2011 NASCAR Fantasy

Garrett Duke

With the 2011 NASCAR season underway, I have signed up for a NASCAR fantasy team for the second time in a row. Though this time it is with members from Jeff Gordon's official website fanforum and has more members that I had with my cousin's team which was only the three of us (though I was the winner of the team of three. Not so bad on my first try.) Though sadly, didn't fare too well on the first race of the season since all four of my starters were involved in accidents throughout the race. :(

Well tonight I got to thinking that it would be neat to start a team of my own if I could find people interested in doing so. It is no big deal if I don't either, since I am a part of another team. Just thought I'd post here and see if anyone would be interested...

It is on Yahoo and it is free to join and play. You don't recieve anything for winning, but a congradulations...it is all for FUN.

For all that is somewhat interested, here are some of the rules or how it works:

*Every week you chose eight drivers to be in your team that week (or if you don't change it the next week, it will stay with last week's picks.)

* Four of the drivers are starters, the other four are bench drivers. The starter drivers you will get points for where they qualify at, for laps led, and where they finish the race at. Whereas the bench drivers will get you points for where they qualify at ... so for them it don't matter if they finish first or last or if the led a lap.

*There are three groups of drivers. Group A (the more seasoned drivers, drivers that win more...) Group B (drivers that are good, but don't win as often) and Group C (the underdog drivers...the rookies and the drivers that you don't think of to win races.)

*From Group A you pick one starter driver and one bench driver. From Group B you pick two starters and two bench. From Group C you pick one starter, one bench. On Yahoo they do have driver stats and expert picks that you can use from race to race - though it don't neccesarily mean a great finish

(For an example, here is what my team consisted of last week for Daytona:

Group A: Jeff Gordon (S) Jimmie Johnson (B)

Group B: Dale Jr (S) Jamie McMurray (S) Ryan Newman (B) AJ Allmendinger (B)

Group C: Michael Waltrip (S) Paul Menard (B))

I have picked different drivers for this upcoming race, drivers I think will do good at Phoenix.

*For starters, you can only use a driver nine times (Bummer, I know. I'd love to use Gordon all 36 races...oh well. ;) )

That is all I can think of as rules right now...I find it fun and entertaining. It gives me more than just Gordon, Johnson, and Jr to follow throughout the whole race.

So if anyone is interested or have questions please post them here or PM them to me soon so I can get it started. We missed a race, but it's all in fun after all. They give you a date and time that you have to pick your drivers by and for this week it is early Sat. morning...so we will most likely miss this upcoming race too unless I get a couple of people that are interested by tomorrow night.

I was thinking, if there are people interested and I do create a team, that I would call our team: HAZZARD COUNTY RACING TEAM. If I only get a couple of people interested, I will probably leave it public, but if more people are interested, perhaps make it a private team. My last year's team only consisted of three players and it was still fun.

Just let me know what y'all think :D.

Well, the second race of the season has started out well for my fantasy team. Went with Carl Edwards in the A column as my starter and he just earned his first pole of the season. My A bench driver went with Roger's driver...Kurt Busch and he starts second. Perhaps Carl can hang on and get me my first win of the seasn. HA HA. Guess I'll have to wait on that one.

Thanks for the offer to play fantasy NASCAR Garrett but I'm going to pass (no pun intended). I'm starting to get involved in other things and don't want to get too overloaded.

I joined a fantasy baseball league for the first time so it will be interesting to see how well I can do as a rookie. I'm also a rookie in my fantasy basketball league and I'm in first place in my division but I get the feeling that baseball is going to be tougher. Both leagues are with yahoo. Everybody says yahoo is easy to use especially for people like me who struggle with computers. I'm finding out they're right. I'm manuevering through it pretty well.

Now that I've rejected your offer, if you want to join our baseball league, we still have about 4 openings.

That is OK Roger...doesn't look like too many people are interested in NASCAR fantasy. It was just an idea and thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck with your baseball team. Not so sure if I want to join or not at the moment, it looks like fun though...I love baseball as much as NASCAR. :D Thanks for letting me know either way. :)

• 11 months later...

Well last year I didn't have anyone who wanted to join a fantasy NASCAR team, but thought I would put it on the table if anyone would be interested in it. Would love to start my own team if I could find anyone who would want to join in my team. If not, that is OK too. Just signed up for my second team for this year and the 2012 NASCAR season is still 29 days away.

Same rules and all that stuff still applies that I posted in my original post from last year. It is rather simple and I found it easier than the baseball, football, basketball, and hockey ones that I have done this year. Not that they were hard, but this one is a tad simpler just because you can chose from all the drivers each and every week - though you can only use the driver nine times throughout the season...for example - I can only use Jeff Gordon for nine races (as the starter...you can use them as the bench drivers as much as possible).

