Vector Art 101

HossC

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I've had a few questions about how my pictures are done, most recently from dukefan1, so I thought I'd try a brief explanation. I'm not saying this is the right way, just my way.

Most of the computer images we deal with everyday are some kind of bitmap ie. a rectangular block made up of a grid of different colored dots or 'pixels'. This includes everything from drawings done in MS Paint to digital photos. They're very convenient for most purposes, but do have limitations. Vector graphics are stored as an outline shape and a fill color which makes them ideal for this sort of artwork.

In the example below, the top circle is a bitmap that has been scaled up to 6 times it's original size, showing what happens when you try to zoom in too far. The lower circle is just a circle that has been filled in red. No matter how big you make it, it's still a red circle (NB. The typefaces you use are all stored as vectors, that's why they look smooth no matter how big you print them).

Demo1.jpg

By using 'fountain fills' you can add depth to flat shapes:

Demo3.jpg

When I start one of these pieces of artwork, the first thing I do is collect together a load of reference photos. Some of these are screengrabs to show how the vehicle appeared in the series, others are usually larger images of standard (non-Dukes) vehicles that I find online. To get started, I try to straighten/distort the image to look right, then draw over it to make the vector version. In the image below I started with the straightened out bitmap, drew some lines over it (bright colors help them stand out - I hope the green, blue and yellow lines are visible), 'welded' and 'trimmed' the outlines, then filled in the colors. This gives a good starting point, but almost always needs a fair bit of work to be consistent with the other parts. For example, the light below still needs shading and some detail work.

Demo2.jpg

Some of the smaller details can't really be seen in the screengrabs. Here I find that eBay is a good source of photos from people selling parts such as lights or emblems. Below is an enlarged view of the lightbar from my recent version of Rosco's patrol car:

Demo4.jpg

If I had a talent for drawing or painting (like i1976, MaryAnne or even Jimmie), I'd probably do that to relax. As it is, I do these. Once again, thanks for the positive feedback, and while I'm not claiming to be a expert, I'll try to answer any questions you have.

So THAT's how ya do it! Sonofagun.

I have an even greater appreciation for the talent now, Hoss, as I just went into my photo manip program and tinkered around with doing the vector drawing on a screengrab (actually, on a photo of my own car. LOL). It involves an attention to detail (and a finesse with the "pen" tool. LOL). My lil' drawings that I did on that folder were done via tracing, in a way the vector art is similar. Still, you do excellent work and I can't wait to see what more masterpieces you come up with! Khee!

Some day, I'm gonna have to do some fan art. I'm my own worst critic, but I'm a pretty fair artist. I did a pencil drawn portrait of Peaches on one of my visits to Jimmie's and he seemed impressed. LOL.

That said, I don't think I have the patience at the moment to do vector art like you do, Hoss. LOL.