2011 Sprint Cup race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Well Roger - I was rooting for Jr to win after Johnson's engine blew and Gordon was all the way back where he was. Too bad for your friend...he got to see a lot of action though.

As for the language that Chad had used...I didn't hear what he said or realized he swore until the announcers apologized for him. Hoss is probably right, he didn't know he was being monitored on TV. Though people can pay to listen into their radio so that doesn't make him safe from kids not hearing them. And I imagine, especially with some of the drivers out there, there is a lot of cussing going on on their radio and people listening into their radio should be prewarned about it. Chad was upset and said it while upset. I don't see NASCAR or anyone penalyzing him for it since it was on his radio and not to a TV announcer or something like that.

I remember the year Juan Pablo Montoya first came to NASCAR, he cussed Gordon over his radio for not letting Montoya pass Gordon (Gordon was a lap down trying to get his lap back, Montoya was on the lead lap...second or so )...after the race, Montoya cussed Johnson out during a post race interview on TV for not allowing Montoya to pass him to win the race . NASCAR didn't penalyze Montoya at all. I remember Harvick and Stewart cussing on TV and nothing...

But a year or two before all that...back when Jr was winning. He won a race and was excited afterwards and said the s word. He got fined twenty five points.

Last year at Texas, Kyle Busch was caught speeding on pit road. He got mad at the NASCAR official who was holding him back and gave him the bird. He got held for two laps, fined, and put on probation until the end of the year. (Same race that Gordon got into a shoving match with Burton...)

It may not be appropriate for kids to hear such stuff, but Chad was upset over what had happened and had no way of knowing that FOX was airing what he was saying on the radio. I highly doubt that NASCAR will say or do anything about it. I remember a couple other times where soemthign like that happen and the announcers apologizing for it. Drivers get upset...as do the crews...and things are said out of emotion.

I guess I would feel differently about it all if he had said it to the TV reporters knowing kids would be watching on TV. As Montoya, Harvick, Stewart, and Jr had done. Don't understand how NASCAR can penalyze a driver like Jr who says it out of excitement and even admitted he wanted to see what they would do and not to Harvick who was upset or Montoya who was disappointed with his second place finish. NASCAR seems to have double standards when it comes to penalying people...

Well I have to humbly admit that I am not perfect and that sometimes I make mistakes...even when it comes to NASCAR. Shocking, I know. LOL. And now I am here to admit to my mistake...though honestly, it's not my fault.

Sunday's Sprint Cup race at Kansas will be at one EST as I had said it would, but it will be on FOX. And NOT TNT as I had posted in my earlier post a couple of days ago. They will be racing on Fox on Sunday for the last time this season and next Sunday they will be on TNT. I am sorry for giving y'all the wrong information about the channels!

But as I said, this time, it's not my fault. I bought NASCAR Illustrated 2011 Season Preview at the beginning of the season that gives fantasy picks and driver and track info. I then subscribed to NASCAR illustrated and got my first magazine last week...Anyway, they both have schedules in it with the channels it will be on. In the season preview it says that they will be on TNT this weekend. While my newer magazine says Fox on it...I just checked NASCAR.com and it says the races is on FOX.

I am very glad to get another race on FOX with Darrell Waltrip, Jeff Hammond and crew. I missed last week's prerace show and was disappointed to miss thier last pre race show (I really like their prerace show!) and am very glad to get another last chance to watch them. I am sure glad that I caught that mistake on the magazine part...I would have been very upset if I turned it onto TNT to watch the race and it not be on and all.

We are entering race number thirteen - halfway through the regular season before the chase starts. Hard to believe...at least for me. Meaning Gordon has thirteen more races to get his act together and start winning races. At least do better than he has been if he is wanting to have a chance at making the chase this year.

REMINDER: SPRINT CUP RACE AT KANSAS ON JUNE 5 AT ONE EST. ON CHANNEL FOX! :D

Well the Sprint Cup race at Kansas, last race on FOX, has just finished. Kurt Busch led from the pole and led a lot of laps. Once again it all came down to a fuel run and who made the right fuel choices on pit stops and so forth. Though not everyone ran out of gas this time. . .just a lot of drivers had to make a short pit stops right at the end that were close to the front of the field. Though Brad Keselowski was able to hold onto his gas to win the race...Dale Jr who had more gas than Keselowski, came in second.

1. Brad Keselowski

2. Dale Earnhardt Jr

3. Denny Hamlin

4. Jeff Gordon

5. Carl Edwards

6. Matt kenseth

7. Jimmie Johnson

8. Tony Stewart

9. Kurt Busch

10. Greg Biffle

Next Sunday's race will be on TNT...

