Hazzard Square

2 hours ago, MonacoMan said:

That’s cool about possibly Uncle Jesse’s truck being used in a scene...wonder if it was a truck on the studio lot, and was still there when Dukes came? Of course an identical one would have been originally used in Georgia, before moving to the Warner Bros lot in CA...so maybe the truck in the P.P. reunion was just a coincidence?:tup:

The image quality of the YouTube video isn't great, but I think the truck driven by Norman in 'Murder in Peyton Place' was the higher spec Ranger XLT. Even the very clean Uncle Jesse truck which appeared in the backlot scenes of 'Luke's Love Story' (below) never looked as good.

Rhuebottoms0106.jpg

The picture above is from the first page of this thread. The truck is noticeably cleaner and less dented than the one used for filming at the Golden Oak Ranch.

BTW. The California trucks weren't identical to the Georgia one. Just like Daisy's car, they changed the model when they moved production. In the first episodes, Jesse had a 1968 F-100 Stepside (below). For the rest of the run, they kept close to the 1973 F-100, but there were slight variations such as bed length.

JessePickup0105.jpg

As an aside, Christopher Connelly, who played Norman Harrington in 'Murder in Peyton Place', was the bad guy in an episode of 'CHiPs' which I watched last weekend. With the help of his sister-in-law, he was trying to kill Jon and Ponch, who he blamed for the death of his brother. It was the season 4 episode 'New Guy in Town' for anyone who wants to check it out.

13 hours ago, HossC said:

The image quality of the YouTube video isn't great, but I think the truck driven by Norman in 'Murder in Peyton Place' was the higher spec Ranger XLT. Even the very clean Uncle Jesse truck which appeared in the backlot scenes of 'Luke's Love Story' (below) never looked as good.

Rhuebottoms0106.jpg

The picture above is from the first page of this thread. The truck is noticeably cleaner and less dented than the one used for filming at the Golden Oak Ranch.

BTW. The California trucks weren't identical to the Georgia one. Just like Daisy's car, they changed the model when they moved production. In the first episodes, Jesse had a 1968 F-100 Stepside (below). For the rest of the run, they kept close to the 1973 F-100, but there were slight variations such as bed length.

JessePickup0105.jpg

As an aside, Christopher Connelly, who played Norman Harrington in 'Murder in Peyton Place', was the bad guy in an episode of 'CHiPs' which I watched last weekend. With the help of his sister-in-law, he was trying to kill Jon and Ponch, who he blamed for the death of his brother. It was the season 4 episode 'New Guy in Town' for anyone who wants to check it out.

Yeah, they used more than one year/model of several “Dukes” character’s cars...Uncle Jesse’s truck did use different years, starting with the 68–which you never really saw up close or much of. They then switched to a 73, and I believe eventually a 77. Daisy started out with a 74 Plymouth Roadrunner, but eventually they switched to a 71 Plymouth Satellite—with the Roadrunner paint scheme. Then she had a new 80 Jeep, but a couple later year models were eventually used as well. IMCDb has a pretty in depth “Dukes” page & good listing of the vehicles used on the show.

Christopher Connelly played Norman Harrington for the entire original Peyton Place run, and in the reunions. He did star in some other movies and guest-starred on several other TV shows later on. Cool about the CHiPs episode—don’t remember that one, I’ll have to check it out sometime! Sadly he died in 1988 of lung cancer...lifelong smoker. :(

Edited by MonacoMan

On 6/22/2013 at 5:16 PM, HossC said:

Thanks for your comments.

Y'all may remember this picture from post #81. It's the hospital that Uncle Jesse gets taken to in 'Witness: Jesse Duke'.

CityGeneral0518.jpg

It looks like I was right about the clip being stock footage of a real hospital, because I think I've found it. Check out this view on Google Maps. It shows the east side of Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center. Using Historic Aerials, I've checked the location and found that the square white building with the helipad on the roof was just a car park back in 1980. Google Earth gives historical views back to 1989, and the white building was there by then. The height, roof and general design all look right to me - it's just a shame you can no longer get the view used in the show to confirm it.

Stock footage of this hospital also used in Salem's Lot in 1979. Car park area was redeveloped around 1977 I believe.

SL79_092_001b.jpg

SL79_092_001c.jpg

On 5/26/2020 at 10:01 AM, iansbolton said:

You're welcome. Thx for the welcome. Yes, it's the same sign though in a different position.

When I get time I'll have a delve through your forums as I've seen other locations used for DoH and Salem's Lot. Not a surprise as all Warner Bros.

Good to have you here iansbolton. We look forward to hearing more from you. 

• 1 month later...

This possibly might have been stated before if it’s true, but I think a 1979 episode of Wonder Woman (season 3’s “The Starships Are Coming”) used the ‘Hazzard Square’ (Warner Bros. set...not the real-life Georgia location) as a small town Diana Prince/W.W. has to go to, to investigate UFO sightings/abductions.

FYI...this comment has nothing to do with the town square, but if you happen to watch this episode, it’s pretty bad...Lynda Carter was amazing as Wonder Woman (and other episodes are WAY better), but the plot of this one is beyond stupid! :duh: 

Anyway, the square looks like the Hazzard one to me, but I could be wrong...some small town square sets used in TV shows back then, look kind of alike to me. :p

Edited by MonacoMan

:previous:

The video below has clips of that Wonder Woman episode interspersed with commentary on it. That's definitely Hazzard Square. I spotted the courthouse, gazebo and the street with Boss' house in the short bits that I watched.

