Hazzard Square

Thanks Mufn, I knew someone with inside information would be able to answer my question.

Another picture here from 'Ding, Dong, the Boss is Dead'. It looks like it was filmed in French Street, although I don't recognize any of the stores. Maybe they appear in a later episode. The sign above the newspaper seems to say 'Real Estate', while the one in the top right of the phone box has the familiar initials 'JDH' on it.

Telephone0515.jpg

Building #21 has been a boarding house before, but I don't remember anyone staying there until the Baxley Sisters in 'Coy vs. Vance'. For this episode it gets a new sign over the door and another at the sidewalk.

Boarding0516.jpg

I wonder if Boss foreclosed on Seth M. Berley's mortgage, because as the General drives away from the boarding house we see that the store is now the 'J.D. Hogg Furniture Mart'.

Furniture0516.jpg

When Darcy (the pilot) suffers a concussion in 'Comrade Duke' he gets taken to 'Hazzard Hospital'. As we now know, this is the house next to Boss's (I wish I'd marked the whole street with letters - isn't hindsight wonderful).

Hospital0517.jpg

After the last post I thought another map of New York Street was needed. I've kept the 'A' and 'B' from the original map (post #23) and added some more letters (I hope there's enough of them!). The buildings with numbers 1 and 31 are in Hazzard Square (Midwest street), while numbers 25 to 30 are French Street.

In the pictures above, The Mean Green Machine is first seen as it travels along the road between 'E' and 'F', but then crosses the sidewalk at 'F' as if it's come from the other road. The 'Bank of Capitol City' is at 'C'.

NewYorkStreet2.jpg

Just looking back through some of these pics I've missed. I'm pretty sure "C" is where Rosco visited the ATM in the second reunion. They had to do a few takes because on one of 'em, an extra tripped over the camera track as she was coming into frame. LOL. It was right across the street from a "subway" entrance, which you can see just to the right of the "F". The building to the left of the "F" was the Daily Planet (Lois & Clark) at the time.

HazzardSquare1.jpg

For the second reunion, I'm pretty sure I parked my Trans Am right around building 10. That was AFTER the WB police gave me a ticket for parking in a space out on the street marked "visitor". Apparently, I wasn't a "visitor". LOL. They came on to the set looking for me. Told me to park it on the midwestern set. Score! Wish I'd taken pictures. DOH!

I can't recall exactly, but I think at the time, Jimmie and Rick's trailers were parked out in front of the church, curbside to the central square. A crane toppled over and narrowly missed the trailers. Eek.

wb_lot.png

The large orange shape on the right is where I believe the old west set used to be. Looks like it's now a suburban set (or actual houses). This is also where the new Boar's Nest was and the camping site in the "Hollywood Hills" in the last reunion. The distances seem too far to me to match that photo you have that shows the chimney of Boss' House in the background. I'm leaning towards the theory there being another building behind Boss' House at the time, but perspective can be a tricky thing.

The large orange shape on the right is where I believe the old west set used to be. Looks like it's now a suburban set (or actual houses). This is also where the new Boar's Nest was and the camping site in the "Hollywood Hills" in the last reunion. The distances seem too far to me to match that photo you have that shows the chimney of Boss' House in the background. I'm leaning towards the theory there being another building behind Boss' House at the time, but perspective can be a tricky thing.

Yeah, confirmed it. That location I highlighted used to be Laramie Street and it is no more. What a shame. :(

From the WB Studio site...

Two new exterior sets were also constructed on the backlot. Replacing Laramie Street is Warner Village, consisting of eleven New England-style homes masking approximately 42,000 square feet of office space which debuted in 2004.

Thanks for yet more insider information Mufn. I'll check out the location for the Reunion movies when I finish the regular episodes (in about a month at the rate I'm going!).

I'm leaning towards the theory there being another building behind Boss' House at the time, but perspective can be a tricky thing.

I think I'd agree with you there - there's no way it could have been Laramie Street.

Yeah, confirmed it. That location I highlighted used to be Laramie Street and it is no more. What a shame.

It is a shame. Was 'Go West, Young Dukes' filmed in Laramie Street?. I've got about a season and a half until I get to that one.

Back to the pictures. 'Witness Jesse Duke' sees Uncle Jesse off to Capitol City, which means we're off to New York Street again. This first picture is Jesse arriving. The big building with the columns is the one marked 'D' on the map. In this episode it's 'Capitol City Library'. The building to the left was last seen as a Chickasaw hotel in 'The Treasure of Soggy Marsh', although I couldn't read the lettering here. The building with the red awning on the right was the Youth Center back in 'R.I.P. Henry Flatt'. Again the lettering is not clear enough to read.