Here is the top ten starting drivers for the race at Pocono tomorrow:

1 Kurt Busch (Second pole in a row now)

2 Paul Menard

3 Jeff Gordon (YAY finally a good starting position!)

4 Denny Hamlin

5 Regan Smith

6 Carl Edwards

7 Marcos Ambrose (Great to see the driver from down under have a good starting spot as well!)

8 Ryan Newman

9 David Reutimann

10 Mark Martin

Sprint Cup Series will be racing at Pocono. A race that is generally won by Denny Hamlin as of late and a track that is more of a shape of a triangle with three curves instead of an oval that they are used to.

The race or race coverage will start at 1:00 EST on channel TNT (NOT FOX). (I really wish they would keep it on FOX for a few reasons, but I guess they didn't ask me. Oh well, guess I should just be happy to have a NASCAR race to watch. :))

Despite my complaining against the race being on TNT...still wish it was on FOX...but this is awesome. TNT has a Racebuddy on the computer where you can watch the race on computer, listen to select drivers, and have different views of the race. They have it on NASCAR.com for free today. Am now watching the race on the computer and on TV. Only complaint being is that the computer is slower than live tv. But it is very awesome to watch. Always heard about it, but never seen it til now. Don't know if I'd pay for it or not, but it is fun to watch while it is for free.

The only big thing happen in the race so far is that Carl Edwards went to the garage for car trouble. NASCAR has warned Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch to race nicely with each other when Kevin Harvick (who punched Kyle last month, his car owner Richard Childress punched Kyle last weekend) kept running behind Kyle Busch to mess with him. My opinion, it was all Kevin and NASCAR shoudl have just been talking to him.

Keselowski had to pit for a lose tire or something like that. JJ ran out of gas on his way to pit but didn't hurt him too bad. Juan Pablo Montoya is leading right now, Hamlin who has led most of the race so far is second, and Jeff Gordon is third.

Just had to let y'all know about Race Buddy right now while it is on. Am in heaven right now being able to watch the race on TV and computer. :D:popcorn:

As I posted earlier during the race, there wasn't a lot of wrecks or cautions. The cautions were for debris. I got to watch Jr on Race Buddy...that was fun! Too bad I can't do that more often or follow Gordon. Still fun to do.

Jeff Gordon started third today and hung out around there all day...but ended up the race first. JEFF GORDON WON POCONO...fifth Pocono race win to his career and places him in third place for all time win list. Think he ties Darrell Waltrip. :D It may have been plagued boring by some, but it was a great race for this 24 fan :D.

Here is the top ten:

1. JEFF GORDON

2. Kurt Busch

3. Kyle Busch

4. Jimmie Johnson

5. Kevin Harvick

6. Dale Jr

7.Juan Pablo

8. Matt Kenseth

9. Ryan Newman

10. Martin Truex JR.

They raced at Michigan today...as I said, it was or is Gordon's favorite track. Sadly I am not as excited about the end of this race as I was last week. He started 31st and hung out in the twenties most of the race. Towards the later half, got into the top ten. Last pit stop, he took four tires, everyone else took two. He didn't even get a top ten finish today...as he finished seventeenth.

All in all, it was a bad race for all of my drivers. Johnson got a flat tire seven laps into the race and ended up 25th and two laps down. Dale Jr had a great first half of the race, but during the last half of the race he fell back. Towards the end, Mark Martin ran into Jr and ran him into the wall. Ten laps to go, Jr got a flat tire and ended 21st.

Had to feel bad for Jr with all them questions the reporter was asking him after the race. Kept asking him these questions when it was obvious he was upset, frustrated, and disappointed with the race. Think he was upset at how Mark Martin raced him. Ended up cussing at the reporter that kinda hushed the reporter up...

Carl Edwards led some laps before the final pit stop. Denny Hamlin came back out first and ended up going on to win the race.

All Gibbs drivers were caught with an illegal pan or some sort of car part in their cars and had to replace them before the race started. (Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, and Joey Lagano.)

Here is the top ten finishes:

1. Denny Hamlin

2. Matt Kenseth

3. Kyle Busch

4. Paul Menard

5. Carl Edwards

6. Ryan Newman

7. Tony Stewart

8. Clint Bowyer

9. Mark Martin

10. Brian Vickers

Next week we will be going to Sonoma for the first road course of the season. (First of two). BTW the last two races on TNT, I've been able to watch the race on tv and computer through Race Buddy on NASCAR.com where it gives you several views of the race with several options of the views...including four different drivers you can follow and listen into their radio. The last two races Race Buddy had been free and someone said it should be free the rest of the time it is on Race Buddy...just thought I'd let y'all know about it. I watched the race on TV and followed Dale Jr on the computer since they didn't have Gordon or Johnson as an option to follow. . .

