2011 Sprint Cup race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Call it what you want Roger...still not happy about missing this race. HA HA. (Actually, was going to miss it if they raced on Sunday since I went and saw Marty Stuart. But would have been able to see it today if they raced on Monday as they normally do when the race gets postponed...)

I just hope this tropical storm Lee will pass over and not inflict too much harm on any one or anything. Doesn't sound like fun at all...

Marty's awesome. I've never seen him in concert but it would be worth the price of admission just to hear him perform "Hillbilly Rock"

Marty Stuart is awesome and he put on an awesome show! He is a great perfomer and seems to be a great guy. A good sense of humor. Was only an hour long concert, but it was a great hour and it was worth any price to see...though the only thing we paid was to get into the fair grounds (plus I bought Marty's new GREAT CD). "Hillbilly Rock" is my all time favorite Marty Stuart songs...was really excited when he played that song. Awesome song - love it! Wish they would play him and his music on the radio :(. Not to make you jealous or anything, Roger, but after his concert, got to stand in line and shook Marty's hand and got Marty's and his band's autograph on the new CD I bought. It was a great night. Great show...would suggest you go see him if you ever get the chance to do so. :D

Well I didn't get to watch the race today...and dang, I missed a great race! I listened to it on the radio at work, but definately NOT the same thing as watching it live on TV. (Thanks to the new digital box, I couldn't even record it...so frustrated!) Guess there is little I can do about it...

But with all that aside...am very excited to announce that JEFF GORDON WON AT ATLANTA...HIS EIGHTY-FIFTH CAREER WIN! (I'm a little excited, if y'all can't tell!) Sounded like an exciting finish to the end...Jimmie Johnson gave Gordon a run for his money the last eighteen or so laps, but Gordon held on tight to earn the win. He now has more wins that Darrell Waltrip, Bobby Allison. He is the third winningest driver in NASCAR history behind Richard Petty and David Pearson. :D

Sorry for the lack of a review here...listened to it at work so was distracted with two year olds running around yelling, but did hear the name Jeff Gordon's name mentioned alot on the radio...am still very excited. This is Gordon's third win of the year...should have been more if he hadn't been robbed a couple of 'em, but who's counting? LOL.

Here is the top ten finishes of the race:

1. JEFF GORDON

2. Jimmie Johnson

3. Tony Stewart

4. Kurt Busch

5. Carl Edwards

6. Brad Keselowski

7. Kevin Harvick

8. Denny Hamlin

9. Matt Kenseth

10. AJ Allmindinger

Richmond is Saturday night race...which is the last race of the regular season. Meaning there is only eleven more races left of the season...how depressing is that? LOL. Then the withdrawal will start all over again.

Well I am not going to worry about that now, for now I am just celebrating win number 85 from Jeff Gordon and his third win of the season. :D

I'll be lazy. Here is the new points in the top twelve...

1. Jimmie Johnson (new point leader!)

2. Kyle Busch -21

3. Carl Edwards

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Jeff Gordon (Climbed up a spot...)

6. Kevin Harvick

7. Kurt Busch

8. Ryan Newman

9. Dale Earnhardt Jr

10. Tony Stewart

(Eleven and twelve place will be determined by wins after Richmond...looks like they already put that into play in the points as of what they would look like according to wins...)

11. Brad Keselowski

12. Denny Hamlin

Some Jeff Gordon trivia...Gordon won his 85th time at a track where he started his career at...not only that, Gordon's first NASCAR race was Richard Petty's last race.

Edited by Garrett Duke

Shame you had to miss the race Garrett, you didn't get to see the bright pink pace car - are they trying to expand the viewing demographic?. I got to see pretty much the whole race - I missed half of the first lap, and used to red flag period to cook dinner :).

Jeff Gordon had a fast car all day and often had at least a two second lead, but during the first half of the race his car was not good on long runs. His early pit stops were good, and whatever he lost to drivers taking fewer tires, he made up quickly. At one of the pit stops his pit crew asked how the car was, and he replied "really good everywhere".

Not too many crashes this week. Bobby Labonte crashed twice, the second time quite hard. Clint Bowyer cut across JPM on lap 241 and ended up against the wall. I know JPM and controversy aren't normally far apart, but I didn't see what he did wrong this time. Bowyer didn't see it that way!.

