The General Lee...in plush

ldhenson

So in my spare time I sometimes make plush models of things out of felt and stuffing. Now I hadn't designed any new ones since 2009, but when I started re-watching Dukes earlier this year, I knew...I KNEW...what the next one had to be.

DSCF6395a_700.jpg

DSCF6379a.jpg

DSCF6375a.jpg

DSCF6392a.jpg

He's about 10.5" long. It took a lot of reference pics/screenshots and scratch paper to puzzle out the geometry, but I love how he turned out.

Now he sits on my sofa in front of my TV.

It's great to have fellow fans to share it with. Thanks for the kind comments you guys!

What do you fill them with, because they seem to hold their shape well?.

I use polyester fiberfill, which is very light and springy. Stuffing them is a trial-and-error process each time because it's easy to get an over-stuffed/lumpy car. Plus, one of the reasons I love using felt is that it can hold a shape better than a thinner material.

The cars can be cuddled gently, but I mostly use them to keep me company on my TV sofa (and for silly pictures).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! They do take a lot of work; each car has about 50-55 separate pieces (the General here has 55) and they're all hand-stitched so I make them only rarely. In fact after my first one (the Impala) I vowed I'd never do another plush car again! You can see how long that vow lasted...

Thanks guys! It is indeed one of the Fell Beasts (without his Nazgul rider) from the Lord of the Rings films, but a plush Drag'n'Fly dragon would be cool too. I enjoyed making this fellow; his wings, neck, and tail are wired so that he can be posed.

• 4 weeks later...
i got hooked, have you considered this as a business ?

Glad you like them! I don't do them as any kind of steady business but when time allows I do take commissions for them--I've done about a dozen of the Impalas over the years for other people, plus a replica of someone's own Chevy Monte Carlo, various dragons, and assorted other things. I also have patterns for the Impalas and two dragons available. They do take a lot of time though, and most of the plushes I make are for myself.

Also I'm nearly done with my next car design (not a Dukes car) so I'll be posting that soon!

Glad you like them! I don't do them as any kind of steady business but when time allows I do take commissions for them--I've done about a dozen of the Impalas over the years for other people, plus a replica of someone's own Chevy Monte Carlo, various dragons, and assorted other things. I also have patterns for the Impalas and two dragons available. They do take a lot of time though, and most of the plushes I make are for myself.

Also I'm nearly done with my next car design (not a Dukes car) so I'll be posting that soon!

Looking forward to seeing your next plush-mobile!

Do you sell the patterns for your plush designs, or give them away, or....?

Do you sell the patterns for your plush designs, or give them away, or....?

The Impala and two dragon patterns are at my Etsy shop. I also made a Top Gear cushion (pattern is free if people request it).

My latest plush car, the souped-up DeLorean from Back to the Future (Twin Pines Mall version)!

DSCF6788c.jpg

DSCF6804b.jpg

I kept talking myself out of doing this one for a long time because it's such a complicated design. But finally last month I started getting some ideas about how to handle all the hardware in the back and then I just ran with it.

DSCF6814a.jpg

DSCF6784b.jpg

He's a bit shorter than the General, being about 9 3/4".

I'm very happy with how he turned out!

Another masterpiece LD. I also took a look at your Top Gear projects. The cushion is a very simple idea, but works very effectively. Oliver came out well too. Sad to hear you've lost BBC America - did you have any other favorite shows there?.