computer vacation

RogerDuke

I've been a little stressed out lately with all I've been taking on so I'm going to try a little experiment. I'm going to go a whole week without using my computer. Please don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I've become a bit of a slave to this contraption and it's starting to get to me.

The only thing I'm going to do is check my e-mail once a day. That's it! I wish I didn't have to do that but I'm working on getting a book published so I have to. The book is one of the things that's been stressing me out but, mostly, I just need a break.

Thanks for understanding. I'll catch everybody next week. I've never done something like this before but it's time. I'll let you know what a week was like without a computer.

God Bless, Roger

Okay, I'm back from my nervous breakdown...LOL

I can make it a whole week (or even year) without missing anything else on this computer....except HazzardNet.

After a few days of prioritizing things in my life I feel much better now. I was getting a bit overwhelmed and had to throw a few projects out the window but I'm back on track now after streamlining things.

If I have too much that I'm trying to accomplish and it starts to get to me I usually just make a list and put the most important things at top, but in this case I had to do that AND eliminate a few things to keep my sanity.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said "to be simple is to be great" and I know what he meant. When life gets too complicated it's just no fun.

DukesLuvah, how did that go? (or hasn't it happened yet?) I don't have twitter....or even a cell phone for that matter.

Thanks for the well wishes Brad.

CDoherty95, it technically fits into the Christian science fiction genre. This is my second attempt at a book. The first one was a modern day romantic fiction. I doubt either will get published because it's a competitive business but I won't feel good if I don't make an honest effort trying. Thanks for asking.

Welcome back Roger! I hope you enjoyed your break away from the computer and that you got a lot accomplished! Good luck on your book. That had always been a dream of mine - to write a novel. Never got to it. Then again, I am now finding it hard to write my own DOH fan-fics :( which is starting to get to me. Hope you achieve your dreams and that you'll get that novel wrote and published - keep me updated on it, please. :)

Welcome back!

Just wanna chime in here...

Roger, good luck on the book project, and go for it. Same for you, Garrett. Never give up. If you want to do something...usually it's because you know you can. You may not know how, exactly, but admitting that you want to do it and then taking steps in that direction will help make it happen.

Speaking from experience - dreams don't go away easily, and thank goodness for that. They'll keep you going.

Embrace your muse.

If you want to do something...usually it's because you know you can.

Wow Brian, this quote is brilliant.....very inspirational!

I'm not the type of person to give up easy. After over 6100 posts here on the HazzardNet I'm still trying to write one that makes sense. It might take a few more years of trying but I can just imagine how good it's going to feel when it happens!

Just wanna chime in here...

Roger, good luck on the book project, and go for it. Same for you, Garrett. Never give up. If you want to do something...usually it's because you know you can. You may not know how, exactly, but admitting that you want to do it and then taking steps in that direction will help make it happen.

Speaking from experience - dreams don't go away easily, and thank goodness for that. They'll keep you going.

Embrace your muse.

Thanks Brian! :D

Wow Brian, this quote is brilliant.....very inspirational!

I'm not the type of person to give up easy. After over 6100 posts here on the HazzardNet I'm still trying to write one that makes sense. It might take a few more years of trying but I can just imagine how good it's going to feel when it happens!

Thank you. Don't worry about a post making sense. The whole website doesn't make sense. We like it that way. :wink:

• 4 months later...
I've been a little stressed out lately with all I've been taking on so I'm going to try a little experiment. I'm going to go a whole week without using my computer. Please don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I've become a bit of a slave to this contraption and it's starting to get to me.

The only thing I'm going to do is check my e-mail once a day. That's it! I wish I didn't have to do that but I'm working on getting a book published so I have to. The book is one of the things that's been stressing me out but, mostly, I just need a break.

Thanks for understanding. I'll catch everybody next week. I've never done something like this before but it's time. I'll let you know what a week was like without a computer.

God Bless, Roger

I hate to do this again but I just have to. This stupid computer is ruining my life. Maybe I'm going through a mid-life crisis or something but I just need a break from it. It was nice when I just did HazzardNet but I've just taken on so many things with it, it's not even fun anymore when I turn it on. I'm losing sleep, not spending as much time with my wife, missing quality time with my grandsons, not getting outside enough, not watching any Dukes episodes and not working on my book because I'm in front of this contraption too much. I'm going to step back and take another week off like I did in April. I know I'll miss HazzardNet but hopefully it will only be a week. If only I can come back and avoid all those other websites I've gotten involved with I'd be okay but I always seem to get drawn into them. I've got to cure this computer addiction and get back to being me. Hopefully I'll return to the way I was in 2007 when I first learned how to use a computer.....All I did was HazzardNet, e-mail and nothing else. For now, I need another internet detox so I'm heading off-line again. Thanks for your patience and hopefully you'll understand. Talk to ya next week....probably.

• 2 weeks later...
For now, I need another internet detox so I'm heading off-line again. Thanks for your patience and hopefully you'll understand. Talk to ya next week....probably.

I'm feeling much better now. I guess I'm getting older and just can't keep up with too many things.....or maybe it's as simple as me having too many things going on. Either way, I've cut stuff out of my life and simplified it and I'm feeling pretty good. Now all I have to do is avoid taking on anything else. I don't want this to be a cyclical thing.

Welcome back Roger! You've been missed!

I dunno that it's so much that you're getting older, I think it's more that ya might have had too much going on. We all can only do so much so we have to set priorities. Yours is family, your book...and HazzardNet. LOL

Seriously tho', I know that over the years that I've been on internet I had that point where I had too much going on and had to decide what to focus on and what to leave behind. I've also had stuff happen with family health crisis and what not that I had to firmly prioritize stuff. Among those priorities remained my writing and HNet, of course. LOL.

When ya feel overwhelmed by everything and the fun stuff is no longer fun, that's when you gotta rethink things. So I totally understand how you feel. I'm just glad you come back here to HNet. :D

• 1 year later...
I'm going to be taking another one of my computer breaks. I'm not sure when I'll be back. Sometimes a person just needs to get away from everything and this is one of those times for me.

Roger - you will be missed around here...know you will be welcomed back with a smile whenever you feel it is ready to return to the computer. Hope all is well with you and everyone at your house...

Though couldn't this break of your's wait a couple of weeks? I mean, afterall, there is only TWO races remaining of the NASCAR season...meaning you are going to miss out on two great and important reviews written by a die hard NASCAR fan. :p

Seriously though, hope all is well with you and that you will be able to enjoy your break.