Gordon had a fairly anonymous middle part of the race, but the adjustments made earlier started to pay off towards the end, giving him better long run speed. He managed to get past Jimmie Johnson and started to pull out a lead. Then Gordon got a vibration, but managed to stay out one lap longer than Johnson. He was looking good for the next 20 or so laps, but then his tires started to go off. Luckily (for him) the same happened to Johnson as soon as he caught up. The last laps were very exciting - at times it looked more like a drifting competition than a NASCAR race with both Gordon and Johnson getting sideways.

The post-race round-up celebrating Gordon's 85 wins seemed to feature a lot of pictures of his old, mustached look :).

Jeff-Gordon-mustache-before-and-after-500x350.jpg

Shame you had to miss the race Garrett, you didn't get to see the bright pink pace car - are they trying to expand the viewing demographic?. I got to see pretty much the whole race - I missed half of the first lap, and used to red flag period to cook dinner :).

Jeff Gordon had a fast car all day and often had at least a two second lead, but during the first half of the race his car was not good on long runs. His early pit stops were good, and whatever he lost to drivers taking fewer tires, he made up quickly. At one of the pit stops his pit crew asked how the car was, and he replied "really good everywhere".

Not too many crashes this week. Bobby Labonte crashed twice, the second time quite hard. Clint Bowyer cut across JPM on lap 241 and ended up against the wall. I know JPM and controversy aren't normally far apart, but I didn't see what he did wrong this time. Bowyer didn't see it that way!.

Gordon had a fairly anonymous middle part of the race, but the adjustments made earlier started to pay off towards the end, giving him better long run speed. He managed to get past Jimmie Johnson and started to pull out a lead. Then Gordon got a vibration, but managed to stay out one lap longer than Johnson. He was looking good for the next 20 or so laps, but then his tires started to go off. Luckily (for him) the same happened to Johnson as soon as he caught up. The last laps were very exciting - at times it looked more like a drifting competition than a NASCAR race with both Gordon and Johnson getting sideways.

The post-race round-up celebrating Gordon's 85 wins seemed to feature a lot of pictures of his old, mustached look :).

Jeff-Gordon-mustache-before-and-after-500x350.jpg

Well Hoss, you just had to go rub it in, now don't you? Not bad enough I can't watch his eighty-fifth win, I can't even give a half decent review on it. So frustrated right now...but that is life I guess. Just excited he won. Heard most of it on the radio and the end did sound exciting...love JJ, but would have been upset if he had stole the win from Gordon as he was trying to do. HA HA.

Heard Bowyer's side of the wreck and whether or not JPM was at fault, do understand his being upset. Now, in order to get in the chase, he'll need to win at Richmond. His hopes are pretty much done right now...as far as JPM I will keep my opinions to myself. I didn't see who was at fault, so will keep my opinions to myself on that part...

I heard they had a show or whatever for Gordon's 85th win after the race on ESPN...very upset that I had to miss that. Dang rain anyways...or dang work. LOL. Miss all the good stuff doing taht.

I had Bobby Labonte on my fantasy team last week...for Atlanta and each time I heard him wrecking thought of that. I think he slowed me down from climbing much in points that I got from Edwards top five finish...sadly I only had Gordon as my bench driver.

Glad you got to watch it Hoss...count me jealous! Rain or shine, I refuse to miss the race at Richmond this upcoming Saturday night!!! HA HA.

Talking about the races...they will be racing at Chicagoland in another week and a half. A track where I rode in Richard Petty's driving Experience. Awesome ride to ride around the track as the drivers do! I may have a slim chance to go on a bus ride to go see the race...opener of the chase! How awesome would that be! LOL. I will find out for sure one way or another tomorrow. It all depends on another person and price. Don't have a whole lot of money right now to be spending, but if the opportunity arises for me to go to a NASCAR Sprint Cup race, don't see how I could resist that! (Though...*sigh* knowing my luck, if I ever did get to go to a race, Gordon would wreck on the first lap...that'd be the longest race ever!)

You can see the last 11 laps here - JJ really slides around a lot in the last two laps.

The Bowyer/JPM incident is here.