If you have any questions or are interested please let me know either on here or through PM.

TRP Coltrane - the game is asolutely FREE! Otherwise I wouldn't be playing that or any other fantasy sport I am playing. On some sites you do pitch in to play and who ever wins gets all that money, but yahoo you don't pay a dime to play. Nor get anything if you win...other than a cyber award. HA.

When I started this thread, I had posted the rules and how to play, but it is always good to get refreshed. Just don't feel like you have to agree w ith it if you are not interested in it.

Each race week you will have to chose eight drivers...drivers you feel will have the best start and finish to the race (usually you have to pick them out two days before the race or qualifing run). There is three categories...A, B, C -I think the drivers are put in the categories as to how they ran last season. A is the top notch drivers. Drivers that usually have the best finishes, the most wins. B are the good drivers that will win every once in awhile and have an average finish. C are the underdog drivers - drivers that don't normally finish all that well.

Every week you chose two drivers from the A category. One will be the starter driver - the driver where points will be given to where they start, how many laps they led, and where they finish. The bench drivers only get points as to where they start - don't matter if they lead a lap or even if they finish the race. Then you chose four drivers from the B category - two starter drivers and two bench drivers. And for the C category you chose one starter and one for the bench.

(For an example, here is what my team consisted of last year for Daytona:

Now you can only start a driver NINE times throughout the entire season. You can use them as bench drivers as often as you like. For example: I can only pick Gordon nine times...or the list of your favorite drivers, you can only use one of them nine times. So you can't use one driver all the time...otherwise you will not get points after you use them for the nine races.

Also for scoring wise...they have a spring, summer, and playoff section where you get ranked as to how you did compared to other people who are playing in your league. And then they have a full season where it ranks how you did all year long. Last year I think I finished eightth over all...not where I wanted to be, but it is fun all the same. Gives you more than just your normal drivers to go for.

If you or anyone else has any questions please let me know and I will answer them to the best of my ability. Am looking forward to Daytona...28 more days!:lol:

• 10 months later...

Well the NASCAR season won't start for another 62 days . . . *SIGH*. . . and I for one am anxious for the arrival of speed weeks. Or better yet for Daytona 500...NASCAR's Super Bowl race. :D

I just checked Yahoo's Fantasy Auto Racing (NASCAR) and they say that the season has concluded (sigh) but will reopen in early January. Only a week or so away! Which got me somewhat excited...for a fresh start in fantasy sports. Though I did make it into the play off section for my fantasy football team...

Anyway, once again, am interested in creating my own Fantasy NASCAR league if I can find anyone interested in joining. Otherwise, I could create one and make it public...but it would be more fun playing with people that I know.

For all that is somewhat interested, here are some of the rules or how it works:

*Every week you chose eight drivers to be in your team that week (or if you don't change it the next week, it will stay with last week's picks.)

* Four of the drivers are starters, the other four are bench drivers. The starter drivers you will get points for where they qualify at, for laps led, and where they finish the race at. Whereas the bench drivers will get you points for where they qualify at ... so for them it don't matter if they finish first or last or last.

*There are three groups of drivers. Group A (the more seasoned drivers, drivers that win more...) Group B (drivers that are good, but don't win as often) and Group C (the underdog drivers...the rookies and the drivers that you don't think of to win races.)

*From Group A you pick one starter driver and one bench driver. From Group B you pick two starters and two bench. From Group C you pick one starter, one bench. On Yahoo they do have driver stats and expert picks that you can use from race to race - though it don't neccesarily mean a great finish

(Here is an example of what a roster may look like:

*For starters, you can only use a driver nine times (Bummer, I know. I'd love to use Gordon all 36 races...oh well. )

That is all I can think of as rules right now...I find it fun and entertaining. It gives me more than just Gordon, Johnson, and Jr to follow throughout the whole race.

If you have questions about the game please ask them here or message me and I would be glad to answer them the best that I could. If you are interested in joining my league, please let me know here or message me...Never thought I would be for fantasy sports, but now that I am in it, find it fun and addicting. My league would just be for fun and NOT for any money.

Count me in Garrett. It will be an honor getting beat by such a knowledgable NASCAR fan as you.

(Of course beating you would be even more fun and that's exactly what I plan on doing)

I'm wondering if you should start a new thread and title it 2013 Fantasy NASCAR. I think folks might avoid clicking on this thread since it's title is old.

And....if you do it now the first post will be dated Dec 25! What a great Christmas present....the official start of your NASCAR league.