CCLibrary0518.jpg

Just a background store here. Jesse parks his truck outside 'Bette Lou's Beauty Salon'. It was the record store in 'The New Dukes'.

BeautySalon0518.jpg

This is the jeweler's shop that gets robbed. It just seems to be called 'Fine Jewelry Ltd.' and boasts that it's 'Capitol City's Finest'. It was 'Ed's Cafeteria' in 'The New Dukes'. The sign just visible on the left says 'Orwell's', but just appears to be an entrance.

Jeweler0518.jpg

Uncle Jesse gets taken to 'City General Hospital'. I'm assuming this is stock footage because no cast members are shown. Is it a real hospital or just a TV hospital?. It doesn't look like a set.

CityGeneral0518.jpg

Looked similar to me too so I went and looked, but I don't think it's the same building.

Thanks for looking that one out MaryAnne. I'm determined to solve as many of these mysteries as I can but, like Laramie Street, they may no longer exist.

We've seen this building from 'Welcome Back, Bo and Luke' twice before, once as the State Courthouse in 'Duke of Duke' and once as the State Capitol in 'Uncle Boss'. This time around it's Central City General Hospital (as pointed out by CDoherty), though I still don't know where it is. The design of the windows is similar to the 'Big Brothers' building which is in the next post. It's not the same building, but I suspect it may be another backlot.

Hospital0519.jpg

Back in post #61 Roger asked about the 'Hazzard Bajou Theater'. I think this may be the building he was thinking of. The 'Bijou' (French for jewel) sign appears briefly at the start of 'Big Brothers, Duke'. Being Capitol City, we're back in New York Street again. This shot is taken through the building at 'F'.

Bijou0520.jpg

The reason Roger may have thought 'Bijou' was a theater is that there is a theater only a couple of doors down (it may appear as a theater in other episodes, but I'm working through them in order). We've seen the theater before in 'The New Dukes', but the 'Fine Arts' lettering and red curtain are slightly different here.

Theater0520.jpg

Just next to the theater is the 'Capitol City Savings & Loan' (previously seen in background in 'Dukes Strike it Rich'), and there's a florist next to that. The Bank of Capitol City would be just off the left of this picture.

Florist0520.jpg

After driving through New York Street, Bo and Luke arrive in another backlot that is used for the rest of Capitol City. I can't find a name for it, but it's quite close to the New York Street set (as indicated below). From what I've read online, this set was used for Gremlins and Spiderman amongst others. I'll post pictures if I get around to checking this out, or if anyone else has these movies, feel free to post pictures. I think the fire escape scene in 'Uncle Boss' may have been filmed here too (see the third picture in post #34).

OtherBacklot.jpg

This shot of the General arriving is taken looking towards the point marked 'i'. The background buildings include a hotel and apartments.

Street1_0520.jpg

Bo and Luke finally make it to the 'Big Brothers' building. The basement steps that Andy Slocum is watching their arrival from must have been somewhere else, because I can't see them here. It's roughly at the place marked 'ii'.

Street2_0520.jpg

As Andy drives off in the General, he passes a couple more businesses at point 'iii'. They include 'Chuck's Bar' and a bail bonds office. It appears to be a one-way street (see sign just above the General), yet the patrol car is already facing in the wrong direction when he sets off to give chase.

Street3_0520.jpg

We're on to season 6 now, and in the first few episodes very little has changed. Away from the square, 'Lulu's Gone Away' finishes at the 'Tri-County Amusement Park'. Here's the entrance just before the bad guys smash through the gate.

Amusement1_0601.jpg

I'm guessing the fight scenes were filmed at 'Six Flags Magic Mountain Amusement Park' near Santa Clarita. If I'm right, that would make this the 'Colossus' roller coaster (when it opened in 1978 it was the fastest, largest dual-tracked wooden coaster). I haven't been able to confirm that this was the location, but the park was used in several TV shows and movies. I think Luke's fight took place in Children's World, which became Bugs Bunny World a couple of years later due to a Warner Bros. tie-in (another reason for me to think this was the location). If anyone can confirm or refute these claims, please let me know.

Amusement2_0601.jpg

Hazzard Square has had more than its fair share of attorneys-at-law in the first five seasons, but a new one appears when the Dukes need to consult one in 'A Baby for the Dukes'. Gary Butler's office is through the doorway between 'J.D. Hogg's Furniture Mart' and the post office.