Thanks Hoss for the links! I finally got to watch Gordon's victory spin out...very excited about. Though that would have been a torture for me to watch if I had been able to on Tuesday...talk about an high energy and exciting finish! I'd have been on my feet pacing the floor while yelling at Gordon to hit it! LOL. Y'all know I love JJ ALMOST (Gordon will always be my favorite driver...) as much as I do as Gordon, but would have been highly upset if Gordon had lost this race (especially after being robbed of the win at Bristol a week or two ago!). It was hard for me to sit and watch it now knowing Gordon had won it...very close race. A race I am glad Gordon won. I may be highly biased in saying this, but 85 wins says A LOT about him! Making him the third winningest driver...also says a lot about him. (He may or may not reach number two, but no one will ever reach Richard Petty's 200 wins. Mainly because in ol' Petty's days, they raced several races a week, not just one. And pretty much year round...what a great time that had to have been!) Thanks for the link...really enjoyed watching it!

As for Montoya and Bowyer, Bowyer may have been at fault there, but it did show Montoya bumping Bowyer earlier than that. Bet Bowyer is spitting mad. The only way he can get into the chase now is if he wins the race tonight - feel bad for him. He's a great guy, great driver. As for Montoya, my opinion, with his reputation and how he races people, it would be easy to think it was him.

Richmond is tonight at 6:00 Central time on ABC...night racing. Gotta love it! I do at least. Not only that, after tonight's race, we will know who will be in and who will be out of the chase. Chase starts next Sunday at Chicagoland! Six drivers are for sure in...as fas as I know, those are all that are set. Am highly hoping Jr will get a good finish to enter the chase...he's had a pretty good year compared to the last few years he's had and feel like he deserves to be in. (By the way, he just signed a five year contract with Hendrick to longer his stay at HMS...very happy to have him on Gordon's team!) Am highly looking forward to the race tonight...it better NOT rain or anything else to perlong my NASCAR withdrawl! HA HA.

LET'S GO JEFF GORDON AND TEAM 24!! LET'S GO FOR WIN NUMBER 86!!!!

Wow! Talk about a high energy and a high accident race. Fifteen cautions throughout the four hundred laps. Don't even know where to begin...know I'll miss something. Jr struggled all day and ended up in two accidents and gaining the lucky dog three times to get back on the lead lap all three times. But through out his rough race, made it into the chase!

Kurt Busch and Jimmie Johnson has had a long history with one another. Kurt spun Jimmie Johnson out...looks like not on purpose, but think Johnson took it as it being on purpose. Johnson went after Kurt and spun him out. Just an odd night for team forty-eight. Johnson is normally calm and collected, not his style going after another driver like that. Kurt Busch went on to get a top ten finish...Johnson took it to the garage for eight laps before coming back out. Sad to see Johnson have such a tough night.

Kasey Kahne got spun out once and then twice when Ambrose bumped into Vickers. (Kahne's team mate) Vickers got mad and wrecked Ambrose under caution...NASCAR parked him for several laps.

Gordon had an up and down night...was twentieth at one point, but his crew got his car in gear and he raced his way past Kevin Harvick with 22 laps to go. Only for Paul Menard to spin out and throw a caution...Harvick's crew got his car out first while Gordon came out of pits second. Gordon got passed by a couple of cars at first but was able to race on for a third place finish. Great finish for team 24, but disappointed with the caution. Was tasting the win at that point!

Kevin Harvick held off Carl Edwards to win his fourth win of the season...

Here is the top ten finish of Richmond:

1. Kevin Harvick

2. Carl Edwards

3. Jeff Gordon

4. David Ragen

5. Kurt Busch

6. Kyle Busch

7. Tony Stewart

8. Ryan Newman

9. Denny Hamlin

10. Mark Martin

Well the regular season is now over and the chase is on starting at Chicagoland next Sunday on ESPN...meaning there is only ten races left of the season. So hard to believe that we are at this point of the season already. It has gone by so quickly so far and now the last ten will go by just as fast...sadly.

Thanks for the review Garrett. I had a feeling I'd have to rely on you for the result :). I fell asleep with Gordon in the lead with about 20 laps to go. I woke up just after the finish and wondered what had happened. I know you like night races, but they don't finish until around 4am in my time zone :(.

If you get up at 7am (your time, 8am ET) on September 25th you can see how F1 does night races. They're off to Singapore for a fully floodlit street race.

Thanks for the review Garrett. I had a feeling I'd have to rely on you for the result :). I fell asleep with Gordon in the lead with about 20 laps to go. I woke up just after the finish and wondered what had happened. I know you like night races, but they don't finish until around 4am in my time zone :(.

If you get up at 7am (your time, 8am ET) on September 25th you can see how F1 does night races. They're off to Singapore for a fully floodlit street race.