Thanks for the update Garrett. I had to work. My NASCAR friend that I always talk about had to work too so he wasn't too happy about missing the race. On Friday he said he had a real strong feeling that Dale Jr was finally going to win one, so needless to say, he was pretty disappointed when he got home and found out about the wreck.

Sonoma just came to an end...and Roger, if you're watching the race...I bet you're happy. Kurt Busch dominated the race today...two stop race, and went on to win his first road race. Not a big KB fan, but congrats to Roger on his team winning today. :)

Tony Stewart seemed to revert back to his old attitude. He spun out Brian Vickers in the first half of the race. Later said that Vickers was blocking him and that anyone blocking him in the future will be spun. Well, Vickers got his retaliation towards the last half of the race. Was in fifth in positions and still had to pit when others had pitted...he then ran into the back of Tony Stewart where Tony got stuck on a pile of tires - his front tires on top of the pile of tires, his last two tires on track. Vickers just got done explaining his view and said he wasn't blocking Stewart, that Busch was to his side coming down, and McMurray was in f ront of him on the side...Stewart wasn't of his concern...I guess until Stewart wrecked him.

Well Jeff Gordon is known as the road course king...so I was excited for them to go road racing...only for him to hang out around 25th spot most of the race. Was very disappointed and was figuring that was where he'd finish at since he had a bad car that he said was plowing in the first half of the race. Well with a third of the race to go he somehow moved up into the top ten...either by racing or pit road strategy...was very excited, but didn't think it would last. Well...to my surprise it did. He went from seventh and drove his way to a second place finish! May not be number one, but on how bad his car was and where he was in teh first half of the race, it feels like a win!

Here is the top ten finishes of today's Sonoma race:

1. Kurt Busch

2. Jeff Gordon

3. Carl Edwards

4. Clint Bowyer

5. Marcos Ambrose

6. Joey Lagano

7. Jimmie Johnson

8. Martin Truex Jr

9. Kevin Haravick

10. Brad Keselowski

Well next Sunday we go night racing at Daytona! Nothing better than Daytona at night...we are back from where we started at in February.

Thanks for the update Garrett. (And for the good news). I had to work overtime again so I missed everything. In fact, your post is the first results I've seen. Luckily I don't have to work any more weekends for a couple more months.

Hmmm, I didn't see Dale mentioned in your review.

Well I am glad to hear that is your last weekend you'll have to work for a while...next Sunday is Daytona. You don't want to miss that! You are welcome for spreading good news...but in my opinion, it would have been much better news if Gordon had won it. LOL:escape: Though as I said in my review, him coming home second after the race he had, felt like a win. (Lucky for ol' KB that they didn't have any more laps. My boy Gordon woulda caught up and gave him a run for his money. HA HA After all, they don't call Gordon the road course king for nothing!)

And just because your driver took home the big check and trophy you felt obligated to rub Dale's bad fortunes in my face, is that it? Well I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't know since you didn't watch the race and will forgive you. LOL. (OK I had to give you a hard time Roger...Am disappointed with what happened to Jr, but would have been way more so if that were to happen to Johnson and even way more so if it was Gordon. . .)

Dale Earnhardt Jr's engine somehow got a hole in it half way through the race so it took Jr to the garage and gave Jr his first DNF of the season...and knocked him down to seventh in points. Though Jr and Jr nation shouldn't lose hope or give up hope on him and the great season he has had thus far...Daytona is next weekend and he's great at Daytona! (If I remember right, he doesn't do all that well on road courses to begin with...) I will be looking for him to rebound next Sunday night.

Sorry that I forgot to post Jr in my review...know a lot of people like him (including me) so do try to keep him in my review.

Next race is Saturday night at 7:30 EST on TNT...at Daytona. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to watch it due to a concert I am going to. Should be fun but hate the thought of missing a race. Though I really hope that they changed something so they don't have to do the two by two racing they did at Daytona in February, but I doubt that they did so. How much I liked Daytona, wish they could all just race and not the two by two that they did. Oh well...racing is racing, I guess.