Attorney0602.jpg

The last picture here is from 'Too Many Roscos'. It's just another shot of the house at the end of the street where Boss lives. The trees have grown a lot since we first saw it.

BackgroundHouse0603.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's Six Flags Magic Mountain. If I recall correctly, they ran some of the fight/chase through the Jet Stream ride and that big coaster is most definitely is Colossus.

On an aside, Castaic Lake (used to go fishing there) is not too far from there and in one episode, I could've sworn I saw Rosco drive past a big sign that said "Castaic" on it. LOL. I think it was a 2nd season episode, but I don't recall.

I could've sworn I saw Rosco drive past a big sign that said "Castaic" on it. LOL. I think it was a 2nd season episode, but I don't recall.

I'll keep an eye out for that one, but I don't remember it.

Now that Mufn has confirmed the amusement park location as 'Magic Mountain' I thought I'd include a few more shots that I got from 'Lulu's Gone Away'. They're slightly out of sequence because I wanted to keep the Luke ones together. First is a picture of the bad guys entering the park. The next two shots are of one of the bad guys and Bo around the 'Jet Stream' ride. It opened in 1972 (a year after the park) and still seems to be there today, although the addition of other rides around it make it harder to spot in aerial views. The last picture is Boss with his sleeves rolled up, ready to attack!.

Amusement3_0601.jpg

In Luke's chase he goes past the carousel, through the hanging spongy tubes, over a wobbly bridge, avoids the 'Wizard's Castle' and ends up in a pit full of small plastic balls (not shown).

Amusement4_0601.jpg

Back nearer to the square, this picture is from 'Brotherly Love'. Tex Tompkins is using a payphone near his 'park bench for an office'. This shot was taken near New York Street, in a street called Embassy Courtyard, looking towards the building at 'E' from over by the trees .

Telephone0604.jpg

This is the hospital Luke is taken to after the car crash. It probably wasn't a real hospital, but it does look like it was filmed on location (not a set or backlot). There are fields off to the right and a road to the left. Behind it is a Shell gas station. I was suprised to see the Shell signs because hardly any brand names appear in the show.

Hospital0604.jpg

Another episode, another hospital. There do seem to be a lot of different ones used around this part of the run. This one is the Chickasaw Hospital that Daisy has to visit to get a copy of Rod's birth certificate in 'The Boar's Nest Bears'. This also looks like a real building (though again probably not a hospital), but I haven't had any luck working out where it is.

Hospital0605.jpg

'Targets: Daisy and Lulu' starts off at the Capitol City Airport. I have some pictures if anyone's interested, but apart from a public road in the background of one shot, and several small planes in another, there isn't much to give away its location. The rest of the pictures in this post are from later in that episode.

This is the house to the left of Boss's house (building #19). Due to the surrounding trees and camera angles we rarely get a good look at it. This is the best I've seen so far.

House0608.jpg

'J.D. Hogg's Furniture Mart' only made it a few episodes into season 6 before being replaced by the 'Hazzard Square Emporium'. That's Boss and Rosco in the dresses!.

Emporium0608.jpg

The alley between the hardware store and the hotel seems to have been opened up a little (it's less dark). In the background you can see 'Hazzard Feed and Seed'.

FeedSeed0608.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong (i haven't seen that episode in a while) but I'm almost certain Lou Anne Moffet says Capitol City Hospital,not Chickasaw.

I don't need to correct you, it looks like you're right CD. That is Capitol City Hospital. I skipped through the episode looking for pictures, and missed the vital piece of dialog that named it. I assumed it was Chickasaw due to the opposing basketball team and the fact that Sheriff Little was chasing them. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. What can I say: "I ain't perfect ... just ...", no I've got to leave Bo's quote there!.

As luck would have it, we're back in Capitol City for 'Twin Trouble'. The jewelers is down the same section of New York Street as the Fine Arts Theater, but on the other side of the road and about four doors down from the 'B' on the map. It's roughly opposite 'Bijou' from a couple of posts back.

Jewelers0609.jpg

The getaway car is parked outside the Capitol City Hotel next door.

Hotel1_0609.jpg

The getaway car then appears heading in the opposite direction, and goes past the Fine Arts Theater. That yellow Mustang on the right looks familiar.

Street1_0609.jpg

The car then rounds the corner by the Bank of Capitol City. I've inset a present day map (the arrow indicates the direction we're looking) to show how this cul-de-sac in New York Street has now been blocked off with a building across the street.

Street2_0609.jpg

Some more background stores from Capitol City now. In this one there's 'Dixie's Steak House' and Horizon - I can't make out what Horizon sells, it was hard enough getting a still shot of it.