You are very welcome...you know how much I love talking about the races and NASCAR!

I feel for you...you are way more dedicated to a sport that's not your number one favorite sport than I would be to stay up that late. It was an exciting race last night...that is for sure. Just wish Gordon would have ended the way you fell asleep.

I am out of town that weekend...but would normally still be in bed at that time. :) My w eekenedns are my time to catch up on some zzzs. LOL.

Glad you got to watch most of it Hoss...you didn't miss much after that time!

I am out of town that weekend...but would normally still be in bed at that time. :)

Here's a trailer for the Singapore race from a couple of years ago so you can see what you're missing:

As far as I can tell, it features footage from the 2008 race when the cars looked quite different. The crash at 1:03 later proved to be very controversial when the driver (Nelson Piquet Jr.) claimed to have been told to crash on purpose to bring out a safety car and help his team-mate win - it wasn't F1's finest hour.

Hoss, tried playing your video and my computer is being ornery and freezing up on it. :(

Sunday's race is at Chicagoland...am super excited for it! Well as always, but Chicagoland is a track that I have been at. Sadly not for a race, but to ride in Richard Petty's driving Expereince. It was awesome and would love to go again! Nothing like going over a hundred miles per hour next to the wall as they do on the TV...only thing better is if the driver had been the king himself or Jeff Gordon. HA HA.

Almost had a chance to go this weekend to Chicagoland on a bus, but it didn't pan out :(. Which is probably for the best financially wise plus I'd be going alone on a bus full of people I don't know and was nervous about that. But it sounds like I may be going next year...but knowing my luck, Gordon will get spun out on the first lap and won't be able to come back in.

Anyway, as I said, Sunday's race is at Chicagoland at 2:00 EST on ESPN (I think). And since we got the twelve chase contenders set for 2011, it will also start the chase! Am I the only one depressed knowing that means we only have ten races until the end? I am excited to see who will win the championship since there seems to be people online pointing at Gordon to break JJ's streak of championships...which also makes me nervous as well. Could this possibly be the year he finally clinches his drive for five? I really hope so...would love to experience that. Know he has four already, but I had only been a fan of his for the last two of them and when he won them, I didn't know enough to know he won them!

But really don't want to see the season come to an end...those ninety some days until Daytona is the LONGEST days ever for me!

Chicagoland at 2 EST on ESPN for the start of the 2011 chase to see which of the twelve drivers will be the 2011 championship.

Well if y'all haven't guessed or saw it, we are under rain delay at Chicago. :( Have been waiting all day for it to get started. Though Chicagoland has lights so they may be racing under the lights tonight...which would be great with me. I just hope they get the race in tonight. Would hate to miss a Chicagoland race. RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY, COME BACK ANOTHER NON RACING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I didn't get to watch today's...er yesterday's race that was raced today due to having to be at work. It is hard enough having to go back to work after an extended three day weekend, but even more so knowing there is a race on TV and I got to miss it. Especially Chicagoland. :( Very frustrated. But it looks like to this Jeff Gordon fan, I didn't miss much other than him running out of gas on the last lap or so. Sounds like he battled handling all day with his car, but at the end, it was the shortage of gas that cost him and led him to a twenty-fourth finish. I love the number 24 as much as I do 01, but really hate to see Gordon finish at his number. He now sits eleventh in points and twenty-five points behind point leader Kevin Harvick.

Junior fans should be proud of their driver who had the best finish he has had in a LONG time. He came home third and climbed up a lot in points.

Sorry for the really bad race summary. I am too tired to really read up on anything right now and I didn't get to see the race. Just know where Gordon finished up at and that Tony Stewart won his first race of the season today. At least I picked him as my fantasy driver...HA HA. Something good came out of it.

Sounds like Gordon is not the only one with gas problems...Johnson coasted to the finish line as did Ryan Newman. Kyle Busch and Matt Kenseth, who was the pole setter and led a lot of laps, ran out. Guess Kenseth was getting pushed by JJ Yeley on the final lap while being eightth but NASCAR docked Kenseth since they are not to be assisted on the last lap. He ended up 21st. Three chase contenders right there. Just very disappointing for me.

Here is how they came across the finish line...top ten...

