" of the show which is season 7.

I thought the same thing when I dug out my DVDs to get screengrabs for the Coy and Vance's car thread earlier today. Maybe they think people will pick up the box, see Coy and Vance on the cover, and put it back on the shelf!

I hear that well the only reason i say that is because wither people liked them or not they are still part of duke history.