Horizon0609.jpg

On the other side of the road the stores have completely changed since we were here last time, although no names are readable.

Street3_0609.jpg

Capitol City has also lost its library, it's now City Hall. The building on the right (formerly the Youth Center) is now the 'Mid-Town Athletic Club'.

CityHall0609.jpg

It's interesting to note that Luke called Sheriff Floyd of Hatchapee County after he gets knocked out. A later conversation suggests that Capitol City is in his jurisdiction, yet it was Sheriff Little of Chickasaw County chasing the Dukes to Capitol City Hospital in 'The Boar's Nest Bears'. Does this mean that the hospital is in a different county to Capitol City itself?.

Back in Hazzard Square the hotel has had a minor makeover, and now has a projecting sign on the left hand side. Uncle Jesse's pickup is so dirty in this episode it looks beige instead of white!.

Hotel2_0609.jpg

We're definitely back in Hazzard Square for 'Enos's Last Chance'. Initially I couldn't work out where Scanlon was sitting in this shot.

OConnor1_0610.jpg

Luckily all became clear from further back. He was sat outside O'Connor Paint Supply, although I don't remember that bench being there before. For the first time in this episode I noticed a car come from behind O'Connor Paint Supply, suggesting that this corner had been opened up as it is today. The car on fire belongs to poor old Enos.

OConnor2_0610.jpg

'WHOGG' has moved from its previous location in French Street to building #2 next to the bank, formerly the 'Hazzard County Gazette'. We get a good overhead shot later in this episode, but I thought I'd post the close-up. Due to the rooftop look-outs we get several other high up views of the square, but I don't think they show anything new.

WHOGG1_0610.jpg

The interior of WHOGG was filmed inside building #2 - the square is visible through the window.

WHOGG2_0610.jpg

A couple more pictures from 'Enos's Last Chance'. First is a close-up of the church sign. Boss and Rosco were hiding behind it. This was one of my first re-creations in the Signs of Hazzard thread.

ChurchSign0610.jpg

Another mystery building now. During the montage of people listening to Enos's radio broadcast we see the 'Cottonwood Boarding House'. I don't recognize it as being any of the regular buldings in Hazzard Square, unless it's a new angle. Maybe CDoherty will recognize it or tell me another episode it was in.

Cottonwood0610.jpg

The next few episodes don't make much use of the square, and when they do I didn't spot any changes (except the brief re-appearance of 'J.D. Hogg's Furniture Mart' and the 'Hazzard County Gazette'). Aircraft featured in both 'High Flyin' Dukes' and 'Cooter's Girl'. After watching these two episodes I'm convinced that I correctly identified the airstrip location in this thread. The same airstrip also featured in 'Comrade Duke' and maybe a couple of other episodes. Now it's just a plowed field.

In 'Dead and Alive' Bo and Luke end up locked in Sheriff Little's jail. In this episode French Street once again stands in for Chickasaw. Here we see Sheriff Little running across the road outside building #30. If you look over the back of his patrol car you can see the 'Hazzard Picture Palace' in the background.

Chickasaw0614.jpg

In the previous picture Sheriff Little is trying to stop Bo and Luke getting The General out of the impound yard. Chickasaw Impound Yard looks suspiciously like the Hazzard Impound Yard from 'The Sound of Music - Hazzard Style' (see this post). Not surprising when they are both building #25.

Impound0614.jpg

Another mystery building now. During the montage of people listening to Enos's radio broadcast we see the 'Cottonwood Boarding House'. I don't recognize it as being any of the regular buldings in Hazzard Square, unless it's a new angle. Maybe CDoherty will recognize it or tell me another episode it was in.

Cottonwood0610.jpg

Hoss is that all we see of that building?or is there a wide shot showing more of the upstairs?

From looking at the picture I can see what looks like a sound stage in the background,which means its probably somewhere around Hazzard Square,as the design seems to fit in with the rest of the houses in the square.

And those bushes look like the ones we see beside the church,so it could be located in the area behind the church.

Hoss is that all we see of that building?or is there a wide shot showing more of the upstairs?

From looking at the picture I can see what looks like a sound stage in the background,which means its probably somewhere around Hazzard Square,as the design seems to fit in with the rest of the houses in the square.

And those bushes look like the ones we see beside the church,so it could be located in the area behind the church.