1. Tony Stewart

2. Kevin Harvick

3. Dale Earnhardt Jr

4. Carl Edwards

5. Brad Keselowski

6. Kurt Busch

7. Clint Bowyer

8. Ryan Newman

9. Mark Martin

10. Jimmie Johnson

Once again, too lazy to go to the other thread. Here is the top twelve in points (chase drivers):

1. Kevin Harvick

2. Tony Stewart (who climbed 7 positions with his win) -7

3. Carl Edwards

4. Kurt Busch

5. Dale Earnhardt Jr (climbed 5 positions)

6. Brad Keselowski

7. Ryan Newman

8. Jimmie Johnson

9. Kyle Busch

10. Matt Kenseth

11. Jeff Gordon (who dropped 8 positions. :( :( very sad racing day!)

12. Denny Hamlin

We are off to New Hampshire next Sunday afternoon...which I will be out of town and will be left to read about it afterwards. Already feel the withdrawl begin to kick in here. Hate missing races. But am looking forward to seeing Gordon climb out of this hole and return to championship shape...hopefully starting next weekend. :D

Well I am currently watching the Chicago Cubs game against the Brewers...and guess who's going to sing "Take me out to the ball game" in the middle of the seventh inning...

Kurt Busch who also threw the opening pitch (didn't see it...) not a Kurt Busch fan, but always nice to see my two favorite sports collide. JJ threw the opening pitch at Wrigley a couple of months ago and several years ago Jeff Gordon did sing "Take me Out to the Ball game" at a Cubs game...and got booed for calling Wrigley Field - Wrigley Stadium. Very disappointed with Cubs fans to boo such a great guy like JG!

Don't know if I'll stay up to see Kurt Busch sing, but do know he is a Cubs fan...as is Jimmie Johnson.

If anyone is wondering...thanks to Geovany Soto's two run home run he just hit, the Cubs are currently leadin 2-1 against the Brewers in the bottom of the third. LET'S GO CUBS...LET'S GET SOME RUNS!!!!!!!!!! :D

(Sorry to post that here...my short review of the race is post previously on this thread if y'all are looking for it...)

Well once again, I missed the race. :( I was told Kasey Kahne led a lot of laps but with fifteen or so laps to go, he pitted and no one else did. He finished fifteenth out of it. Gordon led a lot of laps, but came home fourth after running low on fuel or something like that. Tony Stewart went on to win his second straight race of the season and is now leading in the points where as Jimmie Johnson as at a low of tenth place right now after having an 18th place finish yesterday. Junior finished 17th.

Sorry for the lack of a review...unless it rains at Dover next Sunday, I'll be watching it and having a much better and more detailed review.

As for the points...this is how they look now (from Yahoo!'s NASCAR page...)

1. Tony Stewart

2. Kevin Harvick

3. Brad Keselowski

4. Carl Edwards

5. Jeff Gordon

6. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

6. Matt Kenseth

6. Kyle Busch

9. Kurt Busch

10. Jimmie Johnson

11. Ryan Newman

12. Denny Hamlin

I watched about the last 75 laps, and not much happened. JG was leading when I tuned in, but slipped back to about 10th because they had to restart his car at the pit stop. He made it up to 3rd, and less than a second behind the leader, before dropping back to save fuel. Meanwhile, Clint Bowyer took the lead for a while, but ran out of fuel with 3 laps to go, leaving an easy win for Smoke.

I watched about the last 75 laps, and not much happened. JG was leading when I tuned in, but slipped back to about 10th because they had to restart his car at the pit stop. He made it up to 3rd, and less than a second behind the leader, before dropping back to save fuel. Meanwhile, Clint Bowyer took the lead for a while, but ran out of fuel with 3 laps to go, leaving an easy win for Smoke.

Thanks for the update. Knew it had to do something with fuel with JG, but that is about it. Really dislike missing the races...feel like I miss out on everything.

Dang...Clint Bowyer was on my fantasy team this week. None of my drivers did well that I picked. Too bad I can't pick JG every week...

Am starting to pick up that you are beginning to be a Stewart fan, Hoss. Am I right or will you be brave enough to admit to it? HA HA :escape:

All I have to say about yesterday's winner is...:censored:

Ah MaryAnne, you didn't disappoint me. I thought you may have felt something like that when I heard who had won. If it gives you any consultation any, I wasn't all that happy about it either...though do have to admit I can stand him a lot more now that I could a few years ago..and can think of a couple of other drivers I would be more upset over winning than Stewart. . .