Well I am not going to be of much help this week...I missed the race tonight. :( Miss Daytona...just ain't right. But I just read up on it or seen footage of it. David Ragen got his first Sprint Cup win tonight...after the win got stolen from him at the Daytona. Glad for him. Gordon got spun out at the end when Brian Vickers slid up into Kasey Kahne...Gordon did an awesome job of saving it and came home sixth or seventh!

Though sadly, all my fantasy NASCAR drivers finished poorly tonight...Bayne got caught up in the big one.

I apologize for my lack of a review here...went to a free outside concert tonight instead. Did try to record it, but don't know if I was able to do it right or not. Was a great night...great concert, but always sad to miss a race.

I watched the end Garrett and it was total chaos.

Since I was rooting for the Georgia boy David Ragan, I imagine you can understand my excitement. It was so close on the last lap I was certain something was going to go wrong.

You're right about Gordon's amazing recovery from the spin-out with 3 laps to go. My jaw literally dropped and I yelled "Whoa!". My wife was in the other room and I scared her a little because she thought something bad happened. I played it over and over and still can't figured out how he recovered from that. I guess it can be summed up in one word. SKILL

I called my Dale Jr friend and he wasn't too happy. I think he blames me for switching from Dale to David. Oh well, he's aware of my love of the Dukes and Peachtree Georgia is about as Dukes-like as you can get. (Although his website said he lived in some other town in Georgia....maybe it's nearby)

Sorry to hear you missed it. I'm glad to hear you had a fun concert though.

I watched the end Garrett and it was total chaos.

Since I was rooting for the Georgia boy David Ragan, I imagine you can understand my excitement. It was so close on the last lap I was certain something was going to go wrong.

You're right about Gordon's amazing recovery from the spin-out with 3 laps to go. My jaw literally dropped and I yelled "Whoa!". My wife was in the other room and I scared her a little because she thought something bad happened. I played it over and over and still can't figured out how he recovered from that. I guess it can be summed up in one word. SKILL

I called my Dale Jr friend and he wasn't too happy. I think he blames me for switching from Dale to David. Oh well, he's aware of my love of the Dukes and Peachtree Georgia is about as Dukes-like as you can get. (Although his website said he lived in some other town in Georgia....maybe it's nearby)

Sorry to hear you missed it. I'm glad to hear you had a fun concert though.

Thanks for the summary of the end of the race, Roger. I hate missing the races, but knew I'd regret missing the concert as well. Thought of you when I saw Ragen won...dang, I almost put him on my fantasy NASCAR team too, but went with Trevor Bayne instead. think I put a curse on the drivers I chose. Oh well. Saw some of the big one...was that big accident at the end of the race? What happened to Dale Jr? He finished 19th . . .another driver I chose for my team. LOL.

I was getting upset when I saw online about Gordon spinning. Played the video and was very impressed with Gordon's recovery...and I think you are right. His skill and talent came into play with that one. Very relieved with his sixth place finish after seeing that...thought he'd be finishing in the back fo the pack when I saw he spun out like that. (Moves him up to eightth in points!)

Thanks again Roger!

Very relieved with his sixth place finish after seeing that...thought he'd be finishing in the back fo the pack when I saw he spun out like that. (Moves him up to eightth in points!)

Thanks again Roger!

To be honest with you I stopped paying attention to Jeff Gordon after that close call and unbelievable recovery. I was so focused on David Ragan I wasn't even noticing the others who weren't directly beside him. When they posted the results seconds after the checkered flag I was pleasantly surprised to see he finished sixth. Well, I say "pleasantly" for your sake of course because I thought of you.

Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure why Dale Jr finished so low. He was down when I turned it on.

I've watched the last couple of races on Race Buddy, but this one was too late for me, so I watched the highlights tonight. I have to agree that Jeff Gordon did a good job to hold it together, but the drivers around also did a good job avoiding him. He was also lucky to be turned with the nose of his car facing the center of the track, unlike a couple of the earlier spins. If anyone hasn't seen the spin, you can see it here. The two crashes on the green-white-checker laps are here and here. That's two weeks in a row where there's going to be a lot of work for the bodyshop.

I haven't seen Carl Edwards mentioned in the write-up here. He got some right rear damage from an early crash which caused his cabin to fill with exhaust gas that made him sick. A couple of pit stops sorted out the problem, but he was 25 laps down.

Thanks for the update on Edwards, Hoss. I didn't see anything on him when I checked things out. Thanks for the videos as well...

Your forgiven Roger for not caring "too" much for Gordon...I am the same way with Gordon. He's my main concern before thinking of other people's favorite drivers and so forth.

Next week's race is at Kentucky...first ti me Sprint Cup has or will race there. Think Nationwide Series has raced there before.