Thanks CD. The initial shot shows about 6 inches more of the upstairs and there's no long shot. From looking at all the previous pictures I now think this is building #19 (next to Boss's house). There's a lot of trees around it so we rarely get to see it clearly. I think they've even added some at the left to hide the buildings behind. Take a look at this picture of building #19 and see what you think. I've never seen it with the 'Cottonwood' sign before though.

Nothing new to report in 'Undercover Dukes Part 1', but 'Uncover Dukes Part 2' includes a visit to Capitol City. Unlike previous episodes that used New York Street, this one uses French Street. The newsstand is at the right hand side of building #26. In building #27 is 'Capitol City Bakery'. The same building was a Chickasaw bakery in 'The Treasure of Soggy Marsh', although the signage is completely different.

CCNewsstand0617.jpg

I think I can make out the letters 'Real Estate' on building #28. Much more obvious is the 'Law Offices' sign on building #29.

CCLawOffice.jpg

To the right of the newsstand, and taking up most of building #26 are the 'Capitol City Medical Offices'.

CCMedical.jpg

Plain-clothed Boss and Rosco (still wearing his sheriff's badge!) pull into the gas station opposite the newsstand. The gas station is a redressed building #25, seen recently as the Chickasaw Impound Yard. Although this is meant to be Capitol City, you can see the top of Rhuebottom's in the shots looking across the road from the gas station (not shown here).

CCGasStation.jpg

From looking at all the previous pictures I now think this is building #19 (next to Boss's house). There's a lot of trees around it so we rarely get to see it clearly. I think they've even added some at the left to hide the buildings behind. Take a look at this picture of building #19 and see what you think.

At first I was thinking it was #19 but after comparingthe two its clear they aren't the same,unless the whole house was remodeled.

From looking closely at the picture I can see a big oak tree in the top right hand corner,and what look like mountains to the left of the house.There's also some sort of building,which i initially said is a soundstage,but after looking at the picture more closely it looks to be a two story building (or possibly even a bungalow).

Hoss I can see where you're coming from,but I've serious doubts that #19 is the house in question.

Hoss I can see where you're coming from,but I've serious doubts that #19 is the house in question.

I'll keep looking. If I get a better shot of building #19, I'll post it.

I've been trying to get a clear picture of this sign over in the corner near O'Connor Paint Supply. It obviously says 'Surplus Furniture', but I still can't make out the name on it. It's been visible in the background in several episodes now. This picture, from 'How to Succeed in Hazzard', also shows the road that's next to O'Connor Paint Supply (mentioned a few posts back). It gets used several times in this episode.

Surplus0618.jpg

This picture is included because it shows the space next to Boss's house. In the background is what I think may be the back of the 'Morgan's Glueworks' building shown in this post.

Fence0618.jpg

Here's building #25 painted in plain white. It only appears in the background in this episode and displays no signage. In one shot there's a car driving into it, suggesting it may be a garage. Does Cooter have competition in Hazzard?.

Garage0618.jpg

Building #6 hasn't appeared in this thread since it got a makeover a couple of seasons back. I've only included it here because it has a 'For Sale' sign in the window. Dewey Hogg comes around the front of it after he gets out of the bank vault.

ForeSale0618.jpg

In 'Close Call for Daisy', Daisy hides out with Enos in what is described as "the only boarding house in Hazzard". I guess that means that the 'Cottonwood Boarding House' from a few episodes back has now closed (or been forgotten). We get to see the house (building #21) three times, once at night, and the other two times it must have been dusk because the lighting was slightly odd. Each time the shot is framed so that no other buildings are visible, possibly to give the impression that it's not on Hazzard Square. This building has been a boarding house at least twice before, but gets new signage for this episode (inset). I think it says 'Weekly & Monthly Rates' and the name underneath is 'Mrs. Parker'.

Boarding0619.jpg

Daisy's nurse's outfit gets sent to the cleaners, along with Norman Willis's notebook. The cleaners is building #27 in French Street. There is also a business with yellow window signage in building #26, but the grabs I got were too blurry to read.

Cleaners0619.jpg

Next door, in building #28, is a real estate office. It looks like it's the same one that appeared in 'Undercover Dukes Part 2' (see a few posts back). That time it was in Capitol City!.

RealEstate0619.jpg

The final chase scene in 'Close Call for Daisy' takes place at an industrial site. After looking at several possible locations, I'm almost certain that it takes place at the San Fernando Valley Generating Station. It's not far from Warner's backlot and several surrounding landmarks tie in nicely, although the small lake where the cars get left seems to have dried up. Perhaps Mufn has some local knowledge to help out. See for yourself on Google Maps.

PowerStation0619.jpg