Hazzard Square

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Great video Mark. I don't remember ever hearing the song before - maybe it wasn't a hit over here. Looks like it came out in 1987, just two years after Dukes finished, but the square looks quite different. I wonder what they were filming at the time - I doubt they dressed it just for the video. I liked the square with the '50s cars in it. I wonder how a '50s episode of Dukes would have worked after they did 'Go West, Young Dukes'. 'Back to the Future' came out in 1985, so if Dukes had continued it may have been a popular storyline.

I had to look us the original clip that your video was based on - it's not Hazzard, but the stores wouldn't look out of place and the dog is better trained :).

Bobby Van - Take me to Broadway (Small Town Girl, 1953)

I've just done some digging around, and I've found that Warner Bros.' website now has virtual tours and photo galleries for their exterior sets. You can find them here. It also finally gives me a name for the set used in 'Big Brothers, Duke' (see below), 'The Dukes in Hollywood' and 'Hazzard in Hollywood' - it's Hennesy Street.

Street2_0520.jpg

And for Mark, here's a clip from the finale of the 1962 movie 'The Music Man' where Midwest Street plays the part of River City, Iowa. The building near the start (around 26 seconds in) looks like the mysterious building that caused us so much head-scratching earlier in this thread. It appeared in Dukes as a hospital (see below) and the state court. Look out for a very young Ronny Howard near the end of the clip - 14 years before he returned to the square in 'The Shootist'.

76 Trombones - Music Man (1962)

Hospital0519.jpg

Hoss, you are brilliant. I'm putting that WB link on the homepage and giving you credit for the discovery. Man, I wish we could rent that Midwest Street studio lot and host a big ol' Dukes of Hazzard party there.

It's just a little creepy when I start quoting myself and replying, ain't it? Helps me keep track of things tho'.

Hoss and Mark B., you both got a little fame on the homepage for finding those links, and for your other creative contributions. Thanks!

In talking about the WB studio lots, I noticed that the upcoming Muppet Movie used it for a scene. You guys have sharp eyes, see if I'm right. It's around 2:02 in this

It's just a little creepy when I start quoting myself and replying, ain't it?

In talking about the WB studio lots, I noticed that the upcoming Muppet Movie used it for a scene. You guys have sharp eyes, see if I'm right. It's around 2:02 in this

Let me quote you instead :). Great spot Brian, that is definitely Hazzard Square (Midwest Street). It only appears for a second or two so I've merged two grabs together to show the full width. You have the bank on the left through to the theater on the right:

MuppetMovie.jpg

How do you know that the Boars Nest is the location that is in the street 290 Flat Rock Rd, Covington, GA 30054 and was filmed in the television series The Dukes of Hazzard in 1979-1985. The Boars Nest is a restaurant and where it appears Daisy Dukes and Bo and Luke Duke and Jesse Duke also, because the food of the restaurant is very good! :-P

I think it's a good idea to have the restaurant Boars Nest in the equal in the television series The Dukes of Hazzard for the people enter and see the museum as chair, phone and other things and it would be fantastic for see like was like this many years ago...do not you think?

And also wanted to see the photos…

Thanks Alex. The original Boar's Nest is at that address in Georgia. You can check it out on Google Maps. Last time I checked, it was a church - there's a fairly recent picture below. I really chose to concentrate this thread on the California filming locations because HazzardNet member Wekke already has a great webpage about the Georgia locations used in the first five episodes. It includes 'then and now' pictures from his visit there. Unfortunately the page seems to be down at the moment (it was working last week) - I will post a link if it becomes available again. I can post Google Maps links to a few of the other Georgia locations if anyone wants them.

OldBoarsNest.jpg

It's too bad the original farmhouse got tore down but it's nice to see the old Boar's Nest still standing.

Here's some lore for anybody interested in stories about the original Boar's Nest in Georgia. Back in the late 90's it was vacant; right before that it had been a sort of clubhouse, but I can't recall the organization. Anyhow, it was vacant when the first organized Dukes fan shindig got together. (This pre-dated DukesFest.)

The place was in rough shape. The interior was really dark - the ceiling was painted black. But there were tables, chairs, and a bar, and a few working interior lights. After giving the place a quick spruce-up the party was on. No big rowdy stuff, just mostly yapping over beer, soda, chips. Sonny, Jerry Rushing, and Don Pedro (Sheriff Little) joined us.

People who had General Lees and replica patrol cars were horsing around with them up and down the highway, and tearing around the parking lot. Mostly, everybody sat around and took in the atmosphere. Here we were. A group of us were from all over the country, sitting at the Boar's Nest in Georgia. It was a unique feeling. And yet a little sad, as this was like Cinderella's ball - for one night, the Boar's Nest was packed, full of voices, noise, laughter. But only for one night.

It was a common fantasy at the time to buy this original Boar's Nest and restore it to glory. After the shindig, a few of us seriously looked into it. The owners at the time wanted some $80,000 for the place - and it was a mess.

There were outstanding code violations on the building. There were zoning restrictions that prohibited you from doing almost anything in the way of running a business at that location. Which is likely why it was a clubhouse before, for once-a-week meetings, and became a church thereafter, also for once-a-week meetings.

But the fantasy endures. Who knows, someday it may once again become the Boar's Nest.

What episode is this from? I remember Mr. Fong welding the wok and on the mortocycle, but I don't rememeber the store.

This is the inside of Billy Joe Fong's 'CB & Radio' store that was mentioned a few posts back. It's situated in building #5, and surprisingly we get to see the view out of the window. This consists of the back of either building 7, 8 or 9. I don't think Bo and Luke would have raced so quickly around the bend if that big metal fence had been there more often. The picture is from 'Miz Tisdale on the Lam'. I love the early '80s electronics he has for sale.

BJFong0418.jpg

Boar's Nest a bar at the time they filmed in Georgia? Or, did the show come to town and build the existing building up as a bar? I was under the impression that it was an existing bar that the production team just added the gas pumps in front (which have never really made since to me; unless they would've explained the Boar's Nest as an old gas station. Speaking of; I don't ever recall anyone getting gas from those pumps. And they disappear in later seasons!) Just wondering... Also, do you have any pics of that night you talked about? Be great to see a few!

I was under the impression that it was an existing bar that the production team just added the gas pumps in front (which have never really made since to me; unless they would've explained the Boar's Nest as an old gas station. Speaking of; I don't ever recall anyone getting gas from those pumps. And they disappear in later seasons!)

I'm not sure about the history of the building before Dukes, maybe Brian or one of the other members can help you out. On the gas pumps, I can't speak for the US, but here in Ireland it's not uncommon to see gas pumps outside rural pubs, although they're not all still in use and are starting to disappear - here's one not far from where I live. Some small villages have a pub, small grocery shop and gas pumps all in one business. My favorite combination (which I've seen more than once) is pub, liquor store and funeral parlor :).

Considering all the driving, and the poor gas mileage they must have got, it's a wonder that you didn't see more people constantly filling their cars.