As an aside, a place I used to work had a customer named Linda (with an "i") Carter who I mainly dealt with on the phone. I eventually met her, and she wasn't wearing the outfit!

13 hours ago, HossC said:

:previous:

The video below has clips of that Wonder Woman episode interspersed with commentary on it. That's definitely Hazzard Square. I spotted the courthouse, gazebo and the street with Boss' house in the short bits that I watched.

As an aside, a place I used to work had a customer named Linda (with an "i") Carter who I mainly dealt with on the phone. I eventually met her, and she wasn't wearing the outfit!

Awesome...I thought I recognized the courthouse, gazebo, and even a couple of the store buildings around the square! :banana: “W.W.” was also filmed at Warner Bros Studios, so it wasn’t too big a leap to think the same square could have been used in both.

That’s hilarious about the woman you knew also named Linda Carter (with an ‘i’)...bet she got teased about the name a lot (although actress Lynda is obviously with a ‘y’), especially back in the W.W. days! :lol:  Lynda Carter still has one of her W.W. suits/costumes, and according to her can still fit into it! 

Edited by MonacoMan

Here are some screengrabs of the square:

WonderWoman1.jpg

The episode has some other Dukes connections. Obviously Lynda Carter was in the 2005 movie. The cast also includes Tim O'Connor who was Thackery in 'Bad Day in Hazzard' and Doris Dowling who was Stacy Williams in 'Treasure of Hazzard' and Jenny in 'Go West, Young Dukes'.

This Wonder Woman episode originally aired on February 2, 1979, which was the same day as the premiere of the second Dukes episode, 'Daisy's Song'.

18 hours ago, HossC said:

Here are some screengrabs of the square:

WonderWoman1.jpg

The episode has some other Dukes connections. Obviously Lynda Carter was in the 2005 movie. The cast also includes Tim O'Connor who was Thackery in 'Bad Day in Hazzard' and Doris Dowling who was Stacy Williams in 'Treasure of Hazzard' and Jenny in 'Go West, Young Dukes'.

This Wonder Woman episode originally aired on February 2, 1979, which was the same day as the premiere of the second Dukes episode, 'Daisy's Song'.

Awesome trivia! I did know about Carter being in the 05 movie (although I haven’t seen it & don’t want to), but didn’t realize the premiere dates of the two episodes were the same! 

19 hours ago, HossC said:

I actually missed the first few episodes of Dukes. At the time I was in North Carolina going to truck driving school for the USMC Reserves. Everybody was talking about the show and so, one Friday night I went to the rec room and saw my first episode. I don't even remember which one it was. I think High Octane but I'm not sure. I liked it right away. Who would have thought it would be a lifetime love. I've only ever loved a few shows....Charlie's Angels, Dallas, A-Team, Stingray and more recently Duck Dynasty but DOH is the only one that stood the test of time. And to think I saw my first episode in the South. Sorry for getting off subject. 

2 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I actually missed the first few episodes of Dukes. At the time I was in North Carolina going to truck driving school for the USMC Reserves. Everybody was talking about the show and so, one Friday night I went to the rec room and saw my first episode. I don't even remember which one it was. I think High Octane but I'm not sure. I liked it right away. Who would have thought it would be a lifetime love. I've only ever loved a few shows....Charlie's Angels, Dallas, A-Team, Stingray and more recently Duck Dynasty but DOH is the only one that stood the test of time. And to think I saw my first episode in the South. Sorry for getting off subject. 

I love & have Charlie’s Angels, Dallas, and A-Team, too—as well as Wonder Woman, that I discovered the Hazzard square in an episode, lol! I wonder how many other TV shows have used the square over the years? 

14 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I've seen it a few times in stuff too but can't remember anything specific. It's bittersweet. Every time I see it I say "Hey! There's Hazzard Square!" Then I get sad "But it's not Hazzard anymore"

True, but it’s fun recognizing it...Hazzard or not. ;) And we can always appreciate & enjoy it being showcased in almost every episode of DOH! :tup: 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

HossC Did you do the Georgia square too?

No, I didn't. When I started the Hazzard Square thread, there were already two or three other sites detailing the Georgia filming locations. I'm not sure if they're still around.

15 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

HossC... Do you have pics of how the square looks today in the 2000s?

You can explore for yourself using Google Streetview. All the images I found are from 2017:

The square is virtually unchanged except for the signage and the missing gazebo:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1484339,-118.3363515,3a,75y,27.29h,89.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipNx_3SA01X0a5x_lxLhxDrNiYMVMOSXka0RF7dc!2e10!7i13312!8i6656

The buildings after Boss' house have been replaced:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1481362,-118.3363549,3a,75y,145.66h,84.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipMq0FhUMQtBIjl0pnt6Sg0k3IIhkeJTwI4EYPpr!2e10!7i13312!8i6656

Sadly, Cooter's and Rhuebottom's were replaced years ago (as noted earlier in the thread)
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1484339,-118.3363515,3a,75y,27.29h,89.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipNx_3SA01X0a5x_lxLhxDrNiYMVMOSXka0RF7dc!2e10!7i13312!8i6656